“New hotel to me”

Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Rochdale
Northampton
“New hotel to me”
Reviewed 26 August 2014

This was my first visit to this hotel. It looks secluded but unfortunately some of the rooms are close to a main road. I requested a move to my original room and this was arranged. make sure you ask for a room on the quiet side. The food was good a big choice for breakfast. The leisure club is a good asset!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Damon_YoxallH6631, General Manager at Mercure Manchester Norton Grange Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, 27 August 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for your comments following on from your stay. It’s always nice to receive such great comments and I will pass on your thoughts to the rest of the team.

Damon Yoxall

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (170)
  • Polish first
Reviewed 21 August 2014

we went with a coach party to Norton Grange, on our arrival only half the rooms were ready. We were given no information about times of our spa facilities, so after dumping our suitcases in our friends room we decided to find out ourselves. On getting to the spa desk only half our appointments were booked in one of them was booked in ten mins after we had arrived even though the room wasn't ready. The receptionist said they were unaware of our arrival time but if this is the case why book the spa appointments so early?. The spa said our robes would be in our room, but there wasn't any so we asked at reception. The receptionist was quite short saying it wasn't a request by the tour agent and made us feel like it was our fault. When i had looked previously about the hotel it stated that all rooms came with bottled water and robes in the room, none of which we had. We later found out that the the hotel and spa were separate areas and we felt like we had got caught up in work politics which didn't seem a very professional front to show to customers. of facilities, but the treatments we had booked we couldn't have so had to have others that were offered. The actual spa had a lot We did have a lovely evening meal although we were put in a side room and it took us a while to find where we should be as there was no real communication. Breakfast was lovely with lots of choice. We did have a relaxing time, just the lack of organization put us off.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Damon_YoxallH6631, General Manager at Mercure Manchester Norton Grange Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, 22 August 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for your comments. It’s pleasing to see that you enjoyed the majority of your stay. I do apologise for some of your treatments not being booked in. We did check with your tour company beforehand to ensure that we had all the bookings in and this was confirmed back to us, I can only imagine that this would have been a mistake by your tour company and I will be speaking with them regarding this.

Reviewed 21 August 2014

The maintenance of the facilities are appalling, and constant excuse is maintenance has been but they have problems.
if I believe these excuses then managers are lacking to allow this poor maintenance by engineers to be allowed and paid for.
Keys are still a problem, the pins used are not what you expect and the number of times I have drawn blood due to these opening when pinned to me is ridiculous.
The locks are difficult to use as the key replacements have been badly fitted and many lockers are dusty inside causing staining to suits.
This is just getting to change your clothes.

In the male changing room some benches have NAILS protruding which catches skin and clothing and although some attempt has been made it is still I believe a potential claim

The showers are a joke with some showers being difficult to turn on and off and all deliver varying temperatures.
Tiles are loose in some cubicles.
Pool.
Edges are becoming very dirty, cover to drainage channel at steps often is not firmly on.
What happened to promise to replace underwater lights

Steam room has many tiles missing off seating area and cover to steam vents is loose.
Lights, why only replace 3 with leds, its makes place look cheap and nasty.

Showers in sauna area(oops Jacuzzi ). Well, complete waste of time, cold, limited water from jets and what’s happened to coloured lights.

Sauna
Hmm when was last time it all worked, and again underwater lights.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
4 Thank 1knowthetruth
Dear Leisure Club Member

As discussed on the telephone we will endeavour to rectify the maintenance issues you have raised.

Damon Yoxall

Travellers are raving about these Rochdale hotels

Reviewed 19 August 2014

My friend & I went with our local coach company on a 2 day Spa break to the Norton Grange. We had a very friendly welcome from the reception staff & were served tea & coffee on arrival. The room was very clean and very comfortable, Our bathroom was huge with a bath and a corner shower unit. We used the spa facilities. I've been on other weekends to a so called 'spa' hotel and have been lucky to get a swimming pool (usually full of kids) and a Jacuzzi! But the Norton Grange lived up to the 'spa' title. There was a good size pool with sunbeds for relaxing on. There was the thermal suite, with Jacuzzi, steam rooms, sauna and an ice room. Both my friend and I had booked treatments which were good value for money & very relaxing. There were 2 weddings at the hotel the same weekend, as well as our bus load of about 48 woman as well as other guests, and the service was brilliant! Our weekend included an evening meal and I sometimes find that when hotels are catering for a lot of people the food can be poor, but our meal was delicious, and we weren't disappointed in the breakfast the following morning. There was plenty of choice and well cook. This was our first visit to Norton Grange, but my friend and I are already planning our next trip! We can't wait!

