“great Cuba”

Memories Flamenco Beach Resort
Ranked #4 of 12 Hotels in Cayo Coco
“great Cuba”
Reviewed 18 July 2014

spent a week at Memories Flamenco in Oct 2013 and had a great time, staff were very friendly and ready to please. can't wait to go back , bar pool staff are amazing, the Buffet was very clean and the options were plenty.

Room Tip: ask for a ocean view room on third floor
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Micheee926
Memories_Flamenco, Director General at Memories Flamenco Beach Resort, responded to this review, 19 July 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you for having chosen Memories Beach Resorts and for selecting Memories Flamenco, our newest property in Cayo Coco.

Thank you for your comments and for taking a chance on us.We are happy and proud to hear that you had such a nice time here and that you enjoyed your holiday.

We sincerely hope to welcome you once again at Memories Flamenco Beach Resort, your home in the sun!

Director General I General manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,978)
  • Polish first
Ontario
Reviewed 18 July 2014

we stayed July 7 to the 14th in room 3103.
great location in resort.
Everyone has different likes and dislikes and I have learned what is good of one is not good for another
It is low time so things are being done to make resort better.
They are removing rock on the beach so people can access the water easier thou i was more than happy accessing it from docks and looking at fish under it. I believe the docks will remain just cleaning up rocks to the right.
Diamond Club I enjoyed once the hang of it.
Diamond club dinner in alacart was top of the line anywhere I have been.
Lobster tail with roast beef in a gravy sauce on top of mashed potatoes.
Some complained not enough on plate thou i was more than happy with it.
Not a huge resort by any means and fairly easy to get around but not tiny in my eyes.
We do not normally stay up to watch shows because all the fresh air we rarely make it thou we watched a few. Retro night with live band was great ... to me I love rock and some may have found too loud but to each their own. I could have listened to them for hours.
Would I go back? I am already trying to find ways to back lol

2 Thank KodiakOntario
Dear guest,

Your comments are important to us and we appreciate you taking the time to give us your impressions. Thank you so much once again for sharing your experience.

