“wings and water tour”

SouthEast Expeditions
Ranked #2 of 11 things to do in Onancock
More attraction details
Owner description: SouthEast Expeditions is the Eastern Shore of Virginia's Leading EcoTour Outfitter. Leading Kayak Trips & Rentals through Barrier Islands, Salt Marshes, and Coastal Creeks from Chincoteague to Cape Charles, our ACA certified guides are also trained naturalists. Classes & Sales are also available.
Richmond, Virginia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“wings and water tour”
Reviewed 24 October 2012

hang gliding and a kayaking wine tour. The hang gliding had to be rescheduled but the lunch and wine tour were great

Visited October 2012
1 Thank SARAH M

Philadelphia
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“If you like kayaking - put SouthEast Expeditions on your list”
Reviewed 26 September 2012

My wife and I made a stay in Onancock part of our late August trip because of the great reviews about SouthEast expeditions from other Trip Advisor members. And we were not disappointed!! Besides being a lovely town with super friendly people, great places to eat and cool shops, we went out on the Kayak Winery tour. Our guide was Will Cummings, was super knowledgeable about the area, kayaking, and the wildlife, really made it a special trip. We had kayaked before, so we had some experience, but Will helped us to improve out technique by showing us how to hold the paddles and the proper stroke motion. We kayaked over to a local winery (Chatham), participated in a tasting, had a private tour by the owner, bought a few bottles, and kayaked back to our start point. Overall the trip was about three hours and our only disappointment was not being in town longer to take advantage of other kayaking spots and tours. Also, I didn't meet Mary Burnham in person, but had several phone / email conversations. She was also very knowledgeable and helpful to us in deciding which trip to go on.

Visited August 2012
1 Thank levh01
Baltimore MD
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 56 helpful votes
“Kayakers Delight on the Eastern Shore of VA”
Reviewed 14 August 2012

Just wanted to give a BIG SHOUT OUT to Bill and Mary who run the Onancock Va kayak shop, SouthEast Expeditions. My wife and I are avid stillwater kayakers and have paddled around much of the eastern shore of MD. We decided to do some exploring around the eastern shore of VA last week. Never having been there before, I randomly called SouthEast Expeditions and spoke with Mary Burnham (an adventure travel writer too) who provided some great ideas on what to do around the area (she is partial to Onancock, but only because it's a great town). Husband Bill had some great recommendations too on where to paddle, and loaned us a map (very much a necessity). We signed up for a "rescue and rolling" lesson with Bill as well to hone some paddling skills, and it was time well spent. Bill really worked with our skill level to help us learn and practice some basics of self and partner rescue. I would highly recommend any intermediate/novice paddler (and of course beginners) to hook up with Bill to help advance your skills - he's a great instructor who really focuses on your needs.

On another day, I took a kayak surf lesson with Dave Burden on Assateague Island. We had some big surf that day (peak 4-6 ft) but I was comfortable in the sit-on-top. Dave really helped me out with reading the waves, positioning the boat, and getting my bracing mechanics into muscle memory. And when that didn't work, he graciously rounded up my boat after I would tumble out and hauled it back up the beach as we were getting a heavy drift. Dave is also a fabulous instructor with a lot of enthusiasm for kayak surfing. Kayakers looking to get to the next level, or simply out for a new experience, should check it out.

Visited August 2012
4 Thank Balto-Rob
Raleigh, North Carolina
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Amazing Expedition!”
Reviewed 31 July 2012

The Wings, Water, & Wine expedition package was an absolute blast! My boyfriend and I had a wonderful time from the moment we arrived at the airfield for hang gliding, until we returned to the dock after kayaking to a local winery for a tasting. Everyone we interacted with was pleasant, knowledgeable, and very helpful, even when I got lost on the way to the airfield and arrived an hour late. Hang gliding at 2000 ft was very exciting and the instructor/pilot did an excellent job of showing me how the glider worked (and let me do a little steering!) and pointing out the sights below us. Once we got to the winery, the wine tasting was delicious, and seeing the historic vineyard only added to the experience. While kayaking, our guide pointed out all sorts of interesting wildlife (a bald eagle, ospreys, a cow-nose ray, and a heron nesting site, among others) and went out of her way to ensure we had an enjoyable paddle to and from the winery.

Overall this expedition was one of the most enjoyable day trips I've ever taken. I recommend this expedition and SouthEast Expeditions to *everyone* and can't wait to go back!

Visited June 2012
NC
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Great Kayak Experience”
Reviewed 29 May 2012

Had a great trip to Onancock, VA and was able to utilize a kayak for the weekend. SouthEast Expeditions was great to deal with and delivered the kayak to our doorstep. The owners were great and when they came to drop off the kayak he was sure to point out points of interests that we might want to go and see in the kayak. Very friendly and customer oriented. We will use each time we go out to the area and will try some other rentals they have as well.

Visited May 2012