“Good for families - decent rather than excellent”

Gigha Hotel Restaurant & Bistro
Price range: US$4 - US$39
Cuisines: British
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Under new owners, 12 Bedroom family run hotel and Restaurant and Bistro we serve quality food prepared in our kitchen. Gluten free and Vegetarians catered for. we are open all year it best to book in advance winter and summer alike. If you require food after 20:00 hrs please contact us in advance and we will try to accommodate you. groups of more than 6 people must book and you may be offered a set menu.
Canterbury, United Kingdom
“Good for families - decent rather than excellent”
Reviewed 25 August 2013

The Gigha Hotel epitomises the general feel on this beautiful community-owned island. You get a great, friendly welcome, with knowledgeable staff eager to please. Don't expect haute cuisine - this is a small rural community, eking out an existence from a short tourist season as best they can. Food (particularly the fish & chips) is average rather than excellent, but prices are mid-range also, so it is fairly priced. They were happy to serve a large party of 3 families, including 6 adults and 9 children, dealing effectively with us all, and all with a smile.

On a second visit, finding that the kitchen was undergoing maintenance and was only producing sandwiches, they still decided that they could produce fish & chips for my family of 5 - great service indeed.

The bar is snug, and locals are happy to chat, giving their advice on places to go etc. The next door cabin is great for families to eat in.

For those staying nearby, note that they do a fish & chip takeaway on Thursday and Friday evenings.

Overall, it's fairly standard pub grub, and is great for a family lunch or supper. Plus, by giving them your custom, you are supporting the community - that's something that I truly encourage you to do.

Ayr, United Kingdom
“Disappointing”
Reviewed 23 August 2013 via mobile

Looked forward to fresh seafood on menu and what I got was scallops I am sure that had been microwaved and served with a roasting hot limp lemon slice placed on top of anaemic scallops. No sign of having been seared at any time. For what I paid I expected better. Menu as disappointing as food. Loved the island, excellent local shop selling fresh Gigha scallops, hotel food very disappointing.

Bellshill, United Kingdom
“Community-run hotel with good atmosphere”
Reviewed 10 August 2013

Although I did not stay at the hotel i had a meal every evening there. The food is average and can be on the expensive side, depending on what you choose. The soup however was disappointing and the soup of the day could change without hardly any notice.
The pub and lounge have a very good friendly atmosphere with a mix of locals and visitors. This is a community run hotel and deserves to do well - with a bit of tweaking it could be very good indeed.

“Slightly let down”
Reviewed 5 August 2013 via mobile

I have been in Gigha for the few days and it was a lovely trip away. Went to this Hotel for drinks on Saturday night and the staff (Luke I think?) And the punters were very friendly and welcoming. A great night was had by all. Went in today for lunch with friends who had travelled over for the day. The prices were fair priced. Unfortunatly there was a slight mistake with our ordet which didnt bother us (iv worked in hotels and know how easy it is to make a mistake). It was the attitude of one of the ladies (small woman with glasses) that we were all taken by suprise with. We ordered 3 toasties (which were very poor) a sandwich and 4 portions of chips (chips were good). When food was on its way out we were 1 portion of chips short and one of the sandwiches were not toasted in which my friend pointed out. This lady had an attitude from this point and actually said to my friend 'well yous didnt write it on the order' (either she meant the waitress hadnt or we hadnt. Eithet way the response was very inappropriate and unprofessional). On her way out I politley asked if there was another portion of chips to come in which she replied 'no'. I explained all 4 of us had ordered chips and my response was absolutely nothing. She just looked at my like I was causing hassle amd walked away. When the remaining toastie amd chips finally appeared it was still wrong as my friend had ordered cheese amd pickle! So once again my friend said 'excuse me but I ordered pickle' to another member of staff and the original waitress quickly said 'oh im sorry we are out of pickle'. (continue to next review please)

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Great location, great food, slightly let down by the under-staffing”
Reviewed 2 August 2013

My family and I (2 adults, 2 teenagers) stayed two nights, lovely food, rooms very comfortable, cosy bar full of hearty sailing types on their way up and down the west coast, great views from the garden across the bay to the mainland. Only niggle was the rather erratic service in the evening (the single friendly waitress was run off her feet) and at breakfast, where a rather-inefficient waitress struggled to deliver breakfast in time for us to catch the ferry back to Tayinloan.

NB While on Gigha you should hire bikes from the hut near where the ferry comes in (book in advance) and cycle up to the north end of the island where there is a lovely beach.

• Visited July 2013