“Great property”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Gros Morne National Park
Middle Brook Cottages & Chalets
North Houston, Texas
“Great property”
Reviewed 5 August 2014

My husband and I spent 3 nights at Middlebrook Cottages. We had a non-efficiency room which was very clean and comfortable. The room was furnished in pine accents and furniture for a country-rustic look. It had a small fridge, microwave and coffee maker. The grounds were lovely. There was a trail that lead to a stream with a few small waterfalls-very nice. The management was very friendly and helpful and the convenience store had some nice souvenirs in it. It was located on the way to Tablelands and Trout River. Woody Point was nearby for restaurants. Highly recommended and we would stay there again.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 23 June 2014

My husband and I stayed here one night after hiking to Western Brook Pond and doing the cruise. We were tired and cold and the deluxe cabin was like paradise. Great fireplace, comfy bed, full kitchen and of course the hot tub to ease our aching muscles. Super clean and super comfortable, we wished we stayed more nights. Cottages are located in a beautiful spot near the Tablelands in Gros Morne. A little remote, but then that is Newfoundland for you. Next time, we would bring in provisions, knowing there is a full kitchen, but the frozen pizza we found at the general store 5 minutes away tasted like manna to two weary and hungry hikers. Nice store at the cabins for souvenirs as well

Room Tip: All the rooms look great, but for couples ask for the deluxe cabin if it's available.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank OzzieinLA
twillingate,nl
Reviewed 11 June 2014

My husband and I just had a two night stay at Middlebrook Cottages and the cottages were wonderful.Once we arrived at the cottages, we were very pleased with the accommodation.The interior is very bright and cherry and done with pine throughout.Cabin #8 was very spacious,immaculate,and very nicely decorated.It was a one bedroom/efficiency cottage with a whirlpool tub,fireplace,large bathroom and a very comfortable bed/pillows.There is a fire pit with wood provided and a horseshoe pit for some fun if you are looking for something to do.There is a waterfall just in front of the chalets and cottages and a gift shop/laundromat on site if anything is needed..I would recommend these cottages to anyone.

Room Tip: Cabin 8-very spacious
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank connieTwillingate_nl
St. John's, Canada
Reviewed 1 June 2014

I stayed here last year. They were clean, bright, in an excellent location. The management were friendly and helpful and were there to please.

I would stay there again as the location, service, cost were very reasonable for the service provided..

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Iron H
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed 8 September 2013

Going to Newfoundland--except for some hardy and in many cases gracious people who already live there--is not easy. It's out in the North Atlantic. Not far out, but swiming there is not realistic. A plane plus a car rental, or a 5 hour+ passenger/car ferry are the real options. And they cost.

Once there, the island is bigger than you thought. Over 300 miles to drive on the Western side to the top of the Great Northern Pennisula (where Vikings spent some time at a settlement you can visit). And 300 miles from the nearest Ferry point, Port au Basque, on the Island's Southwest Coast. Further still by Ferry or plane to the East Coast near Saint Johns, their prime city. But two things alone are worth the trip to this wonder island: Their National Park and the locals you meet.

Gros Morne National Park is a UNESCO World Heritage Site ready to take your breath away. It's one of the rare, rare spots where the middle layer of the earth, the Mantle, has pushed over the ages to the surface, above the waterline, a geological wonder that should be on all our bucket lists.

The Park is huge: mountains, lakes, inlets, whales, eagles, porpoises, minks, moose, many species of birds, etc. Beauty and wildlife to gladden a naturalist's soul. Think on the scale of a Yellowstone or Yosemite. Gros Morne is some 700 square miles, with the earth's mantle and ancient seabed (over a billion years old and counting), a Norwegian like Fiord, scores of charming tickles (small inlets or coves to you and me) rivers, lakes, waterfalls, Canada's second highest Mountain, and the vast Gulf of Saint Lawrence--all in the same sight-line. Whatta Park!

Then there's the people of Newfoundland. So many show kindness, courtesy, lack of self-advantage or profit motives towards those who tour their island. They can't do enough for you. (More about that later.)

And to those still reading this, here's the point: You can't get better examples of both--a stunning Park and stunning courtesy--than at Middle Brook Cottages in the heart of Gros Morne National Park itself.

The rooms, cottages, suite-like in many cases, are only several years old, feature beautiful pinewood panels, modern stone tile floors, cathedral ceilings, lounge chairs inside and out on your private deck.. You'll have floor lamps, a desk, a wi-fi connection that really works, a beautiful bath with a stall shower you'll want to somehow take home in your car.

Our Unit 4 had a huge two-person hot tub/whirlpool bath right in the main Great Room: a lover's or anniversary or family-trip paradise. And a bed and mattress you wished you owned too. If a spec of dirt had the nerve to enter, the staff sure knows how to get rid of it. Immaculate! You can park a few steps from your door. No hallways or asphalt parking contests to deal with.

