“Iberostar Mojito - great stay, great people! PLEASE READ THE END OF REVIEW - IMPORTANT!!!”
Review of Iberostar Mojito

Iberostar Mojito
Ranked #8 of 12 Hotels in Cayo Coco
Newmarket, Canada
Reviewed 9 December 2013

We just came from two weeks stay in Mojito. We had absolutely fantastic time there. This is not the first time but definitely one of the best. Mojito is improving under the new management of Iberostar. We spoke to Cubans that work in hotel and they all saying only good things about the hotel and its Spanish manager. Food is descent - not a big variety but good quality. Rooms are clean, air conditioning works just fine and surprisingly not noisy. Lobby bar is also great. At this time of the year beach is narrow due to tides. But closer to 10 am tide goes away and you have a wonderful sand. Please keep in mind that this is not a big hotel with a lot of entertainment. I think it is mostly suitable for couples over 30. At least all people we saw there been 30-70 years old. If you want to have younger generation around, go to Trip Cayo Coco. Personally we didn't like Tryp Cayo Coco at this time. Too much noise, too many smoking people. But of course it is up to you. I would give one advice - make sure you are tipping. This is not required but definitely makes your stay even better. Personally we tipped 1 peso every breakfast, lunch and dinner and every night 1 peso in a lobby bar and of course our camarera (room services) every day (1 peso too). You are not going to spend too much but you make Cubans happy and they trying to make you happy too. Every day our waiter was running to us asking what is needed. We've been served immediately. Waitress at dinner time remembers us for many years and meets us as close friends. She knows what we prefer and makes everything ready as soon as we enter the buffet. Those small things make you stay really nice and comfortable.

THIS IS A NOTE TO PET LOWERS: PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE HELP!!!! there is the small Souvenirs Shop right between Mojito and Tryp Cayo Coco. You will find it walking on a beach toward Tryp Cayo Coco hotel. The Cuban guy that works there picking up puppies and kittens from the streets of Moron (the closest Cuban city) and brings them to the island where they have at least some food from tourists. They all very skinny and hungry like crazy. During two weeks of our stay we were bringing them food every day. I would like anyone who reads my review to try to bring at least couple hamburgers, some chicken, fish, butter, milk - whatever you can to feed them. The very last day of our stay the guy brought two more puppies. One of them has a broken leg I think. If you have a heart, you will help them!!! THANK YOU IN ADVANCE!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
7 Thank designxworld
Director Genera... I, General Manager at Iberostar Mojito, responded to this review, 10 December 2013
Dear Guest,
We really thank you for having chosen our resort to spend your holidays and we appreciate that you have taken part of your precious time to write a review about your experience with us.
We keep on having very nice reviews and we are very happy for that. We see you are repeat guests and that this time has been one of your best. That is also a good piece of news since somehow it means you see some improvement. That is what we are trying to do all the time, improving service and facilities. Thank you for your kinds words for the workers.
Once again, we thank you for your considerations and are looking forward to seeing you in the near future to share and enjoy with the Iberostar Mojito’s team. We will not spare efforts to make your next visit always better than your previous one.
Best Regards,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (604)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 8 December 2013

