“Back At sol Cayo Coco”
Review of Sol Cayo Coco

Sol Cayo Coco
Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Cayo Coco
Reviewed 24 April 2014

This was our 2nd stay at the Sol Cayo Coco.

Airport:

The resort is close to the airport, so if your flight arrives in the morning you get lots of beach time on your first day.

The Cayo Coco airport is painfully slow at processing departure traffic.
It seems like the computers are finicky and slow.
I don't know how the agents manage to keep their cool working with that equipment!
On the plus side, the volume of air traffic is low (pretty much just local resort charters).

Currency exchange:

The "tourist" currency is the Cuban Convertible Peso (CUC) , which is pegged 1:1 with the U.S. dollar.
At the resort, we could always purchase CUC Pesos.
The Canadian dollar was at about .90 US when we were there.
By the time we paid the extra fees, $20 Canadian would buy 16 pesos CUC.
You can't do any better at the banks or official currency exchanges.
If you have a few pesos left over when you leave, there will be lots of Cubans at the airport willing to trade even for Canadian dollars.
Rumors abound that Cuba will be moving to a single-currency system instead of the dual system now in place.
So it's probably a poor idea to return home with a bunch of CUC pesos for your next trip.
They might not be worth much next year.

We booked the catamaran excursion for 3 people, for 9 April, which cost $244.11 US ($274.73 CAD on Visa).
The trip was cancelled on the 9th, and again on the 10th, because of weather.
We were given a refund, but of course the effective exchange rates for buying and selling are not equal.
Our refund (on Visa) was $259.79.
I'm not complaining, just explaining that if you book an excursion on your credit card, and it gets cancelled, it's still going to cost you a few bucks.
Both of these transactions show up on my Visa bill dated 7 April (so the official exchange rate was not the issue).

Beach:

The beach is really nice.
Miles of sand, and not crowded (especially away from the resorts).
It's perfectly safe to walk for as long as you'd like.
The water is warm enough to stay in all day, and clear enough to see lots of fish if you like to snorkel.
But this is the windy side of the island, so calm days are rare.
There are 2 kinds of beach loungers (old solid plastic ones and newer "soft" loungers).
At the beach, the more comfortable ones were "reserved" by 7:30 am (though not occupied).
This was annoying.

Rooms:

The rooms we had were great (in the 2300 section).
The beds are firm, but not hard.
The view was spectacular.
The maid kept the room extremely clean.
Our A/C worked, but it was weak.
The room would cool down to about a bit overnight, but would be hot again after supper.
We had it set on 12 degrees, fan on high.
We complained to the front desk, but I suspect the maintenance man walked in, felt some cool air coming from the vent, and left.
We didn't have any follow-up from the front desk.
We decided we didn't want to press for a different room, as we were with a group in that area.
So we just slept on top of the sheets, and didn't use the room for much besides sleeping.
The other room used by our group had A/C that worked just fine.
You might want to check that the A/C is working well before you unpack and settle in.

Food:

We ate our meals at the buffet restaurant, and snacked at the pool bar.
The food was good.
Our only complaint was that the steam tables at the buffet worked fine some days, but not all days.
Some days the "hot" food was lukewarm at best, even though we got there early.
There is a microwave available if you want to re-heat your plate.

There is a pretty good selection (usually the same) at the central table.
There are several cook-to-order stations which are excellent.
The lines were not too long, even though the resort was pretty much full.
(We always got there early for our meals).

The bread, the ice-cream, and the cheeses were standouts.

The fresh fruit was great, but there was no citrus.

At the "smoothie" station they would make you a smoothie from your selection of fresh fruit.
But the available jug of "orange juice" was thin, watery, and tasted like sugar-water.

We didn't have any issue with "digestive" problems (a very good thing!).

Bottom line: We were very happy with the food.

