“Family Getaway”

Memories Flamenco Beach Resort
Ranked #4 of 12 Hotels in Cayo Coco
“Family Getaway”
Reviewed 16 June 2014

My partner and I travelled with my mom (Senior), sister cousin and niece and nephews aged 9-11 via Sunwing from Toronto on June 5-12.
Check In was pretty fast. Rooms were alwasy clean and fresh. Nice Towel art left each day. Buffet was good. The A la cartes were great. The beach, despite my reservations was amazing. The water is crystal clear, warm and inviting.
We opted for the bus trip to pillar beach. It was very breath taking indeed however, I prefered our beach at the resort. Entertainment crew were fantastic.
Hotel employees are fantastic. Special thanks to Yulio, Arturo. They are always smiling and always strife to give you above and beyond service. No matter whether you tip or not.

We enjoyed our trip very much. I would not return here again as I do believe in different experiences adds spice to one's life, however I would recommend it.

Thank you to all the staff at Memories Flamenco who made our stay great!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank travelingalotlately
Memories_Flamenco, General Manager at Memories Flamenco Beach Resort, responded to this review, 17 June 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you for having chosen Memories Beach Resorts and for selecting Memories Flamenco, our newest property in Cayo Coco for your holiday.

Thank you for your comments and for taking a chance on us. We are so happy to hear you had such a nice time here with all of our staff.

We are so sad to hear though that you don't travel twice to the same place, as you like to meet new places. Anyway we will be so happy to see you if you ever decide to come back to this your second home.

Director General I General manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,959)
  • Polish first
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 14 June 2014

My boyfriend and I just came back from our two-week stay at the Memories Flamenco beach resort (May 29th-June 12th). We went to Holguin a couple of years ago, and have been to Varadero and Santa Lucia as well. By far, this is one of the best hotels that we have visited (only second to Sol Luna Y Mares in Holguin).

CHECK-IN: As many have said, the arrival and check-in was great. We flew with Sunwing and the flight was on time. We had somewhat comfortable chairs and even a glass of champagne. We landed at around 10PM and took the 20-minute bus ride to the hotel. On the bus we were given an envelope with a map of the resort, our dates and times for the a la cartes (only scheduled for one out of the two weeks) and our two room keys. At the hotel we were greeted with some cool drinks and staff who assured us that the bags would be brought to our room promptly, and went straight away to the buffet to grab something to eat (the airplane pizza was bad).

BUFFET: The buffet area is huge. It has four stations (pizza, pasta, seafood and meat) where you can place your orders and have it made freshly in front of you, as well as the main buffet area which had a great selection of hot meals, salads, fruits and dessert. The amount of food as well as the choice was overwhelming. I know that people say that "it's Cuba so don't expect much", but I have to say that we ate extremely well (we both gained weight!). Everyday there was a different selection of food. I must point out that the head chef was born in Italy and has more than thirty years of experience so we were in good hands.

A LA CARTES: We went to the three a la cartes that were offered to us. My favourite was the Mediterranean--I had the seafood stew (not really a "stew" per se) with shrimp, calamari and lobster served in sauce over rice and my boyfriend had the veal which was not really veal but a huge chunk of steak--he really liked it. The Creole was also relatively good where we had the garlic fish. The Asian was not one that I liked--at all. The sushi was stuffed with mayonaise, the fried vegetables were oily and heavy and tasted like nothing, and I ordered the "wok vegetables" which resembled freid pickles--not appetizing. My boyfriend had the chicken and was happy with that. The decor was absolutely gorgeous, but the food left a bitter taste in my mouth--sorry to say that. We did not book any a la cartes for our second week as we concluded that the buffet had everything that we needed.

SNACK BAR: We ate only a couple of times at the snack bar. The poutine was pretty good, and the pizzas were great. I don't eat meat (I should've pointed that out before) so I didn't try the hamburgers, although my boyfriend said they were good.

BARS: Our favourite bar to stay at was the one in the lobby. We spent nights after the show there. We loved the barmen--especially the night staff who kept us laughing and entertained. We did tip, and we gave some of our clothes, but the service and the laughs that we shared was worth more than that. The bar at the beach was good too, although the drinks were usually really strong. As for the snack bar, we never had any drinks from there so I have nothing to say.