Wonderful vacation
My wife and me celebrated our 25th anniversary in this resort and it was GREAT. From landing to taking off and everything in between, everything was just perfect.
When we got to the Cayo Coco airport they opened 12 check in points so everything went fairly fast and smooth. There were 2 persons helping disabled people and families with children to get trough passport control soon and safe. In front of airport air-conditioned bus was waiting for us and in about 15-20 min we were at our hotel. My travel agent and sales manager from resort helped me to make surprise for my wife for our anniversary: there were very nice bouquet of red roses, bottle of sparkling vine and letter that I emailed earlier nicely arranged in our bedroom. Room was nice, big, bright and very clean with everything working as it was supposed to work. They change bedding on daily basis and they give you more than enough towels.
Resort is under renovation but there was no noise or anything annoying. All part of resort that are open to guests are very well kept in order and very clean. Depending of position of your room there is short walk to the wonderful beach in our case it was about 5 min of pleasant walk. Beach is amazing and as soon as you step on sand there was one of employees to offer you and bring you beach lounge chair which would be cleaned for you. There is soft white sand and crystal clear water and beach is kept very clean. Trough resort there are nice walk ways so you can enjoy nice walk around.
Bars are great, there are Lobby bar, pool bar with polite and friendly person bringing you your drinks, there are also beach bar and 24/7 bar with restaurant/snack bar. They offer plenty of domestic and imported drinks and my personal favorite was Aged Dark Havana Club. I also have to mention great cappuccino they make. Usually I don't drink coffee but I tried once and I was having this cappuccino every day. They would make any kind of cocktail and if you want to experiment they would follow your order. Drinks and beverages are served in nice and clean glasses and cups. There is also great cigar bar with pool table and nice sitting and some soft music.
Restaurants like everything else in resort are nice bright and clean. I understand that people have different tastes and not everyone likes same food. For me food was great and there was plenty of choices so everyone can find something for themselves. They offer on daily basis: great beef, pork, chicken and fish which could be cooked, baked or fried, few times a week they also offer lamb. For side dishes there were few types of rice, mashed potato, baked potato, fries and pasta, also they offer cooked or steamed vegetables. There is pasta and pizza station where you can chose everything you want to put on or in. They have several types of pasta and sauces and many different toppings. There is also grilling station where you can order grilled beef, pork, chicken or fish. For breakfast they offer sandwich meat, cheese, doughnuts, muffins, cereals, scrambled eggs, sausages, pasta and there is also omelette bar where you can order eggs any way you want. With each meal they offer plenty of different types of regular or sweet breads, fruits and deserts. They also have a la carte restaurant for which you have to make reservation and it offers great food with a lot of choices.
Entertainment is great those people work really hard to make sure you have great time. Starting in the morning with pool games they offer you something good trough the day. Early evening in lobby bar they have live music with different performers daily. There is stage where they have show every night it starts with children entertainment followed by different show every day of the week. There are great dancers who would invite you for a dance after show and even join you in great disco club. They also have great band and singer who sound just great. There is gym which is well equipped, volleyball court and tennis court if you want to use them.
Everything I mentioned so far was great but people working there made everything wonderful, amazing and worth coming back. I do not want to mention any names because I would probably forget to mention someone. Simply Cuban people are friendly, polite, loving and they do everything they possibly could to make sure you have unforgettable vacation. Every single employee is working hard to keep everything running smooth, keep everything very clean and make sure you have everything you need for great vacation. If you decide to give them tip or gift they appreciate it and they are thankful for it. They would be nice friendly and polite to you even if you do not give them anything. We made there some really great friends. Everyone from gardeners, servers, maids, entertainers and managers would be there to help you if you need anything. I have seen managers helping guests with luggage. Usually we do not go to same place twice in order to see more but because of those wonderful people we will be back.

Room Tip: Block 19 is nice and quiet
5 Thank Slobodan S
Dear Guest,
Wonderful to hear you loved your holidays so much. Yes, you have seen it with your own eyes. Our staff will walk the extra mile to make it better for you. You are the most important person in our resort. We have a job because you and many other people come to visit us, so we have to make it right.
Here in Cuba, sometimes we lack materials to repair something faster than what we would have liked or perhaps there is the lack of a certain food item some people are looking for, because our supplier do not have it, etc. But be sure we do put our minds and hearts into making everything work and function fine and have the best service possible. Little by little we are going to get to where we want.
Mississauga, Canada
Reviewed 6 December 2013

I really enjoyed this resort!

