“Your typical pub, not your typical location”

The Blarney Stone Pub
Ranked #6 of 15 Restaurants in Onancock
Price range: US$7 - US$22
Cuisines: American, Irish, Pub
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: The Blarney Stone Pub is a lovely Irish Pub. We are located in the quaint, water town of Onancock, Virginia, next to the DMV. Established in 2004, we have been catering to locals and visitors for a decade. Our chef prepares daily specials and offers classic favorites, like our hand-dipped fish and chips, bangers and mash and shepherd's pie. If what you are looking for is some local flavor, look no further. Our steamed clams and Portabella Chesapeake are sure to delight. The next time you visit Onancock, be sure to stop by. We would love to have you. See you at the Pub!
Hudson, NY
“Your typical pub, not your typical location”
Reviewed 23 March 2014

We chose the Blarney Stone for bite to eat a little later in the evening that usual. We had been to a restaurant in Onancock the night before and saw the pub from across the street and figured at 9:00 p.m. in this quiet part of the Eastern Shore it was probably one of the few places that would still be serving food.

Upon entering we were greeted with the music of a one man band playing Irish music (it was 2 days before St. Patrick's Day). It was little loud, so we opted for the table farthest away. The people sitting right next to him, though, were thoroughly enjoying themselves. He actually finished shortly after we arrived.

We ordered a drink and buffalo chicken wings and a quesadilla. Everything was delivered promptly and the food was good, although the quesadilla was a bit bland but with the accompanying salsa it perked right up. Overall a good place to go for a casual bite to eat.

• Visited March 2014

Virginia
“1st time disappointed”
Reviewed 19 November 2013

This pub has always been one of our favorite places to dine. The quality of the food is normally consistently outstanding. The service is always friendly making you feel like you are with family. Unfortunately this was not the case at our last visit. I am so hoping that this was just a one time anomaly and doesn't occur again. It was not a very crowded evening, it was a Friday around 5:30. If it were busy I would have maybe understood. It was not a problem with the service but with the food. My dinner companion and I had both opted to start with a soup. I ordered the mushroom brie and my companion ordered the New England clam chowder. both soups arrived just barely warm. I had ordered a Caesar salad as I have had in the past. When the salad arrived it seemed very dry. I am not a person that likes my salads drenched in dressing but I don't think there was anything on this salad and I had to request for the server to bring out some dressing. There was what sounded like a very nice steak on the dinner specials that evening. It did arrive as ordered (medium) and it had wonderful flavor but the steak was so tough and chewy. It was even difficult to try to cut it with a steak knife. My dinner companion just couldn't finish it. It just was not a good quality steak.

I do want to stress that this is the first time this has happened at this restaurant. Normally all the food, the fish & chips, the Shepherds Pie, the burgers, the wee blarney salad and just about everything else is wonderful, including their expansive selection of beers on tap. Outside of this last evenings experience I would give them a 5 rating. I will still strongly recommend this restaurant to anyone as I am so sure it was just a one time bad situation. The atmosphere is so warm and inviting and it's really a great place to even just sit at the bar and have a Guinness.

Visited November 2013
4 Thank VirginiaTopkat
Fort Collins, Colorado
“Where did all those people come from?”
Reviewed 29 October 2013

Onancock seems like a very quiet little place with not much going on. I was surprised by how packed The Blarney Stone was, but it was a Friday night. Have a Red-Headed Stepchild with your crab cakes, which were on special the night I went in there. Food's great, service is great. Don't miss it.

Visited October 2013
4 Thank boatmisser
Mineral, Virginia
“local troubadour add flavour to a saturday night out”
Reviewed 26 August 2013

The patio was perfect for listening to the local troubadour - wish I could remember his name, but I think it was greg. A voice that recalls jim croce or Gordon lightfoot (and he does covers of both), but if you can, request a couple of originals, especially his Christmas ditty. The Beer was varied, cold and delivered with a smile (course, it might have helped that we had joined with townspeople for the evening!)

Visited August 2013
1 Thank dave r
Potomac, Maryland
“Good eats!”
Reviewed 4 August 2013

Split the shepard's pie: enough for two and delicious! The place is a short walk from The Spinning Wheel.

Visited July 2013

Been to The Blarney Stone Pub? Share your experiences!