“very good”
Review of IBEROSTAR Mojito

IBEROSTAR Mojito
Ranked #8 of 12 Hotels in Cayo Coco
Reviewed 16 May 2012

I had a great experience at this gem of a Hotel. The staff was amazing, so freindly yet professional. Beautiful lagoon takes you out to the beach Nice clean, bright room. Great food and drinks. I have just fallen in Love with this country and it's people! I will be back!

Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
9  Thank J W
Director Genera... I, General Manager at IBEROSTAR Mojito, responded to this reviewResponded 2 June 2016

Dear guest,

We really thank you for having chosen our resort to spend your holidays and we appreciate that you have taken part of your precious time to write a review about your experience with us; as well as; to recommend others to visit us.
It is satisfying to read you have loved the food quality, the shows, the beach, the room comfort & the service of all our friendly staff.
Thanks again.

On Line Reputation Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (3,676)

Reviewed 10 May 2012

Our 1st trip to Cayo Coco: April 20-27. Room was great overall. Showers...best in Cuba by far! Food was awesome, except for 1 night at the buffet. LOVED the Cigar Lounge....you have to check that out! We were in block 12...a bit of a hike but we enjoyed the excercise. Unfortunately, it was very breezy this week and the tide was high every day except 1, which made the beach narrow. Our only complaint: the beach would be perfect if the beach "staff" would clean up the seaweed. We went for a walk along the beach towards the other resorts and their staff were raking and cleaning up the seaweed. The main lounge/lobbey is spectacular! The a la carte restaurants are built on the water/lagoon which was beautiful and the food was amazing. Service overall was very good. My wife got a manicure for $5 pesos! Mojitos in main lounge/lobbey are delicious! Lots of entertainment. Normally we book excursions but we did not this time. We just really enjoyed the resort on its own. Highly recommend. Have fun!

3  Thank Smiths1993

Dear Guest,
On behalf of all the hotel staff, and particularly the manager we would like to thank you for the opportunity you have given us by choosing the Hotel.
We would like to clarify though that the hotel chain is concerned to listen to the voice of our customers through internet and dedicated an especial staff to track feedbacks and deliver them to the corresponding Managers by destination and rectify those areas in which we need to work.

Reviewed 8 May 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed at Hotel La Laguna from Friday April 13 - Friday April 20, 2012. We booked on Redtag.ca through HolaSun for a price of $674 each, after tax. I think we got an amazing deal, as we both really enjoyed the resort! I will give a summary of the good and the bad of the resort by breaking it down by category.

Check-in

Check-in was one of the things I wasn't that big a fan of. It was slow and very confusing. After we got off the bus (the bus ride was great, btw. It was very short. Only about 10-15 minutes), everyone rushed to the front desk to check in first. There was no actual line up, but rather a big crowd of people around the desk, making it hard to tell if you were next or not. Staff were very friendly though.

Our room

We stayed in block 21, which is far away from both the beach and the main pool. The adult pool was right behind us though and that's where it was easiest to find a chair, if we hadn't reserved one. So it wasn't too bad. Our view was just trees though.

Everything in the room worked very well! The AC could make the room as a cold as a winter day in Canada and we never had any issues with the water. The only slight issue we had was that sometimes the toilet wouldn't flush everything down on the first couple of flushes, but it
seems like that's just how toilets in Cuba are.

The room was clean and the chambermaid did an excellent job of cleaning it everyday. If my boyfriend left clothes laying around, we would come back to find it neatly folded. There was absolutely no issues with theft either. Although for the most part, we used the safe, there were occasions where I left my camera, iPod and money out, and came back to find it still there.

We booked the Club Hola Caribe room, so our fridge was stocked with beer, pop, and bottled water when we arrived. We also received a bottle of rum, cookies, and mints (the cookies weren't very good). Our fridge was restocked with bottled water on a daily basis and if we
wanted more, we just asked our maid, and she would give us an extra bottle.

I found the bed to be a little hard and started to miss mine by the end of the trip, but it was nothing to really complain about.

We were both pleasantly surprised with how good the food was! This is our second time to Cuba (first time was to Varadero), so based on our first experience, we expected the food to be terrible. It wasn't though! There were lots of great options at the buffet; the meat, fish and pasta being our personal favourites. In the morning, the pancakes, french toast and omelets were excellent as well. You could even ask to have your eggs made a certain way, and they would do it for you (like over-easy).

Surprisingly, the desserts were fabulous as well!