The staff was fantastic and extremely friendly! They seemed to genuinely care if you were enjoying yourself or not. In other hotels in Cuba we had a lot of staff tip seeking and flat out asking for money and goods but it seemed at this resort they just aimed to please. We ended up spending about $200 in tips but that was completely our choice and the service was great if we tipped or not. A special shout out to Ariel (I know, not the mermaid, the big shark! lol) at the Cigar Lounge and the gentlemen on the beach who always had a chair ready and dusted off for us (Jorge and the gentleman with the Spanish singer for a son, I can't recall his name sorry) these men are a HUGE asset to the resort!!! There is no fighting for a chair, they are bringing them right to you at this resort! Also the night cook at the pool bar area (Didn't get his name but had a lovely chat with him about his little son). The front desk team was also amazing! They were so helpful and wanted to make sure everything was perfect. There were so many great people working at this resort. They were all so kind and inviting it felt like they were old friends.

The grounds were nice, the pools were big and beautiful. There are just small cosmetic things that would make the place a 5 in my book. Some of the walkways have just been patched instead of properly repaired (not a big deal just a minor detail still completely useable) and most of the pools had lights under the water that had pulled away and were laying on the bottom with wires stretching up to where they originally hung. It looked as though people had stood on them and their weight had pulled them from the wall. Also the fountains were not functioning when we were there it would have been nice to see them in their glory but like I said just small cosmetic things.

Our room was beautiful! I loved the dark wood and the high ceilings in it. My only wish was that there was a nicer, bigger tub. The beds were comfortable and clean. I did think that the cleaning could be a bit more detailed. There were squished bugs on the wall that were there all week in very obvious places that I would think would have been seen and cleaned. There were a few ants in the room but not infested. We simply took care of them and everything was fine. Outside of our room a few times there was a sewage smell but it never lasted and it was never present inside our room. I was surprised at the amount of channels we got in our room. (Nice on the rainy days). Our room was 2212. We noticed that the door has dried out a lot from the sun shining on it and it had started to crack. You could actually see light coming through the door.

I brought bug spray because I am usually eaten alive when I travel but I managed to come away with only a few bug bites, my husband, whoever who usually does not get any bites has a large number of bites but he refused to wear bug spray at all. (Bring some with you, the bugs aren't horrible like other resorts we have been to but there are some).

The boardwalk and walkways to the beach are beautiful and we enjoyed watching the fish and jellyfish move about. Truly beautiful and I can't wait to go back and stay in the rooms above the water when they open!

The beach is very nice! There is a section with rock that is a bit hard on the feet but 10 feet one way or the other and it is nice soft sand! The beach is a bit narrow when the tide is in but it is nice and long so there was plenty of room for everyone.

The Cigar Lounge is the perfect place to chill at night! Ariel (as mentioned before) is the bartender there (if you ask nicely he may even give you a lesson). The music is AWESOME! GNR, The HIP and other greats! (I feel like I am giving up a little secret here because it seemed like not a lot of people hung out here, like a hidden gem!)

The resort seemed to have mostly people in their mid to late 40s + or families with younger children. My husband and I are in our early 30s but really enjoyed that it was so relaxed and not a teens/ early 20s kinda place. (At least in our opinion). I plan to return with our children when they are a little bit bigger.

The food was really good! My husband and I have been to several resorts in Cuba and The DR and this one ranks our number 2 for food. Try the Bruschetta, it is awesome! And the grill at the Buffet is really good always has at least 2 kinds of fish, chicken, beef and hot dogs and hamburgers grilled right in front of you. The 2 A La Carte restaurants were really good too! My husband highly recommends the Asparagus soup! The Pool grill had great food too. I LOVED the pizza made to order. Drinks were strong and plentiful. Try the Papa Hemingway's at the lobby bar. They were a favorite for me!

The disco was nice but dead. There were a few bats flying around inside of it one night.

The entertainment is hands down the best I have ever seen. The dancers are amazing and you can tell a ton of time and effort goes into the shows.

I know that I am forgetting things but I have already written a novel. If you have any questions feel free to ask :)

I HIGHLY recommend this resort!

