“Warm Friendly Atmosphere”

Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Cayo Coco
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Warm Friendly Atmosphere”
Reviewed 2 July 2014

Just returned from a two week stay at this hotel (returned 25th June 2014), and firstly I must say that the staff in this hotel are the warmest friendliest I have met in all my travels. Special thanks to REY, IDONIS, RAUL (entertainment), LUIS AND OMELIO (barmen)) AND MARIANO (restaurant) for making this a great fortnights holiday for us. The Hotel is clean and friendly and the food is great , specially the chefs cooking steaks, fish , chicken (eggs and omelettes at breakfast) around the restaurant. The highlight of our holiday was a two day trip to Havana booked with ROBERTO (guy selling trips around the pool). He drove us to Havana, stop offs for bacon sarnies and lunch, was our personal guide around Havana, put us up in a penthouse apartment, personally cooked us Dinner and took us out at night. Next morning he drove us to Che Guevara's tomb in santa clara then back to the hotel, all for 150 pesos each!! can't recommend this guy enough.
The only downside was the mosquito's. Quite a lot there in June, I believe it is better later on in the year. Also, not much outside the hotel but the beach is Fantastic! probably the best beach I have ever had the pleasure of falling asleep on!! The beach bar and grill is fantastic also. There is always something to eat here somewhere pretty much 24/7 including toasted pannini's next to the bar from 11.00pm onwards.
We met some great people who I would like to thank for making it a good time - Pete and Jane, Pam and Roy, Jemma and Nicky, Lewis, Elly, charlotte, Russell, Alice and her mum, Bryan and Wendy, Shaun and Eunice, Tall john (From Southampton) (Astonishing!), sorry if I forgot anyone, you know who you are!
In closing , My advice is that if you are looking for 5 star luxury, then look elsewhere. If you are looking for a Friendly, clean comfortable 4 star that fits everything you need from an all inclusive summer family holiday, then this is for you.
If you don't like your room on arrival then you can pretty much have any empty room you want other than an upgrade. An email prior to arrival stating what you wish will usually be received well.

Room Tip: I emailed before I went and asked for a high room over looking the pool and that is what I got. Peo...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
8 Thank Worsleymanny
Luis Alberto H, General Manager at Sol Cayo Coco, responded to this review, 7 July 2014
Dear client,

Regards,
director.general.scc@meliacuba.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (842)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 1 July 2014

We stayed at the Sol Cayo Coco from June 22 to June 29, 2014. It was a last minute family vacation, our first time at this hotel that was recommended by the travel agent (and somehow the reviews I read on TripAdvisor). It was our 5th time in Cuba, so I think we have a pretty good idea of what we can expect from their resorts. I will also add that we are a very respectful, polite and well tipping family (just in case you might think that we somehow deserved the lack of service).

Instead of writing a full review (that you probably don't have the time to read), here's the list of the main reasons why we will not return to this hotel:
- Dirty beaches: plastic bags, cans, bottles, dishes, etc. on the beach and in the sea... and nobody really seems to care! It's heartbreaking to see how beautiful the landscape is, and what they do with it...
- Small, very noisy and dirty pool: we found a used condom floating in the pool on day 3... that was our last time at the pool...
- Terrible bartending: generally speaking, don't expect anyone to come to you and offer you drinks (get up and go to the bar). My "favorite": no Mojitos for 4 days out of seven as they were constantly running out of mint (?!)
- The concept of "all inclusive" is a joke as even the safe box (which to me is not an option when you travel) will cost you additional money
- While we were there, the hotel looked like a vacation resort for Cuban families (close to 80% of guests). The hotel does not meet quality standards that Northern American or European guests expect from a 4 or 4.5 star rated hotel: dirty grounds, old furniture in the rooms, uncomfortable mattresses, broken equipments, etc.
- Musical ambiance: don't expect to hear your favorite Buena Vista Social Club classics... Instead, you will get lots of "Cuban Enrique Iglesias" style or even worse, "Cuban 50 Cent" style loud music at the pool. Although the hotel has live musicians, the piano or the saxophone players will play crooners classics (nothing that I expect from Cuba).

At the end of the day, we still had a nice family vacation, we met some wonderful people - kids will long remember Grise and Yaneysi :) - and enjoyed time spent together.
But I believe you can get much more for your money. If not, consider spending more to make your trip really unforgettable (for the good reasons).

Room Tip: To get a quiet room, ask for one close to the soccer field (on the opposite side of the hotel you wi...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
11 Thank Mat-Sop
Luis Alberto H, General Manager at Sol Cayo Coco, responded to this review, 3 July 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you for publishing and sharing, on the Trip Advisor, your opinions about your stay at Sol Cayo Coco.

We regret for not fulfilling your expectations in our hotel, we sincerely apologize for this.

On the other hand, we appreciate all your comments, because they contribute to improve our daily work.

Your remarks will be thoroughly analyzed with all our area managers, for them to take the necessary actions to solve the difficulties, and avoid others guests would have the same opinions.