The staff at the buffet were all amazing! To give an example: There were usually two pasta stations going at one time, one on either side of the buffet. I was the first one in line for the pasta station on the right side of the buffet, one day. When the staff member tried to turn it on, he found out that the burner wasn't working. He called over a bunch of people to try to fix it but it wouldn't go on. He asked me what sauce I wanted for my pasta and said he'd be right back.
He left to the back room and came back a few minutes later with my food, fully cooked! Even though the station wasn't working and I could have gone to the other side, he went out of his way to make sure I'd get my food. After I ate, I saw him at the other station and gave him
a tip. The next day, I went to the pasta station again and he remembered me. He told me it was working today and apologised for the day before. No apologies were necessary! I couldn't believe how nice he was!

Orlando was great as well! He always had a table ready for us with pineapple juice and water. On our last day, we told him we were leaving and he said we needed to take a picture together before we left. So we did. Such a nice guy!

The only downside to the food was that there was too much SALT added to pretty much every dish!

A la Carte

We did two a la carte's: the Cuban restaurant and the seafood restaurant. The service was great and the restaurants were beautiful, but personally, I preferred the food at the buffet much more!

Pools

There were 4 pools at the resort: the adult pool, a pool with a swim up bar, another pool next to it and a children's only pool. We found that unless you came out early in the morning to reserve a seat by the pool, it was usually pretty difficult to find one. We managed to get
lucky though and find a seat every time we looked. Sometimes it just took a while until we did.

There were always staff going around taking drink orders, which was great. One of the guys would sort of ignore you unless you tipped him though. We didn't find any of the other staff like that.

They had daily activities by the pool which were lots of fun as well!

The Beach

The beach was just over a 5 minute walk from our room, but worth the walk! It was gorgeous and always very clean! I never found cups laying around, cigarette butts in the sand or any other trash. We never had difficulty finding a seat as there was a staff member who worked on
the beach who would bring you a clean chair. There was always music playing which was nice, but for some reason, they point the speaker towards the water and not towards the beach where people are sitting.

It was loud enough that you could still hear it from a distance though.

The water was great and shallow for quite a distance, which I really liked. Just watch out for the "black parts" in the water, which are hard coral. If you happen to step on it, it hurts. But it's easy to avoid as there's not much of it.

Entertainment

The nightly entertainment was always great! The magician being my favourite.

Staff

As said before, the staff are all wonderful. We bought a monkey which was carved out of a coconut from the gardener for $5 CUC. It's really neat. The only thing was, after we bought it, almost every time he saw us, he would try to sell us more. If we said no, he wouldn't push it.
A few other staff members on the resort would try to sell other things as well, but again, they never pushed it.

We made sure to tip and each staff member that we tipped never seemed to forget and they were very appreciative.

All in all, it was a lovely trip at a lovely, well taken care of resort! All the other tourists we spoke with loved it as well. The side of the resort we stayed on will be closed in November for renovations, so this is a great time to check out before it changes. When the renovations are done, the resort will be turning into an Iberostar, so now is the time to go before the prices go up! We would definitely recommend Hotel La Laguna!

8  Thank Alexandra S

Reviewed 8 May 2012

La Laguna, Cayo Coco, April 21 to 28, 2012

The pathway that circles past the lobby and pool are an easy walk. All guest rooms are located in two and three story blocks, (no elevators) with stairs only. The resort is separated by a lagoon with a bridge crossing over the lagoon to the beach. The garden and pathways were clean and well maintained.

White sandy beaches welcome you. We saw the beaches being groomed often during our stay. A beach person was there placing white plastic loungers for guests. However for your comfort, bring along an air mattress. The main beach area was too busy for us and we moved down to the closed section. We noticed during our stay, security people casually walking about this resort, mostly out on the beach and along the bridge walkways.

In the main buffet, front desk, most bars and our room, the service level ranged from good to very good. All the supporting services, kitchen, gardens, entertainment, towels, administration, made the resort comfortable.

The food served during our stay was the best ever had in Cuba. We had great choices; one will not go hungry or thirsty. In addition to the great food served at the buffet there was also the fast food choices of burgers, fries, and hot dogs.

We had our favorite staff in each area and were frustrated to see them go in the trimming. This resort did a seasonal downsizing which reduced staff numbers and service levels. Glad it took place near the end of our stay.

All of the À la carte restaurants are located out on the Lagoon. Bring along bug spray or wear light cloths to cover arms and legs, the lagoon area is infested with mosquitos at night. The Cigar bar is worth visiting in the evening.

There are a number of tours available should you choose to leave the resort during your stay. The tour desk is located just across from the main reception desk. However in our opinion stay away from the horse and carriage ride. The horse’s health condition is poor; we changed our mind by not taking a carriage ride. One can only hope that soon, the owners will give the horses’ better care.

