“Kayakers Delight on the Eastern Shore of VA”

SouthEast Expeditions
Ranked #4 of 11 things to do in Onancock
More attraction details
Owner description: SouthEast Expeditions is the Eastern Shore of Virginia's Leading EcoTour Outfitter. Leading Kayak Trips & Rentals through Barrier Islands, Salt Marshes, and Coastal Creeks from Chincoteague to Cape Charles, our ACA certified guides are also trained naturalists. Classes & Sales are also available.
Reviewed 14 August 2012

Just wanted to give a BIG SHOUT OUT to Bill and Mary who run the Onancock Va kayak shop, SouthEast Expeditions. My wife and I are avid stillwater kayakers and have paddled around much of the eastern shore of MD. We decided to do some exploring around the eastern shore of VA last week. Never having been there before, I randomly called SouthEast Expeditions and spoke with Mary Burnham (an adventure travel writer too) who provided some great ideas on what to do around the area (she is partial to Onancock, but only because it's a great town). Husband Bill had some great recommendations too on where to paddle, and loaned us a map (very much a necessity). We signed up for a "rescue and rolling" lesson with Bill as well to hone some paddling skills, and it was time well spent. Bill really worked with our skill level to help us learn and practice some basics of self and partner rescue. I would highly recommend any intermediate/novice paddler (and of course beginners) to hook up with Bill to help advance your skills - he's a great instructor who really focuses on your needs.

On another day, I took a kayak surf lesson with Dave Burden on Assateague Island. We had some big surf that day (peak 4-6 ft) but I was comfortable in the sit-on-top. Dave really helped me out with reading the waves, positioning the boat, and getting my bracing mechanics into muscle memory. And when that didn't work, he graciously rounded up my boat after I would tumble out and hauled it back up the beach as we were getting a heavy drift. Dave is also a fabulous instructor with a lot of enthusiasm for kayak surfing. Kayakers looking to get to the next level, or simply out for a new experience, should check it out.

4  Thank Balto-Rob

Reviewed 31 July 2012

The Wings, Water, & Wine expedition package was an absolute blast! My boyfriend and I had a wonderful time from the moment we arrived at the airfield for hang gliding, until we returned to the dock after kayaking to a local winery for a tasting. Everyone we interacted with was pleasant, knowledgeable, and very helpful, even when I got lost on the way to the airfield and arrived an hour late. Hang gliding at 2000 ft was very exciting and the instructor/pilot did an excellent job of showing me how the glider worked (and let me do a little steering!) and pointing out the sights below us. Once we got to the winery, the wine tasting was delicious, and seeing the historic vineyard only added to the experience. While kayaking, our guide pointed out all sorts of interesting wildlife (a bald eagle, ospreys, a cow-nose ray, and a heron nesting site, among others) and went out of her way to ensure we had an enjoyable paddle to and from the winery.

Overall this expedition was one of the most enjoyable day trips I've ever taken. I recommend this expedition and SouthEast Expeditions to *everyone* and can't wait to go back!

Reviewed 29 May 2012

Had a great trip to Onancock, VA and was able to utilize a kayak for the weekend. SouthEast Expeditions was great to deal with and delivered the kayak to our doorstep. The owners were great and when they came to drop off the kayak he was sure to point out points of interests that we might want to go and see in the kayak. Very friendly and customer oriented. We will use each time we go out to the area and will try some other rentals they have as well.

1  Thank fabirdman99
Reviewed 20 April 2012

Our guide, Dave, taught us the ins and outs of kayaking and we were off an exploring in no time at all. He was extremely knowledgable about just about everything on Eastern Shore National Wildlife Preserve. We kept saying "What's this?" and he always had an answer and a great story. Our kids learned more on vacation than most kids learn in school. The conversation and being up close and personal with the environment was definitely the highlight of our trip to the Eastern Shore. All four kids, ages 9-17, loved it and so did mom and dad. This was our first guided expedition and I would highly recommend a SouthEast Expeditions trip to anyone.

1  Thank Jack B
Reviewed 21 August 2011

This was such a great experience. My dad, my brother, and I went kayaking together. It was a stunningly gorgeous trip. My brother was pretty nervous at first, and definitely slower than the rest of us for a while, but the guide was so supportive and helpful and made him feel at ease.