Toronto
Reviewed 17 July 2014

Let me start by saying that I will try to be as objective as possible in my review. I read many reviews and comments before I picked this resort and this chain. We have been to many destinations before, and have been only once to Cuba - 15 years ago for our Honeymoon in Varadero.
I was a bit cautious to book a Cuba trip as many people are not too happy with the food, and I wasn't sure what to expect. Dominican Republic and Jamaica are great in that sense... Well, let me tell you that my 7-day experience erased all my doubts and exceeded my expectations!
Memories chain is owned by Sunwing, so that was a bit reassuring, so I thought the standards would be maintained.
This resort is amazing in many aspects:
1. The food at the Buffet is great: they have all types of food - beef, pork, fish, seafood, fresh salads, vegetables - fresh, grilled, fried, fruits, cold cuts, cheese selection... You name it! I cannot imagine anyone staying hungry there... The Master Chef Fabio approached us on our first day at the buffet to greet us and told us, "If you need anything for the little girl for me to make, just let me know!"
I was blown away! The word WOW was coming out of my mouth a lot more than I expected!
Fabio likes people to eat and like his food, and if you have any comments and/or suggestions or special requests, he will do it for you! They want you to be happy!
My son is allergic to sesame seeds and tree-nuts. We told Fabio about it, and the day they had Asian food, they told us that my son cannot eat many of the meals there. Fabio made a special Steak and potato meal for my son - double A La Carte!
There is always live music entertainment for Dinner there, and our Chef Fabio even sings there sometimes :))
The Manager of the Restaurant - Leonel - is an amazing man. Him and his staff flip backwards for everyone to make their stay enjoyable! Special THANK YOU to him and his staff for an amazing service. Special THANK YOU to Yusdaylis, Noisbel, Alejandro for remembering what we want from the second day before we open our mouth! :)
2. Lobster Dinner was amazing - again arranged by Leonel for us to enjoy. They set up such a beautiful table for us by the pool - very Romantic ambiance - and assigned 2 servers to us. Leonel came back 5 times to check on us and see if we need anything. We were overwhelmed by this kind of extra attention. They just want us to be happy and enjoy our time with them. There were mosquitoes between 7-9pm in the evening (make sure you take a strong bug repellent), and he came to spray the whole area with a Raid repellent!
We paid 18CUC per person for this, so this one is not free, but certainly worth it!
Special THANK YOU to our amazing servers and now friends Reinaldo Garcia and Pedro Luiz for making this an unforgettable experience!
3. Snack Bar - works 24 hours. If you missed breakfast or lunch, you can always find there fries, hot dog, pizza, sandwiches, burger, fried fish, chicken, ice cream, etc. Also, of course drinks, coffee, and soft drinks. Thanks to Leorge for being our amazing waiter at all times!
4. A la Carte Restaurants are nice - we tried them for experience. Very nice ambiance and great service!
5. Pool area - very nice, lots of chairs. They have 2 pools and 1 shallow pool - for babies. The pool upstairs - the main one - this is where you have daily entertainment, all kinds of contests and aqua classes - if you like to stay active and participate. It is also close to the snack bar. They also have a Grill place here where they make amazing pork and rice for Lunch time. The staff from the Snack bar walk around and ask for your orders, if you want a drink or so. You don't even have to leave your chair or pool - they will bring it to you! Just make sure you tip a lot, because they deserve it! The service in this resort is second to none: they have no word "NO" in their vocabulary! :)
The 2nd pool below - this one is a bit more shallow, has a swim up bar and a small water fall. It is a bit quieter there, if you want to read a book and lay low. You just have to walk up to the bar to get your drink :) The 3rd pool is closer to the Kids Club area - you can drop off the kids there for the afternoon, they have supervision and games, and at the same time be close to them. They weren't too busy this time of the year, so there weren't as many kids in the Club.
6. Beach: it is gorgeous and breathtaking, as everyone knows! We enjoyed Catamaran ride and Lunch on the beach served by Michael! The Seafood Paella and fish and pork he served are to die for! Mmmm!!! There was a line up for this, you have to go around 1 to ensure you get it!
And Alexey was my hubby's favourite barman! :)
Some people complained about the rocks on the beach. The Management heard the complaints, and they closed the west part of the beach and were cleaning up all the rocks from there. It will take several months, so by the time we go back in November they will be done. :)
For the rest of the beach - first couple of meters to go in - it will be rocky, so make sure you take water shoes for that. It is a bit inconvenient, but I wouldn't dramatize it so much. In the bigger scale of things of what you get and experience there, it didn't spoil our mood or day at all! Even my 8-yr old daughter could go in the water in her flip flops.
Make sure you go see the sunset on the beach! It is really breathtaking!!! Watch for people working on the resort to get a fresh coconut from the tree - they will cut it for you on the spot and it is delicious!
7. Entertainment - Nightly and Daily - was very good! Thanks to Nerri and Carlos for making it a great experience! Nightly shows were very nice and well orchestrated - there is whole crew working on it every day! Michael Jackson show and Romantic show were the best! My two thumbs up to the "Michael Jackson" dancer - you were amazing! I have a picture with him too! :)
8. Rooms: (almost forgot about it) - were very specious, clean. They clean and change towels every day. I skipped the service twice and only exchanged the towels, as there was nothing to clean. No bugs or any other insects in the room. Very well air-conditioned. We had Garden view, which was also very nice. We were in building 5. It is further from the pool area and Reception. I would prefer Building 4 as it is the most centrally located. We always had hot and cold water, no glitches. Pillows were big and nice, bed is King size, pretty comfortable. If there is anything you need, you can call the 800 number from your room that is like a center switchboard, and they answer all your questions and re-route the call to whoever you need to reach. It is very convenient.
The first day we got a call about quality of the service and whether we needed anything. WOW! The second day Nerri approached us by the pool asking if we need anything and if there is anything they can do to make our stay better! Really?!
The rooms are replenished with water, soft drinks and beer every day.
There is all kinds of toiletries in the room with Memories logo (which I didn't expect at all), so I brought all my own lotions, shampoo, etc. You are ok if you don't take anything of that sort. They even had Bath salt :)))
9. Front desk and Bar next to it are very nice, Like I said, the service there exceeds all expectations. As soon as you show up in front of them, you are served right away. Check in and all that was very-very smooth. They assign the rooms before they pick you up at the airport. So they hand you the Registration envelopes before you get on the bus and explain everything. We had 2 rooms, and they assigned them in 2 different buildings. I expected that may happen. The Sunwing rep who I booked with told me to ask them to change it and make the rooms closeby when I get to the destination point. We asked the bell-boy to hold the luggage and not deliver it to the rooms as we will be changing the number of the room. We requested the second room to be next to mine. They asked if we could wait for a couple of hours for it to be cleaned. We didn't mind, as long as it is where we want it to be. The room was ready in an hour. When David, Hospitality Manager saw my husband in pants (vs. shorts) in the Reception, he approached and asked if everything was Ok and if we were looked after. It seemed strange to him that we were in pants and at the Reception, and not in a bathing suit already and by the pool. We have never seen this kind of attention anywhere we have been!
10. Medical care is available 24-7. That is very important and I was able to experience myself. My daughter had an ear infection on the 6th day, so we went to see the doctor. She gave us antibiotics tablets and drops to numb the pain until we come back to Canada. We went to see our Doctor right away after we landed here. He told us to continue with antibiotics and gave us ear-drops as well. So they have a pretty decent care there. Btw, the healthcare there is free (unlike Dominican or Jamaica). The meds were free, we just paid 25 CUC for Consultation.

