My father and I stayed here from 26/06 - 29/06. I chose Rochdale as I had never stayed here before and it was easy to get to Manchester from here. I make a lot of trips to Manchester and as this was a last minute trip, I wanted somewhere with guaranteed (and preferably free) parking.
Firstly, do make sure you have the right postcode- I basically took the one off the website and it turns out that they have two postcodes, one is for their main office and the other is for the hotel. I called them when my Sat Nav took us to a funeral home!!
Eventually we got there and there was plenty of parking.
The lady at the front desk was polite and helpful and showed us how to get to our room.
I had booked a twin room (for obvious reasons) and upon arrival into the room I noticed that the two single beds had been pushed together to form a double. I know this might seem petty but when I am travelling with a family member that isn't my husband, I do expect there to be a bit of knowledge about the type of room that I had requested. We even put in the booking that we were father and daughter.
I know this might also seem trivial but when a room is a twin, I really dislike the fact that it's basically two single beds pushed together- plus the fact that the beds are on wheels means that any turn in the night will make you feel like you're on a magic carpet!!
Once we had separated the beds and unpacked, I also noticed that my side of the room didn't have a reading light. My father's side did.
There was also limited plug sockets for charging phones, iPads etc. I had to use the two sockets on his side of the bed to charge my devices. There is free WiFi in the hotel which my father and I made use of.
On the first night it was rather warm and there is no air conditioning in the rooms so I called down for a fan. I was assured that one was on it's way and half an hour later, still no fan.
My father made the decision to go downstairs to get one.
When the fan was upstairs, we had to move furniture around to get it to a place that it would be effective. We unplugged a light in order to do this.
The room itself was clean, quite large and comfortable (aside from no air conditioning but the fan did the trick). I did enjoy my stay here but I just think that the basics should have been thought of prior to us arriving.
I stay in a lot of hotels and I mostly book separate rooms for my father and I but on this occasion it was more cost effective to stay in the one room.
I enjoyed our lunch that we had on one of the days. I had the Salmon sandwich which was delicious and well prepared.
We also had dinner here which I cannot praise enough- well cooked and delicious food.
Overall I liked this hotel, it's a lovely building with friendly and polite staff, clean rooms and free parking/WiFi.
I would however have liked to have had a reading light by my bedside, a couple of extra plug sockets in the room and perhaps leaving fans in the room throughout the summer months would have saved a bit of bother trying to get one sent to the room.
Rochdale itself I cannot really comment on other than we drove out to find a restaurant one evening and ended up eating at another hotel. There doesn't seem to be much the way of restaurants there (unless I drove to the wrong area- in which case, apologies). We spent most of our time in Manchester and met up with a friend just outside.
I would probably stay here again. It's a good location for where I usually go in Manchester and when I meet up with friends. Free (and lots of) parking attracts me to a hotel so I will no doubt research here before booking my next stay in Manchester.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Situated in it's own beautiful grounds, the Mercure Norton Grange Hotel and Spa caters for the needs of each individual. Leisure facilities and car parking are complimentary to all of our guests. Please check with the hotel for dining availability as our restaurant can be closed at weekends for private functions. Please also note that child pool times apply. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Odigeo, Ebookers, Priceline, Hotels.com, Expedia, TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly, 5viajes2012 S.L., Evoline ltd and Cancelon so you can book your Mercure Manchester Norton Grange Hotel and Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mercure Norton Grange Hotel Rochdale
- Mercure Manchester Norton Grange Hotel And Spa Rochdale, Greater Manchester