Room Tip: We had room 228 which is on the first floor at the end of the corridor over looking the spa.
Dear Guest

Thank you for your great review of the hotel.

It’s always nice to receive such great comments about our Spa and service. We do have a great product here, which is not always to everyone’s taste but we do manage to please the majority of our guests. I will pass your comments onto the rest of the team who will be delighted.

Reviewed 18 August 2014

9 female friends and I went to Norton Grange Hotel for a spa weekend and had a smashing time! The staff were friendly, evening meal and breakfast were excellent and we all enjoyed the Spa facilities. Our rooms and bathrooms were nicely furnished and very clean and the beds lovely and comfortable. Four of our party had facials which were professional and very enjoyable. Also a big thank you to Paula and Scott for 'going the extra mile' and making our stay more special :)

2 Thank carol c
Dear Guest

Thank you so much for your kind words following on from your recent stay with us. I will pass your comments onto the rest of the team and look forward in welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed 18 August 2014 via mobile

What a truly fabulous place!

Very welcoming from the moment we walked through the door, to the moment we checked out.

We booked as a 'night away' and in particular, to use the pool and spa facilities.

Very reasonable rates for accommodation, with full use of the spa, including a lovely pool, and thermal suite, comprising of a jacuzzi, saunas, steam rooms and an ice igloo!!

We spoke to many lovely staff members throughout our stay and special mentions have to made about the following:

The reservations manager 'Lauren' we found her to be polite, friendly, courteous and a real ambassador for the Accor group. She is a shining example of customer service and took the time out to chat with us, making us feel valued and welcome.

Ryan and Louise in the spa were really nice and they were also very friendly, Ryan took the time to talk us through, all of the available treatments and clearly is very passionate about the services he offers, which we will definitely be sampling on our next stay.

Lynden Davis the Spa manager was a lovely guy, I got chatting to him as he was carrying out checks of the changing rooms etc, I had stopped him to comment how pleased I was with the Spa experience and again he displayed a genuine professionalism, together with a 'nothing is too much trouble' and a real 'can do attitude'.

Claire who looked after us at evening meal, introduced herself and couldn't have made us feel happier with her service. The food was well prepared/presented and offered great value for money (ask about evening meal packages from £15 per person, well worth the price!).

Breakfast was as good as the meal the night before, Buffet Style Full English, fresh and hot. With an included, full range of continental selection and also inclusive order options (I can heartily recommend the eggs Benedict, the were amazing!).

The room was really nice and if you can afford the upgrade, it's worth going for one of the privilege suites. These include loads of complimentary extras like additional toiletries, dressing gowns and slippers, complimentary 'soft drink' minibar and a coffee machine in the room, which uses genuine Nespresso Pods!!

I have taken the time to write this review, because before our visit we read a couple of reviews that stated, that this hotel is very dated and that the staff were rude or abrupt.

I can honestly say that this was not our experience. We found the hotel to be clean and tidy and very well-kept. There wasn't a single staff member that we thought could have done anything more.

In summary I'd just like to say a massive Thanks to Lauren and the entire team, needless to say, we will be visiting again in the near future and encouraging our friends and family to do the same.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest

Wow what a great review. It’s always nice to receive such great comments about the hotel, food, Spa and most importantly our great staff who work here. I will personally speak with all the team members whom you have mentioned and thank them for their excellent service.

Thank you and look forward in welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Rochdale, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 August 2014

Staff were less then helpful room serivce came from a microwave and was cold the breakfast was late by 40 mins and had been poked and thrown together by a toddler the bath robes and towels are like sand paper and when me and my newly wedd wife complained we were given an answer "i have 150 guests " no sorry or anything thing like it they ruined the start to my honeymoon i advise do not stay there it seems unless your having a wedding there they dont care i advise the hotel buck up your ideas and get new staff my money is the same as everyone one elses

Room Tip: Another hotel
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Adam W
Damon_YoxallH6631, General Manager at Mercure Manchester Norton Grange Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, 8 September 2014
Regards

Damon Yoxall
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rochdale
Best Western Hotel Smokies Park
#1 of 1 in Heywood
Best Western Broadfield Park Hotel
Village Hotel Manchester Bury
Comfort Inn Manchester North

Been to Mercure Manchester Norton Grange Hotel and Spa? Share your experiences!