“Great little resort!”

Ranked #8 of 12 Hotels in Cayo Coco
Montreal, Canada
“Great little resort!”
Reviewed 13 May 2014

Wonderful bang for your buck, better than than the cheapest 4 stars in Cayo Coco.
The beach is MAGNIFICENT, better than the fabled Pillar Beach in my opinion. Quiet waters, low sea levels, there is a little reef close where you can see fishes. At low tide pools of waters are created which becomes warm and traps tropical fishes that you can see swimming all around you, great white sands. Like a dream.
I found the food better than average 3 or 4 stars in Cuba: lots of fresh fruit and veggies, a pasta bar and a grill where your choice of meat or seafood is cooked right before you.
Mixed drinks are pretty good where they have mixers for daiquiris and margaritas.
Rooms are standard, I got an older one near the discotheque and requested a change and the new one was quite satisfactory. I enjoyed the adult pool where there is no music and no children swimming but there is a bigger pool with music and games.
Beware: there are lots of mosquitoes all over Cayo Coco and yes, this resort includes a lagoon which contributes to proliferation of mosquitoes. Be prepared.
Take the glass-bottom boat and go snorkel at the barrier reef: it is very cheap (20 or 25 CUC), very close and OUT OF THIS WORLD, you can see tropical fishes and corals like in documentaries on TV.
I have booked my second stay at this hotel and intend to make it my special place each time I want to relax and unwind in Cayo Coco.

Room Tip: Buildings around the main pool & adult pool are newer, those at the outskirt of the resort bear...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
4 Thank Annie P
Director Genera... I, Manager at Iberostar Mojito, responded to this review, 18 May 2014
Dear guest:

Thanks a lot for sharing with us your experience during your stay at Iberostar Mojitos. It is satisfying to know you have enjoyed our services & you have decided to come once more for your next holidays.
It is true we are blessed with the beauty of our beach & fauna; it is a dream come true for many of our guests.
We hope to welcome you soon & please feel free to contact us prior your visit.

Online reputation manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (604)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Barrie, Canada
Reviewed 13 May 2014

Let me start by saying, this was my sister's wedding - and the entire reason why were went on vacation. Where to begin...We just got back last wednesdat - we were at the Iberostar (ya right, hardly holds up to their name) Mojito April 29th-May 6th 2014. I will start with poo lagoon (as I called it) the stagnant lagoon from the pool to the beach - where the a la cart restaurants and the cigar lounge are located, if you haven't lost your appetite yet, I applaud you. It's rancid and you can see the feces being dumped into the "lagoon". Next - upon check in my husband and I received a room with a broken air conditioner - returned to the front desk to ask for a new room, we were told the resort was full and they made another guest in our party swap rooms with us, and that was the resolution. The air conditioner was still not fixed by Friday (day 3) when I brought a series of complaints to "management" - the manager never seemed to be around so I spoke to "supervisors" (who blamed me for all the problems which we had encountered) Sunday night - 30 people in our group were drinking in the lobby when they went to go to the disco (it was midnight, the disco should have been more that available) to their surprise the lights were on and staff were drinking and told them the disco was closed. When approached at the front desk, the lady working gave a confused look, checked her watch and replied "no, it is open" made a phone call and came back to tell everyone sorry, no one was in the disco after the magic show so they closed. Are you joking me????? Closed?? We then said that maybe the staff shouldn't be in there drinking if we can't go in and dance. Couldn't swim, go to the beach, go to the disco, and ALL food was closed, we were offered (annoyed I might add) that someone could be found to make a grilled ham sandwich (and that was it, not even fries) We were basically forced to retire for the night as security was on us and following our every step like we were criminals. The ONLY good thing I can say about this resort was Ariel the wedding coordinator. He was pleasant, and helped make my sister's day memorable. As for the rest of the trip...ughh, I believe we all deserve voucher's to stay and enjoy a real Iberostar, not this garbage. truly, TRULY disappointed. The beach and the pool were "nice". Food was what to expect in Cuba, if anyone was willing to cook or take your order. The staff was braisen enough to ask my sister for her wedding dress, and veil for their own wedding, staff was forceful asking for personal items ie: sunglasses, flip flops etc. Bring bug spray, the bugs are so bad (especially around the restaurant over poo lagoon) - The beds are awful, the pillows are like bowling balls. The entertainment staff drank and partied with us quite a bit and were very friendly. Save your money and go elsewhere - please!

5 Thank Genny C
Dear Guests,
We thank you for having chosen our resort to spend your holidays.
We really regret receiving such a discouraging review on your side showing that you did not enjoy your stay at all. There are some views we do not share with you such as the lagoon. This is a natural salt water lagoon and it communicates with the ocean underground. The rooms inside the lagoon have been closed for 2 years minimum. All the sewage from the hotel goes through pipes to an oxidation lagoon, where it is treated, a few kms away from the hotel, so no feces are dumped there and its smell is natural, characteristic from its vegetation.
We do have an air conditioning report from you, but it is improbable that a staff member make you switch rooms with another guest from your group. As far as we understand, you did not like to have a room separated from other member of your group. We apologize for the air conditioner situation.
We have never closed the disco in the resort, and let alone with more than 200 guests. We will check this, because if it really happened it should not have. Entertainer are allowed to drink nonalcoholic drinks. If they or whoever worker is drinking alcohol, he/she can be punished.
We are glad to hear you categorize the wedding as successful and will let Ariel and all the other staff who work on it.
We gave you and a few other rooms a free late check-out till 6:00p.m. and made extra a la carte reservations for many in the group as well.

