1882 Colonial Manor Inn
US$68
Econo Lodge(Pocomoke City)
US$61
Average 3/5
All reviewsbiscuitshandicap accessible roomturnoversantique furniturechincoteague islandbed and breakfastprivate bathfirst floormade us feelb bsmotherlindahomemadestoriestownhostsdog
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 18 April 2012

I have stayed at Colonial Manor Inn several times. If you want to feel like you are home away from home, this is for you! The house is quiet and spacious. There are many rooms to visit with nice artwork (many done by one of the owners, Carroll Richardson). The thoughtful choice of antiques also adds to the charm of the Inn.

Linda and Carroll, the mother and daughter team, are warm and welcoming! The breakfast that they “throw” together is fit for royalty! As you eat, Linda will tell you activities going on in the area, which is very helpful for newcomers. They are fairly new to the area but have immersed themselves in the Eastern Shore way of life.

Onancock is a lovely place to view the Victorian homes of a bygone day. A seasonal ferry that goes to Tangier Island is an added bonus and will allow you a glimpse of a part of Virginia few rarely see. And of course, Chinquoteague, a quaint beach town, is a short drive away.

Colonial Manor Inn is central to many activities on the Eastern Shore and is a great “home” base for those willing to explore! The fact that they allow dogs is another added bonus!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 5 February 2012

On a whim my husband and I drove to the Eastern Shore for an anniversary get away and found the Colonial Manor Inn. Never having stayed at a bed and breakfast before, we were not sure what to expect. What we got was a gracious, friendly, clean environment with a touch home that is GREATLY missing at a cold hotel. We stayed in room 5 and were impressed with the cleanliness and amount of room provided. The library provided a warm, cozy place to curl up with a varied selection of reading materials! Breakfast was delicious! Fresh berries, home made biscuits, fresh squeezed juice, omlets, homefries - and warm conversation with our hosts. These ladies know their business and do it to perfection. We can't wait to return again when the weather is warmer and we can extend our stay. We would recommend the Colonial Manor Inn to all!!!!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 October 2011

All
I wanted was a convenient, nice, reasonably priced place to stay overnight on my way through the Eastern Shore to Va. this summer, and what I got was a rejuvating and relaxing 16 hours that I wished I could have extended for the rest of the weekend. My room was spacious and the bed linens crisp, the breakfast scrumptious and sumptuous, the hosts accommodating and friendly.

The comfortable historic inn is as inviting as it is interesting, truly a small town experience. If you are seeking sterile, service, or formality, look elsewhere. Linda and Carroll are down-to-earth, talented, and knowledgeable.

I experienced none of the complaints mentioned by others. I found the energy-consciousness of the innkeepers also a plus. I only wished that Orancock itself was doing a bit better economically, but that could be said of many towns these days.

I meant to write this review sooner, as I have relied on the honesty of the reviewers on this website to find some great places, and wish to contribute to the community.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank MLY-DC
Reviewed 19 September 2011

Staying at the Colonial Manor Inn is akin to staying with some long-lost cousins! The mother-daughter hosts are friendly and gracious and will give you tips on all the things to do in Onancock and the Eastern Shore, from taking the ferry to Tangier Island, to kayaking Onancock Creek. The best part is you can bring the kids and the dog to this pet-friendly inn with a large wooded yard to play in. There's even a fully handicapped-accessible room. We love that this inn is truly "Green." The organic eggs on your breakfast plate likely came from the chickens out back, who are fed scraps from the kitchen, and produce fertilizer for the garden.

Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Mary B
Reviewed 8 August 2011

My daughter and I took the"Chesapeake Lights Cruise"that had a stop-over in Onancock,this was our first stay at a B.and B..We were very tired from our all day lighthouse tour,our visit would be short,we didn't get to see much of the area,but would like to return.The house was great and comfortable,but the air conditioner in room #5 was louder than the ship's motor.I could not believe the noise,we REALLY NEEDED a good night's sleep-when the owner took us to our room,she did comment the air conditioner must be having a problem,i figured i could fool with the controls or turn it off and open the windows,but we were not offered another room or a discount.I did try to correct the problem to no avail,we could not get the windows open,there were no other rooms open and there was nowhere else to go that late in the afternoon,especially when you must walk every where and you have no transportation ! Needless to say,neither of us had a decent nights sleep,we shut it off-when we got too hot,turned it on -til we could no longer take the noise...this problem had to be going on for quite some time,just by the look of the air conditioner you could tell it was very old and needed replaced long ago.We went down to a fantastic breakfast the next morning,we were asked how we slept and I said awful-everyone joked about it,nothing was said except the conditioner must be replaced and that would be difficult because of the odd size.I never complain about anything,and I feel bad about even writing this,I sleep with a fan where I live,since we have no air conditioning-so i can sleep with some noise-but this was bad.I figure when you run an establishment such as this-air quality/conditioning would be an important point of issue.Please get this replaced before anyone else feels as we did,i felt worse when I got online and found others who have had the same issue at this very same-so maybe all the conditioners can be upgraded if need be.Other than that one issue,the house was great,the food and service likewise.I think it is wonderful that the Colonial is pet-friendly,they are few and far between.It is a beautiful place in a great little historic town,wish we had had more time to spend exploring !!...I may camp out next time...

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank frisco2
Liadan, Owner at 1882 Colonial Manor Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 14 April 2012

All i can say is I'm sorry. I really had no idea the AC kept you from sleeping. I definitely would have offered compensation. You must have been exceptionally polite and subtle in your complaint, because I usually try to be very responsive to my guests needs.

You'll be happy to know that the AC has been replaced, even with the odd size window.

I do have an old house, 130 years old. I've replaced many ACs already and a new Central air for the common areas. I keep upgrading services, decor, and amenities all the time. I hope the next time you come you'll find us much improved.

We continually strive to be as good as the much higher priced 'luxury' B&Bs, yet stay affordable. We've actually won several awards recently, including a "Best of the Best" award out of 8500 inns from the Lanier Travel Guide.

Please give us another try and let us wow you!

Linda