“Nice looking hotel, clean and comfortable but did lack some basics”

Mercure Manchester Norton Grange Hotel and Spa
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Rochdale
Luton, United Kingdom
“Nice looking hotel, clean and comfortable but did lack some basics”
Reviewed 4 August 2014

My father and I stayed here from 26/06 - 29/06. I chose Rochdale as I had never stayed here before and it was easy to get to Manchester from here. I make a lot of trips to Manchester and as this was a last minute trip, I wanted somewhere with guaranteed (and preferably free) parking.

Firstly, do make sure you have the right postcode- I basically took the one off the website and it turns out that they have two postcodes, one is for their main office and the other is for the hotel. I called them when my Sat Nav took us to a funeral home!!
Eventually we got there and there was plenty of parking.

The lady at the front desk was polite and helpful and showed us how to get to our room.
I had booked a twin room (for obvious reasons) and upon arrival into the room I noticed that the two single beds had been pushed together to form a double. I know this might seem petty but when I am travelling with a family member that isn't my husband, I do expect there to be a bit of knowledge about the type of room that I had requested. We even put in the booking that we were father and daughter.
I know this might also seem trivial but when a room is a twin, I really dislike the fact that it's basically two single beds pushed together- plus the fact that the beds are on wheels means that any turn in the night will make you feel like you're on a magic carpet!!

Once we had separated the beds and unpacked, I also noticed that my side of the room didn't have a reading light. My father's side did.

There was also limited plug sockets for charging phones, iPads etc. I had to use the two sockets on his side of the bed to charge my devices. There is free WiFi in the hotel which my father and I made use of.

On the first night it was rather warm and there is no air conditioning in the rooms so I called down for a fan. I was assured that one was on it's way and half an hour later, still no fan.
My father made the decision to go downstairs to get one.

When the fan was upstairs, we had to move furniture around to get it to a place that it would be effective. We unplugged a light in order to do this.

The room itself was clean, quite large and comfortable (aside from no air conditioning but the fan did the trick). I did enjoy my stay here but I just think that the basics should have been thought of prior to us arriving.

I stay in a lot of hotels and I mostly book separate rooms for my father and I but on this occasion it was more cost effective to stay in the one room.

I enjoyed our lunch that we had on one of the days. I had the Salmon sandwich which was delicious and well prepared.
We also had dinner here which I cannot praise enough- well cooked and delicious food.

Overall I liked this hotel, it's a lovely building with friendly and polite staff, clean rooms and free parking/WiFi.
I would however have liked to have had a reading light by my bedside, a couple of extra plug sockets in the room and perhaps leaving fans in the room throughout the summer months would have saved a bit of bother trying to get one sent to the room.

Rochdale itself I cannot really comment on other than we drove out to find a restaurant one evening and ended up eating at another hotel. There doesn't seem to be much the way of restaurants there (unless I drove to the wrong area- in which case, apologies). We spent most of our time in Manchester and met up with a friend just outside.

I would probably stay here again. It's a good location for where I usually go in Manchester and when I meet up with friends. Free (and lots of) parking attracts me to a hotel so I will no doubt research here before booking my next stay in Manchester.

Thank you.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Damon_YoxallH6631, General Manager at Mercure Manchester Norton Grange Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, 6 August 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for your recent comments following on from your visit to the hotel. Your review is appreciated and I will ensure that extra lighting is added to the room you stayed in.

Damon Yoxall

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (166)
  • Polish first
London
Reviewed 3 August 2014

Pleasantly surprised by value of our stay with breakfast and use of pool and gym. Upon arrival it was obvious a wedding was taking place, at check in we we retold there were two weddings taking place. We were apprehensive but as it turned out our room was allocated no where near the function rooms and our stay was not disturbed at all. The gym and pool are of high quality.
All of the staff in all areas we used were friendly professional and efficient.
The breakfast was excellent buffet style and regularly replenished. The price of our stay was the best part. £62.50

Room Tip: We were in 304 on the main road, away from the wedding/function rooms. But if no functions chose one...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MissProssecco
Dear Guest

Thank you for your comments following on from your recent stay. It’s nice to see that you enjoyed your stay, your review will be shared with the rest of the team and we look forward in welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Reviewed 1 August 2014

