“Island paradise”
Review of Achamore House

Achamore House
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Isle of Gigha
Achamore House
England
“Island paradise”
Reviewed 3 June 2013

Achamore House is a must-stay for any couples travelling along the West Coast of Scotland. My boyfriend and I stayed here and found the whole experience wonderful. From the moment we approached the house up the driveway we knew this place would be special. The gardens are stunning and such a pleasure to walk through, we particularly enjoyed walking up to the viewpoint where there are picnic tables; perfect for a romantic lunch or drink if you plan ahead for a sunny day! The Boathouse nearby does a delicious dinner and the island itself is like a little slice of heaven, deserving of it's title "God's island". The hosts Emma and Don were very welcoming and the breakfasts were delicious too... just writing about it makes me feel very ready to head to Achamore House again! Take my word for it, this place makes for the perfect weekend getaway! (I also slept better in their beds than I had in ages, bliss!).

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Brighton and Hove, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 August 2012

I took my mother and my fiancée to Achamore House.  We stayed  in the Tower and Bridal suite. The beds were very comfy, had tea and coffee in the rooms and lots of hot water for a lovely hot bath and the views overlooked the lovely gardens.  The facilities available are great for family trips to Gigha with a dvd/tv room, pool table, snooker table and scrabble.  The breakfast was great, with a wide choice. The boiled eggs were amazing, the coffee was delightful. We sat at a table with such a lovely Dutch couple.

I can honestly say that Don, Emma , Rona and Tracy are wonderful hosts.  We really felt part of the family, they even sat down with us for many chats.

I strongly disagree with the negative comments below, we feel  it's unfair for people to make sporadic comments without making an effort to get to know people.  Those who write negative comments must understand that writing bad reviews can really impact on people's businesses, the Achamore House is a great gem and such a great asset to Gigha.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
Kirkmichael, Ayrshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 July 2012

We spent a long weekend here at the time of the Gigha Music Festival and it was lovely. It certainly wasn't the cheapest accommodation on the island, but we were lucky to find anything when we were booking so late. The house is magnificent, (think shabby chic) the welcome is lovely, and our room was extremely comfortable - the most comfortable bed I think I've slept in ever. The atmosphere was very relaxed and informal - there are no locked doors - there's no need. Our hosts were great - very warm and chatty. The breakfasts were fabulous. Overall, it's a very, very peaceful place to be and a nice place to retreat to after the noise and nonsense of the ceilidhs!

Room Tip: We didn't have an ensuite room - it would have cost a lot more money for very little extra benef...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 June 2012

Over the Jubilee weekend my mother, partner and I stayed at the lovely Acamore house on the island of Gigha. The house is amazing and the rooms comfortable and a well appointed. Our hosts were warm and made us all feel immediately at home. Located within beautiful botanical gardens I don't think I could have asked for a nicer retreat for the weekend. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: We stayed in Col. Horlick’s Room which was really lovely.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Alastair R
Lancaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 May 2012

The house itself is very impressive, big and old, but the rooms are really overpriced. They are really, really cold (no central heating) and the whole interior could've done with a lot of renovation. It looks definitely better from the outside than the inside. The gardens cost extra to get in, and they have been partly closed, too, so for 4.50 not really worth the money either.
As somebody else has already pointed out, the photos look much better than reality, if you want a real treat, then you might be disappointed - well, and it is also true that if you want the feel of a hotel, with reception and tvs in rooms, you should go for the hotel, too. (But it is clearly stated that it is not a hotel, so those facilites can't be expected).

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Sheila B
São Paulo
Reviewed 29 March 2012

an amazing experience, the building itself already worth a visit.
the rooms (I had Tower suite) is comfortable, the bed was really good, the breakfast is so good, by the way, the staff is absolutely dedicated to give you all you need to feel very spoiled.
the gardens around the house brings an enormous sense of peace and tranquility.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank MEdelstein
Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed 18 November 2011

We enjoyed very much our stay in Achamore house. Rooms are immaculate, very comfortable and breakfast was good. Obviously it is not a cheap accommodation, but it is really worthwhile for a special occasion. Owners are nice and helpful and, as I said, rooms are awesome!

Room Tip: All the rooms are good and even if you don't have an en suite is a nice experience as there are...
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Nimonemo

Been to Achamore House? Share your experiences!