I must admit that I am a high-maintenance person, and not the easiest person to please. I usually complain a lot... I remembered some of the complaints people wrote here about the food, the rooms, the services, and am appalled at what they can pick on! Either they were in a different resort or unhappy people will be unhappy anywhere they go.
We just went with open mind and intended to make the best out of our Vacation! So you really choose your attitude, and the rest works as the Law of Attraction.

TIPS: Take lots of sunscreen, small change for tips and tip a lot. They don't get paid well there. These tips mean a lot to them and they really deserve it.
Don't bother to buy US dollars here. They accept Canadian dollars too. If you want to, buy Cuban Convertible Pesos. The rate at the Hotel is higher than at the airport. So either buy some Cuban pesos here or exchange at the airport. There are 2 types of pesos: local and convertible. The latter one is for tourists, and most of the things you will buy there you pay in CUC (Cuban Convertible). The employees get paid in local pesos: the rate is ~ $1=25 pesos. So imagine the difference and do the math. I was told that the average salary there is 400-500 local pesos per month... :(
Don't bother with Diamond Club, as everyone gets the same service and the same food.

The managers, and some of the staff come to say Good Buy on the day of Departure and shake hands one by one to everyone leaving - thanking you for coming and hoping to have you back!
Overall, it was an amazing experience for us, and we certainly intend to go back. It is now like our home away from home! I found a new favourite destination, and it is Memories Flamenco!
Special THANK YOU to Managers David and Leonel for training such great personnel and making our experience here unforgettable!

P.S. I put some pictures on FB, will try to put some here as well!

Room Tip: Buildings 1-3 are noisier and closer to the pools, reception and restaurants. Buildings 4-6 are furt...
16 Thank Gohar
Memories_Flamenco, Director General at Memories Flamenco Beach Resort, responded to this review, 21 July 2014
Dear Gohar,

Thank you for your trust in our company Memories beach resorts and thank you for choosing our resort in Cayo Coco, Memories Flamenco.

Wow what a wonderful review!! You've touched everything and we feel it describes very well our cherished hotel! We make sure to revise every department frequently to insure that we always give our customers the best service and offers they rightly deserve.
Thanks also for the positive feedback from and for remembering the names of lots of our staff , they will be so happy to hear from you and to know that fine effort is appreciated.

Thank you once again for your wonderful review; we sure hope to have the chance to welcome you once again at Memories Flamenco Beach Resort, your home in the sun!

Kind regards from your home away home,
Reviewed 15 July 2014

I've never been to a place like this.. Never outta canada until this amazing adventure happened. So many hopes and dreams came true that week it was amazing AMAZING. Can I come back now!!?!?? :) the people were very friendly and very helpful. Food was great! So many new things I've tried . Including snorkelling which I would LOVE to do again, it's truly amazing swimming with the fishies I've not see before while gliding through the warm crystal clear water. ReAlly hopin I will get to do all of the above again! Great First vacation!!! :)

• Stayed April 2014
5 Thank IslandgirlfromPEI
Dear guest,

Thank you for your comments and for taking a chance on us. It is so nice to hear that you had such a nice time here and that you enjoyed your holiday.

Reviewed 15 July 2014

In general, I love all inclusives and have visited over 10 of them - mostly in Punta Cana, but have also visited Cuba & Mexico over the years. The hotels I choose are usually 4.5 star on average. For budgetary reasons, this year, we chose Caya Coco. Our expectations were exceeded - especially for the price!

Here are the highlights from our trip - July 7, 2014 to July 14, 2014

--> Food / cuisine : We were weary about the food / cuisine because of previous experiences in Varadero and Santa Maria. We even brought of our spices!