We had our wedding reception at the norton grange 6 days ago and loved every minute of it. Throughout the process of planning our reception the wedding coordinators (Kelly, Su, Joanne) were extremely helpful and efficient at responding to our various enquiries - also very patient with our regular guest number changes. Joanne had ensured that our favours etc were put out exactly as we wanted and nothing was too much trouble. On the day itself we were treated like VIPs - which is exactly what you want on your wedding day. Joanne ensured that everything ran like clockwork. The food was excellent and the staff couldn't have been more helpful. Many of our guests commented on the great food and service too. The level of service experienced was not limited to our wedding day. Our friends and family were well looked after for their whole visit. We would highly recommend the Norton Grange as a wedding reception venue to anyone. We're just sorry that our day was over far too soon!

Room Tip: Choose the Norton Grange for your reception venue and you get an executive suite as part of the pack...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Conor C
Dear Guest

Firstly may I congratulate you on your wedding and wish you both success in the future together. Thank you for a wonderful review of the hotel and your wedding day, I have passed on your thoughts to the rest of the team.

Heusden-Zolder, Belgium
Reviewed 31 July 2014

good value compared to other hotels in the area
close to a busy road, so good connections but a bit noisy
no airconditioning
good food, nice selection, excellent breakfast (sometimes included)
nice indoor swimming pool and spa
good quality free wifi

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank davefrombelgium
Damon_YoxallH6631, General Manager at Mercure Manchester Norton Grange Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, 4 August 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for your comments following on from your visit to the hotel. Its pleasing to see that you enjoyed your stay especially the spa, I will pass on your thoughts to the rest of the team.

Llandudno
Reviewed 27 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed for 2 nights in June whilst on a course in Manchester.
Lovely welcome from reception staff.
Room was ok. Nice bathroom. First night of the stay the pull out section under the bed was not there so had to share the bed with my friend which wasn't ideal-could have gone and asked for it but didn't bother. Second night it was there but no spare duvet or pillows.
Spa was good-fairly quiet and spa staff very pleasant.
Hotel restaurant service a little slow at first. My meal was lovely, although my friend ordered the Caesar salad which looked pretty disgusting. She sent it back and manager came over and was very apologetic and quick to resolve the issue.
All in all a decent hotel which suited our needs well.

Stayed June 2014
1 Thank LinziG84
Damon_YoxallH6631, General Manager at Mercure Manchester Norton Grange Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, 28 July 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review following on from your stay with us. I will ensue your comments are passed onto the team and I will be speaking with the chef regarding the poor Caesar salad which is clearly unacceptable.

Reviewed 26 July 2014 via mobile

It would have been nice if not for the two rude, mannerless members of staff behind the bar. The glasses were unclean and they need to learn how to pour a decent pint. I might have excused the latter if not for the extortionate prices - £3.95 for a Fosters?! £4.30 for Guinness, £9 for a small glass of white wine and £15 for a £3 bottle of Rosé. There is no excuse for that kind of marking up of price - blatant robbery.

Be warned, this is an overpriced venue.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank 7885133
Dear Guest

Thank you for your comments following on from your stay at the hotel. I am sorry to hear that you had encountered problems with our bar staff and I will be investigating this with them as its obviously unacceptable behaviour. Regarding the bar prices we do have added value offers on at the moment such as a selection of bottle beer, cider and alcopops 4 for £10, double offers and £15 for a bottle of house wine which has been reduced from £20. I will ensure that these offers are more visible going forward.

Damon Yoxall

Travellers are raving about these Rochdale hotels

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 July 2014

I have been staying at the hotel for several days now and and I just want to say what a joy it is being here. I get a warm welcome at reception. Nicola and toni are so polite and well mannered.
The room I'm staying in is cleaned every day the maids, I can't fault them.
The food is second to none, I would give it a big 5 out of 5.
And I just wanted to give a big thank you to the bar staff Claire and Emily they have made me smile through out my stay

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
Dear Guest

Thank you so much for your kind words following on from your stay at the hotel, it’s always nice to hear such great comments especially about the staff. I will pass on your review to the rest of the team and look forward in welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Damon Yoxall
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rochdale
Best Western Hotel Smokies Park
Birch Hotel
Birch Hotel
#1 of 1 in Heywood
Comfort Inn Manchester North

Been to Mercure Manchester Norton Grange Hotel and Spa? Share your experiences!