“Much Better Than I Was Expecting!”

Holiday Inn Runcorn
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Runcorn
Chester
“Much Better Than I Was Expecting!”
Reviewed 16 November 2013

I didn't have very high hopes for Holiday Inn Runcorn, given that it's one of IHG's cheapest properties (Intercontinental Hotel Group - IHG's parent company), but I have just spent 2 nights here and I couldn't be happier.

Check in was quick although I was the only person there at the time so I'd expect it to be. Because I'm Platinum with IHG Rewards Club I was upgraded to an Executive room which was far nicer than I was expecting. Free parking, comfy bed, large windows, sofa, desk, chair and a safe. Complimentary hot drinks plus newspaper, 2 bottles of water (still and fizzy) and a Mars bar each day. The usual toiletries. Bathroom was acceptable but little more. I forgot shaving foam but they gave me this at reception FOC. High Definition on a HUGE TV - if anything maybe even a little bit too big for the room! Friendly staff. Very clean. Only criticisms are minor. The shower is above a bath which isn't exactly plush and it's not the quietest hotel I've stayed in but that's to be expected at the price (£70 for a 2 night stay - Friday and Saturday, booked direct with IHG). Wi Fi, whie free, was very very slow (like 1990's dial-up slow).

The health club looks a bit dated. Layout is somewhat bizarre also - you have to walk through the gym past all the fitness equipment to get into the changing rooms. Some lockers in the mens changing room missing doors. Pool OK; same goes for the jacuzzi, sauna and steam room. Not the most modern but perfectly functional and the fact that this place even has a free to use health centre for the price is a bonus in my book.

Bar had a nice feel to it. I didn't eat or drink here so cannot comment on the quality of the food although it looked good. Little tip - you can get breakfast vouchers from reception for £11 rather than pay £15 'on the door' in the morning.

When you consider this is in the same price bracket as Travelodge and Premier Inn you really can't go wrong. Frodsham is a stone's throw away by taxi. Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Richard H
jonathan_huglin, General Manager at Holiday Inn Runcorn, responded to this review, 26 November 2013
Dear Richard H
Thank you for taking the time to write your in-depth review regarding your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Runcorn.
It is always good to read that a guest enjoyed their stay and would return to our hotel.
We appreciate you taking the time to pay compliment regarding your stay here and your comments will be passed on to the team.
Jonathan Huglin

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 November 2013

Stayed here on Saturday 9 November 2013 as we were attending an event at the Forrest Hills Hotel in Frodsham (they were booked up!) Very good hotel, clean and warm room, helpful staff, drinks and food a bit overpriced, bar food not to our liking but hey at least they did us a plate of chips at 4am which was very welcome! Well done Runcorn.

Room Tip: We were on the ground floor at the side of reception which started to get noisey early on so maybe i...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
jonathan_huglin, General Manager at Holiday Inn Runcorn, responded to this review, 13 November 2013
Dear Laura B
Thank you for taking the time to write your review regarding your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Runcorn.
I am delighted to hear that you found the hotel to be warm, clean and with helpful staff who accommodated your craving for carbs after a night out.
I do hope that if you are ever in the area again you would consider the Holiday Inn Runcorn for the place to rest your head.
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 November 2013 via mobile

Back again to this hotel at short notice, and once again not disappointed at all. From the comfort of the room to the Temp. of the pool to the food in the Hub Bar, everything was just how we like it and came away feeling relaxed and happy. We shall definitely be back soon.

We

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear MooreOnTour,
We are delighted to hear that you are a returning guest, that you had an enjoyable and relaxing visit and that you will be returning soon.
We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
Wakefield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 November 2013

Stayed here on a buisness trip found food served cool and breakfast buffet not value for money either cost of drinks in bar are also a complete rip off £4 for normal cup of tea is a joke , most other drinks far overpriced , probably because you are a captive guest no other options near the location, I will in future be using a Premier Inn better by far.