ROOMS: I wrote an email to the hotel staff in order to ask to have a room in building three or four. I read on here that the first two were too close to the noise whereas the last ones were too far. Finally we were placed in building four on the second floor--great! It was a two-minute walk to the buffet and a bit more to the beach. We had a king-sized bed which was slightly hard to sleep on, but OK. We asked for extra pillows and received them. The room was pretty big and the balcony was huge. We noticed that sometimes the towels had a funky smell or had a hole or a stain...we simply asked to change them--no problem. There were no bed bugs or any kind of insects/rodents in the room during our two-week stay. The A/C worked perfectly and all in all the room was good.

THE BEACH: Ah, the beach. I read reviews about the coral on this site so I went out and bought some water shoes for myself and my boyfriend. We never used them unless we went snorkeling. There is a dock that allows you to get into the water, no problem.One day we took a 45-minute walk away from the resort--towards a big "rock" (away from the Diamond club side) and discovered a private little beach--there was no one there at all so we spent half a day there. Towards the other side of the beach, past the Diamond club, we found a great snorkeling spot and found four big star fish in one shot. The walks were worth it since no one was around and there was no coral at all. The water was beautiful throughout our two-week stay.

POOL: Clean and a good temperature. We stayed in the "upper" pool because it was deeper. The pool bar was in the lower level but we just took the stairs to get to the bar. One thing that I was disappointed in is that the pools were not lit up at night time as advertised by the hotel. It's a minor detail obviously but it would've been nice.

Overall, we had a great stay. The staff was incredible. The entertainment people (Landy, Franklin, Louis and Amal were amazing) always had something going on--competitions, beach volleyball, water polo, dancing lessons, etc. The cleaning staff worked well and always left cute and creative towel art for us. The gardeners, waiters, reception and Sunwing staff also worked with their heart. I've never left a resort before with the feeling that I would miss the people--I can sincerely say that this is a first.

If you're considering this hotel, I highly suggest it. We didn't pay the Diamond Club upgrade and after having met many people who have, it seems that it's really not worth it. Bring clothes to give to the staff--they will always remember you for it. Go there with an open heart and an open mind and enjoy.

Room Tip: Buildings 7 and 8 are quite a walk but close to the gym and spa as well as the tennis/basketball cou...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
9 Thank Natalia M
Memories_Flamenco, General Manager at Memories Flamenco Beach Resort, responded to this review, 16 June 2014
Dear Natalia,

Thank you for having chosen Memories Beach Resorts and for selecting Memories Flamenco, our newest property in Cayo Coco for your vacations.

Wow, thank you for your wonderful review! We feel it describes very well our cherished hotel! We are always pleased to receive positive feedback from our valued customers and we feel that it is important on those occasions that a staff member knows that fine effort is appreciated.

Thank you once again for your wonderful review; we sure hope to have the chance to welcome you once again at Memories Flamenco Beach Resort, your home in the sun!

Glencoe, Canada
Reviewed 13 June 2014 via mobile

From the first drop off at the front door I could tell this was going to be a great week. The front entrance was beautiful as was the staff greetings at the front desk. The amenities in the lobby bar were second to none as well as the staff. The room we were put up in again beautifully done up and refreshingly cold. The buffet, ala carte restaurants, and the snack bar excellent. Aris & Madill @ the pool bar very friendly. The entertainment superb. This may be the only resort were I actually ate in the presence of the owner and general manager and they interacted with their clientele. Hats off to Jesus, Fabio, and Bernard; you run a great resort and from what I saw the employee's are quite happy and very entertaining. I would be back at the drop of my hat.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank celticbhouy
Dear guest,

Thank you for your trust in our company Memories beach resorts and thank you for having chosen our resort in Cayo Coco, Memories Flamenco.

Thank you for your comments and for taking a chance on us. It is so nice to hear that you had such a nice time here with us, your new family and that you enjoyed your holiday.

We sincerely hope to welcome you once again at Memories Flamenco Beach Resort, your home in the sun!

