“make your decision carefully”
Review of Sol Cayo Coco

Sol Cayo Coco
Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Cayo Coco
Reviewed 28 April 2014

I want to share our experience with you guys:
1. Jerry mouse visited us on 2nd night during our stay from the celling in the cabinet. It's a sleepless night for us as we heard much noises in the room. Our snacks were bitten by him and many caca were left. we have to change to another room;
2. We are pretty sure there are bugs. We totally have 6 people staying in two superior ocean view rooms. 4 people were bitten by something in the room for sure it's not done by mosquitoes.
3. Coffee makers in the room should have been replaced by new one long time ago. Many furring come out from it.
4. Cockroaches can be seen in buffet restaurant;
5. People can smoke freely almost everywhere;

All the rest are good. I am wondering which hotel ranks #2 in Cayo Coco. Someone knows that?

Room Tip: avoid superior ocean view room if you have senior persons with you as there is no elevator available...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
6  Thank LucasZ561
Luis Alberto H, General Manager at Sol Cayo Coco, responded to this reviewResponded 3 May 2014

Dear customer,

Thank you for your observation; based on all your opinions we can better work on improvement to make our hotel a better place to all our customers’ satisfaction. We do look forward in the hope of being able to welcome you back in the near future and delivering to you the holiday vacation that so many of our guests have experienced and continue to enjoy at Sol Cayo Coco.

Best regards,

director.general.scc@meliacuba.com

Write a ReviewReviews (4,410)

Reviewed 28 April 2014

Stayed here 10/04 - 24/04. Absolutely beautiful surroundings, the beaches are incredible we preferred the public beach because the view was better, sea was shallower and the sand was soft but when we was there it was the cuban holidays so was busy so spent some time around the pool. For us the food was very good things there I wouldn't have expected and I am a very fussy eater and I loved it although after 2 weeks it gets repetitive but everywhere does. We paid for the ocean view room for an extra £9 a night was so worth it and we got a lobster and champagne dinner in the al carte which is really good food cant say the same for the beach grill wasn't so keen. Staff are great made some good friends unfortunately if any of you are travelling soon you wont meet as our favourites have been laid off for the quieter period this was Elvis and Erick the buffet staff. Hector is very helpful when booking trips we did the speed boat to mangroves which I recommend and the jeep adventure where so much is seen culture wise. Before booking any boat trips check with the Marlin on the sol beach its part of the hotel they do trips that thomas cook dont offer and others cheaper so much that thomas cook actually pay them to do the trips but if you book directly with them its cheaper. The entertainment team provide some great activities not all of them are good but some are worth watching and joining in like the beach party, disney show, MJ show.
Overall my only complaint would be the cats heard mixed things that they was wild and also pets but they circle the hotel and even come into the beach grill restaurant when eating and even sat under my chair and beg for food others found it cute and fed them I dont know if other felt the same I like cats just not around me when i'm eating but I understand if they are wild there isnt much the hotel can do.

Thank you for an amazing holiday.

Room Tip: Top floor have better views but there are no lifts
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank lauren a

Dear guest,

Thank you very much for publishing on the trip Advisor, your opinions about your stay at Sol Cayo Coco,

We are very glad to know that you spent fantastic holidays among us in our hotel.

We appreciate all the complimentary comments about our hotel and the services we offer.

Thank you very much for the intention to come again to stay in our hotel. We appreciate it.

Truly yours,

Reviewed 27 April 2014

First time in Cuba. Done twin centre holiday with Thomas Cook, 11 nights cayo coco staying ay Sol Cayo Coco and 3 night Havana, where we stayed at Melia Cohiba end March - Mid April 2014. Havana is a must see and so is Moran. You get a real feel of how this people live outside of the resort.

Four of us travelled and not one of us suffered an upset stomach and I attribute this to the cleanliness of the hotel and good cooking of food. There was plenty of choice for food and not once was this cold or uncooked. Yes you waited at the stations to have meat, fish or fresh spagehetti cooked but there was plenty of choice in the buffett if you didn't want to wait. We queued for fresh food first and then topped plate up from buffy.

The staff are very friendly and made our stay. I would like to thank lui the manager for the good work that he is clearly doing with the hotel. The hotel is a little outdated but as stated cleanliness was second to none. The staff ensure that your stay is very pleasant.

The beach, we went to the quiet beach out of the Sol's ground and over the bridge and this was very calming and relaxing. The sand was kept clean and the sea well this was just perfect. It was a very relaxing holiday and one that we would undertake again.

