“Great quick lunch on a rainy Sunday”

Janet's Onancock General Store & Cafe
Ranked #4 of 15 Restaurants in Onancock
Price range: US$7 - US$12
Cuisines: American, Cafe
Good for: Child-friendly, Kids
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Parking Available, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Janet's Onancock General Store is a small hometown cafe that serves great food, with fresh ingredients, and provides plenty of healthy choices. Our reviews, regardless of the site you go to, are always great. Come check us out. We're a 'primo go-to' place for locals, many of whom eat with us one or more times a week. There's no better feedback than that! Come enjoy!
Charlottesville, Virginia
“Great quick lunch on a rainy Sunday”
Reviewed 31 March 2014 via mobile

We were staying in Cape Charles for a long weekend, but the rainy weather got us in the car driving to explore some other spots on the Eastern Shore. We drove north to Onancock and found Janet's for lunch.
We were warmly welcomed when we walked in the door and shown the menu and specials. There was a large after-church crowd of locals who had the place buzzing. We tried the ham and Brie sandwich special as well as the roast beef sandwich special. Both were great--fantastic fresh bread that was crunchy on the outside but nice and soft inside.
We hope to return in sunnier weather. That said, this was a nice stop.

1 Thank EmilyTravels84

Richmond, Va
“More, Please!!!”
Reviewed 13 January 2014

I couldn't make up my mind, so I ordered last, and there is a reason for that. I listened while my party ordered a diverse medley of breakfast dishes. Figuring I had plenty of choices to sample from, I ordered the Cobb salad. Each dish was so fresh and tasty. Delicious French toast, Oh my. The waffle was so good and my salad was large, fresh and loaded with great ingredients. I doubt you will ever find a brown piece of lettuce from Janet's kitchen. And it isn't that dried up lettuce from a bag! That kind of thing matters to me. She takes pride in each dish that is prepared. Can not wait to go back.

• Visited November 2013
Greenbush, VA
“Great little place to eat”
Reviewed 13 January 2014

I have now had several lunches there - dined in twice and had carry out twice - and never less than wonderful. The cafe is small so seating is limited. Do not worry, any wait you have will be worth it. The menu is not extensive but the items on it are flavorful and well proportioned. Janet and her staff are personable and accommodating.

• Visited December 2013
Princess Anne, Maryland
“Great local flavor”
Reviewed 24 December 2013 via mobile

Had a terrific lunch on Christmas Eve. Grilled shrimp ceasar salad was fresh and delicious. Cranberry chicken salad was some of the best we've ever had! Well done!

Norfolk, Va.
“Eastern Shore Jewel”
Reviewed 5 December 2013

While exploring The Eastern Shore of Virginia with relatives from Northern Ireland we stopped in this beautiful inlet town off the Chesapeake Bay. Planning ahead I'd check TA for a place to eat lunch. Janet's was number one and I know why. It's a small cafe on a corner with nice light from a large window front. For a small place I thought the menu had a great variety of salads, sandwiches and soups. There was also a daily specials board which listed several choices. While wating for my husband, our server Bill was very attentive and helped explain or should I say describe the menu. We were craning our necks to see what was being served at the other tables to help us chose. It all looked so appetizing I wish I could say that our party tried several things but we were sold on the corned beef and the ham, brie and apple sandwiches. They were absolutely delicious. The ham and corned beef were so tender that it practically melted in your mouth. The service was quick and Janet came by to check on us. We will definitely return to Janet's and would even plan travels up the shore to coincide with lunch time so we could go there. The town is not far off route 13.

• Visited November 2013