“A memorable stay!”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Newcastle Emlyn
Wales
“A memorable stay!”
Reviewed 10 November 2012

After a stressful time we felt in need of some relaxation. After consulting the internet we chose Gwesty’r Emlyn and came to Newcastle Emlyn, a little country town that I have always liked.
We had room 2 which was on the first floor in annexe. It had a leather sofa, large flat screen TV and a modern bathroom. The only problem was when I was having a bath the water started to run out. I shouted to my husband who told me to tap the outlet cover and all was well! Crossing to the main hotel building at times needed an umbrella but as we come from west Wales we were prepared. We slept well as we were removed from the traffic noise.
We found the dining experience to be excellent. We liked the fact that that the attentive staff was Welsh speaking and found the other guests friendly. The food was really scrumptious. The choice at breakfast was exceptional. The only problem was that we had intended to have lunch somewhere before going home but we had eaten so much that we didn’t fancy lunch.
I found the reception staff very helpful. I had difficulty in getting internet access as I couldn’t read the small print on my kindle. I only needed access for a little time to download a newspaper and one of the receptionists helped me. The download took 15 seconds and I then went up to my comfortable sofa to read the paper.
Although we only stayed for one night we explored the little town which has many interesting shops and a castle. We also visited Cenarth, Cilgerran Castle and Cardigan.
All in all a wonderful stay. We found Gwesty’r Emlyn to be excellent with friendly management, helpful staff, wonderful accommodation and first class food. We will return!

1 Thank en08
keith e, General Manager at Emlyn Hotel, responded to this review, 21 November 2012
Thank for taking the time to review the Gwestyr Emlyn..We are so glad you had a stress free time with us and enjoyed our restaurant.Just a point on walking across our courtyard you dont have to if its raining there is access through the corridor via the main archway,having said that the hotel is a bit of a tardis so we will ensure future guests are informed, as you should have been ,sorry.
Keith Eaton GM.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
Altrincham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 November 2012

We booked this through Groupon as I don't think we would have found it otherwise but we were really impressed. The room was beautifully done in very modern but soothing colours and the bed was very comfortable. The food was amazing! A very high quality - delicious, beautifully cooked and brilliantly presented. The staff were all very friendly and helpful which created a very welcoming atmosphere - really couldn't fault the hotel. We would happily go again. Highly recommended for a romantic get away.

1 Thank janemackenzie81
Thank you so much for your time in reviewing The Gwestyr Emlyn, we are deleighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and we hope to see you in the near future.
Keith Eaton GM.
Llantrisant, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 November 2012

Desperate in need for a stay away from home and work to blow away the cobwebs and recharge the batteries - and this certainly ticked all the boxes!
We were welcomed by very friendly hotel staff (majority were Welsh speaking which was an added bonus) in a relaxed atmosphere. Our room was very clean and tastefully furnished.
Good choice of food on both bar and restaurant menus and we were not disappointed. Food was to a very high standard. Returned home totally chillaxed!

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
keith e, General Manager at Emlyn Hotel, responded to this review, 11 November 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your lovely feedback about your recent experience at the Gwesty’r Emlyn Hotel.

We are very proud of our staff at Gwesty’r Emlyn Hotel and it is always pleasing to receive such kind comments as yours. I am delighted to know that you came to Gwesty’r Emlyn for a break and that you returned home well rested.
I hope we will get the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel in the future.

