“Comfortable stop”

Holiday Inn Runcorn
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Runcorn
Reviewed 2 May 2014 via mobile

I just stayed here on my way to Warrington and the location was perfect for this. The hotel itself is pleasant, plenty of free parking. Rooms are clean, quite old fashioned but it wasn't a put off (took me a while to realise the hair dryer was under the desk lid!). Good WIFI, good sized TV, efficient room service (amazing sweet potato fries!). I didn't experience the gym or breakfast so can't comment on those. I would stay again

Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
jonathan_huglin, General Manager at Holiday Inn Runcorn, responded to this reviewResponded 6 May 2014

Dear Aspdn

Thank you for taking the time to write your review regarding your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Runcorn.

Here at the Holiday Inn Runcorn we are always striving to improve our customer service as we feel that it is the only way to further improve our business.

I am delighted to read that you found the hotel to be pleasant and that you would stay again.

I do hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed 26 April 2014

Why were a group of 7 cyclists for an overnight stay as part of our lejog challenge. The hotel was a real treat for our aching limbs after 5 days of our trip with the pool and jacuzzi. More than this we we're given a conference room to keep our bikes secure and the use of hose pipe for the cleaning of them beforehand. At £55 for 3 course dinner, bed and breakfast it was excellent value too. Special mention to Caroline on reception for making us feel so welcome too!
Any lejogers considering this - book it, particularly if like us you are mainly in Yha along the way.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
jonathan_huglin, General Manager at Holiday Inn Runcorn, responded to this reviewResponded 28 April 2014

Dear Andy W,
I am delighted to read that you enjoyed time in the pool and Jacuzzi and that Caroline made you feel especially welcome.
We appreciate you taking the time to pay compliment regarding your stay here and your comments will be passed onto the team who I know will also be delighted to hear this feedback.
I hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed 20 April 2014

a pleasant hotel in reasonable surroundings, well staffed rooms clean and tidy but them small beds are a real pain , hotel gets a little busy and can be noisy at night ,also the delivery lorries arriving at 6.00 am can be disruptive , food in the hotel is good not huge portions but nicely cooked, breakfast is good but expensive. the real downer for me was the way you had to battle your way through the smokers stench on the way out the front door .

Room Tip: rooms to rear quieter . the constant buzzing is the light fittings in the bed head use the lamp
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
jonathan_huglin, General Manager at Holiday Inn Runcorn, responded to this reviewResponded 24 April 2014

Dear stevelincoln1,
Thank you for taking the time to write your review regarding your stay at the Holiday Inn Runcorn.
I am pleased to read that you found the hotel was in pleasant surroundings with clean rooms and well staffed, however I am sorry to hear that there were certain aspects of your visit that did not meet your standards. These points will be discussed with the relevant heads of department.
We appreciate you taking the time to comment as without guest feedback it would be impossible to improve our hotel which is something here at the Holiday Inn Runcorn we are striving to do.
I hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed 17 April 2014

We stayed here recently for a surprise birthday party, the hotel is in a pleasant quiet residential area with plenty of parking. Our standard room was a little on the small side but adequate for a short stay, very clean with a bright modern bathroom. The bed was only a double so if you're used to a kingsize like us then I'd book a twin room. We wanted a hot drink on arrival but the drinks container hadn't been refilled , no milk & empty coffee sachet left. A visit to reception & I obtained some fresh milk from the bar, quickly followed by a knock on our door with some small "tubs" of milk ( delivered in a sanitary bag!)
The breakfasts were very enjoyable, self service in a pleasant restaurant. The only real grumble is the extortionate charge for internet access, £16 a day! This service is usually free everywhere else we've stayed. All the staff we met were friendly & helpful.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Susan K,
I am pleased to hear that you found the staff to be friendly and helpful and the breakfast enjoyable. Your comments with regards to the missing items and subsequently how they were delivered to you have been passed onto the Operations Manager for further investigation.
I do hope that you would consider returning to stay with us, if you were ever visiting the area again.

Reviewed 31 March 2014

I visited the Holiday Inn with a party of family and friends on March 29th, as part of a 2 day coach trip to Liverpool and Chester with National holidays. My expectations were high - as I had previously stayed at Holiday Inn at Leeds Brighouse - which I would definitely rate as a 4 star hotel. Firstly, on arrival , a noted that our party of 6 ( originally 8 - 2 were unable to come due to sickness), had been scattered all over the hotel - despite the fact we had booked early! I also
noted that small corner rooms had been allocated to us. . The rooms were very clean - but lacking the full array of complimentary drinks, biscuits and toiletries available at Leeds Brighouse.

Reception staff were cool - a smile costs nothing! Requests to be seated together at dinner were met with a refusal - we were simply pointed to an adjacent table. We requested to be seated together for breakfast - but although reception had agreed - no tables of six were available next morning. My husband repeated the request - and eventually a member of added
a smaller table to ours - but with very bad grace. I will compliment the chef , however - he was a very jovial , helpful man.

