“Sandcastle!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Amazing as always”
Review of Sandcastle Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Jost Van Dyke
Sandcastle Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Jost Van Dyke
Pacific Harbour, Fiji
“Sandcastle!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Amazing as always”
Reviewed 16 February 2014

My friend and I stayed at Sandcastle in February and although I had been there before, it still impressed me again, We had a garden room on the beach which was large and beautifully decorated, The outdoor shower was fun and the gardens and adirondak chairs beside it were comfortable. It was nice staying in the rooms because you had access to the hammocks and grounds,
I can't even begin to describe how fun it is to be there. The Soggy Dollar bar is always busy from sunup to sundown. Our first day we were tired and I plopped into a comfy chair by the bar with my painkiller and relaxed. Then a musician set up his guitar and started playing and singing beautiful songs. What a great way to relax after a long trip there,His name was Oren Hodge and I got his CD which I have listened to many times since arriving home. In fact it's playing right now and I'm wishing I was back at Sandcastle,,,,

The first day we were taken aback when we saw all the boats headed for Soggy Dollar at about 11am but no matter how busy the bar was everyone still got their drinks. The Painkiller is the best in the world and the most popular drink there.

The service was good at the bar and the rooms were well taken care of. I can't describe the great vibes you feel while being there. We put a raft in a hammock and layed there looking up at the palm trees swaying above us...then looking out at the many shades of blue water and white sand. We put our chairs in the water (Sandcastle doesn't mind) and sat there watching all the boats..yachts...dingys...million dollar vessels...sailboats...and people playing and laughing in the water. There is only one Sandcastle and it is incredible. They do everything right here. I could have easily stayed for a month and never got tired of it,

We also hiked up to the top of the mountain and back for exercise. Every morning we got our complimentary coffee and walked the entire beach. My friend snorkled near the rocks and saw beautiful fish. We walked to Ivan's once a day to try different drinks and talk with the people there. One couple we met down there came looking for us later to invite us for cocktails on there boat! Everyone was super friendly.

At night when Sandcastle is quiet you can catch a cab to Foxy's and dance the night away. There was entertainment every night there!! Fun people too.

Sandcastle is a trip of a lifetime and should be on everyone's bucket list. I'm fortunate to have gone there twice and it hasn't changed a bit,

Room Tip: The Ocean front cottages would be best but they are all good.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
8 Thank oceanrunninggirl

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
eclarkebu
Reviewed 29 December 2013

My wife and I first discovered the Sandcastle when we came to Jost Van Dyke for the day when sailing. We loved it so much, we knew we had to return. Just returned home from a wonderful 5 days. Literally, it was perfect. We stayed from a Tuesday to Sunday and flew direct from Newark to St. Thomas and then used Dolphin Water Taxi to take us to Jost.

To be clear, this isn't a hotel in the true sense. It really more like a "camp" along the beach -- the bar is the lobby. Rooms are very beachy; open air, colorful. Be warned - the showers are outdoors (unless you are in an AC room - then your shower is indoor). Hot water can be a little scarce, but certainly not a deal breaker. All in all, the Soggy Dollar/Sandcastle are exactly the type of place we wanted for JVD. You come to the island to get away, unplug, and RELAX.

Yes, the beach does great crowded between 11-4, but order yourself a painkiller and you'll be just fine. We can't wait to go back!

Some helpful tips:
1. Have a painkiller (we prefer ours with Vodka, not rum)
2. Don't worry about beach chairs, they are aplenty. You can definitely get one before the crowds come. The hotel also keeps a roped off area for guests of the hotel.
3. Remember to order your breakfast the night before by denoting what you want on the whiteboard.
4. If you eat dinner at the hotel, remember to place your order during the day before 5pm (really this holds true for any restaurant on the island).
5. Some of our favorite things on the lunch menu - Conch fritters, grilled cheese, hamburger
6. We also had lunch one day at One Love - very good. Definitely try a lobster wrap and order a bush wacker drink.
7. Go out and explore some other restaurants for dinner - our favorite - Harris' Place and Corsairs.
8. The soggy dollar bar does not have a blender, most drinks at the bar use painkiller base.
9. Don't worry about tipping individually - you can add a blanket gratuity on at the end during check-out.