cardiff
Reviewed 4 November 2012

stayed at this hotel, Anniversary gift, when we arrived (booked with a groupon voucher apparently worth £270) we were taken outside to stay in ty meddyg (room 27) round the corner in the courtyard next to the laundry and lots of cars, room very good lovely modern feel, very cosy, very clean, but dissappointed to be outside the main hotel, welcome by staff was above and beyond, Ben is a lovely young member of the bar staff extremely friendly, polite and seemed to know alot about different beverages etc, our first night we decided on some drinks in the bar and a cheese board which we really enjoyed. our first night sleep we endured the whirring sound of a fan or generator of some type all night! dreadful and cars back and fo doors slamming etc, also the en-suite bathroom window is low enough for people to see you in the shower, we recommend a blind of some sort even tho the glass is frosted, we booked ameal in the restaurant on the Sat, ther meal was outstanding especially the garlic potatoes, and the little Hors d'œuvres and breads was a nice touch and the service was second to none,I think our waitress was Elge sorry if thats wrong, she was very attentive, we deal feel a little excluded we sat up near the kitchen and everyone else seemed to be in the main part of the restaurant, we just felt a little like 2nd class citizens because we had a deal with the Groupon voucher,and became a bit of a running joke between us all weekend, while everyone enjoyed the hotel we had to face the rain and wind walking back and fo our room out on our own, we did speak to the receptionist who reassured us that it was just the way the rooms and tables had been allocated, but it felt different to that, and even tho our room was lovely it certainly wasn't worth the equivalent of £270 it was a little misleading

Room Tip: i emailed before hand and requested not to be in room 27 but we still were... you will not sleep wel...
Thank you for your review following your recent stay at Gwesty’r Emlyn Hotel

I was sorry to hear that you were not entirely happy with the room allocated. I would like to apologise for the disappointment and inconvenience this caused to you. Ty Meddyg is one of our newest rooms at the hotel that was renovated in Summer 2012. The cars parked outside the room belongs to the nearby houses but thank you for informing us of the noise level and I will take action accordingly.

I am equally sorry that you felt excluded by sitting on top part of the Restaurant while having dinner; we allocate tables on the top and bottom of the restaurant. While you were having dinner no one else was there, we did allocate other tables up there at the same time but they decided to have Bar meals and other tables had not arrived before you left. I can ensure you it was nothing to do with the fact that you booked via Groupon. At Gwesty’r Emlyn Hotel everybody is treated the same and we strive to give excellent Service.

However, I was pleased to read that you thought our staff were extremely attentive and nice. We are very proud of our staff at Gwesty’r Emlyn and it is always pleasing to receive such kind comments as yours.

Newport, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 November 2012

Just returned from this delightful hotel. Staff, accomadation and food were all fab, will def be visiting again. The hotel is in a lovely little village but also close to others areas of interest. There are gym/spa facilities but we didnt use them.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed the hotel and felt that the service from the staff was excellent.

It gives me great pleasure to read that you would stay here again and I hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

Keith Eaton General
Rhoose, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 October 2012

This was our second visit and did not disappoint. We were staying for our first wedding anniversary and when they heard this they offered us a room upgrade free of charge. The room was No. 2 and it was amazing. Lovely decoration and very spacious. We ate in the restaurant in the evening which was first class. As a vegetarian I was delighted to see three options for my main as I am so used to being just offered one. I had the broad bean and pea risotto which was gorgeous, my husband had the brisket which he cooed after all weekend. We retired to the snug area of the bar where the lovely member of staff asked us what we would like to watch on the TV and as we were the only ones there we had full pick of the channels. This hotel is so special. The staff are all amazing, the décor is to such a high standard I would love them to come and decorate my house and the quality of the food is outstanding. We will definitely be back as this is a gem of a hotel and the surrounding countryside and coast are stunning.

Room Tip: Room two was quite, comfortable and roomy.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your kind words and it was our pleasure to have you staying in Gwesty’r Emlyn Hotel on such a special occasion. We as a Team strive to make everybody’s stay here a special one and I am happy that we have exceeded you expectations.
We hope to welcome you back in the future.

Trowbridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 October 2012

We booked a two night stay on a Groupon deal, no thought to it really just right deal at the right time. However, talk about strike it lucky! Lovely hotel, beautifully refurbished, excellent food and service. The staff were all lovely too. The town itself is quite quiet but well placed for exploring the wider area.

We will definately be returning.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
We are delighted that you enjoyed your Stay with us. If you are ready for a break away in the future and wish to visit the Teifi Valley, please give my reception team a call.
Hope to welcome you back in the future

Also consider these accommodations in or near Newcastle Emlyn
#1 of 7 in Carmarthen
The Plough Inn
The Plough Inn
#1 of 3 in Llandeilo

Been to Emlyn Hotel? Share your experiences!