Meals were good - but there was less choice than at Leeds Brighouse. - Dinner was strictly timed to 6.30 p.m, - too early for us as we had only arrived at 5.45 p.m. and wanted to make use of the pool and jacuzzi before dinner!

My husband and I did visit the pool and leisure facilities later that night -and it was very clean and good - but none of the rest of the group wished to swim after dinner.

Wifi is very expensive , as are drinks at the hotel.
I cannot fault National Holidays - the deal was good - and the driver Alex , first class. But come on Runcorn - pull up to the standard of the rest of the chain!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
jonathan_huglin, General Manager at Holiday Inn Runcorn, responded to this reviewResponded 9 April 2014

Dear Gillian K,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review regarding your recent stay here at the Holiday Inn Runcorn.

I am sorry to hear that there were certain aspects of your visit that did not meet your standards in particular the allocation of your rooms and your dining experience.

Unfortunately the rooming list sent over by national holidays did not have a request to allocate your rooms together. Where possible when this request is sent over we do always try our hardest to accommodate. The hotel was fully booked on the weekend of the 29th March and when the rooming list was sent over to our Reservations Department the majority of our rooms were already in use.

The issue with regards to the seating in the Restaurant has raised concerns with communication and has been escalated to the Reception Manager and Restaurant Manager to investigate along with the attitude of the staff on shift, for this I can only apologise and ensure that this will be dealt with in house. Unfortunately the allocated time for dinner is set by national holidays and as in many restaurants these need to be strictly controlled, for smooth running of the kitchen and restaurant ensuring all guests are dining at the times requested.

I am happy to hear that you found the chef to be happy and jovial, your comments have been passed on to the Head Chef for recognition.

Without guest feedback it would be impossible to improve our hotel which is something here at the Holiday Inn Runcorn we are striving to do.

Reviewed 26 March 2014 via mobile

My hubby surprised me with a weekend away at this hotel .. Great location for Chester and Wales .. I wanted to give this hotel a 5 star as it so deserves it but some of the staff let it down which I feel for you to do anything about it you need to know .. Receptionist nice friendly but she lacks attention to detail ..she did not give us enough breakfast vouchers .. Dave the swimming lesson instructor .. Would be nice if you let everybody know BEFORE your lessons we are not mind readers instead you shout at the top of your voice .. If anybody went across the rope a notice board in the gym or gym staff let people know and we would have come back later which we did the next day .. Also we went for a relaxing weekend away .. We did not want a staff member telling us they was short staffed .. On the positive side Lesley who we met at breakfast is truly great she went around talking to all the families and couples alike and even welcomed a newly married couple who was married the day before she deserves to be your head of customer services as she can teach the rest of your staff just how to do it .. This hotel was clean if a little bit dated I look forward to visiting you again and hopefully next you will get a 5 from me ( also some of the hotel information in the room was out of date )

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank angie01332
jonathan_huglin, General Manager at Holiday Inn Runcorn, responded to this reviewResponded 31 March 2014

Dear angie01332,
Firstly, let me begin by thanking you for taking the time to share the experience which you encountered during your stay here at the Holiday Inn Runcorn.
I am delighted to read that you are looking forward to visiting us again and that you would have scored us a 5 if it were not for the issues you encountered. I would like to take this opportunity to assure you that the team members in question will undergo further training in order to prevent concerns of the same nature.
I am also delighted to read your comments regarding Lesley. Lesley is a well loved member of the team and her excellent customer service skills do not go unnoticed, Lesley will be rewarded for her outstanding efforts and I know she will also be delighted to have made such an impression.
I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 16 March 2014 via mobile

I am a seasoned user of hotels, I use them 5 days a week so I feel I am quite within my rights to compare and contrast this establishment to the other ones I frequent. I am also a Diamond Member of Best Western hotels.

Cost of breakfast unrealistic.
Cost of wifi ridiculous.
Don't expect to be notified by any means if the room you ordered is not available and you end up with a room totally unacceptable.

Do expect to be treated by the front desk with a smug attitude
Do expect to be treated as if you are unimportant to their business.

Now for the kicker Holiday Inn, due to your smug staff and their attitude you have just lost not just me and my wife's custom but also my company's business. That's right as a Director of a company I authorise thousands of pounds worth of hotel expenses every month.

Treat the people who pay your wages the way they deserve to be treated or like me, people will be back.

Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank sumobat
jonathan_huglin, General Manager at Holiday Inn Runcorn, responded to this reviewResponded 17 March 2014

Dear sumobat,

I am deeply sorry that you did not have an enjoyable stay with us and I would very much like the opportunity to investigate these concerns raised, however, I would require further information from yourself in order to do this.

Would you be so kind as to e-mail my PA with your contact details and I will call you directly, to discuss this further.

Please e-mail Donna.Albiston@ihg.com and I look forward to speaking to you soon.

Jonathan Huglin

Also consider these accommodations in or near Runcorn
Best Western Forest Hills Hotel
Travelodge Widnes
Travelodge Widnes
#2 of 4 in Widnes
The Hillcrest Hotel Widnes

Been to Holiday Inn Runcorn? Share your experiences!