“Improvements”

Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Romford
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Improvements”
Reviewed 4 May 2014

I was booked into this Travelodge for 5 nights for a business trip and to be honest was not looking forward to it due to previous experience of Travelodges.
Romford TL has just undergone a refurb, indeed the decorators were still in during the week I was there, but did not interfere with my stay.
I have to say the major positive is the new beds that TL has invested in: big and comfy with 4 huge fluffy pillows (double bed). WHAT AN IMPROVEMENT! 5 very good nights' sleep!
The room is pretty basic as you'd expect, mine had a shower but no bath (I believe some rooms have both). Hair dryer and iron were available on request. TV had basic freeview channels but with limited reception. Kettle with milk, tea & coffee replenished daily. Complimentary shower gel.
It's still a budget hotel and there's no restaurant so breakfast is a pre-packed box which is fine if you're not bothered about your Full English! Close by though are plenty of places to eat and drink, and supermarkets, all within 5-10mins walk, as is the station.
It is a busy town and close to a dual carriageway so there's some traffic noise. My room was at the front of the hotel so there was the added noise of delivery vans etc sometimes early in the morning, made worse by needing the window open as there's no air con. Not a huge issue when you're an early riser anyway.
I would recommend this hotel if you're on a budget.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 May 2014

A good Travel Lodge, not too noisy. TV was not configured properly (top of everyone's head missing! and remote had the setting blocked. No air-con a bit warm. Good location, lots of pubs and restaurants within 10 minutes as is the station.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 May 2014

I stayed at the Travelodge Romford midweek after the hotel had been though it's refurbishment. I checked in at around 4:30pm, there was a bit of a wait as there was some confusion as to whether the customer in front of me had paid or not. An extra member of staff on the desk would be helpful during check in times. The member of staff did apologise for the wait when I eventually checked in. I asked about the parking arrangements, which he explained. This hotel does not have it's own car park, so you have to park in the multi-storey car park next door, get your ticket stamped at reception and then you pay the special rate of £6.50 if you arrive and leave between 5pm-9am. I felt it was a bit cheeky that you have to pay to park your car.

The hotel reception was tidy and clean looking. There is a pc for customer use (20 mins of internet use for £1, I think the sign said) and a vending machine that sold drinks, snacks & a toiletry set.

I was given room 7 which is on the ground floor. This is one of the rooms that can be made into a Family Room, so it was a decent size. First impressions were good. The room was clean and consisted of a double bed (with 4 fat pillows), a desk with a kettle (with tea & coffee, etc), a tv, a chair and a bar style bottle opener attached to the side of the desk. The television was a bit irritating, it kept stretching the picture and it didn't bring up which channel you were watching. Also, the website advertises that you get 'up to 18 channels' unfortunately they are mostly the same channels under a different channel number. The bed was comfortable with clean bedding. I think one of the fat pillows would be enough for most people to sleep on. I did find that the filling did up moving to the back as I slept.
The bathroom has a good shower (good water pressure) over a bathtub. The sink did a big crack in the basin but that wasn't a problem. You are provided with a small bottle of hand, body & hair wash. I would recommend taking a mini bar of soap with you to make it less fiddly when washing your hands. You are also provided with 1 bath towel each (bath sheet size). A hand towel would have been useful for drying hands/hair.

I was wary of the amount of noise I would hear as I was on the ground floor and in a room that looked out onto the road that led to the car park/market, but I didn't hear very much, just the odd lorry during the night whilst I was still awake.

All in all I was pleased with my stay. I would stay again.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo

Coventry, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 April 2014

We stayed at this hotel on a Friday night. The hotel has just completed a refurbishment so rooms are very clean, bright & comfortable. Comfortable bed & usual facilities. The reception staff were very welcoming & went out of their way to point out local eating places which was helpful as we had not been to the area before. Only bad point was that parking is offsite at multi storey car park next door which cost £6.50 overnight

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 28 April 2014 via mobile

We booked this hotel as we have stayed here before & it was near to our family who we were visiting. About a week before we arrived we recieved an email saying there was decorating etc going on but noise would be minimal. We arrived at 4pm on 22nd April to be told that the boiler had broken the night before so we could stay but there would be no hot water, we could have a refund & find somewhere else ourselves or we could move to a different hotel. The manageress Kim said she rang me at 12 to tell me but she didnt it was 1.15pm & i didnt get the message because we were busy catching trains/ tubes etc from Manchester. She was most unhelpful & arrogant with an off handed manner & accused me of shouting when i didnt! We agreed to change to Barking hotel as there was nothing else we could do & when i asked for compensation she said we are paying your taxi to Barking!!! There was nothing to do in Barking town centre so every night we had to travel to Romford & back to go to the cinema, bowling etc. I will NEVER go to a Travellodge again & will not be recommending it to anyone. I am still waiting for a call from customer services who i contacted on Tuesday, poor service all round.

Stayed April 2014
2 Thank Pogchog

Travellers are raving about these Romford hotels

Also consider these accommodations in or near Romford
Premier Inn London Romford Central Hotel
#1 of 3 in Hornchurch
Holiday Inn Brentwood
Holiday Inn Brentwood
#4 of 4 in Brentwood

Been to Travelodge London Romford? Share your experiences!