“The resort lacks on a lot of things !”

Memories Caribe Beach Resort
Ranked #5 of 12 Hotels in Cayo Coco
Montreal, Canada
“The resort lacks on a lot of things !”
Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

We'll we traveled with some friends this time and I've been to Cuba before lots of times ! This resort has some really bad food at the buffet and the a la carte restaurants are not up to par! I ate the garlic and chilli pasta at the Italian restaurant by the beach and I woke up in the middle of the night and vomited til 3 pm de next day ! Their was so much garlic in the dish it was ridiculous ! They have no skill making food over there! It's blend or it has way to much of garlic inside ! The beach was alright but very short spand of sand ! When I got there their wasn't even a curtain in the bathroom for the shower so all the water was going on the floor ! We left 3 pesos every morning on the bed for the lady making are rooms and the 2 first days the rooms were nice , after nothing ! The shows at night are pretty good ! We wanted to go horseback ridding and their were non horses and they will not have any for month they said ! And then we wanted to rent scooters and the scooter rental place on the resort and the guy said that all of his scooter (15) we're all broke ! Hahah so then after being declined everything so far we decided to go on the jet boat ! It was ok we had fun there ! Their is one discotheque on the resort but the music sucks! We went to the cave club and had a really good time ! Overall i will not be going back to this resort !

Stayed July 2014
4 Thank snatcher6
AlbertoManagerCaribe, Director General at Memories Caribe Beach Resort, responded to this review, 29 August 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your recent experience at Memories Caribe Beach Resort.

We are sorry to hear you did not like the food and apologise for any inconvenience you might have had regarding the services we offer.

It was a pleasure for us having you at our resort and we hope you will give us the opportunity to welcome you once again.

Director General I General manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (927)
  • Polish first
Beauharnois, Canada
Reviewed 1 August 2014

Having friends and family that visited this resort before helped us make our mind. We always have questions before booking a vacation only to have them answered on site. Our previous trip to Cuba was to Melia Las Dunas and we had such a blast that I was a bit on the defensive going to Memories Caribe. Was I wrong or what!

Lets make something clear right now: people bashing food in Cuba should go elsewhere, Cuba is Cuba. Food is what it is. Nothing more, nothing less.

We booked our trip leaving from Toronto. We stayed 11 days and travelled with Sunwing. Departed 30 minutes late because of another travel company but we arrived on time. Speedy driver... :) Nothing bad to say here.

Arriving at the airport in Cayo Coco, the checkin in the bus is a great thing. 20 minutes drive to the resort. Arriving at 10 pm, we expected to find the lobby empty but that wasn't the case. The ladies at the desk gave us directions to our room and the bellboy brougth our bags to our room. One note here, our "a la carte" were allready booked (resto and time). That I didn't like too much. We had to find the Sunwing lady the next day to change our time and date. That part wasn't fun, the time and day she was schedule to be there were not the reality. I had to do some juggling with the people at the resto to have my own day and hours.

Next, we specified that we wanted a king bed only to have two 3/4 beds! The door to the fridge, the AC and the toilet were broken. We reported this to the front desk and by the time we got back to our room after a dring, everything was repared. The next day we had our room with the king bed. For the room, nothing bad to say, clean and no bugs. Juliet was our cleaning lady. Everyday we had a different canva on our bed, lovebirds, boat, etc.

For the resto, the Cuban, forget it. Food is ok, but service is so bad! we had the impression to intrude on them when we arrived, a bit late, but the resto was empty. So what was the problem? For the International, the food was good, nothing spectacular, but good. The service also was good. We ate there twice. The Italian resto, WOW... what can you say about eating on the beach with a sunset. Again, food was good as was service. The buffet, it is a buffet! You only need a bit of imagination to make a different plate each night you eat there. Food was ok. Wine was Cuban red, which was not so bad.

For the snack bar and bars, the snack bar is open 24 hrs with some foods, pizza, burgers and fries (only during daytime). The drinks are good, the service is good. The only thing is, around 8:30 or 9:00 pm, no more glass, just plastic cup. Drinking wine or a spanish coffee in a plastic cup is not great. We were told that there were no more clean glasses!!! 24 hrs bar with no more clean glasses, bad planning! As for the piano bar, AC, real glasses, super good drinks and good service. Open from 7 am to 11 pm or so. There is a wine room that you can go to for 10 pesos and you can taste all the wine you want, Didn't try it. The bar at the pool, take a number and a some gravol... aouch, pretty heavy stuff in your drinks... lolll The bar at the beach, Jorge is the best, Fast, fund and cool guy, Drinks are good. Service is great. Pizza shack and sandwich and burger are good. Great pizza as are the sandwich (porc and chicken). Burgers are some time not fully cooked, but just ask Carbo (GuyGuyGuy) to put it back on the grill and he will have it cook some more, and all that with a dance... lolll this guy is great.