Bars:

The service is great.
Everyone is cheerful and polite, and a peso tip seems to be appreciated.
The beer is pretty good, and the mixed drinks are excellent.
The bartenders don't measure the liquor, so be careful to ask for the strength that you want.
Nobody complained about "weak" drinks!

The bar entertainment varied from OK to very good.
One night at the pool bar we were treated to a performance by Ismael González Román.
I give special mention, because he was so good.

Bugs:

Other than some tiny ants in our room, we had no problem with bugs.
We never even saw a mosquito.
We didn't use any insect repellant for the entire week.
I expect that biting insects are a seasonal problem, so you may find some depending on when you go.

Overall:

A great spot for some quiet beach R&R.
Wonderful beach, excellent staff, good food and drinks.
Not a lot to do for other entertainment, if that's important to you.
Very good value for what we paid.

Room Tip: Make sure the A/C is blowing lots of cool air before settling in.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
13  Thank RetiredInNS
Luis Alberto H, General Manager at Sol Cayo Coco, responded to this reviewResponded 27 April 2014

Dear customer,

Very difficult to answer such a positive comment.
We are glad that you are rested and enjoy this little paradise.

Thank you very much for your time and detailed commentary, for sharing your experience with Tripadvisor travelers, all comments will help us improve.

If you want feel free to email, we will respond with the hospitality you deserve.

Best Regards,

managing director.

Reviewed 22 April 2014

This is my 2nd time in Cuba and I cannot wait to go again ! Love it there , the hospititality is amazing . My Fiance and I went recently and the weather was beautiful. I really have no complaints .The food was great and the staff were fantastic.We are going back next year to get married and we cant wait .Room was very clean and not a bug in site.Enjoyed going into the Cities to see how the lifestyle is so different than here in Canada. Really gives you allot to think about and makes you really appriciate what you have.Great People in a Beautiful Counrty ...Thank You Friends of Cuba for letting us enjoy your beauty and hospitality ...

Room Tip: We upgraded for a view of the water from the balcony on 4th floor . AS long as the room is clean and...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
6  Thank CaperGirl00

Dear customer,

We are glad that you are rested and enjoy this little paradise.
Thanks for sharing your experience with Tripadvisor travelers, all comments will help us improve.

We hope that if they decide to return to Cuba for the third with his girlfriend to visit us again, it will be a pleasure to serve.

Best Regards,

managing director

Reviewed 22 April 2014

This was our 4th trip to Cuba... and 2nd trip to Cayo Coco. We chose Sol Cayo Coco as it had a lot of positive reviews on Trip advisor and it really did not dissappoint!

We travelled as a group with family from BC, Quebec and Ontario. 2 kids (7&9), and 7 adults ranging in age from 28-72 years old. It was the first time my kids had been to cayo coco and my daughter insists when we go back to Cuba it has to be Cayo Coco. The first time we went to Cayo Coco was in 2010 at Tryp Cayo Coco for our 10 year anniversary and really enjoyed our time but wanted to try a different resort. Tryp is a sister hotel of Sol Cayo Coco and Sol Guillermo. Which means we can stay at one and use the amenities of the other 2 during the day. We actually walked along the beach from Sol to Tryp Cayo Coco one day to go there for thier pizza restaurant and to see the pink flamingo pond and just to show the kids where we went a few years ago without them LOL! The kids took a cart and buggy ride with Grampa who did not want to do the walk. Tryp is much bigger and has more to offer than Sol BUT honestly other than a water fitness class, there was NOTHING going on at Tryp on our visit... so after spending our day there and going back to Sol in the late afternoon.... upon our arrival the kids ran over to the pool and joined into the activities going on. I think this shows the difference in the people that go to these 2 hotels as well. Sol is very family oriented whereas Tryp is more for young adults who want to party into the evening! I think we made the right choice staying at Sol this time!

Location: Cayo Coco resorts are wonderful for their location... the airport was built for these resorts which means it is only a 15-20 minute transfer to your hotel! this was REALLY appreciated by my daughter who has recently begun suffering motion sickness.... so she was able to get the the Hotel without any gravol or an upset stomach!

