“Silver Wedding Anniversary” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Rochdale
Cumbria, United Kingdom
“Silver Wedding Anniversary”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2014

We had a wonderful celebration recently at Norton Grange. From the receptionists through to the caterers and cleaners we were met with friendly and very professional people. For those who took special care of us a Big Thank You to Rama; Preston; Claire and the two young ladies called Chloe. Despite a very busy week-end full of celebrations we were made to feel very special and even the kitchen staff catered for our every need.
Have already booked up for another visit very soon. Veronica & Eddie

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Damon_YoxallH6631, General Manager at Mercure Manchester Norton Grange Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, 22 August 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for your great review. I will let the staff who you mentioned know about your experiences.
See you again soon.

Damon Yoxall

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (158)
  • Polish first
Exeter
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2014

If your looking for a stay where doors bang all evening - you have a wedding party right outside your window no air conditioning and the corridors smell extremely pungent then you've found the perfect hotel. If not - then don't stay her

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
      Location
      Sleep Quality
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

3 Thank Mark D
Damon_YoxallH6631, General Manager at Mercure Manchester Norton Grange Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, 12 August 2014
Regards

Damon Yoxall

Travellers are raving about these Rochdale hotels

Stockton-on-Tees, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

I really enjoyed my spa break we stayed one night. The attention to detail was excellent. On arrival the receptionist had noticed we were giving a room near the function suite and as there was a party on that evening it would be rather noisy. Without any fuss she allocated us a better room away from the noise. the food was marvelous staff very friendly. The only thing that bothered me was paying £9 for a glass of wine. When we came down to breakfast there was quite a few people having breakfast in their pyjamas, it is a restaurant not a family dining room.

• Stayed August 2014
      Location
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Damon_YoxallH6631, General Manager at Mercure Manchester Norton Grange Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, 13 August 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you so much for your great review of the hotel. It’s always nice to receive such nice comments; I will pass them on to the team and look forward in welcoming you to the hotel in the future.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2014 via mobile

We have just had our wedding at the norton grange. Everything from start to finish ran so well all the staff where great especially Preston who ran our wedding he did a fantstic job and was always making sure everybody and everything was ok. the food and service was brilliant.Me and kyle would like to thank you all for helping to make our day perfect. Thank you.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Dear Guest

Firstly congratulations on your wedding! It’s so nice to receive such great reviews regarding weddings at the hotel I will ensure that all staff are aware of your thoughts.

Cannock, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2014

Wanting to go to Coronation Street tour we booked with a local coach company who were absolutely brilliant. The weekend was completely ruined because the hotel we stayed at had two wedding receptions on both nights we stayed. The majority of the coach party were trying to change rooms but whichever room you had the noise would have probably been as bad. Our only evening meal left a lot to be desired and so did the service provided by the dining room staff. Would never stay at this hotel again.

Room Tip: Make sure you are nowhere near the function rooms
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank suearthstanley
Dear Guest

Thank you for your comments. Unfortunately from time to time we do have events on that make noise within the hotel and spoil the experience for other guests. Your comments have been taken into consideration and we will strive to ensure that guests not attending events are not situated near the noise.

Luton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014

My father and I stayed here from 26/06 - 29/06. I chose Rochdale as I had never stayed here before and it was easy to get to Manchester from here. I make a lot of trips to Manchester and as this was a last minute trip, I wanted somewhere with guaranteed (and preferably free) parking.

Firstly, do make sure you have the right postcode- I basically took the one off the website and it turns out that they have two postcodes, one is for their main office and the other is for the hotel. I called them when my Sat Nav took us to a funeral home!!
Eventually we got there and there was plenty of parking.

The lady at the front desk was polite and helpful and showed us how to get to our room.
I had booked a twin room (for obvious reasons) and upon arrival into the room I noticed that the two single beds had been pushed together to form a double. I know this might seem petty but when I am travelling with a family member that isn't my husband, I do expect there to be a bit of knowledge about the type of room that I had requested. We even put in the booking that we were father and daughter.
I know this might also seem trivial but when a room is a twin, I really dislike the fact that it's basically two single beds pushed together- plus the fact that the beds are on wheels means that any turn in the night will make you feel like you're on a magic carpet!!

Once we had separated the beds and unpacked, I also noticed that my side of the room didn't have a reading light. My father's side did.

There was also limited plug sockets for charging phones, iPads etc. I had to use the two sockets on his side of the bed to charge my devices. There is free WiFi in the hotel which my father and I made use of.

On the first night it was rather warm and there is no air conditioning in the rooms so I called down for a fan. I was assured that one was on it's way and half an hour later, still no fan.
My father made the decision to go downstairs to get one.

When the fan was upstairs, we had to move furniture around to get it to a place that it would be effective. We unplugged a light in order to do this.

The room itself was clean, quite large and comfortable (aside from no air conditioning but the fan did the trick). I did enjoy my stay here but I just think that the basics should have been thought of prior to us arriving.

I stay in a lot of hotels and I mostly book separate rooms for my father and I but on this occasion it was more cost effective to stay in the one room.

I enjoyed our lunch that we had on one of the days. I had the Salmon sandwich which was delicious and well prepared.
We also had dinner here which I cannot praise enough- well cooked and delicious food.

Overall I liked this hotel, it's a lovely building with friendly and polite staff, clean rooms and free parking/WiFi.
I would however have liked to have had a reading light by my bedside, a couple of extra plug sockets in the room and perhaps leaving fans in the room throughout the summer months would have saved a bit of bother trying to get one sent to the room.

Rochdale itself I cannot really comment on other than we drove out to find a restaurant one evening and ended up eating at another hotel. There doesn't seem to be much the way of restaurants there (unless I drove to the wrong area- in which case, apologies). We spent most of our time in Manchester and met up with a friend just outside.

I would probably stay here again. It's a good location for where I usually go in Manchester and when I meet up with friends. Free (and lots of) parking attracts me to a hotel so I will no doubt research here before booking my next stay in Manchester.

Thank you.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Damon_YoxallH6631, General Manager at Mercure Manchester Norton Grange Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, 6 August 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for your recent comments following on from your visit to the hotel. Your review is appreciated and I will ensure that extra lighting is added to the room you stayed in.

London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2014

Pleasantly surprised by value of our stay with breakfast and use of pool and gym. Upon arrival it was obvious a wedding was taking place, at check in we we retold there were two weddings taking place. We were apprehensive but as it turned out our room was allocated no where near the function rooms and our stay was not disturbed at all. The gym and pool are of high quality.
All of the staff in all areas we used were friendly professional and efficient.
The breakfast was excellent buffet style and regularly replenished. The price of our stay was the best part. £62.50

Room Tip: We were in 304 on the main road, away from the wedding/function rooms. But if no functions chose one...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MissProssecco
Dear Guest

Thank you for your comments following on from your recent stay. It’s nice to see that you enjoyed your stay, your review will be shared with the rest of the team and we look forward in welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Damon Yoxall
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rochdale
The Royal Toby Hotel
#1 of 1 in Heywood
The Victoria Hotel
The Victoria Hotel
#3 of 13 in Oldham

Been to Mercure Manchester Norton Grange Hotel and Spa? Share your experiences!