We were very happy to see that the people in this area of Cuba have had some economic improvement. This was best illustrated by the many cars driven by local Cuban people out to the beach area for a family beach day, the wearing of name brand designer clothing & shoes, very fancy designer nails, cellphones, heavy gold jewelry and neck chains as seen worn by many staff and vendors at this resort.

On a scale out of five, a solid four.

7  Thank AlbertaBucanero

Reviewed 7 May 2012

My wife and I traveled to Laguna April 21st - 28th and we had an awesome time. The drive to and from the airport is only about 15 mins which is through vegetation without seeing any houses or farms as no one lives on the peninsula. Surprisingly with being so close the airport we did not hear any planes at all.

The beach was incredible, scuba diving could have been slightly better as the wind was very high causing for some rough water and diving was cancelled one day. The dive center is just one resort over and we could store our equipment there in a secured room so walking over in the morning was lovely down the beach and only about 7 min walk. Service was fabulous and the staff was the friendliest that we have met in Cuba by far. The buffet was not stellar but we made the best of it, remember this is Cuba. The ala carte restaurants were excellent though with a generous amount of food and good selection. Hanging out at the cigar bar playing pool was very nice in the later evening where no one really smokes cigars making it a very enjoyable time. Spending time in the hobby bar sipping cappuccinos with Baileys is relaxing as well.

Resort is very clean and well maintained. Word has it that Iberostar has bought into the resort and are going to be making some changes and up grades.

My wife and I travel to the Caribbean 4-5 weeks over the course of a year and we are not ones to go back to the same resort twice but we are going to make this resort a stop every year now!!

Room Tip: Take your travel mug!! :)
4  Thank welove2travel2000

Reviewed 7 May 2012

I would never ever go anywhere else but hotel la laguna its amazing and friendly loving staff all around, i can't wait to go back, food was better then i ever tasted and weather was amazing.... And rooms were always clean and cold and smelling good, and never ever saw any bugs anywhere so the staff is doing a super duper job with this place....

Room Tip: Truly i don't think it matters where your room is as your not planning to do anything but sleep...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
4  Thank Rachel L
Director Genera... I, General Manager at IBEROSTAR Mojito, responded to this reviewResponded 10 March 2016

Dear Guest,
We really thank you for having chosen our resort to spend your holidays and we appreciate that you have taken part of your precious time to write a review about your experience with us, as well as to recommend others to visit us.
Thanks again.
Online Reputation Manager

Reviewed 6 May 2012

We stayed at La Laguna April17-24..we ahad a great time. Our group was 8 in total (4 older teens) this was our second time to Cayo Coco and I must say the food in this resort was fantastic...good variety,well prepared and very good. We ate at 3 of the a la cartes the seafood ( it was OK) the steakhouse ( awesome) and the cuban ( again just OK)
The rooms in the resort are a little dated but well equipped, the maids kept the rooms spotless. The grounds are beautiful, the pool is very nice ( good Banana Mamas at the swimm up bar)

The drinks are top notch at this resort..they bartenders will make you just about anything ( and if you can't think of anything there is a drink menu in the lobby bar) this is one of the few resorts were I have seen both Bailly's anf Kaluha being served....I even had cognac one evening.

Th staff were wonderful very very hard workers ( tipping is always appreciated but definatly not required) Tamera in the lobby bar is a gem ( she loves shoes wears a size 9 and has a 7 year old son) she was SOOO grateful for the gifts I gave her that I so wished that I had brought more things.

The only downfall with this resort is that is set a bit away from the beach...the walk is fine and that is not a problem but when I go to a resort I like to spend a fair amout of time at the beach and when I am not at the beach I like to be close to it ( see it, hear it) with this resort you were somewhat removed from it...you could have been at any inland hotel....but having said that it is so minor and does not take away from what this resort has to offer in anyway it is just my preference.

To sum it up it was a VERY good vacation and I would recommend this resort. I'm not sure what is going to happen when the other side opens whether this one will close or not no one seems to know for sure.

If you go for a walk on the beach and meet up with a security gaurd named Bryon to the right of the resort..treat him well he is a super guy ( don't think those guys get too much in tips)

The cigar lounge is the place to be for a quiet drink...don't miss it it is awesome.

Room Tip: Block 15 and 16 are close to the pool and are the noisiest....if you don't mind the animation te...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family

#7 of 12 in Cayo Coco
Pullman Cayo Coco
Pullman Cayo Coco
#2 of 12 in Cayo Coco

Been to IBEROSTAR Mojito? Share your experiences!