Beaches: there are 2 beaches that are attached to Sol Cayo coco. one where the waves are a lot bigger and one that is much calmer. We enjoyed both, but did not get to do as much snorkelling as we normally like. During the winter is when the jelly fish are VERY abundant and after my son was stung... well he was just not very interested in snorkelling. :(

Hotel: as with every cuba resort, there are always repairs being needed or painting being done, but if you know any thing about tropical climates you realize that paint does not last in that humidity so it is completely understandable that they have to paint often... and i can tell you i saw maintenence people painting and repairing things constantly while we were there.

Rooms: we had 2 double/queen beds that were pushed up against each other and a sofa bed. Plenty of room for the 4 of us. The mini fridge worked well and was always refilled with water. If you want more than water you can pay a fee to have it filled with pop and beer. all we did was buy a bottle of pop and a couple cans of beer from the store for when we wanted it in the room. Pop and beer is cheap in the store... snacks, not so much. The rooms were clean and when we needed sheets changed we just took the dirty ones off and they changed them for us. not a problem. No towel art.... which disappointed the kids but not really a big deal to me. as long as my room is clean i am happy!! REMEMBER.... cuban resorts never have clocks in the room nor do they usually have face cloths so bring a travel clock with you and a face cloth with you as well.... if this will be important for you to have. Most people use their phones these days for time....but you wanna be careful travelling with your phone on when you are in Cuba! our first trip to Cuba My hubby's blackberry has a daily alarm set so even though he had turned off the phone and put it in the safe .... the alarm turned the cell phone on and with what got downloads/texts/emails...well that was a 40$ alarm mistake! be careful!!

Entertainment: I didn't get to see a lot of the night shows as I tend to be up and out of my room by 7am! My brother and step mom did see most of them. There was one night that they were doing some skits that they thought were hilarious and other nights were anetertained by the dances. A few of the nights they were in the dance club instead of at the big open air stage due to weather... so spaces were limited and it wasn't always clear where it was going to be that night so this might be something the resort management should work on. One night that i did stay up for the show, it ended up being a Miss Sol Cayo Coco competition.... which was funny but i would have preferred an actual show over this. The entertainment staff during the day REALLY did an outstanding job trying to get the guests involved. it is not easy getting people to get off their loungers but it was nice that most of the events were done at the pool area so you could pick and choose what you would like to participate in. My kids LOVED this. there was always something they could get involved in. My son splilt his time between the pool table, the mini competitions and the pool! kids had a wonderful time.... and I even got up for a merengue lesson!! Several other family memebers who usually do not participate in these activities were drawn in to the various activities due in large part to the encouragment of the staff! Several of the competitions were won by family members which was exciting.... the one thing that was differerent at this resort...which was really cheap/cheesy was you had to win i believe it was 7 competitions to get a bottle of rum. Really?! Come on! the rum is super cheap... Most resorts give it to every competition winner... it made the resort look chinzy when it came to this. Might want to reconsider this prize award system - management.

Kids Club: Kids enjoyed the kids club on the few occasions they decided to go. There were times they would go and the staff would bring them for a meal or bring them as special guests to the cuban party. The animators were friendly and welcoming to the kids which made them want to return.

Staff: as many have said in previous reviews, it is the staff that make this resort. they are so friendly, engaging and accomodating. they talk to you about their children and ask about yours. if you go back to the same servers at the bars most will remember your drinks if you tend to order the same thing. I believe in tipping, so maybe this helps.... but i don't think so. Most times my kids would go up without tip money and the staff still served them with the same smile as any other guest. i brought lots of stuff to give out to staff who i felt went above and beyond with their service.... good thing I brought so much as there were SO many people that really made our time there wonderful!! And they ALL appreciated it so much. One of the cooks (sorry i am AWFUL with names) that always made my son his pizza nightly...well he had a son as well, so my son gave him a baseball glove that he no longer used and a pair of cleats that we bought new but couldnt use in Ontario leagues... well the cook was so ecstatic and apparently his son was in tears when dad brought them home for him. It warms your heart to be able to give to these people who work so hard to make a living!