The beach, one word: WOW just great. Clean and long white sand beach. Clear water, some fish, barracudas and rays, but nothing to have a bad experience. Just great memories. Here the only thing, maybe a bit more chairs and some more palapas would be needed. A good bunch of chairs need to be change (broken).

The nautical center, pedal boats, cayaks, catamarans. Ask Noel to bring you to the diving spot, he will park the catamaran near a reef with all the fish you can see for 20 pesos/adult. This guy is the best catamaran driver I've seen. Get up early if you want a chair, 6:45 was our time and some days, we had chairs in the third roe at the far end of the beach. And bring some moskitos cream (espacialy in the morning).

The site need a bit more lights at night, maybe more clear numbering on the bungalows, and more clear instructions to the beach, pool etc.

All in all, a good resort, clean, well placed, a great beach, good service and great quality/price. I would recommand this resort and would go back too.

Room Tip: Bungalow 21 or 22 are near the pool, but we had 17 and we found that we were well placed for everyth...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
13 Thank Steflac
AlbertoManagerCaribe, Director General at Memories Caribe Beach Resort, responded to this review, 28 August 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your recent experience at Memories Caribe Beach Resort. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your time with us.

Thank you also for taking the time to give us detailed feedback. We appreciate both positive and negative comments - we constantly strive to improve our performance and deliver a quality product to ensure that our customers enjoy the most rewarding holiday experience possible.

Milton, Canada
Reviewed 1 August 2014

Stayed at Memories for 2 weeks with my husband. Had an unforgettable time! The staff is very friendly and professional and the food is pretty good too. Every afternoon we had a delicious lunch by the beach (Diamond Package). I would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Cindy R
AlbertoManagerCaribe, General Manager at Memories Caribe Beach Resort, responded to this review, 2 August 2014
Dear Cindy R,

It is a pleasure to know that you had a very nice experience at our resort. Thanks a lot for posting your opinion about your holidays in our hotel. Your opinion is very important for us since it is the way we have to know what are clients are thinking about. All comments are always taken into account and we are pleased to receive them all. Thanks a lot for having chosen us.
General Manager Hotel Memories Caribe
Kitchener, Canada
Reviewed 31 July 2014

I've booked a trip to Memories July 16-23. This is my second time there and I brought with me my girlfriend and her son. As before I have great time and my girlfriend couldn't be happier to be at Memories Caribu. The food is better than last time I was there (November 2013), the people wonderful, Johanna always smiling at the dinning room, Yaimara before working at the dinning room, now snack bar, and of course Horhe at the beach bar. I cannot omit the maid who took care of our floor in the nr 21 building. Someone wrote in the review that the manager just walk and not talk to the tourists. I happened to see him always ready to talk if approached, smiling and professional. And I can't forget about Ernesto, dinning room supervisor, had his eyes on everything and was quick helping the waitresses cleaning up the table to make room for another people. Of course Elvis was always by our table at the dinning room, smiling and very skilled. Overall I would give this resort "5" stars because this place deserved it. The beach is stunning and the sun is there and the people are so friendly and the food is great, what else a person need? Pool clean, eh if I can go back tomorrow I would. And be back...

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
5 Thank eva181747
Dear eva181747,

It’s a pleasure to receive your opinion about your stay in our hotel. It is nice to know that you enjoyed it. We are pleased to receive your polite comments. Thanks a lot for having chosen our resort.
We hope to see you soon over this paradise; at Memories Caribe we are trying to improve every day and keep customer happy and willing to come back.
We will congratulate the workers you mention in your comment. We will wait for your return and you’ll have a warm welcome.

