“Nice place, needs a little bit of maintenance to make is better.”
Review of King's Arms

King's Arms
Ranked #5 of 7 Westerham B&B and Inns
Reviewed 23 December 2013

The room could have done with some work. The taps need maintenance,Bath panel was broken, the mattress was far too soft. The room itself was clean but needed a bit of decorative / maintenance attention. The room cost should be more like £50 for the quality not £75. As it was an overnight stay it was fine and the staff were really great. The pub and restaurant area is decorated really well. It was really quiet and peaceful and set in a really nice location in the center.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Webbie111

Reviewed 12 December 2013

Stayed at this hotel many years ago and it was great. So decided to spend a night here to take in the atmosphere of The turning on of the tree lights by Dr Hilary Jones, and the late night shopping. Arrived early so could not get in room. Went for a walk then decided to have lunch in the hotel. Unfortunately a firms Christmas party of 24 had just ordered so we were told there would be a 20 minute wait. We ordered our main meals and some tortilla chips to nibble on while we waited. The chips took ages and turned up just before our main meals nearly an hour after we had ordered. We were just relaxing so were not too bothered, and the food was very nice and well presented although the dish contents did not match the menu. The bar service was very good. The ladies toilets were by the way not very clean. We were eventually showed to our room, but there was no running water. After a while we were moved to another room which was much nicer, but again no running water. We were brought bottled water, but could not flush the toilet, and could only wash in the bottled water. This problem was remedied after about 20 minutes and the water was put back on. From this point things had improved and we were profusely apologised to, and we had been given some vouchers to appease for the food delay. Went out later to see lights etc and did not return to hotel until we were ready to sleep, having eaten and had a drink in the town. The four poster bed was very comfortable and the sleep quality was very good.Breakfast was not the best we have had but was ok. Restaurant was dusty and in need of a good vacuuming, but not bad enough to stop us eating there and we also got the impression that the staff wanted to get away or be doing something else. Not impressed with the hotel and will probably not return. The hotel location cannot be faulted with plenty of parking and right in the centre of town

Room Tip: We had a front room Henry V111 which was very Good.
1  Thank James H
Reviewed 4 December 2013

Despite the cold weather my room / bathroom was very warm as were the public rooms. My room was smallish (often a problem with an old building) but that was no problem for a single traveller. The staff were obliging and enthusiastic. I did not have dinner but did have light meals which were generously proportioned, served hot and promptly, and I did notice that the menu was extensive and diverse. The breakfast menu ("English" breakfast, or equivalent was included in the tariff) was very varied, with all the usual cereals, juices, etc, and again with generous portions for the cooked courses. My bed was most comfortable and I slept as well as I do at home. The bathroom water became hot almost immediately. For a nominal 3-star hotel this was all very welcome, and my stay was good value for money. (I am a 30+ year traveller on three continents.)

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Anthony F
Reviewed 4 December 2013

This was really three and a half stars - but we would definitely stay again. There's a nice feel to this place, and from our experience we don't feel it deserves any scathing criticism. Yes, there were some downsides that may have caused me to get really angry another time - but it had been a long day at a family funeral and Mrs Hobo wanted to put her feet up with a glass of wine in her hand. There was only one set of towels in the double bedroom, the panel on the side of the bath was badly broken, one of the radiators didn't work. However, the towels arrived within 5 minutes, and the room was cosy so the near frost outside wasn't felt. We slept well, the bed was comfortable. The service was good - Thomas was extremely helpful and Geraldine a pleasure to deal with and chat to. We enjoyed breakfast and service was quick. Apparently there's been a refurbishment - downstairs it certainly looks like it - the bar, restaurant, welcoming area and outside all look good, however the bedroom probably needs sprucing up. We would give the Arms another go but probably wouldn't stay longer than one night....at the moment.

Reviewed 12 November 2013

My wife and I and our son, who was visiting from Australia, decided to have a light lunch out and picked Westerham, then the Kings Arms. What a mistake! After about 20 minutes from ordering, a ciabatta, a wrap and a gammon and chips, the wrap arrived........then the multi grain sandwich! No we didn't order that, yes you did, no we didn't, and my wife then explained that she cannot eat multi grain bread so there is no way that it would have been ordered. We then sat for a further 10 minutes looking at the wrap on the table when I felt bound to enquire what has happened to the remainder of the order. I was told that our order input at the till had only printed out the first line on the kitchens machine..........so why was the multi grain sandwich brought to the table? We then had to wait a further 10 minutes for the ciabatta and the gammon steak. On arrival the gammon steak did not have the peas that are included on the menu and the salad garnish to the wrap and ciabatta were not only shameful on presentation but sad dank pieces of slimy lettuce generally stuck together, limp and brown on the edges. When we were eventually able to mention these deficiencies to someone we were told that it was the waitresses responsibility to check the presentation. As the waitress was also doubling as the barmaid and was quite busy that was hardly fair. Does the kitchen take no responsibility? In all, as other reviewers have said, it seems that there is nobody in charge or running the place and the staff, such as there are, have no training in a service industry. Someone at Old English Inns needs to get a grip of this place, if it were me I would be horrified at the Trip Advisor ratings.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Mr_Meldrew
Reviewed 3 November 2013

This hotel is nicely situated but, after that, you're struggling ! Our "superior" room was large but a bit shabby. The bathroom was cold and clinical. Receptionist on arrival could not explain why they wanted an extra £20 on the agreed room rate. More mature receptionist explained it all quite adequately at check-out. Breakfast was below average. Bacon and eggs were just about warm. There was dried sauce on our table and stains on the outside of the teapot. An earlier comment from the hotel said that matters like these were being attended to. They need to be attended to again !!!

2  Thank Ian D
Reviewed 27 October 2013

Stayed at this hotel with my partner a week or so ago. He was attending a dinner and we thought it would be nice for me to come along and stay in a lovely hotel.........Firstly noticed how cold our room was - when I enquired at reception if the heating could be turned on the young lady said it could but would take about an hour... an hour later radiators still freezing cold - enquired again and was told a heater had been left outside the room!!! - the rest of the hotel was warm and snug - not sure why this room (the Jane Seymour) was not included. I then ordered room service- just a tuna jacket potato - ordered it at 7.00 pm - still hadn't arrived by 7.50 pm so phoned reception - finally got it just after 8.00 pm. Went to put salt on my jacket potato but salt would not come out - unscrewed lid and ...what can I say - OH MY GOODNESS...... the pictures hopefully say it all - but if this is the state of a simple salt cellar what on earth is the remainder of the kitchen equipment like????? Needless to say I didn't finish my potato nor did I go down to breakfast the next morning - my partner did and luckily survived to tell the tale but I dread to think of the standards of hygeine that must exist. Also attach photos of the bathroom - just a small point, but as can be seen the shower curtain was hanging off the rail and wouldn't have fitted around properly anyway. The side of the bath was grubby and looked like it had never been cleaned - all in all a totally disappointing stay and I wish I had stayed at home................ hopefully environmental health will at some point inspect their kitchens and maybe cleanliness etc will improve.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Annette S
Also consider these accommodations in or near Westerham
Donnington Manor Hotel
#19 of 24 in Croydon
Grasshopper Inn
Grasshopper Inn
#2 of 7 in Westerham

Been to King's Arms? Share your experiences!