Room Tip: Higher floor rooms give a really good view.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Trishlawson305

Dear guest,

Thank you very much for your comments, we sincerely consider them very useful for our job. We have found a lot of opportunities for improvements.

Thank you for your words about my work that gives me much encouragement, along with the staff which is the largest credit the Hotel we make every effort to ensure that guests have a memorable vacation.

Every client’s comments is very important for us and that is why we thank you once again. It is nice to know that you had an overall lovely relaxing holiday and that you will return. Hope to meet you here next time.

Reviewed 27 April 2014

We visited sol cayo coco in April 2014, there was a big group of us that went and the staff were really helpful, the welcome party was a lovely surprise with a cold drink awaiting us on arrival at the hotel with a little music band to get us in the mood after the 9 hour flight. The staff were amazing really helpful and could not do enough for us! Rufolf, Eric, Oscar, Esther and Georga were absolutely great with the kids! The entertainment through the day was great for the kids, lots to do and at night time it was brilliant for the families. I would recommend this hotel to anyone with families! Even young couples. We had a really enjoyable time and cannot wait to come back! Thank you for making our holiday perfect!

• Stayed: April 2014
4  Thank KirstLister

Dear customer,

I would like to express our appreciation to your nice words about your stay with us, but mostly about our staff. I will forward your review to Rufolf, Eric, Oscar, Esther and Georga, it is always a pleasure for them to know that our guests recognize their job and efforts. However, we are glad to know that you were able to enjoy your vacations with us, and we hope we can welcome you back in the future.

Best regards,

Reviewed 27 April 2014

My husband and I just arrived home from Sol Cayo Coco yesterday so I write this while the memories are still fresh.

We chose the SCC after carefully reading reviews and doing a bit of research on the hotels in this area. This was our seventh trip to Cuba but first to Cayo Coco. We were looking for a smaller resort, hopefully quiet, decent food, decent room, great beach, plenty of shade without having to get up and reserve a chair, nice staff, etc. For the most part our expectations were met. Here's the breakdown....

First impression- our flight arrived at 10:30 a.m. And we were on the resort within an hour. Immediately we felt we'd arrived in paradise! The resort is lovely! Beautiful grounds with a view of that gorgeous turquoise water even from the lobby! There were just five people on our bus going to this resort so check in was very quick. The lady at the desk was smiling and friendly and quickly had us on the way to our room. We did take the time to exchange a bit of our Canadian money to CUCs at the desk. We got 84 CUC for $100 Canadian. That rate remained the same for the whole week we were there. I will also mention that we paid 14 CUC for the room safe for a 7 night stay. We were given room 2218 which had a fantastic ocean view! It was within a one minute walk to the pool, buffet, lobby area and two minutes from the beach. The particular wing of the hotel faces the beach and mini-putt golf course so there was no pool noise. Another bonus was that there was no third floor in that section making it even quieter with nobody walking around above us. I would highly recommending a room in that area! Our room had two double beds and a bathroom with a shower only. It was a fairly basic room but was tastefully decorated, had no musty smell and was very clean. Our air conditioning worked perfectly and we had hot water consistently. The maid provided us with fresh towels every day and replaced our sheets on request. There is a card provided that you place on the bed when you want the sheets changed which I did once in the middle of the week and as promised cleans sheets were put on that day.

The beach here is fantastic and the only complaint I have is you have to play the chair game. I hate reserving a chair before breakfast but I had to do it. I had read in reviews that this would not be the case but don't believe it. Our arrival day we could not get a chair on the beach at all. It was afternoon and there were lots of empty chairs but they were all reserved. We went to the beach bar, sat in the shade there and enjoyed the afternoon despite the lack of a spot on the beach. The next day we were up early, had breakfast and headed to the beach by 9:30. A worker helped find us chairs and the last unclaimed palapa on the beach. To get a half decent spot and one of the more comfortable blue chairs you need to be there by 8:00 a.m. My husband has skin cancer so shade is a must for us. We did have better lunch finding available palapas around the pool, especially at the lowest pool which I would call the "quiet pool". We prefer the beach so only used the pool late in the afternoon when the wind started to pick up off the ocean. For the most part we stayed to the main hotel beach. There is a second beach, called Playa Largo, that is technically off the resort. You go out a gate, across a small service road and down a wooden walkway/bridge to get to this beach. The hotel does have a bar, palapas and loungers on that beach for hotel guests but it is a public beach. The weekend was very busy on that beach with lots of Cuban families. When it came go walking the beach and searching for shells Playa Largo is the much better beach. It had much better sand for walking on and much nicer shells to collect.