Leaving your room, even for all the beauty outside, is hard, but so welcoming to return to for a second or more nights while you Guide Boat and local Ferry Ride (The 2 mile hike to Western Brook Pond, where a boat takes you out onto to this Glacier formed waterway, right in the middle of a knock-em dead Mountain Range on one side, the earth mantle and ancient sea bed on the other. You'll then know why the UN says this is a super-special place. Of course, there are many other things to see and do: mountain hikes, water falls, walk/tour guide on the actual mantle. Be sure to visit several outstanding Park centers, Theatre Festivals and Craft Fairs, eat in some pretty good restaurants. (Try the Cod cheeks or tongue. I know:but, honest, they're delicious!)

If you admire modern, functional, yet gracious accommodations, I haven't found one better than Middle Brook Cottages, Chalets, and (Deluxe) Rooms. This old man has been to lots of places, foreign and domestic, through the years. There should be more places of this style and character in other places, all, in this case, at a third of the cost of so many 'fancy-deluxe' countryside places; or even a New York, Las Vegas, London or Montreal.

Middle Brook Cottages are owned and run by caring people, Wilson and Joanne, husband and wife who also have full time outside careers. She a Social Worker at a major hospital complex with an hour plus commute to the town of Corner Brook. (She sure knows how to empathetically help people.) He is also fully employed in Corner Brook; I don't remember where. How they do all this, outside jobs while tending a major resort facility, all of it so well; it beats me. But they do.

How nice are they? When my wife registered, she asked if their was wine for sale in their extensive gift and supply and souvenir shop. She got a 'Sorry, no.' When she said we were celebrating a milestone anniversary, out of nowhere came what must have been a costly bottle of their personal wine. “I can't sell this, it would be illegal. So here, a gift. Happy Anniversary.”

When asked for advice about where to go to dinner, first came the name and directions to the place and what they served. Then a phone call to the restaurant to assure they would still be open. Then, being heartedly greeted by the restaurant staff, who stayed open to accomdate us. Plus while eating, another phone call from Middle Brook Cottages to the restaurant to assure that we found our way and were being treated well.

The last episode is a bit personal, but here goes. I couldn't resist their in-room hot tub. I knew I might have trouble getting out of it, but ... Well, I couldn't get myself out without help. So at 11 at night, my wife sought aid. Magically, owner Wilson appeared outside his living quarters--came to our room, and without fuss or embarrassment, lifted me out as if I weighed next to nothing, which I don't. Said to us 'worse things could have happened, no one was hurt,' and making no notice of my being in the all-together, promptly left, a hero into the night; like the Lone Ranger.

What a couple, what a facility, what a Park and Island, Oh Canada, what a people! (Free rear-view replacement at an auto-glass shop. Personal lead car escort from one fully booked hotel to a recommended alternative. And he wouldn't take a tip. "Pass it on" was he said. A fellow guest at another B&B in Corner Brook (a 'Newfie') stopping street traffic so we could safely back up our RV in the morning. All these and more at other locations in the Maritimes.)

in short I liked every aspect of this experience. You? Go at least once in your life to Newfoundland. Bring home some Screech (Rum) Chocolates, Bakeapple Jam and Syrups, some handcrafted woolen scarfs, mittens and incredible socks at astoundingly low prices. Of course, I recommend, unreservedly, Gros Morne and a stay at the Middle Brook Cottages.

Room Tip: Room, Challet, take your choice. You won't be sorry,
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank rblvegas
St. John's, Canada
Reviewed 31 July 2013

I was traveling for work and required a place for a couple of weeknight. Middle Brook Cottages and Chalets are in the heart of Gros Morne National Park. It is located 10 minutes from Woody Point and 10 minutes from the Lomond River, which is a great salmon river. I stayed in a suite because the cabins were booked. I wasn't disappointed! The room had a corner whirlpool bath, cathedral ceilings and a full bathroom. The place was spotless and oh so clean and modern looking. There is air conditioning but we decided to sleep with the large window open. There is a playground for children and a fire pit for people to use. They have a craft store with some small items; jams, sweaters, ornaments, etc. I like the location/layout especially if you have children. I would strongly recommend this place to others. I loved the location so much we stayed for extra nights.

Room Tip: Book early to ensure a chalet or for a single person pick the suite.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank 835Dolores709
Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 July 2013

We stayed here unexpectedly after our accommodation in Woody Point did not work out. We arrived fairly late in the evening on the off-chance that they would have a unit for the night and ended up staying three nights. Our first night was in a non-efficiency unit which had two double beds and a fridge in the room; our second and third nights were spent in a two-bed chalet (we knew we would be moving after the first night when we checked-in because it was so short notice). The staff, however, moved all our bags and foodstuff for us so we could be out for the entire day and we arrived back that evening to find our bags in the new chalet and our food in the fridge. Both accommodations were comfortable and clean.
The location is next to the road leading into the south side of the park but this was never a problem as there was very little traffic in the evenings and none at all (that we heard) during the night. The staff were extremely friendly and helpful and we found the laundry facilities to be excellent.
The units were well-equipped inside and had a gas barbecue and picnic table outside. There was also a children's play area and a communal fire pit.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
#1 of 4 in Norris Point
Sugar Hill Inn
Sugar Hill Inn
#2 of 4 in Norris Point

Been to Middle Brook Cottages & Chalets? Share your experiences!