Food: ok so everyone complains about food in Cuba... but honestly we NEVER have issues! And even this time, we brought my 72 year old father-in-law who is pretty picky about food and can sometimes suffer from stomach issues. He found stuff he liked and stuck to it and did not have stomach issues even 1 time while in Cuba. The food was really good.... for buffet food. the food at the beach grill was so good! you have to try the ribs! Mmmmm! and the calamari was lovely as well!! Kids loved the ice cream and my son never went hungry at the snack bar! we of course brought condiments.... but really only heinz ketchup was needed....and my hubby was glad we had our Franks red hot sauce with us on a couple of occaions. THE Morning wouldn't be complete without our fruit smoothies and of course the cappucinos at the lobby bar!! And of course..... Cuba is known for thier killer Mojitos... and Sol did them justice! Yum! We brought insulated mugs to keep our drinks cold and save a couple trips to the bar and we gave them to the bar tenders when we left! which they appreciated!

Excursions: we only did the one excursion which was the catamaran cruise. Unfortunatley the weather did not completely co-operate and after we got out on to the open water he had a huge down pour which was not fun.... but the rain went away and the sun came out but the waves were pretty high so we were supposed to go to pilar beach after a couple of snorkelling stops but it was not safe so we spent more time on the water instead. they had a WONDERFUL meal on deck... half a lobster, chicken, pork, rice, beans! YUM! it was a fun excursion and would have been excellent if the weather had been more co-operative.

Weather: so every other year we have gone to Cuba it has always been in October HOT..... the last time we went before this trip was October 2012 and we got hit by Hurricane Sandy.... after that we decided to try a winter trip. when we first got to cayo coco there were staff that had jeans, wool/leather coats and knitted hats on. well it was pretty cold by Cuban standards but still about 16 C... we were still in shorts but at night i appreciated having a pair of jeans to wear with a small sweater. That being said... my aunt had been at this very same resort 3 weeks earlier and she was ROASTING! I think we just had an unseasonably cold half of a week... the second half of the week was MUCH warmer, thank goodness.... and considering it was -40C back home... should i really complain?! and at the time I thought I don't think I will go back in January again.... but let me tell you .... as cold and long as this winter has been, having it being broken up by this vacation in January...it was much appreciated. Will i go back to CUBA?? Definitely! will I return to Sol Cayo Coco... Good chance!!!

Room Tip: we sent an email ahead of time asking for a quieter room overlooking the mini-putt... which is exact...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
7  Thank samemo
Luis Alberto H, Manager at Sol Cayo Coco, responded to this reviewResponded 25 April 2014

Dear guest,

Thank you very much for publishing on the trip Advisor, your opinions about your stay at Sol Cayo Coco.

We are very glad to know that you spent fantastic holidays among us in our hotel.

We appreciate all the complimentary comments about our hotel and the services we offer.

Thank you very much for the intention to come again to stay in our hotel. We appreciate it.

Truly yours,

Reviewed 21 April 2014

***DISCLAIMER*** I am a fair reviewer and take these reviews seriously as I use tripadvisor all the time for my own vacation planning. I am not a sully traveler, nor will I sugar-coat everything...

We traveled as a family to Sol Cayo Coco for 10 days last December (2013). This was our 12th vacation to Cuba in the past decade and I have to say that after traveling there so much over the years it might be time to move on. This isn't just about Sol Cayo Coco, but Cuba in general as a tourist destination. I fell in love with Cuba the first time I went there - and even spent 6 weeks with my wife back-packing around it one year - but this last holiday there let us know it was simply time to move on.

