“Will not return”

Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Rochdale
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Will not return”
Reviewed 17 March 2014

Me and my boyfriend decided to stay at the Norton Grange for our one year anniversary. We had previously visited with work and found the service and food excellent.
On arrival, we checked in and went up to our executive room which we had paid extra for. We were supposed to have drinks, dressing gowns and toiletries but none of these were in the room. I phoned reception who apologised and sent these things to our room. The member of staff who brought them knocked on the door but then just let herself in. Good job we weren't getting changed! The room was spacious and clean and the bed was very comfy.
The jacuzzi and pool area is nice but was very busy, it was a Saturday afternoon though so was to be expected.
We had booked our evening meal for 8pm, we were quickly seated and our drinks order was taken. 25 minutes later, the drinks arrived and the waitress said she would be back in a minute to take our food order. She never returned and we were waiting for an hour before my boyfriend found a member of staff and asked if we could place our order. We both decided to order a starter and main course. I chose the shepherds pie croquettes and my boyfriend chose prawn and crayfish cocktail. For mains, I had steak and my boyfriend chose the double burger. I asked for my steak to be cooked medium, it arrived well done and very tough. My boyfriend's burgers were also over-cooked. We decided not to send our food back as it was now half past 9, 1 1/2 hours after we had originally sat down. On leaving the resturant, I overheard another man complaining about his wife's medium steak being well done and tough.
This hotel seemed to be good value for money when we booked but after our night here, it is cheaper for a reason.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Damon_YoxallH6631, General Manager at Mercure Manchester Norton Grange Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, 18 March 2014
Dear Guest

I am really sorry that you encountered problems within the restaurant on Saturday night. We had several issues with staffing and were let down in both the kitchen and restaurant, I am dealing with the situation and understand your frustrations. We get it so right on some occasions but we are let down by the basics and a lack of planning which is totally unacceptable. I do remember you having your wedding with us a year ago and I am sorry that we could not match your expectations on your return visit. It would be great to invite you back to the hotel and if you wish to return I will ensure you are looked after, please feel free to call me should you wish to discuss.

Damon Yoxall

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (170)
  • Polish first
Reviewed 13 March 2014 via mobile

Stayed here on business for one night. Easy parking and check in with friendly staff. Room was ok, nothing more, no better than a Premier Inn in my opinion. The issues I had was that there was no kettle in the room and the basin cold tap was faulty to the extent that the best I could get out of it was barely a trickle. At breakfast, whoever had laid the table had forgotten my fork so that wasn't very helpful. Shame really because otherwise a good hotel.

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Damon_YoxallH6631, General Manager at Mercure Manchester Norton Grange Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, 17 March 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for your comments following on from your recent visit to Norton Grange. I am sorry to hear that you encountered some issues, it’s so important that we get our basics right and it seems as though we did not during your visit.

Thank you for your constructive comments.

Plymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 February 2014

This is my second time at this hotel and on this occasion I had more time and the opportunity to use the health club facilities. The hotel itself is well managed and the staff friendly and helpful, which is not always the case with international hotel chains. As per my previous visit, the food was excellent and reasonable. I was hesitant about the gym facilities as other Mercure hotels have left a lot to be desired but was pleasantly surprised by the new state-of-art equipment available. Easy parking, friendly service, good food and modern gym, the Grange delivered for me on the essentials for a business stop over.

Room Tip: Parking can be difficult when conferences are taking place. Some internal fire doors close with a mi...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Damon_YoxallH6631, General Manager at Mercure Manchester Norton Grange Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, 4 March 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for your comments following on from your visit to Norton Grange. It’s great to see that you enjoyed your stay; I will pass on your thought to the rest of the team and look forward in welcoming you back in the future.

cumbria uk
Reviewed 26 February 2014

Was treated to an overnighter at this hotel as part of a shopping trip to celebrate my birthday.
It ticked all the boxes for me , my daughter and 2 small grandcildren. The family room was huge although with some road noise I was not quite sure of why. Walk in shower and a bath was a bonus and the food in the restaurant great if a bit slow at dinner . Pool facilities good though personally would have preferred it warmer. Would definitely check out again if in the area.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Damon_YoxallH6631, General Manager at Mercure Manchester Norton Grange Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, 27 February 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay with us, great to see you enjoyed your visit. I will pass on your comments to the rest of the team.

Morecambe, England
Reviewed 23 February 2014 via mobile

Just returned from an overnight break with my best friend and we would both highly recommend. We booked the 'together revival break ' and upgraded to a bigger privilege twin with complimentary Nespresso and soft drinks and found this package to be excellent value for money. The facilities were fab and the food was delicious as was the presentation. We found the staff extremely friendly and helpful even there was a wedding and another function taking place, everyone was very attentive. The lovely Ryan pampered us in the treatment rooms and the whole experience was wonderful and we felt very 'privileged'. We will definitely be going back.

Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Guest
Thank you so much for your great review of the hotel. Its pleasing to get things so right on occasions, we do strive to please everyone during their stay which can sometimes be a challenge. Great to see you enjoyed it so much, I will pass on your comments to the rest of the team.

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 February 2014

I am a member of this club. Facilities good but front desk staff can be rude and obnoxious. The swimming pool is good, perfect temperature. This cannot be said of the hydro pool which can be on the cool side.

Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
Damon_YoxallH6631, General Manager at Mercure Manchester Norton Grange Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, 20 February 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for your comments. I will share these with Lynden the Leisure Club Manager and we will investigate the issues you faced on reception.

Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 February 2014 via mobile

Although I don't usually review hotels I felt that Norton Grange deserves better recognition. We checked in on the 1st for one night.

When we arrived the reception staff were lovely and asked if there was anything we needed. We had vouchers for the spa although we hadn't booked before we arrived (should definitely ring up and book straight away) luckily they had half an hour spare.

Room was a spacious double with tv, large bathroom and everything you could need. Bed was comfortable. No outside noise.

Spa and gym facilities were lovely. Pool, jacuzzi, steam room, sauna everything you could want.

However, our favourite part had to be dinner. We were greeted by Claire and taken to our table. Even though there was a few problems with our desserts she was so helpful and friendly, polite and professional about it. Brought our desserts out immediately and even offered to bring them up to our rooms. Even though there was a function going we felt very welcomed and valued and she definitely should be commended for her professionalism and courtesy.

Dear Guest

Thanks for your recent review. It’s always nice to receive such great comments I will pass on your thoughts to the rest of the team.

Damon Yoxall
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rochdale
Best Western Hotel Smokies Park
#1 of 1 in Heywood
Best Western Broadfield Park Hotel
Village Hotel Manchester Bury
Comfort Inn Manchester North

Been to Mercure Manchester Norton Grange Hotel and Spa? Share your experiences!