Mississauga, Canada
Reviewed 13 June 2014

My brother and I booked a last minute deal to celebrate his promotion. We arrived in Cuba around 6:45pm on the bus and to the hotel in about twenty min's in all, no lie. Once were we there we were checked into our room, unpack and back to the theater in time to see the Micheal Jackson show.
(Most of the reviews raved about this show, so I was really glad to make it this time in Cuba. But the reality of the matter is they were all equally good, its just management spent more money on Micheal Jackson's stage show. )
Whether was hot the next day, took me awhile to adjust.
I have to say I've been to Cuba three times, and to a Memories resort four times. This place had the nicest gardens and manicured grounds of them all.I wish I had been travelling with my girlfriend instead.
I recommend going to the orientation in the mornings. I always learn something new and its a great way to meet some new people.
I heard one person complain about the service but after talking with her I could understand why.
I had great service from everyone. The manager Jeases even took a few moments from his family at dinner to to accept a short story and my praise. Everyone from A-Z was pleasant and now they greet you with their fist on their heart to show that's its from the heart.
The entertainers by the pool are the same ones performing your shows at night, so huge respect from this guy.I had a blast with Frankie whom got me up and moving, we seamed to get along and traded gifts before we left Cuba.
The food is typical Cuban fare how ever lots of choice. I always like the seafood that they prepare so I'm good when all is well with my stomach. If I'm not feeling the best or am hungover I try to stay with the meats, a little over done but better then the alternative .
The things that I love from their menu drinkable yogurt,cream caramel squires, egg & bacon were cooked well here,Bread & seafood to die for, and if you are early to dinner they have a roast beef in an gravy kind of a sauce that's great.
Of the a-la-carte restaurants it's not fair to judge, the first two I wasn't well but the Cuban one was scrumptious ( when we arrived our dinners were already booked for us and we were fine with their choice) When booking your dinners I recommend booking you day trips first so the times don't overlap.
We travelled in May an off season for them so some of the facilities were closed. That didn't bother me until it effected the swim-up bar.( closed at 5) But this also meant no line ups and more attention from the staff.

Overall a great trip and I woulds recommend this location!

Room Tip: I find there is good and bad with any unit but I found it very Quiet at the back of unit 5, not much...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
6 Thank Joseph L
Dear Joseph,

Thank you for having chosen Memories Beach Resorts and for selecting Memories Flamenco, our newest property in Cayo Coco.

Thank you for your comments and for taking a chance on us. We are always pleased to receive positive feedback from our valued customers and we feel that it is important on those occasions that a staff member knows that fine effort is appreciated.

Thanks again. Our staff send you their personal thanks and hope that you will once again choose Memories Flamenco Beach Resort, the next time you are in Cayo Coco.

Canada
Reviewed 13 June 2014

Our fifth time to Cuba, 1st time to the Flamenco and overall we were very pleased. I always try to provide a fair and truthful account of our trips, and this time I will do the same.

We traveled with friends this trip, via Sunwing from Toronto. Outside of getting up at 4:30am, which I don't really like, the flight down was very good, and we arrived about 30 minutes early.
Bus ride to the resort was short and sweet (about 20 minutes), we were provided the keys to our room on the bus, the a la carts were booked, beer was served .. and our room was ready when we arrived at around 10:30am. Thoroughly impressed. I do suspect our rooms were ready due to it being low season, but still, not all resorts will do this.

We were greeted by management staff and music as we got off the bus, which was a nice gesture.

Rooms: I emailed the resort about a week before our arrival and had requested a "non ground floor" room, and received a reply within a day that they would try to accommodate my request. Apon arrival, my wife and I were pleasantly surprise that not only did we get a 3rd floor room, but we were upgraded to Ocean vew as well. Another welcome surprise :-) The rooms were very clean, our beach towels were in the room on arrival, so no running to towel hut run ... We were provided daily fresh towels, cleaned room, bottle of water, 2 beers and 2 pops daily. The only "opps" when we arrived was not bottle of water ion the room. This was quickly remedied by stopping at the front desk and making a request.

Front Desk: extremely polite and helpful. Always served with a smile.

Entertainment: I will have to state that the shows here were the best I have seen in Cuba to date. You could tell that the dancers have had some professional training. They had a live band on stage one night which was nice ( rather than recorded music). As has been said in a few of the reviews, the "Michael Jackson" show is the best of the shows ... I would guess my only suggestion here, due to my preference for "live" music, I would have liked to see the live band get to use the full stage and do a full 90 minute set.

Bar Service: Awesome awesome awesome ... did I say "awesome" ... From the beach bar, pool bar and lobby bar, fast friendly service. I do have to single out a couple people ... "Arys" at the pool bar did a great job of serving, as well as joining in on the fun with us and making our afternoons at the pool a lot of fun. "Ana", who brought our drinks at the lobby bar was also top notch. They both exemplify how service with a smile should be done ... Thank you both again for making our holiday memorable.

