“Could be a really Great Hotel”

Holiday Inn Runcorn
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Runcorn
Reviewed 19 August 2014

We stayed here for 10 days, visiting relatives, touring and accompanying nephew during a soccer tournament. Hotel is set in a nice residential area but near enough to the M56 highways making it central to Manchester, Liverpool and Wales. Hotel staff is extremely attentive and very very friendly. I felt sorry for them as they have to work with some terrible conditions not their fault. Hotel is in need of a thorough update. From the front lobby to the bedding, carpeting etc. are all worn and really not up to American standards for a Holiday Inn. Even beds are small for Executive Rooms. Not Queen or Kings but doubles and the room itself is small with very few extras. The hotel was retrofitted for Air Conditioning but it takes for ever to cool rooms down. Window treatments don't exist. Sliding doors cover the windows are off tracks and not totally the right size to fit window areas. White boards fit in place to cover mistakes. sofas in rooms are stained and filthy and management states they are to be replaced, but when? The guest elevator is about 1/2 the size of those in the states. Very narrow and not deep at all. Only one exists making getting your luggage up and down during peak times a challenge. Breakfast was fairly enjoyable. Good selection and the chef will make individual orders for you. Again room needs updating and carpets cleaned etc. Hostesses extremely cordial and friendly. Free parking is a plus and plentiful. No Business center at all. Lone guest computer in lobby runs on old XP and you can hardly use the mouse since computer is in a cabinet. Pool area was clean but again worn and open to outsiders via a health club. Makes a crowded area sometimes. Again with upgrades this could be a great place.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Laura D, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Runcorn, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2014

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments onto the TripAdvisor website following your recent stay with us.
It's good to read that you found the team helpful and friendly however I regret that we fell below your expectations in other areas.
I will sghare your feedback with the team and please accept my sincere apologies for any disappointment caused.

Reviewed 19 August 2014

My partner and I stayed here (18/08) for one night as a romantic break. I was impressed with the building and the location was good for what we wanted.

However, there are some issues I feel I need to raise as the hotel overall let our romantic break down.
1) when checking in, we were charged £69 instead of the booking price of £66 which we were quoted on booking.com. We had requested an upgrade but as this was not put in place, I was a bit confused at the extra charges.
2) The bedroom, 331, was not very clean. We had a towel which had brown/orange stains on it. I had to personally clean the bath out myself before using it, the bed had dirty marks on the sheets and we found some contraceptive pills under the table.

Despite these issues, my partner and I tried to overlook it because I wasn't feeling very well so we did not want any issues. As a result of me being ill, we decided to have a meal in the restaurant.

Gill attended to us and we were very happy with her service.

However, there was another lady (I think she was a duty manager?) who was on the same shift who made me feel very uncomfortable. My partner went to the toilet just after our starter, and I heard her ask if we had paid for the meal despite only having a starter - it sounded as though she thought we had just walked off and not paid for the bill and I felt her watching us throughout the remainder of the meal.

Overall, the receptionist on the morning shift of the 19th August was lovely (I think she was poorly too, so thank you for remaining polite and being so helpful), and Gill in the restaurant was also lovely.

However, the issues my partner and I experienced was a real let down for us despite the comments we have heard about Holiday Inns, and as a result we aren't able to provide better feedback. As someone who has worked in a hotel, this experience surprised and annoyed me because the little things had the biggest impact.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Samantha F

I am sorry you had a disappointing stay and I would welcome the opportunity to apologise to you in person - as such please contact me at the hotel on 0871 942 9070.

Reviewed 17 August 2014

The hotel is in good decorative order as was the rooms. The rooms are clean and when I asked for the sofa bed to be made up, it was done immediately. The breakfast has the usual patisseries, and a fry up as well as a fruit bar. All good and tasty, the only comment is that we had to wait awhile to be served our coffee. I would recommend this hotel for both business stays and weekend visits to the surrounding area.

Room Tip: Try not to get a room that has a connecting door, as the noise between the two rooms carries.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback onto the TripAdvisor website following your stay with us - It's good to read that you found the rooms clean and food tasty comfortable and that you enjoyed the food and great that you would recommend us to others for both business and laisure stays.
We hope to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed 14 August 2014

We stayed here during our Land's End to John O'Groats bike ride. Easy to reach, on the route. Rooms are comfortable. The bikes were stored in a meeting room without any problems. The restaurant had to be booked before but bar food was good too.
Hotel is not cozy, used for big tour groups and business travellers. The room had a bath so good for the muscles after a long day of cycling.
Wifi (for use on a max of 2 devices) was around £8 for 4h on top of the room rate.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback onto this website following your stay with us -It's good to read that you found the rooms comfortable and that you enjoyed the food.
We hope to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed 7 August 2014 via mobile

Where to begin! When I first visited in the planning stage Sally could not have been more eelcoming, listening and making notes of all my daughters requests.to be candid we were not at all sure what to expect but the venue was first class with separate rooms for each part of the day. The grounds were attractive for photographs and apart from the ballroom both rooms had two sides of plate glass windows loong on to the gardens.the organisation was better than a number of 5* weddings we've attended. It was seamless and very friendly. The food was beautifully cooked and served by friendly and professional staff. We over ran by about an hour and a half but there was never any sense of rushing us out. The evening reception was a party which my daughter and new husband wNted and the food again was well cooked and presented and plentiful. The rooms were smallish but perfectly adequate and the whole hotel was immaculate. Breakfast was tasty , comprising of an English and continental selection. It was a day we didn't want to end and if you are considering the hotel for a marriage venue then oh ahead and you will not be disappointed! A huge thank you to Sally and all the staff at the hotel for making my daughter and son in laws wedding such a perfect day!

Stayed: August 2014
Laura D, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Runcorn, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2014

Thank you for posting your feedback onto the TripAdvisor website following your daughter's wedding here at the Holiday Inn Runcorn.
It's great to read that you all enjoyed this special day so much - I will share your feedback with the team and specifically recognise Sally for her excellent service.
Thank you for recommending us to others.
We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed 6 August 2014

Myself along with colleagues stayed here for one night on business.

The room was clean, although I feel it was a little dated. The service in the bar and restaurant was very good and the food good.

We did use the pool/sauna/steam room/gym and this was very good and definitely a positive for the hotel.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for taking time to post your comments onto the TripAdvisor website following your recent stay here at the Holiday Inn Runcorn.
It's good to read you found the hotel clean, our service and food good and you enjoyed our leisure facilities.
We hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed 5 August 2014

I stay in Holiday inns quite often most days of the working week, this unfortunately has to be one of the worst. If you are a member of the ICH rewards program don't expect any special treatment here. They don't recognise the rewards program other than you get free wifi. Other holiday inns are so much better at the customer service. Premier Elite members, stay in Chester.
Staff are miserable and just don't seem to understand that other hotels are available in the area. You get the impression they are doing you a favour letting you stay there. If you are reading this i would recommend even a short drive and stay somewhere else. If they put you in room 301, sleep in the car you will have a better nights sleep.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank 1Steve999

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback onto the TripAdvisor website following your recent stay here at the Holiday Inn Runcorn.
I am so sorry that you did not enjoy your experience at our hotel - please call me on 07736746297 so that I may help resolve and further understand what went wrong.
Operations Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Runcorn
Best Western Forest Hills Hotel
Travelodge Widnes
Travelodge Widnes
#2 of 4 in Widnes
The Hillcrest Hotel Widnes

Been to Holiday Inn Runcorn? Share your experiences!