“Amazing Place with Amazing Service”
Review of Sandcastle Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Jost Van Dyke
Sandcastle Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Jost Van Dyke
Reviewed 10 November 2006

This was not my first trip to Sandcastle and certainly won't be my last. I have been traveling to the West Indies for close to 30 years and put this on the top of my list of experiences. The whole staff looks after your every need. Sandy greeted me like an old friend and Roger got my bags to my room. When I got to the bar Mic was already preparing a painkiller which the hotel's bar the Soggy Dollar is world famous for. I noted a post here regarding the busy beach, yes it does get busy sometimes but nothing like beaches in other places like Jamaica, the Caymans or even Cane Garden Bay and the crowd is just to get to the bar. The group there is always diverse and very interesting dotted with the occasional celebrity. The rest of the beach is pretty much empty. It is very hard to do any kind of research on Sandcastle and their Soggy Dollar without finding out that they have been voted the most popular bar on the beach in the whole Caribbean by at least two different publications and for several years. Any research will tell you it is very popular during the day. But those seeking solitude just take a short walk down the beach. As for the food, the chef (Oliver) is considered one of the best in the islands, his food is amazingly good and gets constant raves. In the several times I've stayed there I have met maybe one couple unhappy, but they were looking for something like the Ritz Carlton not a 6 room boutique hotel. As for all trips to the islands I brought my own bug spray but found I didn't use it that much. I must say that the actions attributed to Sandy are extremely out of character as is the left in the dark (all guest are escorted to their rooms as the rooms do not have numbers and they want to make certain the guests are settled. Flashlights are provided as well. As far as dinner, Saturday is the chef's night off but the hotel makes transportation available to one of the places that stay open year round. I've met a good many honeymoon couples at Sandcastle and all of them were so happy their research led them there as they couldn't imagine a better place for the honeymoon. I've kept in touch with many I've met there and all look forward to getting back as soon as possible. I guess the proof is the return rate. The hotel has a very high rate of return guests, higher than any place I've ever seen making reservations hard to come by many times of the year.

• Stayed: August 2006, travelled solo
8  Thank fitzj92543

Reviewed 19 October 2006

My husband and I just returned from 7 days at Sand Castle on Jost Van Dyke. October 7-14, 2006. I found Sandy, the manager to be terse and not a people person.

We arrived Saturday night around 7 only to find out the hotel restaurant was not open and nothing on the island was open yet because of the season. No one told us that. Would've been nice to know. She seemd to not care either. She also dumps you out in the dark, no flashlight, you lug your own suitcases to your room and that's it.

The next day, we awoke to beautiful, private beach and water. By 11:30 it was packed with people. Boats come up and moor, then loads of people come to the Soggy Dollar bar. So all day your "private" getaway becomes a nightmare. If you like this, then great. But we had hopes of peace and quite. You have to claim your chairs early or the drunk visitors will take over.

That said, Tina was great. (ANother manager) And the other staff we're great. Mic the bartender is wonderful. But Sandy has to go.

When it was time to leave, even though I had tried to talk to her about it the day prior and I even used her computer to check my flights, she claimed I had not let her know we were leaving the next day and so we had no bill ready, no cab, nothing. Her explanation: You can't do anything last minute here. (Well, I didn't think I had.)

Considering how much you spend to be there, you'd think they'd be on top of that for y ou.

THE FOOD. Ugh. It was horrible. One night, no one could even eat their lamb it was so tough. And yet nothing else was offered to us. The fish? Salmon!! That's not native to the BVIs is it? Fishy, too. The only good meals are breakfast. And youhave to start your own coffee in the morning....

One day, they trimmed trees around our cottage. They left all the branches. I finally moved them myself, as they were in front of our door.

ANd OMG, the mosquitos and sand fleas will eat you alive. Here is a picture of my huhsband's ankle (can't show the rest). Two of the other women staying there looked as if their backs had been overtaken. Big, nasty bites covered them.

I have to say, we have been to many places in the BVIs and if you want peace, quite, killer service, spend a little more and go to PETER ISLAND. We will next year.

• Stayed: September 2006, travelled as a couple
6  Thank lblack
Reviewed 14 August 2006

We have just returned from 5 days at the Sandcastle in Jost van Dyke. This truly has to be one of the most beautiful beaches in the world! White sand, blue water, and palm trees abound. The beach is all but deserted before 11:00 AM and after 4:00 PM. Meals at the Sandcastle are great - worth the $35 fixed price. The Soggy Dollar is a great bar and many well known people appear throughout the day. The atmosphere is great - very friendly! Mosquitoes are the biggest problem that occurs and there is plenty of OFF available for use. Dress is swimsuits/shorts/shirts. You will return home tanned and relaxed. ENJOY!!

• Stayed: August 2006, travelled as a couple

#1 of 1 in Beef Island
Mafolie Hotel
Mafolie Hotel
#3 of 7 in Charlotte Amalie

Been to Sandcastle Hotel? Share your experiences!