The food at this resort was not the best I've had in Cuba but not bad. I always found something to satisfy me but nothing that wowed me. We ate breakfast in the buffet every day and that was very good. For lunch we chose to eat at the beach grill where we had a choice of grilled fish, BBQ-ed chicken legs, BBQ pork (very fatty, calamari, or hamburgers. You could have your choice of rice, French fries or cole slaw with you order. There was also a salad bar, soup, bread and rolls that you could serve yourself. This restaurant is directly on the beach with area to eat outside on the patio or indoors. There is also a snack bar at the pool with pizza, burgers, hotdogs and sandwiches. The lineups were pretty long here so we avoided it during busy times. For dinner the buffet had stations were you could get grilled meats and fish, pizza, pasta, stir fry plus the buffet table had more prepared choices. We always found something good to eat. We ate all of our dinners in the buffet so I can't comment on the a la carte restaurants. I was disappointed that the churro stand was not open during our stay. It may have been at the beginning of our week and I didn't notice but for the last five days I made the daily walk from the beach to go get a churro and kept hoping one day to find it open.

We didn't get too involved with the animation team and the activities they had going on. We played bingo for a few days which was fun. You could win a bottle of rum but mostly it was just for fun and kept us entertained while we had a late afternoon pizza and drink at the pool bar. We went to the Michael Jackson show which was held in the disco. It was crowded, loud and smokey in there so not very enjoyable. I would have preferred it to be at the amphitheatre. We also caught the magic show which was pretty good and went to the beach party which was fun. There was always some entertainment going on in the lobby in the evening but we found the volume was always too loud. Between the noise and the smoke we were usually driven away from the lobby to sit outside or at the pool bar. The nights they bring out the player piano/calliope I thought my ear drums might burst! A little volume control goes a long way and can make the difference between a performance being enjoyable or not.

The final thing I will say is in regards to the staff. I found that this resort had the best people of any resort I've been to. They were friendly, kind, efficient and genuine. It has been said again and again here on TA and I promise it's true! I would go back to this resort again or recommend it to others without hesitation.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
11  Thank ctl_mojitogirl

Dear customer,

Thank you very much for all your nice comments and for recommending our hotel to other tripadvisor readers.

I am also glad to read that you had an enjoyable holiday and that you would definitely return to our hotel.

If that´s the case please do not hesitate to contact us in order to take personal care of your reservation and make sure you will receive all the ad values that as returning guest you are entitle to.

Reviewed 24 April 2014

This was our 2nd stay at the Sol Cayo Coco.

Airport:

The resort is close to the airport, so if your flight arrives in the morning you get lots of beach time on your first day.

The Cayo Coco airport is painfully slow at processing departure traffic.
It seems like the computers are finicky and slow.
I don't know how the agents manage to keep their cool working with that equipment!
On the plus side, the volume of air traffic is low (pretty much just local resort charters).

Currency exchange:

The "tourist" currency is the Cuban Convertible Peso (CUC) , which is pegged 1:1 with the U.S. dollar.
At the resort, we could always purchase CUC Pesos.
The Canadian dollar was at about .90 US when we were there.
By the time we paid the extra fees, $20 Canadian would buy 16 pesos CUC.
You can't do any better at the banks or official currency exchanges.
If you have a few pesos left over when you leave, there will be lots of Cubans at the airport willing to trade even for Canadian dollars.
Rumors abound that Cuba will be moving to a single-currency system instead of the dual system now in place.
So it's probably a poor idea to return home with a bunch of CUC pesos for your next trip.
They might not be worth much next year.

We booked the catamaran excursion for 3 people, for 9 April, which cost $244.11 US ($274.73 CAD on Visa).
The trip was cancelled on the 9th, and again on the 10th, because of weather.
We were given a refund, but of course the effective exchange rates for buying and selling are not equal.
Our refund (on Visa) was $259.79.
I'm not complaining, just explaining that if you book an excursion on your credit card, and it gets cancelled, it's still going to cost you a few bucks.
Both of these transactions show up on my Visa bill dated 7 April (so the official exchange rate was not the issue).

