“Simply Paradise”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Jost Van Dyke
Perfect Pineapple Guest Houses
Reviewed 17 March 2014

Upon arrival to JVD we were greeted by a taxi that took us to the Perfect Pineapple. Greg was standing outside as if he was waiting for our arrival. He took care of the cab fare and took us right to our room. We have room 1 and it was up a very steep hill however, once up that hill..... HEAVEN! Our view of White Bay was as if you were to close your eyes and envision heaven. We had a large balcony to enjoy the scenery and a hammock to relax in. The room was perfect as well. There was a kitchen with a small stove, Fridge and a coffee maker. A BBQ is provided right out side your door as well. The bathroom was great, towels and shampoo and shower gel were also provided. There is air and a fan in the room as well to cool off on those hot sunny days.

For breakfast Hilda makes breakfast sandwiches which are really good. You have to pay for them however worth every penny, go see her when you are ready for food!

The room was super clean and they came in every other day to tidy up the place.

There is a grocery store (Rudys) that you can get some essentials for your stay. Check the fridge and cabinets before you go as there may be some items left behind. We left water and alcohol for the next person. :-)

Please give this place a try. It was great and I felt as if I were at home!! Please do not hesitate to message me if you have any questions.

We were about a 5 minute walk to the beach. Where you are close to Gertrude's, One Love, Coco Loco's and the Soggy Dollar.

Room Tip: Rooms at the top of the hill are the BEST view.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank jabjcb
There are newer reviews for Perfect Pineapple Guest Houses

Reviewed 9 March 2014

I am in love with JVD and have been traveling there for the past three years, staying for an extended period of time to get away from the cold weather and stress of life at home. The island and the PP is perfect for relaxation and peace. I wake early, hike, beach and then go to sleep early. My stress just falls away. White bay is active during the day but quiet at night. Great Harbour is opposite. It is the perfect place to do nothing. The people at PP are very accommodating and friendly and take care of what is needed. The bed is so comfy and having a kitchen allows me to cook nearly every night - although i recommend provisioning in Tortola. Sleeping in the hammock under the stars is also recommended, but do not forget bugspray.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank igravers
Reviewed 27 February 2014

We spent a week at the Perfect Pineapple in early February this year. I am so glad we decided to give it a chance. The last place we stayed on the island was very nice, but very costly, and no AC.
We arrived on Sunday in St. Thomas. We took the wrong ferry and ended up missing the ferry from Tortola to Jost. Greg was nice enough to get a water taxi to come pick us up. We made it to the dock and Greg picked us up. Took us up to our room and let us in, showed us where stuff was located. Which was good because our bed, couch and bath were located in one part of the cottage and our kitchen in the other.
AC worked wonderfully, and it was nice to need coming from the worse winter in Chicago. The bed was really comfy and there were plenty of drawers for all our stuff. There was also wi-fi, which was great to make sure everyone at home knew how great our stay was.
They stopped in every other day to straighten the room, give us new towels and empty out the garbage, which is a really nice touch. We tried not to track in too much sand, but I know we did track in some. Sorry about that!
The walk to the beach looks far on the map, but it really was not. Plus you can get beach chairs at Gertrude's. (Or the bar that is right by the walk to the beach.) They will ask if you paid for it, just tell them, quietly, that you are staying at the Pineapple.
There are a couple of things that some people might put in the negative column:
- Big hill to get up and down. The island is hilly. I knew that going in and had actively trained myself for it. It was not a problem for us, but it might be for some.
- The room was basic. TV, bed, couch, bathroom. The kitchen had a sink, hot plate and fridge, It all worked for us. We used the room to sleep and shower.
- There are bugs. It's an island that gets lots of rain. Hence, you get a lot of bugs. It wasn't horrible, but some people are put off by this. If bugs "bug" you, then this might not be the island for you.
- No key. I know this would probably annoy some people. It actually made us feel better knowing how safe and wonderful this island is.
We would definitely stay here again. We love the island and we love the people!

Room Tip: If you have trouble climbing up steep hills, I would suggest that you let them know that when bookin...
1  Thank islandgirl_june2005
Reviewed 16 February 2014

My friend and I had a great time at the Perfect Pineapple. Check in was quick and easy and we had a room which was up the steps and located above the office and restaurant. We found it to be clean, decorated nicely, with a small kitchen and big refrigerator. (which still had a couple bottles of rum in it from the last guests :)

The bathroom was fine and the shower was large. We were surprised it came with a nice family room and satellite TV. Of course every time we came in to change our swim suits we had to sneak a peak at the snow storms hitting the northeast and count our blessings we were in Jost Van Dyke!!

We slept very well here and during the day we enjoyed the beach at Sandcastle. Many mornings we got up and walked up the mountain for exercise. One time we walked all the way to Foxys. It was a nice trail and not too hard if you are in shape. We passed a guy who walked the entire trail every morning.

For breakfast we ate the breakfast sandwich which was so large we were able to split it. Very good. They always have a bowl of bananas for the guests too.

I would recommend Perfect Pineapple. We also stayed at Sandcastle...that's another review!

Room Tip: I think the ones at the top might have a better view but I'm actually happy we were on the botto...
Reviewed 11 February 2014

Just returned from a 10 day trip to Jost Van Dyke with my wife and stayed 7 days at Perfect Pineapple. I originally had the entire 10 days booked with them, but then after the initial notice of availability, it was later said that we would have to move the last 2 nights because a "frequent guest" was returning. I agreed, as many places were sold out and hoped that they would reconsider us moving the 2nd to the last night, since the "frequent guest" was going to be staying for 2 months. No such luck.