The best part was the weather - it was fantastic - blue skies and sunshine every single day except for our departure date - when it rained.

Like all other Cuban resorts, Sol Cayo Coco could use a bit of tlc. Mattresses very uncomfortable, toilet paper missing half the time, mini-fridge refill forgotten to be refilled numerous times, etc. Typical Cuba. Yes I get that it's Cuba and we shouldn't expect to go to a five -star resort, but that excuse is getting old. I've been hearing it for over ten years now.

We get it - Cuba isn't a first-class economy so we should put up with 'everything' even though they have the ability to fix it... just because the US has an embargo on Cuba, doesn't mean the rest of the world does. They still bring in a crap-load of money with tourism and if you are unwilling to invest a bit in it, you eventually kill-off the golden goose.

Drinks are watered-down like crazy as usual and you get nothing more than a little cup that keeps you coming back all the time. Again, not just Sol Cayo Coco - but everywhere in Cuba.

The other thing about Cuba and Sol Cayo Coco was no exception was the feeling that you are always getting hustled for something. Everyone is so nice to you - as long as the tips keep coming. Tip early and often enough and they get to know you and the level of service dramatically increases. Everyone takes you aside and let's you know that if you need anything, they are your guy. You can barely walk around without people approaching you left and right. Try to avoid eye contact. Yes I get that it's Cuba and we shouldn't expect to go to a five-star resort, but that excuse is getting old. I've been hearing it for over ten years now.

After a decade of seeing no-one participate in the nearly-hourly "let's get up and dance and exercise" events around the pool - maybe it's time to put that on ice, no? Speaking of the pool - the pool at Sol Cayo Coco was quite small relatively speaking. Not the end of the world, but chairs were 'reserved' early on - and a lot of times we saw staff reserving chairs at the best locations for people who decided to join us at 11am. Tip in hand, the staff would thank them and see them tomorrow for the same deal... this happens all over Cuba mind you - really annoying here though as there was barely any space around the pool for the amount of guests. Also, loud "top 40" hits playing all day. Yes I get that it's Cuba and we shouldn't expect to go to a five-star resort, but that excuse is getting old. I've been hearing it for over ten years now.

Also, and more importantly, Cuba as a tourist destination seems to be getting 'lower-class" every year. The amount it cost me the first time I went was way more than it did today - and that was in "1999 dollars" - meaning today Cuba has become a destination for people that would otherwise have gone to Uncle Bob's cottage on the lake to get drunk there. Lot's of people hanging running around the resort drunk - even bringing a stereo to the beach to blast music. Some trashy family from Newfoundland showed up at noon one day and blasted ABBA - everyone else was trying to relax and snooze and chill out - someone went to ask them to put it down and they told them to bugger off'... except those weren't the exact words. Complete trash.

Food was on par and typical. Nothing to write home about - but you won't starve either.

Go here if you get a really amazing deal - otherwise it's nothing to go nuts about. Ignore all the one star reviews (it wasn't that awful) and the five star reviews (really, if this is your first ever trip down south yes it will be AMAZING!! but please don't act like it's the greatest place in the world if you have nothing to compare it to).

Has Cuba jumped the shark?? For this family, yes, yes it has.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
14  Thank iTravel_-_Around_Eh
Luis Alberto H, General Manager at Sol Cayo Coco, responded to this reviewResponded 25 April 2014

Dear guest,

Thank you for publishing and sharing, on the Trip Advisor, your opinions about your stay at Sol Cayo Coco.

We regret for not fulfilling your expectations in our hotel, we sincerely apologize for this.

On the other hand, we appreciate all your comments, because they contribute to improve our daily work.

Your remarks will be thoroughly analyzed with all our area managers, for them to take the necessary actions to solve the difficulties, and avoid others guests would have the same opinions.

We would like you to give us a new opportunity to be your hosts again, so we will prove, we can fulfill your expectations in our hotel.