Room Tip: All the rooms are great - very close to beach. AC rooms have indoor showers
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
9 Thank eclarkebu
summit, nj
Reviewed 23 October 2013

OK, I say that tongue in cheek.....because, this is MY heaven, but, it can be difficult sometimes to get a reservation at The Sandcastle and not everyone gets in. For no other reason than it's very popular with its guests and accommodations are very limited....just a few cottages and 2 air-conditioned rooms. I've stayed here twice now and I just can't say enough about this little boutique hotel smack-dab in the middle of Heaven. I've stayed in one of the air-conditioned rooms (which was nice to head back to and cool off because it can get hot on the beach) and one of the beachfront cottages. The beach-front was my fave. It's awesome! Being right on the beach, listening to the waves at night and having your own private hammock to lay in is as good as it gets! The service here is great! The food is an amazing surprise!!! I ate better here than in some of the nicest restaurants in NYC!!! The staff is more than friendly and to be able to soak in the fun and sun of Jost Van Dyke while being a guest here makes for the best vacations I've ever been on! The Soggy Dollar Bar is better known than the hotel, itself, but the bar is actually housed within the hotel. I think what I loved best (other than the obvious beauty of the island and White Bay) is that The Soggy Dollar is hoppin' with day-trippers, but, at around 4:00 p.m., they scatter off to their respective islands or harbors and the quiet ensues. The nights are relaxing and quiet and, for me, there's nothing better. Party all day, relax all night! You will not be disappointed when staying at the Sandcastle Hotel. What a gem!!!!!! I'm so happy I found this in my lifetime!!!!!

Room Tip: I would say you have to be flexible with your travel plans. Call The Sandcastle and see what dates...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Krazeekat
Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed 29 July 2013

We travel quite a bit all over the world, and we still rate our best vacation ever as our honeymoon on Jost Van Dyke. we recently went back in 2012 and nothing had changed! still the best kept secret as a hotel is Sand Castle! The beach is pristine, with lots of day visitors, but secluded at night. the accommodations are humble without televisions or A/C (some), but it's exactly what we want (no resort or hotel style). the food is phenomenal for such a small quant place, and the service is by far the best I have experienced in the Caribbean. I will continually go back to Jost a dozen more times in my lifetime, all because of the friendliness of this resort and how they make it seem like you are in the south pacific, miles away from the world.

Room Tip: Don't drift too far during the day thinking that night life is when you need to be around the re...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank cory_gocats
McKinney, Texas
Reviewed 5 July 2013

The Sandcastle Hotel truly is heaven on earth for my husband and I. We have been traveling to Jost van Dyke since 2006 and we LOVE staying at Sandcastle. Everyone that works there is so friendly and kind and goes out of their way to make sure you are happy. Every time we return, we feel like we are back home with family! The location is perfect for doing absolutely nothing (while still being in the midst of everything) OR for going anywhere on the island. The rooms are perfect- very clean and well maintained. The recent updates make the rooms feel like the perfect beach oasis. We love how laid back and low key the entire vibe of the hotel and island is... We arrive with a backpack for a 7-10 day vacation and never feel like we need anything more. If you are looking to be pampered at an all-inclusive pool resort, this may not be the island for you.. If you are looking for a true beach vacation- with beach bars, gorgeous beaches, crystal clear water and amazing views from all around the island- then this place is for you. Anytime we try going somewhere else, we always wish we were on JVD. We love checking the Soggy Webcam daily and always count down to our next visit.

Room Tip: We love the garden cottages because they offer a bit more privacy and are only a few additional step...
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank live4vacation78
Plant City, Florida
Reviewed 5 June 2013

My husband and I stayed there for our 25th wedding anniversary. We has the most relaxing time there. The staff was wonderful and the food is great. And what can you say about the PAINKILLER THE BEST. It is a beautiful island, we snorkeled right around the cove. There were lots of fish and coral. It was absolutely beautiful. Can't weight to go back.

Room Tip: Two rooms have AC but you don't need it. We used it one night and we really did not need it.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Lisa J
Traverse City, Michigan
Reviewed 21 May 2013

Where else can you go for 7-10 days and pack all of your needs into a carry-on bag. Bathing suits, some sandals, funky t-shirts and a care-free attitude is all you really need. With 6 cottages/rooms, it's easy to become friends with your fellow guests and the staff knows you on a first name basis. The food at the Sandcastle is fantastic. For a change in menus, one can walk down the beach to Gertrude's, Jewel's or One Love....shoes not required at any of them. Tired of sucking down Painkillers the day before, an early morning hike up the mountain and across the island will provide great exercise and spectacular views (hiking/walking shoes are a must) Have been to Jost and the Sandcastle 5 times, looking forward to #6 in March, 2014.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
#2 of 6 in Jost Van Dyke
Peter Island Resort and Spa
Peter Island Resort and Spa
#1 of 1 in Peter Island

Been to Sandcastle Hotel? Share your experiences!