Food: Cuba is not known for food. Some may still whine about it, but this resort is the exception to that rule. Other resorts need to follow the example of the Flamenco. The executive chef was constantly around the buffet inspecting the trays to make sure there was food available, the fresh grill stations were available with various selections; breakfast omelets or pancakes in the morning, fresh meat, pasta for lunch and dinner and various specialties each night for dinner ( roast beef, roast chicken, fresh goose, pork loin etc) ... On some days there was a Lunch BBQ around the pool which served up roast pork, potatoes and/or seafood payalla. We only made it to one of the a la cartes, "Florencia", and we were impressed.

Beach: With all the good things above there had to be something missing. I will need to be honest, and not try to suger coat it. The beach was a disappointment. The beach is white sand, which is beautiful. The issue is, when you try and access the water. The first 10 feet of the water is coral/stone, which can hurt your feet as you get in. After 10 feet, it is soft white sand, and clear blue water. There is some paths through the coral, but it is very limited. It is actually worse on the "Diamond club" side. The resort has made some effort to address this, by providing a dock/boardwalk that traverses the water and bypasses the coral.

Out trip home: Management came out to the lobby to thank us and bid us farewell, a very nice touch. We boarded the bus to the airport and waved good bye to our new friends at Flamenco ...

Overall I would recommend this resort, with the caution that if you are a prestine beach person, this resort won't be for you. Everything else, is top notch for a Caribbean all inclusive.

Some small suggestions for Management:
1. Need better coffee at the buffet. ( I was getting the coffee at the lobby bar before I headed to breakfast, as the coffee was not very good at the buffet)
2. Give the "live band" a full stage show one night.

Room Tip: Building 1 & 2 are close to the Pool Building 4 & 5 are close to the Beach
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
6 Thank Snowdogg
Dear guest,

Your comments are important to us and we appreciate you taking the time to give us your impressions. It is through your comments that we are able to continue giving the best services, products, vacation and memories!! We would not be able to do it without your help!

We are aware of the issue of the beach. Fortunately we are going to have a machine that is going to help us make our beach more accessible. We will put some pictures on facebook so that all our guest can see the result.

Thanks also gor the suggestions of the coffe and the life band. We will work on it so that our customers enjoy the most rewarding holiday experience possible..

Thank you once again for your comments and we hope to welcome you again at Memories Flamenco Beach Resort, your home in the sun!

Toroto
Reviewed 12 June 2014

Good: This was our first time to Cuba and our short last minute stay was well worth the price. Rooms were spacious and tidy and any call to the front desk was attended to swiftly. Bar staff was fantastic and so were the drinks. The day trip to Moron was highlighted by a lunch stop where we were served a more traditional Cuban meal - something missing from the menu at the resort. The visitors were great company and overall, the staff were attentive and friendly.The buffet had its hits and misses - but no one was starving - we found things we liked and stuck with them. The beach was BEAUTIFUL and shallow and warm..I stayed in the water for hours.
The Bad: Unfortunately the nightlife wrapped up at 10 since the disco was closed. The sheets were stained. Much of the staff had difficulty speaking English and were understandably frustrated when we went off script. On the bus trip to Moron, the guide said ' When you see the people don't be afraid - you are not in Africa - they are just Black...' which is no fault of the resorts' of course - but just a heads up if you're a little sensitive - leave THAT at home - because there was a slave whipping re-enactment at the Sugar Mill .. the highlight being when the acting 'master' pointed out my husband and I to participate. Um - no beuno (but still laughing about it).
The Ugly: We don't go on vacation to eat so our expectations, I believe are reasonable. However, the roach invasion at the Japanese restaurant could have been avoided with more attention to detail. There was one crawling on my platter as it was served by the waitress. The Chicken on the grill in the buffet was under-cooked and this happened with different chefs on different days. Those two scenarios reflected a lack of experience and attention to detail and basic food prep rules. It appears the sushi may have been pre-made and set on the counter some time before our arrival.
For first timers - forget using your cell phone - buy a calling card at the resort and utilize the public phone and internet for communication. Bring your money with you and exchange it at the airport for convertible pesos. You will need $25 persos/pp for departure tax. If you run into difficulty there is an onsite bank that accepts VISA for cash advances...

