“Awesome Lunch!!”

Mallards at the Wharf
Ranked #1 of 15 Restaurants in Onancock
Price range: US$8 - US$25
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Waterfront dining with an upscale casual seafood focused menu. Specializing in the use of Local, sustainable and fresh products with an award winning chef.
Reviewed 1 December 2013

We stopped at Mallards for lunch. It's located in a historic building with great views of Onancock Harbor. I was torn between two items, and our server recommended my first choice, the Fresh Mozzarella, but he recommend that I get it with bacon, and option that wasn't even on the menu. It was a superb recommendation. It came on toasted flatbread, with buffalo mozzarella, fresh tomato, pesto mayo, and the bacon. I'm prone to overstatement, but it was a near-religious experience biting into it. Absolutely fabulous! My wife had a 1/2 Clerk (turkey) sandwich and the soup of the day, tomato basil, which she enjoyed very much. Both were served with a bag of Krunchers chips. They serve Pepsi products and only unsweet tea (sweeteners were available). It was definitely a great meal that we'll remember, and we'll go back the next chance we have.

Reviewed 26 November 2013

Stopped here for lunch while on a business trip. Food was excellent. First off, love the building and location. Looks like a little fishing shack on the water and fits right in with the historic area. Food was amazing. I'd never tried Rockfish before this trip, now its one of my favorites. This place is a hidden gem that's a favorite among the locals.

Reviewed 19 November 2013

We went on a Saturday Evening at the end of August and from start to finish it was not a good experience. We wanted to sit outside but an employee told us there were no seats available. As we were about to get seated the hostess returned to the station and said there were outside seats. It was not exactly Patio Seating. They had placed 3 tables up against the outside of the building which was on a walkway to the dock, needless to stay with all the bugs and flies it was not very pleasant. I ordered a drink and the waitress said she didn't know how to make it. (?Where was the bartender?) I explained how to make it. Then she came back and told me they were out of the ingredients (one of which was Pina Colada mix) The I asked what kind of beer they had, it turned out to be only 1 kind on tap. I said fine I would take that but I asked them to please make sure they put a slice or orange in the beer as this is how it is normally served.. The waitress returned once again to advise me they were out of oranges. We then had some questions about the menu, there was a steak that was served with an Asian Sauce/Marinade. I asked the waitress how the sauce was prepared and she said she didn't know because she never had it.???? The quality of the food once it was served a very long time later was not very good. When the steak arrived it did not come as ordered (medium) it was absolutely well done.
I know that guests at the table next to us had ordered something fried and it came out so over cooked it was almost burnt. What a disappointment. This was not our first visit here and we had the same horrible type of service and poor quality food the prior time as well. Since it was still the summer season we would have thought they would be on "top of their game", trying to still attract that summer crowd and hopefully get return business, but not so.This place could really be good if some changes were made. At the very least, ensure that the service staff is attentive to guests and make sure they know their menu. It almost seemed they were more interested in spending time with their fellow co-workers and not very interested in the customers. They should be aware of what is in each dish and how it is prepared. I would also recommend having more than 1 beer on tap. There are several other much better places to dine in Onancock and it would be nice if this place would make the adjustments to rise above the other restaurants. It really could have so much to offer.

1  Thank VirginiaTopkat
mallardman, Owner at Mallards at the Wharf, responded to this reviewResponded 3 December 2013

Hello, my name is Johnny Mo. I am the chef and owner of mallards at the wharf. Thank you for your recent review of our restaurant. Trip advisor is a key tool for us to monitor our customers experiences, good and bad. I am sorry to hear about your less than pleasant experience this summer. We strive to train our staff on basic menu knowledge and proper service, however that does not justify the unprofessional service you received. For that I apologize.
Mallards is the only waterfront dining in Onancock so obviously our outdoor waterfront tables are usually obtained by making reservations on busy summer evenings. We also offer two air conditioned, water view indoor dining rooms to accommodate guests in the hottest part of the year like August. This is also unfortunately when the flies and other seasonal pests are most likely found near the water. The new tables where you were seated were added this year to accommodate people who want to slip in without making reservations or just want to sit and enjoy the sunset over a beverage or appetizer.
To address the steak being over cooked there is really no excuse. I do apologize for that as well. We had several issues with that particular cut of meat and it was removed from the menu and replaced with an 8 oz. filet mignon.
Once again thank you for using trip advisor and I hope you will consider giving Mallards at the Wharf another try the next time you return to beautiful Onancock VA.

Johnny Mo
Chef/owner

Reviewed 10 November 2013 via mobile

Onancock is a hidden gem on the Eastern Shore. Usually, we just pass through on 13 en route to Virginia Beach or Outer Banks. We stopped here for lunch, and it was a worthwhile detour.

The lunch menu here is an outstanding value. I got a fried grouper sandwich, and for only $10, got a huge piece of fish. It was one of the best grouper sandwiches I've ever had. My companions also enjoyed their meals (fish tacos, grilled grouper). Great quality and portion for the price.

Reviewed 6 November 2013

The hostess was very kind before being seated. Our waitress knew the menu very well and made excellent suggestions. My wife was suggested to try the broiled striped bass and I was suggested to try the horseradish crusted salmon. My wife and I enjoyed the food and waterfront experience very much. The mussels are a must suggested appetizer. Johnny Mo has a great book and cd that my wife and I are enjoying

Been to Mallards at the Wharf? Share your experiences!