Room Tip: Buildings 22 were very nice, beautiful dark wood and high ceilings (upstairs). Nice and close to th...
5 Thank shannyann
Dear Guest,
It is always nice to hear both sides, what you liked and what you disliked, though we see you had more from the latter and made a nice description of the services, the food, the rooms, etc. Yes, we have to look at the details and your review is a good one so that we keep on guard so as to say, to avoid the hotel to start run down when we are doing the opposite by repairing and renewing all the facilities.
Bolton, Canada
Reviewed 3 December 2013

Based on our first review of this place from March 2013 (go read it...), we went back for 2 glorious weeks at the Mojito from June 29 thru July 13, 2013. It was FANTASTIC, as expected. Just so you understand, a big part of the reason we went back here was because of the staff and we made the right choice. Less crowded in summer, but still lots of people around. All the same friendly staff and it is surprising how many people remember you if you made the effort to meet them the first time. Over the 2 weeks, most of our "bar" time was spent at the lobby bar for cappucinos in the morning, afternoon blender drinks and whatever felt right before/after dinner....The bartender Ruben is one of the nicest, most down to earth people I have met. We actually plan to go exploring other parts of Cuba with him when he has a day off the next time we are back there. Freddy at the bar has an amazing musical collection for a former "rock on" like me. All the staff at the lobby bar are really nice. The lady who seems to run the hotel reception desk (sorry i forget her name but she was quite tall with long black hair) was so friendly and helpful every time we stopped there the entire 2 weeks, whether it was to change money, when we had a problem with the lock on our door after a HUGE rainstorm,etc.
As everyone should know, you can pay $500 to $1500 more per person and go to a 5 star in the Mayan Riviera and get a different kind of vacation, but you will never find the same quality of people as Cubans in general and this hotel staff in particular. A solid 4 star Cuban resort.
Hi again to Ruben, Edil, Freddy, Roberto and Tamara at the lobby bar !!!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jeff_and_Joose
Dear Guest,
From your words we realize you are a repeat guest and for us, it is great satisfaction that a great percentage of our guests would have either returned or express their willingness to do so. Yes, we always say that our staff is our best asset and we really thank you for your kind words for them. As you may have realized little by little we have been improving the facilities to raise our standards as well.
New Glasgow, Canada
Reviewed 2 December 2013

Just back from another amazing vacation at Iberostar Mojito. We were there from Nov 9 till Nov 27 and do not have even one thing to complain about.

When we arrived we quickly registered and taken to our beautiful, large, bright, freshly painted room.

The folks working at this resort make you feel so special and so welcome. There certainly is an air of happiness from all the workers and it is contagious.

The people working the buffet are so professional and the food is amazing. The selections are fantastic and you can find everything from delicious pumpkin, cauliflower, beef burgundy, congris rice and so many other yummy items.
It is great to be able to have fresh fish, chicken, pork and/or beef cooked to your liking while you watch.
The pasta bar is awesome and again you can request the type of pasta and whatever sauces, spices and veggies to want with it. At no time do you ever feel that you are being rushed or that you are not special.
The deserts are totally out of this word. Jose Garcia can make deserts that are to die for including such delicacies as peach pie, apple pie, coconut macaroons and so many other fabulous deserts - all I can say is WOW!!!.

The a la carts are also amazing. The appetizers are delicious, you can cut the beef with a fork and the ribs are out of this world. Again the professionalism here is better than you can find most anywhere else. The maître’de Yosvel makes sure that everyone is taken care of and again never being rushed out the door to prepare for the next seating.

The lobby is a great place to relax and chat with the other guests and to get to know the servers. The smiles of Jose Miguel will actually light up the entire space. Everyone is so attentive and the drinks are really yummy. There is entertainment around 7:00 which makes a lovely way to start your evening. The shows that begin at 9:30 are Broadway quality. Sometimes you have to pinch yourself to remember you are in Cuba and not New York.

The beach is so beautiful and kept immaculately clean each day. The pools are also incredibly clean and the “Star Friends” do a great job of keeping you entertained with such activities as fun games, exercise classes, dance lessons. There is always a laugh to be shared with the participants. The gardeners appear to work non-stop and the grounds are beautiful and so manicured.

We are sad that General Director Santiago is leaving to take on new responsibilities at another Iberostar resort. He will be missed and his replacement certainly has large shoes to fill.

