“Excellent definitely recommended!”

Sands at Bleak House
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Woking
Sands at Bleak House
Ranked #12 of 16 Woking B&B and Inns
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Excellent definitely recommended!”
Reviewed 13 July 2014

This is not a 'hotel' as such, but don't let that put you off! We stayed here for 3 nights for a family wedding. We ate on the 1st night in the restaurant ...the food was great standard, the service impeccable and made to feel very welcome. The wedding was a full day private function with full use of bar and beer garden, this was excellent, the staff could not do enough for us and were very pleasant and accommodating. We were on a B&B basis ...the breakfast is delivered the night before (hot pasties and scones, very yummy), and we shared the breakfast, hot beverage area with 3 other rooms, eat breakfast when you want. Rooms are spotless, cleaned and refreshed daily, if you prefer a hot cooked breakfast staff will do this for you ( small charge)
I would definitely recommend Sands, we were made very welcome and thoroughly enjoyed our stay, Carla and her team were amazing!

Room Tip: We had room5 on the ground floor, it seems this was a larger of the rooms, this is placed next to th...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank lg71Glasgow

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Reviewed 8 July 2014

We took over The Sands for my husband's 60th party it was fabulous, everything went to plan. The food was excellent, we had fish for main course which was great. Nothing was too much trouble for the staff and attention to detail was excellent. We would certainly recommend it for food and private parties.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank rebeccahughes407
Crawley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 December 2013 via mobile

10 of us for a Xmas set menu. Really warm welcome. Fantastic food! I had salmon, roast turkey mad Xmas pud. I really enjoyed the fresh flavours, well cooked and presented dishes and it was excellent quality!!

We will return. Very well done

Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Hampshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 September 2013 via mobile

I did not stay here but I went here for a Sunday Roast, which was very nice. The pub is very nicely decorated. The roast beef was some of the nicest meat I have eaten and the gravy was delicious, the only thing that could be improved was the potatoes could be a bit crispier and the Yorkshire pudding less over cooked. The desserts were very nice too and the service was good even thought they were busy. I would defiantly go back.

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank Kelly B
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 September 2013

We stayed at this hotel for a family wedding nearby. For £90 a night I would have expected a decent breakfast.
Instead we had to help ourselves to old croissants and cereals in the shared breakfast area. With no chairs in the bedroom, there is no where to sit and eat.
We were also only provided with 2 pints of milk for 8 adults consequently we ran out. There was no fresh coffee as described on the website.

There was no one on reception until 10am on the Sunday morning of our departure - so I had to ring and pay over the phone when I returned home. They should have informed us of this, very unprofessional in my opinion.

To top it all my Aunty, who had initially reserved the rooms with her credit card, received a phonecall demanding payment of £90 for food and drink that had not been payed for. This was an error on the hotels part! More hassle!!

Poor management/over priced/misleading regarding breakfast.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank libby h
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 June 2013

I've stayed at Sands for one night only, on my own, on business.

The location was ideal, for its vicinity to my final destination nearby, and the accommodation would have been acceptable… had it been for half the cost: I don’t feel the price they charge for a room in single occupancy reflects the service they provide. The website promises an accommodation in a ‘cosy setting’ plus a continental breakfast with a ‘delicious fresh baked pastry’. I don't feel that's what I got!

Ok, the staff was impeccable and the room clean, organised and well kept. The bathroom was spotless and the shower tap with thermostat a very nice find. However…

- The room was tiny; it’s ok for a single occupant, but a couple would have to literally walk over each other to move around. The space is so limited that you can’t swing the bathroom door without hitting (and therefore moving) the bedframe.
- The mattress was quite uncomfortable and the pillows too high, I woke up with a sprained neck.
- I stayed there in a rather warm night: the aircon is unusable as the fan hits you straight in the face, which makes it impossible to keep it on while trying to sleep. There was only a very heavy duvet with the foot cover on the bed. I found myself waking up in the middle of the night having to remove the duvet from the cover to use the latter on its own.
- The only suitable place for breakfast is a tiny folding table in the room: not ideal if you also have a laptop with you and you need some desk space to work.
- The TV set is quite dated and one of those that you can watch properly only from the front, i.e. it can be seen only while lying in the bed and not while sitting at the table.
- There is no TV guide option on the set and it takes ages to change from one channel to the next; which means that browsing channels takes forever.
- The shared breakfast area looks sleek but that’s pretty much all that there is good about it. You have to prepare breakfast for yourself and eat it in your room. You are left with croissants from the day before, so cold and stale, cold milk with no option for warming it up as no microwave is provided, and some teas and coffees (soluble or filter, if you can be bothered preparing the cafetiere for yourself). The fruit and yogurts in the fridge don’t make up for the lack of what I’d consider essential for a proper continental breakfast. There was no biscuit in sight or bread to toast.

I would have not complained if I had paid £49 or even £59 for the room, but I’ve stayed in much better accommodations for £89.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Geppo76
Dingle, Ireland
Reviewed 29 April 2013

My experience at the Sands was 50/50.

The accommodation it's self was modern and clean.
The shower temperature and pressure fantastic and the customer service was outstanding.

But I had one of the worse nights sleep ever, the double glazing does not stop the road noise, I could feel the springs in the mattress, the pillows are too tall (they strain your neck), the room was cold, at 6am I could hear another resident making a coffee in the communal breakfast area, I could hear them so clearly it was as if they were lying in bed next to me. And at 7.05am someone in the room above began to vacuum...banging into every piece of skirting board possible.

The communal breakfast area was already left dirty by other residents (before 10pm the night before breakfast)...dirty mugs left on the side, plates left in the sink. The pastries were already there when I arrived and not provided fresh in the morning, there was no microwave, so they were hard and stale. The light does not stay on long enough to make a cup of tea, so you end up walking back down a pitch black corridor to turn it back on again.

The TV in the room was tiny and I could not find a menu option on the remote to view what was on each channel.

My work will reimburse the cost of this nights accommodation, so I don't feel as disappointed as I probably should. But if it was my own hard earned cash, I'd feel very upset and disappointed.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business