Beach:

The beach is really nice.
Miles of sand, and not crowded (especially away from the resorts).
It's perfectly safe to walk for as long as you'd like.
The water is warm enough to stay in all day, and clear enough to see lots of fish if you like to snorkel.
But this is the windy side of the island, so calm days are rare.
There are 2 kinds of beach loungers (old solid plastic ones and newer "soft" loungers).
At the beach, the more comfortable ones were "reserved" by 7:30 am (though not occupied).
This was annoying.

Rooms:

The rooms we had were great (in the 2300 section).
The beds are firm, but not hard.
The view was spectacular.
The maid kept the room extremely clean.
Our A/C worked, but it was weak.
The room would cool down to about a bit overnight, but would be hot again after supper.
We had it set on 12 degrees, fan on high.
We complained to the front desk, but I suspect the maintenance man walked in, felt some cool air coming from the vent, and left.
We didn't have any follow-up from the front desk.
We decided we didn't want to press for a different room, as we were with a group in that area.
So we just slept on top of the sheets, and didn't use the room for much besides sleeping.
The other room used by our group had A/C that worked just fine.
You might want to check that the A/C is working well before you unpack and settle in.

Food:

We ate our meals at the buffet restaurant, and snacked at the pool bar.
The food was good.
Our only complaint was that the steam tables at the buffet worked fine some days, but not all days.
Some days the "hot" food was lukewarm at best, even though we got there early.
There is a microwave available if you want to re-heat your plate.

There is a pretty good selection (usually the same) at the central table.
There are several cook-to-order stations which are excellent.
The lines were not too long, even though the resort was pretty much full.
(We always got there early for our meals).

The bread, the ice-cream, and the cheeses were standouts.

The fresh fruit was great, but there was no citrus.

At the "smoothie" station they would make you a smoothie from your selection of fresh fruit.
But the available jug of "orange juice" was thin, watery, and tasted like sugar-water.

We didn't have any issue with "digestive" problems (a very good thing!).

Bottom line: We were very happy with the food.

Bars:

The service is great.
Everyone is cheerful and polite, and a peso tip seems to be appreciated.
The beer is pretty good, and the mixed drinks are excellent.
The bartenders don't measure the liquor, so be careful to ask for the strength that you want.
Nobody complained about "weak" drinks!

The bar entertainment varied from OK to very good.
One night at the pool bar we were treated to a performance by Ismael González Román.
I give special mention, because he was so good.

Bugs:

Other than some tiny ants in our room, we had no problem with bugs.
We never even saw a mosquito.
We didn't use any insect repellant for the entire week.
I expect that biting insects are a seasonal problem, so you may find some depending on when you go.

Overall:

A great spot for some quiet beach R&R.
Wonderful beach, excellent staff, good food and drinks.
Not a lot to do for other entertainment, if that's important to you.
Very good value for what we paid.

Room Tip: Make sure the A/C is blowing lots of cool air before settling in.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
13  Thank RetiredInNS
Luis Alberto H, General Manager at Sol Cayo Coco, responded to this reviewResponded 27 April 2014

Dear customer,

Very difficult to answer such a positive comment.
We are glad that you are rested and enjoy this little paradise.

Thank you very much for your time and detailed commentary, for sharing your experience with Tripadvisor travelers, all comments will help us improve.

If you want feel free to email, we will respond with the hospitality you deserve.

Best Regards,

managing director.

Reviewed 22 April 2014

This is my 2nd time in Cuba and I cannot wait to go again ! Love it there , the hospititality is amazing . My Fiance and I went recently and the weather was beautiful. I really have no complaints .The food was great and the staff were fantastic.We are going back next year to get married and we cant wait .Room was very clean and not a bug in site.Enjoyed going into the Cities to see how the lifestyle is so different than here in Canada. Really gives you allot to think about and makes you really appriciate what you have.Great People in a Beautiful Counrty ...Thank You Friends of Cuba for letting us enjoy your beauty and hospitality ...

Room Tip: We upgraded for a view of the water from the balcony on 4th floor . AS long as the room is clean and...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
6  Thank CaperGirl00

Dear customer,

We are glad that you are rested and enjoy this little paradise.
Thanks for sharing your experience with Tripadvisor travelers, all comments will help us improve.

We hope that if they decide to return to Cuba for the third with his girlfriend to visit us again, it will be a pleasure to serve.

Best Regards,

#7 of 12 in Cayo Coco
Pullman Cayo Coco
Pullman Cayo Coco
#2 of 12 in Cayo Coco

Been to Sol Cayo Coco? Share your experiences!