However it is a bit difficult for me to accept that, the beaches and the pool were dirty, and me personally and the workers they care a lot.
Review the issue of mint for mojitos, we have in the middle a Cuban lobby bar exceptional and typical, customers are very happy.
You are quite right, safe charge a paltry sum per day because the price of the hotel is very correct, all contained in catalogs, brochures and any web page, we have no complaints

We would like you to give us a new opportunity to be your hosts again, so we will prove, we can fulfill your expectations in our hotel.

Luis,
General Manager.
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 1 July 2014

This was my 2nd stay at SCC - last time being 9 years ago. I have been to Cuba many times and many different areas. Only stayed a couple of places more than once. Lucky for me there was no single supplement at this hotel. I was originally travelling alone but a friend did decide to join me and we would have separate rooms anyway.

Beaches are beautiful. There is the main beach and the one over a small bridge that is more quiet on the weekdays but very shallow. Weekends lovely Cuban families come and enjoy THEIR beach.

My room (standard). Very spacious. lovely bathroom with balcony and mini fridge. Water was supplied daily.

The food was great. I enjoyed many great meals. Only went to the al a carte once and again enjoyed a great meal. Osmani the server was very helpful in helping me decide what to eat.

The staff at this hotel are wonderful. Very pleasant people. I have been to Cuba 18 times and I think this hotel rates #1 for service. EVERYONE is so pleasant. It starts with the bell boy and ends with the front desk check out. Really. So many great people. Louis at the pool bar is such a sweatheart. Always pleasant and smiling (has the most beautiful eyes). poor Elvis working the disco bar .... how he did this I really don't know. So much demand and he just kept going and going. Orlando at the lobby bar- what a gem. Rey the animation is such a lovely young man. Jamaica (I named him that ) another sweatheart. Soooooooooooo many just can't remember everyone's name. REALLY!! One buffet server came to me while I was making toast to ask if I wanted coffee and water and it was there when I returned.

As for the prior reviews negative comments on Cubans at the hotel. This is their country and it's wonderful to see they now have the right to enjoy THEIR country. 9 years ago at this hotel I met a young lady from Cuba on the beach that told me how one of the things that bothered her was she could not stay at the hotel but we could. I think of this comment a lot when I see the many lovely Cuban families enjoying ..as I said before ...THEIR country. We are visitors and should be grateful they welcome us. The only "zoo animals" I saw were the tourist marking their spots by saving beach chairs.

I have taken my grandson on many vacations (he was so sad he didn't come) and now must take my granddaughter also. The 2 together seems nightmarish to me but I think at this hotel I could do it with both of them. It really is PERFECT.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
8 Thank lesab33
Dear Lesab,

Thank you very much for your comments, we sincerely consider them very useful for our job. We have found a lot of opportunities for improvements. Every client’s comments is very important for us and that is why we thank you once again. It is nice to know that you had an overall lovely relaxing holiday and that you will return. Hope to meet you here next time with your grandson and your granddaughter, will be a perfect holiday again.

Reviewed 28 June 2014 via mobile

You very lucky to be at sol cayo coco we made lots of friends and can't wait to go back next year.. The best waitress is Yulka she will always look after you... If you need a guide there is locals two brothers Maruan and Roberto they are very friendly and very nice people they always are next to the swimming pool if you need them ;) at night time there is show dancers they are very good they always make you smile ;) and entertainment Roly makes allots of jokes and do some funny shows.dancers are very friendly after show there is disco too;) all the staff is nice the bar men are very nice to so friendly.can't remember all the names I wanna come back because of the staff makes you feel so welcome;))

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Roxy P
Luis Alberto H, General Manager at Sol Cayo Coco, responded to this review, 30 June 2014
Dear Roxy,

Hope to meet you here next time.