To my surprise, they did a fantastic job! Based on low expectations, I was shocked and very pleased with the food / cuisine. My only comment is that the Asian a la carte restaurant, Shape Fen, could use some improvement on the cuisine. Other than that, their head Chef - Chef Fabio, is a huge asset to the resort. In my opinion, the quality of food was equal to the other all inclusives I've been to (outside of Cuba.) Needless to say, we didn't have to bust out our own spices! All of the eating areas were exceptionally clean too. This resort has completely changed my view on the taste and quality of food / cuisine in Cuba! Well done!

--> Service : The majority of their staff were extremely friendly and warm. Yes, they appreciate tips - but who doesn't?! I was happy to tip the staff as many of them are warm, hard working, professional and courteous. In fact, we rented an electrical transformer (they are at 220 V) and the electrician told me I gave him extra money - I really appreciated his honestly!

--> Management : Excellent!! In North America, I've been privy to experience customer service at various hotel chains i.e. Four Seasons, Hilton, Loews - Miami Beach, Taboo, Marriott etc. Again, without having a lot of expectation here, we found the management staff at Memories Flamenco outstanding! Everyday, the General Manager and her management team greeted the guests from the early morning buffet to after dinner. The General Manager and her team definitely set the tone and work ethic for the resort. Their hard work, visibility and constant presence on the resort contributed to the staff's professionalism and in making their guest's stay comfortable. The management team definitely earned our business and for that reason we would return.

- The room : We upgraded our room to an ocean view (#3301) - the view was great and we had a lot of privacy too. There were a few hiccups initially but everything was resolved in a timely manner. Their air conditioning was super strong, the shower drained well and the toilet flushed. These preceding essentials were met!

- The Beach: There was a row of coral on the beach prior to entering the water - ** please bring your Water Shoes! Once you pass the coral, the beach is Phenominal, Breath Taking, Beautiful..... You'll have to see it to believe it! It appears they are currently working on removing some of the coral in the beach area as they closed one of the sections off.

Overall, for under $1000 per person, we experienced the above vacation. To be honest, generally, I don't expect perfection in all inclusive resorts (especially with varying hotel standards from country to country.) To our surprise our holiday could not have been more relaxing, easy and memorable thanks to Memories Flamenco, their Management team and to their staff. Two other families / friends of ours will be booking their vacation tonight via Sunwing.

Well done & thanks again Memories Flamenco!

Jill & Joanna - Toronto, Canada

Room Tip: - it was worth the ocean view upgrade - building 3 - #3301
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
9 Thank Joanna155019
Dear Jill and Joanna,

We are so proud and happy to hear that you had a wonderful time here with us – we constantly strive to improve our performance and deliver a quality product to ensure that our customers enjoy the most rewarding holiday experience possible.

Thank you so much for your wonderful comments, and for taking the time to give us your impressions.

We hope to have the chance to welcome you once again to Memories Flamenco Beach Resort, your home in the sun!

Reviewed 15 July 2014

Memories Flamenco was hands down the most beautiful resort our family has stayed at in Cuba. The food was the best we've had in Cuba...this has always been our concern when travelling with our family. The Italian chef made sure the food was amazing. The shows, staff, grounds, bars were all great

Our only complaint would have been that we didn't bring our water shoes. It was a little uncomfortable walking over the coral but once past the beach was great. The kids loved the snorkelling.

We will definitely be returning

2 Thank Tsi09
Dear guest,

Thank you for your comments and for taking a chance on us. We are happy to know you had a wonderful time with us. We constantly strive to improve our performance and deliver a quality product to ensure that our customers enjoy the most rewarding holiday experience possible.

Reviewed 15 July 2014

Me and my girlfriend decided to go to Memories Flamenco a week before Christmas and we had a blast. The resort has the perfect balance of fun and relaxation that you can look for. The beach and pools were just fantastic. Just make sure you bring a lot of sunscreen! The food was also good take it from me! For the price, this vacation was extremely worth it. Will visit again forsure!

• Stayed December 2013
5 Thank JordanCanella
Dear Jordan,

Thank you for your trust in our company Memories beach resorts and thank you for having chosen our resort in Cayo Coco, Memories Flamenco.

Thank you for your comments and for taking a chance on us.It is so nice to hear that you and your girlfriend had such a nice time here with us and that you enjoyed your holiday.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Cayo Coco
#9 of 12 in Cayo Coco
Pullman Cayo Coco
Pullman Cayo Coco
#2 of 12 in Cayo Coco

Been to Memories Flamenco Beach Resort? Share your experiences!