“great hotel for a relaxing weekend”

Mercure Manchester Norton Grange Hotel and Spa
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Rochdale
dublin,ireland
“great hotel for a relaxing weekend”
Reviewed 28 April 2014

We just got back from a very relaxing weekend in Middleton,thanks in no small way to the very friendly and helpfull staff.The hotel is a lovely olde world setting with luxurious bedrooms and facilities.We also found a lovely canal walk at the rear of the hotel.The town of Middleton is only two miles away and is well served by local cabs.
The food at the hotel was also a big plus.the breakfast was very good and plentyfull and the evening meal in the restraunt wasnt half bad either.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Damon_YoxallH6631, General Manager at Mercure Manchester Norton Grange Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, 30 April 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for your comments following on from you recent short break with us. It’s great to receive such great reviews I will pass on your thoughts to the rest of the team and look forward in welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Damon Yoxall

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (160)
  • Polish first
Yorkshire
Reviewed 27 April 2014

The hotel is okay and is probably one of the better ones in the Rochdale area. I have stayed here a lot during the 6 months I have been working in the Rochdale area and I have experienced a number of the bedrooms, the pool and have also had a couple of treatments at the Spa.
As a female business traveller, I prefer hotels to the ‘budget chains’ mainly due to wanting to feel safe and comfortable eating in a restaurant/bar in a hotel and also having the option to have room service. In this respect, the hotel is great, I never felt uncomfortable eating in the bar and there were frequently other lone women doing the same thing. The food isn’t badly priced but the cost of a glass of wine is expensive. The menu can become a bit boring if staying for a long period of time and there weren’t always ‘specials’ to choose from.
The rooms are unimpressive and could do with some updating. The beds are comfortable and large but the furniture and carpets are very ‘tired’. I was upgraded to a premium room a couple of times (once unexpectedly before Christmas and the second time after there were issues with both of the standard rooms I had been allocated). The lighting in all grade rooms is energy efficient bulbs and is very gloomy and you need a degree in technology to turn the TV on! Free wi-fi is good, but that is standard with Accor hotels anyway. The water pressure to the showers could do with a boost! The premium rooms were bigger, had comfier chairs and a separate shower cubicle. They also had a coffee machine, although the one in the first room I stayed in didn’t work.
The pool is nice but the changing rooms are a bit old and could do with upgrading, particularly the showers which didn’t seem very clean. In general the pool was quiet the times I visited which was nice. I also booked aqua-aerobics a few times which was fun. The treatments I had in the spa were good.
I am now a gold a-club member with the Accor Group but this doesn’t seem to make any difference at this hotel. I was never offered an upgrade, I asked once and was advised nothing was available. The receptionist told me I should ask at the time of booking which I tried once but it made no difference. I was never offered a welcome drink which I have been offered at the other Accor hotels I have stayed at since becoming a gold member. Whilst many of the staff are pleasant and friendly, you are not made to feel special if you are a regular guest.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Dear Guest

Thank you for your comments following on from your recent stay with us.

Bath, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 April 2014 via mobile

Me and my husband stayed here for one night on the 12th April whilst visiting friends. We travelled up from wiltshire and due to check in at 2. Managed to check in as soon as we arrived approx 13:30 which was lovely. We stayed in a double privilege room and it was spacious and had a large bathroom with bath as well as shower. All toiletries included were shower gel, bath creme, soap, shower cap, small sewing set, shoe shine and a few other handy things. Iron and ironing board as well as trousers press in the room also.
There was a lovely wedding on that particular night however no noise was heard from the function room or any other guests.
Check out was at 12 which gave us plenty of time for a lie in.
Staff at reception we're very polite.
Overall we had a wonderful stay and would definitely stay again.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Damon_YoxallH6631, General Manager at Mercure Manchester Norton Grange Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, 16 April 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for your great review, its always pleasing to recieve such great comments. I will pass on your thoughts to the rest of the team and look forward in welcoming you back soon.

Rockaway, New Jersey
Reviewed 14 April 2014

I was fortunate to stay at this hotel during a business trip to Manchester. It was very quaint and very well appointed. The bathroom was extremely clean (a plus for sure). My only compliant was that the hotel weekend staff was not very attentive. We waited about 1 hr. for someone to take our dinner order and we had to fetch out drinks at the bar, rather than someone bringing over. During the week the service was better. No real grounds to walk around, however, there is a really nice path that runs behind the hotel (can be accessed a short walk away by nearby pub). Good breakfast. Lovely area.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Dear Guest

Thank you for your great review, it’s always pleasing to receive such great comments. I will pass on your thoughts to the rest of the team and look forward in welcoming you back soon. Thank you also for your feedback regarding the service at the weekend which I will investigate.

Southport, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 April 2014

Stayed last night at this hotel and I must say that the service we received was as good as you would expect at any 5 star hotel!

Myself and my husband had never stayed at the hotel before so were both left feeling content when the friendly receptionist advised the location of all the amenities within the hotel.

The restaurant team again were very friendly and couldn't have done any more to have made us feel as welcome as we did, particularly Rama and Preston.

There was a good choice on the menu and the food was excellent with decent size portions.

Claire from the bar was very friendly and made us feel as though whatever we asked, nothing would be too much.

The service we received from all of the staff was excellent and we will be recommending the hotel to our friends and family.

Sophie from the Spa rounded up the perfect weekend by making me feel so welcome and relaxed after the Spa treatments I received.

We both can't wait to return! I'm already talking to my friends about returning for a pamper weekend...

Room Tip: We stayed in a privileged room for a few pound more and received extras like bath robes and slippers...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest

Wow what a fantastic review, it’s so nice to receive such great comments especially about our great staff, I will pass on your thoughts to the team.

Look forward in welcoming you back; let’s hope you get your Glastonbury tickets!

lancashire, england
Reviewed 11 April 2014

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for 1 night after attending a friends wedding. The staff are friendly and thoughtful. We had a ground floor room which was large and very clean. The bed was extremely comfortable and we had no trouble with noise from other guests. The carpets in the hotel are showing signs of wear in places, but the remainder of the décor was pleasing on the eye. The wedding venue was excellent and the wedding breakfast delicious, as was the evening buffet. The breakfast the following morning could not be faulted, lots of choice for everyone.We did not get the opportunity to try the spa but heard other guests praising the facilities. The only downside to our stay was the price of drinks at the bar. I know several people left the celebrations early because of the high cost. £5 for a kopperburg is more than excessive, I don't pay that when drinking in Manchester town centre.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Guest

We do try and look after all our guests especially those attending weddings, congratulations to the new Bride & Groom.

Bolton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 April 2014

visited Norton Grange on a college trip and had a great time. The staff and service are excellent. The spa facilities were great quality and there was fantastic choice. We were provided with a buffet lunch as part of our package and the food was good quality.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends

Damon Yoxall
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rochdale
The Royal Toby Hotel
#1 of 1 in Heywood
The Victoria Hotel
The Victoria Hotel
#3 of 13 in Oldham

Been to Mercure Manchester Norton Grange Hotel and Spa? Share your experiences!