Room Tip: go somewhere else
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Dear Mickey F
Thank you for taking the time to write your review regarding your recent stay here at the Holiday Inn Runcorn.
We are sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay with us and that you will not be returning.
We appreciate you taking the time to comment as without guest feedback it would be impossible to improve our hotel which is something here at the Holiday Inn Runcorn we are striving to do.
Yours Sincerely
Jonathan Huglin

Travellers are raving about these Runcorn hotels

Reviewed 30 October 2013

Stayed at the hotel on Monday night and our stay from start to finish was excellent. Could not fault it at all. We stayed here as we were visiting Chester zoo and wanted somewhere nearby but reasonably priced. We were a family of 4 and had a room with a double bed and a single sofa bed and cot, the room was fine. I noticed we had an interconnecting door so asked at reception if the room was not being used if we could maybe open the interconnecting doors and use the other room to put the cot in while we watch telly after our baby had gone to sleep, the lady on reception said that it wasn't a problem and while we eat in the hotel restaurant it was done for us. This was fantastic as its really hard work when your all in one room and the kids are sleeping and you want to watch tv. I'm sure that 99% of hotels/receptionists would have said no, even though we were not touching anything in the room at all, just using the space.

Nothing was too much trouble at reception. My phone battery went dead in the morning and the lady on reception found me a charger to borrow. Fantastic service.

The food in the restaurant was really good value and very tasty. Kids eat free so was great value. Breakfast was lovely too lots of choice and excellent friendly service.

I am a travel agent and will definitely be recommending this hotel to any of my customers wanting to stay in the area.

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank Naomishutt
jonathan_huglin, General Manager at Holiday Inn Runcorn, responded to this review, 5 November 2013
Dear Naomishutt,
I am delighted to read that you could not fault your stay and that you found that nothing was too much trouble for our Reception Team. I am happy to hear that we were able to accommodate your request and that you will be recommending this hotel.
We really do appreciate you taking the time to pay compliment regarding your stay here and your comments will be passed on to all the team who I know will also be delighted to hear your feedback.
Reviewed 27 October 2013

This was the second time I've used the hotel for a one-night business stopover, and it kind of fits the bill for what I needed. It's well located, right next to the M56 and expressway, with plenty of parking out the front.

Staff were friendly and appeared well trained, and both the check-in and check-out processes were efficient. There's plenty of space in the lobby, bar, restaurant, etc., and by all accounts a decent gym/pool.

Room was ok - clean, basic, a little on the poky side, but comfortable bed and a choice of pillows. The furniture was a bit dated and probably didn't help with the poky feel to the room, but it had everything I needed.

Room service dinner was average - good, friendly service, but pretty average caesar salad with a lump of chicken on top, so could have been much better there. Good Wi-Fi but pricy.

I got a good business rate which is why I've gone for 4 stars - otherwise I probably would have said 3/3.5. It's a good, clean, functional business hotel with good facilities, but I wouldn't envisage staying there for leisure.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
jonathan_huglin, General Manager at Holiday Inn Runcorn, responded to this review, 29 October 2013
Dear Nick S,
Thank you for taking the time to write your review regarding your stay at the Holiday Inn Runcorn.
I am pleased to hear that you are a returning guest and that you find the staff to be friendly and well trained. Your comments regarding the Caesar Salad have been passed over to the Head Chef for discussion with his brigade.
Rome, Italy
Reviewed 24 October 2013

The hotel has very big park in front of the door and it is convenient for people with a car. I did not like that our room was on the ground floor (we had to take a lift to go downstairs from the reception).
I liked very much the pool and all the commodities ( sauna, turkish bath). There is also a nice water massage in a little pool.
The pool in not very big or deep but after a day walking and visiting the places around was a nice day to complete the day.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Dear five-7,
I am happy that you were able to relax in our facilities after a day of walking and I appreciate you taking the time to pay compliment regarding the Leisure Club, your comments have been passed on to the Team.
Jonathan Huglin
Also consider these accommodations in or near Runcorn
Best Western Forest Hills Hotel
The Park Royal
#1 of 3 in Stretton
Holiday Inn Chester South
Holiday Inn Ellesmere / Cheshire Oaks

Been to Holiday Inn Runcorn? Share your experiences!