Reviewed 20 April 2014 via mobile

Well, what can I say.

Travelled to sol cayo coco with my boyfriend from 27th March to 11th April, was absolutely fantastic.

Absolutely loved the staff, elvis is fantastic and always welcomed you with a huge smile. Orlando at the pool bar was also amazing! They staff here work so hard to make your holiday a memorable one.

Weather was fantastic, only one bad day, which was our last where the was a storm.

There was always a wide selection of food, if you didn't fancy anything from the buffet there was always stations where fresh food was cooked in front of you, yes it takes longer but what do you expect when it's cooked fresh?!

The beach, well what can I say! AMAZING!! White sands and clear sea where you could walk out and it still be waist high.

All in all,had a fantastic holiday and would definitely return!

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
8  Thank Vanessa M
Luis Alberto H, General Manager at Sol Cayo Coco, responded to this reviewResponded 22 April 2014

Dear guest,

Thank you very much for taking part of your time sharing, on the Trip Advisor, your opinions about your stay at Sol Cayo Coco.
We sincerely consider them very useful for our job. We have found a lot of opportunities for improvements. Every client’s comments is very important for us and that is why we thank you once again. It is nice to know that you had an overall lovely relaxing holiday and that you will return.
Hope to meet you here next time.

Reviewed 20 April 2014

Done a twin centre holiday with Thomas Cook staying at sol cayo coco for 11 nights & Havana for 3. Loved Cuba, Havana is a must see! Our time at cayo Coco was both enjoyable & relaxing. The hotel although slightly dated is spotless the staff are lovely & made our stay. The food I cannot fault so much choice & yes you can wait for food to be cooked only a few minutes, but you don't have to as cuban buffet had meat dishes. There were 4 of us on holiday & not one of us was ill with a bad stomach that was down to their cleanliness & food cooked fresh. If u decide on this hotel & this location to which I would recommend please take the time to talk to the staff & visit Havana even Moron & see how little these people have. Then & only then will you appreciate this country, hotel & wonderful people who do their very best with what they have. A final comment to louis the manager of sol cayo coco it was a pleasure staying in your hotel & meeting you & your staff & I hope your future reviews reflect all your efforts xx

• Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank Pattersons2014

Dear guest,

Thank you very much for your comments, we sincerely consider them very useful for our job. We have found a lot of opportunities for improvements. Every client’s comments is very important for us and that is why we thank you once again. It is nice to know that you had an overall lovely relaxing holiday and that you will return. Hope to meet you here next time.

Reviewed 20 April 2014

What a great hotel check in was fast and easy room 2305 what a great room to be in right over the pool and beach views. The staff were great waitress service (lynette) was very good bringing drinks to your sun bed. reserved tables for breakfast dinner and tea from Eric. Food was good with a wide choice and most stations cooked while u waited so can't get fresher than that. The gardeners were helpful bringing the kids coconuts to drink round pool, rouldolf the bar waiter was brilliant on a night checking we were ok for drinks ever 20 mins and with a group of 18 friends we kept him busy. Oscar, ester jumpi, jordi, rudy and all the entertainment staff were brilliant always getting everyone involved and very friendly. All hard working people who deserve a medal putting up with 18 people demands daily for 2 weeks. Would just like to mention are Thomas cook rep hector what a guy always happy and smiling would try his best to do anything for u and very knowledgeable. The hotel manager were around doing there job greeting guest and making sure we were all happy even on an evening introducing them selfs and asking if everything was ok. Would recommend this hotel very very good

• Stayed: April 2014
3  Thank Tigerlillyprawn

Dear customer,

Thank you for your visit and your positive review. It was a pleasure to attend you during your stay. I agree with you our staff is the main reason we have many repeaters every year.

Thanks for reminding me, hard work together with the staff to make our guests vacation an unforgettable experience and to make them feel at home.
We hope you will be one of them soon.

Best regards from Sol Cayo Coco.