The view is great! We had the top unit on the top of the hill overlooking White Bay. The driveway is VERY steep, as are all the roads. If you are physically challenged at all or not in excellent condition, you WILL need to rent a car or take expensive taxis all week. I always rent a Jeep and it is worth the money to me to be able to come and go as I please and not wait on taxis. But, to each his own...

Greg, the owner, also owns a taxi business, conveniently. His wife, Hilda, cooks breakfast and lunch in the office/lobby/gift shop. Neither were particularly friendly, and Hilda comes across as being pushy and unpleasant. The prior guests that rave about how great Greg and Hilda are I suspect were also utilizing their taxi service and buying food out of the office. We prefer to be self sufficient and drive ourselves and do some cooking, so they weren't getting the extra $$$ from us, thus, perhaps the attitude. It was rather uncomfortable and we decided since we had to pack up all of our stuff and groceries and move to another unit, we might as well look into other places. We found something similar and was given an off season rate so we checked out 3 days early and moved and saved a bit of $$$.

The accommodations are ok. A king size bed with a decent room size a/c unit to run while sleeping. Very small kitchen with limited utensils and cookware, but functional. Full size frig, coffee maker, microwave, compact gas burners/oven. Not great for $220 a night, but that is actually the going rate on JVD. It is what it is. One thing that was annoying was that Hilda requested that we plug in a long run of colored light bulbs from dusk to dawn to light the driveway and property. Not a big deal but some of the bulbs light up our balcony so I unscrewed a few bulbs. She also requested that we open and close the large gate when entering and exiting the driveway to keep the goats in. Again, not a big deal, but it is a very steep drive and really a pain to have to crawl in and out of the Jeep on such an incline to open and close a large gate. Ironically, when THEY came and went, they left the gate open. Greg had indicated in an earlier email that we could do some laundry onsite, but Hilda didn't sound too receptive when we asked. Spent $20 washing clothes instead at the laundry in Great Harbour.

The power was out one day and I noticed that Greg was running the Guest units on generator power. That is a nice touch. All in all, not a bad experience, but we feel that perhaps guests that use their additional services get better treatment. For that kind of money, I would prefer a bit better experience, as I have at similar type accommodations in the Caribbean.

2  Thank BigDaddyPoly
Reviewed 6 February 2014

Spent a week vacationing around the BVI and spent two nights on JVD. I had been here before on day trips, and this was my first overnight trip. The PP was the highest rated place on the island, so was happy to get a room as I had tried other places on the island and they were booked. We had a two bedroom, one of which was locked up. There was a kitchenette that we didn't use (but God Bless the previous guests who left 18 frosty beers behind in the fridge!) We had cable TV, a comfy bed, a very effective AC in the bedroom, and an adequate bathroom with limited hot water (and with some bugs, but hey--its the tropics). All in all, I enjoyed the stay but a few things:

-- When I booked, I was told to just call when the ferry drops us off and Greg would come get us, however when I called she told me he was out and didn't know when he'd be back and we'd have to find our own way there. Not a huge deal, but there were no cabs at the ferry dock, so we had to walk with all our luggage through the sand to find a cab (ask someone at Corsairs or another bar/restaurant to call someone). Everyone on here commented how great Greg and Hilda were, but other than that we never interacted with them so can't really comment one way or the other.
-- I don't know if it was anomaly or what, but after we unpacked and walked down to White Bay to get dinner at 8:30 on a Saturday, EVERYTHING was closed. Literally nothing was open--lights off, doors locked, nowhere to eat or drink. We called the places in Great Harbour and they said the same (though were open for drinks). The next night we hung at a bar that was open later, but apparently most restaurants on the island close early so keep that in mind if you are one of those people used to being able to eat a little later in the evening. (This is where having those 18 beers left behind came in very, very handy)
-- Perhaps I shouldn't advertise this, but they generally don't lock the cottages, and don't give you a key when you check in. We thought this was odd at first, but we came and went all weekend and everything was fine. Low crime on the island apparently.
-- I really wanted to stay on the beach but everything was booked, so we ended up booking here. I was worried it was going to be too far from the water but it really is very, very close to the beach. We weren't on the upper hill so we didn't have a water view, but it was only a 90 second walk to the Soggy Dollar and the beautiful, amazing White Bay. Location was great.
-- Have breakfast in the office/store/cafe. Delicious.
-- White Bay is about the most beautiful strip of beach ever and is so, so worth the trip. It's busy during the day with day-trippers, but being there in the evening as the sun goes down and the crowd thins out is awesome.

Is it 5 star? Absolutely not, but it gets the job done in a beautiful place. Would I stay here again? Yeah, but would probably look at one of the other beachfront places first on our next trip to JVD.

Room Tip: I didn't miss not having a view so don't stress if you don't get up on the top of the hi...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Beth B
Reviewed 22 January 2014

Our second stay at the Perfect Pineapple was even better than the first !!! If you are planning to stay on the island, whether for a night or for a week, you should check this place out.

There are 3 "buildings" ... 2 of which are stand-alone units. The other is 3 levels --- one unit on the first level, 2 on the second and 1 on the top level (which is a 2 bedroom suite). The top unit is new and is very nice. The other 3 units are one-bedroom "efficiency" apartments (best way I can describe it).

On levels 2 and 3, there is a balcony with a great view of White Bay --- only about 50 yards away.

Greg and Hilda are awesome people. Greg has his own cab and is always ready to take you anywhere you want to go. He may, at first, seem a little quiet but if you want to learn a lot about the island, all you have to do is ask. He has a great story to tell !!!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
St. John Inn
St. John Inn
#2 of 4 in Cruz Bay
White Bay Villas & Seaside Cottages

Been to Perfect Pineapple Guest Houses? Share your experiences!