“Birthday trip to Manchester”

Mercure Manchester Norton Grange Hotel and Spa
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Rochdale
Lancaster, United Kingdom
“Birthday trip to Manchester”
Reviewed 5 February 2014

My partner booked a night for us at the Norton Grange in january and after a day shopping in and around manchester we arrived for a relaxing evening . The staff on reception were very welcoming and greeted us in a polite and friendly manner and explained as there was a function on in the main restaurant we could book a table in the bar bistro at our lesiure . Our room was great! clean well appointed and what we would hope to expect. We spent a very nice evening in the bar having our meal and a few drinks generally feeling looked after and relaxed . The pair us slept very well in our massive bed and wandered down for breakfast being greeted with a "good morning " and a smile from all the staff around the building. Breakfast was perfect ! everything you could imagine or want and we both had our fill trying a little bit of everything. Checking out was as efficiant and pleasent as when we arrived and we left very happy with our stay .

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Damon_YoxallH6631, General Manager at Mercure Manchester Norton Grange Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, 6 February 2014
Dear Guest

Wow what a great review! I am pleased that you enjoyed your visit to Norton Grange and I will ensure your comments are passed onto the rest of the team.

Damon Yoxall

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (163)
  • Polish first
oldham
Reviewed 3 February 2014

Had to turn to Trip Advisor to write a review on just how special our day was for our wedding at The Mecure Manchester Norton Grange Hotel and Spa.From the first time that we arrived for a wedding fayre my husband and i were made to feel more than welcome and at ease. We were taken under the wing of one of the wedding co ordinators Kelly Cawley, (mentioning names as the es people made our wedding), nothing was to much trouble and with a long run until the big day , no number of emails or frantic phone calls were to much trouble The tasting took place for the menu a few months before the event, we didnt feel the meal was up to scratch, we made the nessecary people aware, and BOY DID THEY GET IT RIGHT ON THE NIGHT!!The big day approached and we were introduced to Joanne the duty manager who on the day would take care of our every need, a very friendly person who i was sure would do everything need to make everything run smoothly for our guest( And thats exactly what she did.) A fabulous event enjoyed by all, rooms including the bridal suite beautifully clean and tidy, staff couldnt do enough for us or any of our wedding party. Breakfast wonderfulfor all the guest who stayed after the wedding We would recommend this hotel to any one, we have been to may hotels and resturants and we havent found nicer staff or better attention to detail for a day so important. So many compliments from guest and friends to say a fantastic day.Thanks Norton Grange and all your staff for everything.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Dear Guest

First of all congratulations on your wedding, I trust all is going well. Thank you for your great comments I will pass them on to all the staff involved, look forward in seeing you back at the hotel for your anniversary celebrations!

Livingston, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 February 2014

I enjoyed my stay. I arrived about 3:30 pm & didn't have to leave until after 9am in the morning, so for a business trip, it was unusually relaxed.
The atmosphere in the bar was good and we ate in the bar too.
The menu was identical to that of another Mercure Hotel I stayed in a few weeks earlier, so I'm guessing that the local chef doesn't have much of a say, but the food was VERY good despite that, Breakfast was also good, although I didn't find the bread till it was too late!
My main issue was with the lack of cleanliness in the bedroom. See the photos! Vacuuming could be done better. The sheets could have been cleaner.
The other thing I noticed immediately on walking into the bedroom corridor, was the smell of the drains. I ran water down my shower, bath and sink and closed the plug holes where possible. Not a total solution, but it stopped the smell a bit. Next morning the smell had built up during the night. This is something that frequent disinfectant down each plug hole would cure - along with regular plunging.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank JamesDeans86
Dear Guest

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay with us. It’s pleasing to note that you enjoyed the majority of your stay and food. Your comments have been taken on board regarding the poor standard of cleaning in the room; I have spoken with my housekeeping company to address these issues.

Boston Spa, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 January 2014

I visited this hotel as part of a mystery weekend and can only say coach party travellers are not treated as well as independent guests.

On arrival we had to immediately fill in our evening meal choices from a very limited menu. Melon or soup for starters, chicken or stuffed peppers for the main course and fruit salad or fudge cake for dessert. The table was missing a cruet and there were mugs with teaspoons inside on the table for our beverages. The melon was under-ripe and the main course was already plated with a small portion of chicken, a spoonful of carrot batons and half a. dozen extremely small and soft roasted potatoes, all of which were smothered in gravy. The fruit salad however was excellent. We were not accommodated in the main restaurant but in a small function room not adjacent to the kitchen. For a 4* hotel I would have expected silver service or a least more than one vegetable served in a separate dish.

We were not looking forward to breakfast but were pleasantly surprised. We were seated in the main restaurant which was very pleasant and the food was superb.

If in the area I would stay at the Norton Grange again but only as an independent traveller. As we were only staying one night we did not take advantage of the spa but understand it is very popular. The front of house and waiters were efficient and friendly. The bedroom was light and airy with good quality bed linen. We did have to ask for extras such as "normal" tea as our refreshment tray only contained Earl Grey and two white sugars.

Room Tip: Ground floor rooms start with a 1 First floor with a 2 Second floor with a 3
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
Damon_YoxallH6631, General Manager at Mercure Manchester Norton Grange Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, 30 January 2014
Dear guest

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay with us. I have spoken with the team regarding the process of pre orders for large parties and we have changed this because of recent comments. Its pleasing to see that you enjoyed our great breakfast and rooms.

scotland
Reviewed 15 January 2014 via mobile

I visit Rochdale regularly for work and always stay elsewhere. I fancied a change so tried the Norton Grange. I was disappointed. From check in until check out the service was poor, staff take little interest in you. The room was dusty on arrival and was not cleaned the three days of my stay. After reading reviews regarding hair in the bath I was appalled to see this in my bath!!! I was disgusted ordered via room service was vile, hard vegetables and soggy pasta. I use Mercure a lot however this stay has made me very cautious.

• Stayed January 2014
Damon_YoxallH6631, General Manager at Mercure Manchester Norton Grange Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, 27 January 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for your recent review following on from your stay with us. I am sorry that we did not meet your expectations and I am investigating the issues that you encountered during your stay.
If you would like to speak with me regarding your stay please do call me direct at the hotel.

Damon Yoxall
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rochdale
Best Western Hotel Smokies Park
Birch Hotel
Birch Hotel
#1 of 1 in Heywood
Comfort Inn Manchester North

Been to Mercure Manchester Norton Grange Hotel and Spa? Share your experiences!