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank AntoinetteRYYZ4EVER
Memories_Flamenco, General Manager at Memories Flamenco Beach Resort, responded to this review, 13 June 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review. They are very important to us in order to improve our standards and quality. We constantly strive to improve our performance and deliver a quality product to ensure that our customers enjoy the most rewarding holiday experience possible.

We are surprised about the roach invasion you mention as there is no evidence of it. We carry out a daily check-up of all food items and areas as well as we do daily hygiene controls of our restaurants as our clients´ health and safety is our top priority.

We are also sorry for the issue you had at the tour. We feel those words can be offensive; anyway as you mention, those are issues external to the hotel, and we consider that maybe you could have told the tour guide about it.

We would like to have the opportunity to see you again to welcome you personally and show you the reality of the Memories Flamenco beach resort.

Ontario
Reviewed 12 June 2014

Wow, where do I start……………..
The great experience started even before we booked when I sent an inquiry to the resort to make sure they could accommodate a guest with a soya allergy. Not only did they get back promptly but they continued to update us and alerted staff so she had no problems at all and they even tweaked things for her to make sure soya was not present. Thanks to Lisbet and Sissi for going the extra mile to make sure everything was good to go and Fabio and the food services staff for taking good care of her!

The birthday cake, kind note, wine and roses were a huge hit and made her birthday one she will not soon forget.

Room – we requested an ocean view balcony rooms with 2 adjoining and 1 close by and Lisbet made it happen. The rooms were spotless, decent size and in great shape and other than an air conditioner condensation drain problem in one the rooms were perfect. When we reported the AC water leak in the bathroom area they were on it within the hour. Unfortunately it started up again late at night and caused a mini flood which left the floor super slippery for the first person up…..woah was what l heard followed by something like &^%@. We just shut it down after that and cooled the 2 rooms with the one AC unit. I’m sure they would have came right back and fixed it again but the sun was calling us.

The beds turned out to be fantastic and we hit the hay about 3AM each night and were ready to roll by 8 the next morning fully rested. When we first tried them out we thought great, they are like boards but apparently we sleep really well on boards lol!

Pool – spotless, warm and lots of loungers available in the sun or in the shade.

Grounds-awesome is about the best description for the gardens and flowers. They do an amazing job given the terrain they have to work with. Always neat and tidy.

Food – the staff went out of their way to make sure my wife was looked after with her allergy. We all really enjoyed the food. We ate pretty much everything they had at one point or another and tried lots of new things we had never had before. Being our first time to Cuba we had heard horror stories about the food but I have to say, it was great. They may not always have everything due to shortages but they always came up with lots of variety. We ate at a la carte 3 nights and had the Diamond Club Lobster one night and the buffet the rest.

Beach- the sea was like a sparkling bath tub. Snorkeling from shore rewards you with lots of things to see. Fish of all sorts, crabs, coral and things I could not identify. I had read you need water shoes to go in and out of the water but we found it no problem at all without them. You could pick any area to grab a cot and catch some sun or a spot in the shade – lots of room for everyone.

We stopped over at the watersports shack and grabbed a paddle boat for a little cruise. They had allot of other things to do but we never made it back over.
The beach bar staff at both the diamond club and boardwalk were awesome. The tequila was great especially after a 3 hour hike along the beach in the midday sun– did not think that one through I have to admit but it was nothing a quick Cristal chaser could not fix up! I hiked out to Lennys twice and down to the resorts the other way taking in all the sites. The beach was not as wide as we have at home or our favourite spot in Playa del Carmen but it was still awesome. It was not as busy and you did not have the constant drone of boats and sales guys pestering you all day – it was so relaxing.

Staff- There were so many amazing people at the Flamenco it is impossible to name them all but they all had one thing in common, their offer of friendship. They treated us like family.
Above all of the other amazing things Memories Flamenco offers, the staff is the heart and soul of the resort. From a friendly handshake, a good laugh, to the heartfelt handshake and thank you for staying when we left you cannot help but feel welcome.

Jesus and the family of Memories Flamenco set the standard for how it is done.

Real test – will we be back………………………YES and we are already counting down the days until we are back – August here we come.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank SWO
Dear guest,

Thanks also for having taken the time to write a review! We are always pleased to receive positive feedback from our valued customers and we feel that it is important on those occasions that a staff member knows that fine effort is appreciated

We are looking forward to seeing you in August at this, your home in the sun!