General Manager Hotel Memories Caribe
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 30 July 2014

Hi everyone! Just got back from the worst vaca I've ever had. I'd like to say that i am not picky, knew where i was going and have been in Cuba before. I've been to the DR, Jamaica, Aruba, Mexico, etc but this is the worst place ever. the beach is next to none for my 3 and 7 year old but everything else is extremely disappointing. the food was definitely recycled, service was bad and next to none( except when they knew we were leaving and started asking for stuff. we actually brought clothes there to leave behind. the mosquitoes was killer! they never spayed until we complained way after dark. my son looked like mike Tyson after the Holyfeild fight but it was not enough for them to care. they lie constantly and really don't give a care about anything really. the 5 big grown man watched me struggle with the 4 seater paddle boat while they sat under their hut. i had my 3 year old with me. my routine was have breakfast, beach till 3-4 and have dinner as soon as the doors open and quickly run to my room before dark before the mosquitoes bite. everything was a problem there but no one wants to do anything about it, dragging their feet. the only good thing was the beach ,the snackbar and bar at the beach.we survived on pizza. those guys are wonderful. 7 days there and only changed my towels once. don't bother going to the a la carts because you'll just end up in the buffet. i never went on vacation before and wished for time to fly by to get out of there! i need a vaca from this vacation. pilar beach was a bust because tide was high from 10-3pm. the beach bar there ignored me while he was on his cell scrolling away. broken glass on the floor i had to kick under the chair so no kids step on it. can't move table together for group. so many problems with no one to remedy the situation. i was with my 2 children but still they have no respect and still made advances and cat noises as i pass by. never again will i find myself in cayo coco memories caribe in my lifetime. bring bug spray because i went through 3 cans. bring low..er expectation if you already booked. good luck. hope you have a better time than we did:)

Room Tip: ask for room with good AC. mine was on the fritz
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank czechnese
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your experience at Memories Caribe Beach Resort. We are sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your time with us.

In response to the issues you raise, we would like to clarify some points. First, food is not recycled and a variety of fresh food is served every day. We are sorry if the service you received was not up to your satisfaction – we are proud of the service our employees offer and, as other reviews indicate, most clients are satisfied with it. Finally, regarding mosquitoes, grounds are fumigated twice every day, at sunrise and at sunset.

We always try to provide a pleasant experience to our clients so, on behalf of everyone at Memories Caribe, we apologise for any inconvenience you had.

Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 30 July 2014

We just came back from Memories Caribe Beach Resort. Family of 4 with a 17 year old and 20 year old. We were there for 15 days and had a wonderful time. Everyone all Staff was super. The entertainment staff is out of this world, they really work very hard to keep the guest entertained. Special thanks to Daya, who always kept us busy. I have to say the Cubans are so kind and work very hard to make everyone feel welcomed and for people who work very very long hours from morning to night, they always great you with a smile and are always cheerful. Food was very good from the buffet, restaurants, that great pizza on the beach and the snack bar. Eneresto the manager, I tell you is always there, would see him at 7 in the morning till 11 at night always pleasant and cheerful, does a great job in managing the service of the buffet Piano bar wonderful....rooms are clean. I have to say a great thank you to the staff in the buffet area.Micheal and Genni thank you for your service. and of course my favorite chef was the stir fry grill!!! My kids had a great time and we will definitely be back again next year. Thank you to all you wonderful people, you made our family vacations a most pleasant one. One other thing, the dancers are exceptional you will truly enjoy their show every night.

Room Tip: We were in block 18 and perfect location to get to the beach and pool.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Eva F
AlbertoManagerCaribe, Director General at Memories Caribe Beach Resort, responded to this review, 31 July 2014
Dear Eva,

Thank you for sharing your recent experience at Memories Caribe Beach Resort. We are glad to know that you had a wonderful time here – such positive comments are very encouraging for all of us.

We are pleased to hear our staff made your stay special and we will congratulate them on their excellent work.

It was a pleasure for us having you at our resort and we look forward to welcoming you again soon!

pensacola
Reviewed 30 July 2014

If you want to realax and spend a time of your life... you got to be here!

Our room was quiet and always clean. When we made a mess (loosing our key-card, locking the safe by accident or even poured out some red wine on the bad...) the service was always kind and very helpfull.
At the beach there in a well equiped place that you can get a wind surf, kayaks...
At the evening there are attractions like concerts and shows...

highly recomended.
m.

Room Tip: choose a room near the swiming pool:)
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank mr_yoda
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your recent experience at Memories Caribe Beach Resort. We are pleased to hear that you had a wonderful time here – such positive comments are very encouraging for all of us.