Nottingham England
Reviewed 28 June 2014 via mobile

We returned from The Sol on the 18th June after a two week stay. This was our 4th visit. We were with friends who were returning for the 3rd time and also with my daughter and her partner who had never been to Cuba before. We love this hotel, and have seen some changes over the years. I want to stress that without the staff, who are more like friends, then the Sol would be just like any other hotel. In my opinion, they are the main reason for the amount of returning guests and the fact that they remember people out of the numbers of guests that must pass through is absolutely amazing. It was my 50th Birthday whilst we were there and I want to say a big thank you to Blanca and Yulka for arranging beautiful flowers on our table at lunchtime (and also for the thoughtful gift) and Yaneisy who looked after us at dinner that night. Also a big thank you to customer services who had organised a cake and sparkling wine. They really made my day extra special.
The location of this hotel is perfect. There is a lovely pool area and stunning gardens that lead directly to the beach. There are plenty of sunbeds and umbrellas and shade if you need to get out of the sun. Also, there is a nice breeze which is often much needed. There is also a larger, public beach to the left of the hotel accessible by a small wooden bridge.
Foodwise, you are spoilt for choice. Even the fussiest of eaters would have no problem as there is something for everyone. The main buffet has various stations where food is cooked to order at every meal. Try the pancakes at breakfast - they're delicious. And the fresh fish and shrimp at night shouldn't be missed. We didn't try the a la carte restaurants this year as we loved the buffet restaurant too much. The pool bar is fantastic for pizza and toasted sandwiches, not forgetting the Churros and the best burgers are to be found at the beach bar.
Drinks wise, you have to go to the Cuban cocktail bar in the main lobby and see Duanne in action. His cocktails are to die for and we worked our way through his list. You can also get great cocktails at the 24 hour lobby bar and at the pool bar but I have to say that the quality of drinks at the beach bar was lacking this year. They're considerably weaker than at any other bar. Bring back Yoel! Nothing was too much trouble when he was there and we'd come away with all kinds of concoctions. This year if we asked for a surprise we got rum with orange squash and a splash of yellow colour - a weak one. It's worth walking the extra few yards to the pool bar for a decent cocktail.
The entertainment team do a great job but they're no longer allowed to join in with the guests to the extent they used to. This is a great shame. Our first visit to the Sol 5 years ago was relatively quieter than our more recent visits and if it hadn't been for the staff playing pool with our then 15 year old son we may not have returned.
I know there has been a change of management at The Sol and I have to say that general maintenance of the hotel is good and ongoing. However, our flight didn't get much of a greeting at the hotel on arrival and no members of staff were introduced at the welcome meeting, little touches that made The Sol the place it is. Seeing as there is only one UK flight per week into Cayo Coco at the moment, this seems a shame. Also, although the manager is often about, he doesn't seem to engage with guests as well as the previous management did. We did get a "distinguished guest invite" to dinner at 6.30pm on the last night but seeing as people have packing to do and the farewell cocktail party is the same night, it seemed a bit "last minute". We decided to forego the dinner for the cocktail party which we ended up not attending as the venue was wrong on our invite.
These little quibbles will not stop us returning to The Sol. There is a big list of people to thank so here goes - Blanca and Yulka for looking after us at breakfast, Yaneisy, Any and Osmany at dinnertime, Yoel, Orlando, Michael, Saul, Roly at the 24 hour bar, Duanne at the Cuban Bar, Dionysus at the pool bar, our friends Adolfo and Daniel, the gardeners and last but definitely not least, Henry, who lights everyone's day with a smile. Also, Alberto, on the entertainment team. Sorry for anyone I've missed. You're all absolute stars. We will be back!

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank Karen_Barrett
Dear Karen,

Thank you very much for your positive comments, thanks for visiting four times, the greatest credit is the Hotel staff are very please and it has had a good holiday, sorry I could not talk to you sometimes can not recognize repeat customers, occupancy index is very high and it is impossible to all but the most important thing is that you felt good at the Sol Cayo Coco.
Hope to see you soon for the fifth time.
Best regards,
england
Reviewed 26 June 2014 via mobile

we got back this morning from cayo coco 26th June and all I can say is fabulous,the hotel is clean the rooms are spacious the food is good and plenty of choice,the staff in the restaurant are very good (blanka your a star)you kept kev going in orange juice, Henry works like a trooper to help with your luggage and anything else if you just ask,the entertainment team work hard to put a good show on (lot to be said for the entertainment manager he is a waste of space)the gardens are beautiful Adolf the gardener made our holiday he is amazing,all in all a brilliant holiday and we met some lovely people as well, we will go back that is for sure,we had room 1228 away from main area very quiet and lovely big room..thank you all at the sol who made our holiday... Kevin and maxine.xx

• Stayed June 2014
5 Thank englandcrystal
Luis Alberto H, General Manager at Sol Cayo Coco, responded to this review, 29 June 2014
Dear Maxine and Kevin,

Thank you for your excellent comments on this page about your stay in our hotel. We will consider all your opinions in order to develop the satisfaction of our clients. It is always a pleasure to know your opinions about our hotel in order to improve our services. We will transmit your comments to our staff and I am sure we all will be very happy to welcome you back in the near future.
Regards,
liverpool
Reviewed 23 June 2014

Had a great time at the Sol, clean, good food, good beer, rooms spacious and clean, good entertainment, good sized pool, own beach, tennis courts, table tennis, themed nights, rifle gallery, pool table, not far from airport, would definitely go again.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
13 Thank ihawksey
Dear customer,

You're right, we have it all, perfect weather, a spacious room, clean hotel, the beer is always cold and most importantly our hospitality and desire to work hard to satisfy our customers' desire.
Check back soon, will be our pleasure to serve you and thank you for writing on tripadvisor.

Best regards from paradise.

director.general.scc @ meliacuba.com
Pullman Cayo Coco
Pullman Cayo Coco
#2 of 12 in Cayo Coco
Memories Flamenco Beach Resort

Been to Sol Cayo Coco? Share your experiences!