Not directly related to our resort but certainly an important part of our vacation was our airline - WestJet. This company is totally amazing. Besides always being on time, never losing our luggage and having comfortable seats with lots of leg room, they are so caring. We were not able to fly into Halifax due to weather conditions so they graciously made reservations at a lovely hotel and provided us with meal vouchers for both breakfast and supper as well had us booked on a “rescue” flight the next day to take us to Halifax!!! You absolutely cannot ask for better customer service than that.

4 Thank Brian-Phyllis M
Director Genera... I, General Manager at Iberostar Mojito, responded to this review, 5 December 2013
Dear Guest,
You are family to most of us. Your love and respect through the years has been exceptional. You also know that we may not have the most updated hotel, but we do have people who give their heart and are very pleased to make our guests satisfied. We keep on working on details on a daily basis to make our resort more beautiful and functional. We are very pleased to have such wonderful people as you are visiting us so often.
Once again, we thank you for your considerations and are looking forward to seeing you in April to share and enjoy with the Iberostar Mojito’s team. We will not spare efforts to make your next visit always better than your previous one.
Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada
Reviewed 1 December 2013

We came to this beautiful resort having never been to Cuba before and not knowing what to except. We were more than pleasantly surprised with our welcome. The check in was quick and friendly and we were greeted with a cold rum punch. The bell hop took us to our room by motorized cart and carried our bags up to our room. Upon entry we were greeted by a trail of rose petals leading up to the huge bed and there sat 2 swans fashioned out of towels with the beaks joined in the shape of a heart. This was lovely to us, as it was the start of our honeymoon. We also had a bottle of champagne and 2 glass champagne flutes waiting for us. What a special touch. The room was really pretty and the air conditioning worked really well. There was lots of hot water, lots of towels and 2 fluffy robes at our disposal. The gardening staff where the first introduction and greeted us with kindness and happiness. Make sure you visit gardener Raul, he will likely open coconuts for you and maybe even make you something special. Jose makes the best expresso and cappacino around and can be found at the pool side bar or the beach bar. All the staff here is very friendly and helpful and goes out of their way to make your holiday special. You could want for nothing more from the staff. The pools are beautiful. The beach is stunning and you can walk for miles. The food is actually quite good and lots of variety. The breads are second to none and fresh daily. The fish, beef, pork and chicken is very nicely prepared. There is definitely something for everyone to enjoy at the buffet. The al a carte restaurants very nice also. The entertainment was very good, these people work very hard to entertain us, something different every night. We didn't find the bugs to be to bad here but bring BUG SPRAY just in case they bother you. All in all we would say this is a truly wonderful place to stay and we can not wait to go back. See you there!

Room Tip: All the rooms here have balconies and all have a nice view.
3 Thank DeeandRendell
Dear Guest,
The honey moon is most times the most special trip for a couple in their life as such. Great to hear your first time in Cuba and at the Mojito was excellent. The real details, those that make you breath are taken care by our staff from who we are very proud and we appreciate you have mentioned them. As we have always said. We keep on working on improvements in all spheres.
Once again, we thank you for your considerations and are looking forward to seeing you sometime in the near future to share and enjoy with the Iberostar Mojito’s team. We will not spare efforts to make your next visit always better than your previous one.
Quebec City, Canada
Reviewed 27 November 2013

Good value quality-price; the room was just renovated and clean ; beautiful pool; we can walk at least an hour long on the beach;the meal are ok generaly; special mention: the grilled fish at the buffet was absolutely delicious with different choice every day; the staff was helpfull. Be prepared It's a long way from

6 Thank adil l
Dear Guest,
Good to hear you are among the great amount of guests who have enjoyed their holidays in our resort and we are working all the time to make it better despite all difficulties we may have with supplies. It seems to be you wanted to say a few more words since we see your review did not get to the end. Anyways we are always here to listen to your comments and suggestions.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cayo Coco
Memories Flamenco Beach Resort
Pullman Cayo Coco
Pullman Cayo Coco
#2 of 12 in Cayo Coco

Been to Iberostar Mojito? Share your experiences!