Kind Regards,

Calgary
Reviewed 10 May 2014

Our first trip to Cuba, and to the Iberostar Mojito, April 26 to May 6, 2014, was a blast! We had a very relaxing 10-day stay. This a rather exhaustive review, so for those of you that don’t like reading, let me summarize by saying that the Mojito is very good value, with good food, an amazing beach, nice pools, good entertainment, clean facilities, and great staff. For details, read on.

My impression is that In Cuba, a 4 star resort is equivalent to a 2.5 or 3 star almost anywhere else. They just don’t have access to the materials, food, and amenities that other resorts do. Having said that, everyone at the Mojito works very hard to provide their guests with top-notch service and a relaxing, fun-filled vacation. The staffare very friendly, and made us feel welcome right from the time we arrived. Alex the pool server, Vladimir the gardener, Liz in entertainment/activities, and (Fettucine) Alfredo at the gym, were a delight to get to know.

The resort itself is only a short drive from the airport. It’s very clean, the grounds are well cared for, the rooms are spacious, and despite the dated bathroom fixtures, we never ran out of hot water or had plumbing problems. Our unit was near the main pool, and noise wasn’t an issue at night. The air conditioning was very quiet and worked extremely well. I never saw any insects in our room. The bar fridge was a nice touch, and our housekeeper kept it well stocked with Cristal beer, bottled water, and the Cuban version of Diet Coke. The bed was comfortable, but the pillows were a bit too hard and puffy for my liking. Bring your own if you prefer a flatter, thinner pillow. Camping pillows are great; comfortable for sleeping on, and compact enough to use on the plane, at the beach or by the pool.

The beach is fantastic. The sand is like icing sugar, very clean and absent of shells and debris; the water is warm and amazingly clear, and the slope is so gentle, you can walk out for 75 meters and still stand up. There is a wood structure along the beach that provides shade, and there are plenty of beach chairs (without padding), but in order to get a chair in the shade you have to “reserve it” with an item of clothing or a beach towel no later than 6:45 AM. Yes, the towel game is played here every day. Another issue is the lack of washrooms at the beach; there was one near the north end but it was closed our entire stay. The resort has a water sports facility on the beach that provides Hobie Cats, kayaks and pedal boats free of charge (if it’s not too windy), and they will take you to the nearby reef for an hour of snorkeling for $20 CUC on a Hobie Cat or $25 CUC on a glass bottom boat. The reef was excellent, with lots of fish and neat coral formations. We walked a long ways down the beach in both directions, and I can tell you that the Mojito has the best beach of any resort in the area.

My wife is allergic to mosquitoes, and was bitten 5 or 6 times, but she didn’t react much to the bites….thank goodness. We had no problems with sand flies at all, and we were often at the beach at sunrise and sunset. On our way to the beach and back we often spotted several types of fish in the north side of the lagoon, as well as crabs and jellyfish.

We heard so many people say the food in Cuba is substandard….but the reviews on TA for this resort were pretty good….and we would agree. Sure, things like peanut butter, berries, decent ketchup, thick yogurt, relish and mayo were lacking….but you’re not at home, and all in all, the food was quite good. The servers were very pleasant and efficient. The buffet tables could have been bussed a bit faster though; sometimes it was hard to find a table because they still had dirty cutlery, dishes, and cups on them. The grill was a popular place to get fish, pork, chicken and beef cooked to your liking. The pasta bar was a big hit, with lots of interesting ingredients available, and the pancake/crepe/French toast bar was a great breakfast option. There is only one buffet (Los Portales), divided into two distinct areas, but we never had to wait for a table. The servers and people at the grills really appreciate it if you can spare a tip for the good service, but it’s not an expectation. The burgers and fries at the snack bar, La Sirena, were pretty good. Unfortunately, there are a lot of birds in the open area there that will try to steal your food, so be cautious.

There are two a la carte restaurants at the resort, with one (El Gallo, across from the Cigar Lounge) offering alternating International and Italian cuisine, the other (El Malecon, on the main walkway to the beach over the lagoon) offering gourmet cuisine and soft piano music. Each has 4 sittings: 6:30, 7:30, 8:30, and 9. We found the Italian disappointing; honestly, you could get a better meal at the pasta bar at the buffet. The International cuisine was better, and the Gourmet was excellent….well worth going. Be sure to book at the courtesy desk early in your stay to ensure you get a table.

There is a double decker bus that costs 5 CUC for the day andmakes several runs to Pilar beach, which is a very worthwhile excursion. The bus stops at every resort on the way to Pilar, so it takes about 90 minutes to get there. At the beach there is a restaurant that serves excellent fresh seafood; a grilled lobster tail is 15 CUC or about $18 CDN. There is also a water sports facility that will take you out to the reef for an hour of snorkeling for $25 CUC. You can rent a beach chair (in the shade if you get there early enough) for 2 CUC for the day.

As for entertainment, we were really impressed with the talent of the performers that sang and danced every night. Their shows are excellent. The water ballet on Wednesday night was beautiful. The highlight for us, though, was the Cigar Lounge band called Tahiti. They play every weeknight, starting about 9:30, and for a band of local musicians, they are exceptional. They have a limited repertoire of English songs, but deliver them with lots of energy. Their 25 year old guitarist, Cele, is simply phenomenal…..kind of like a cross between Stevie Ray Vaughan and Carlos Santana. For you music lovers out there, they could really use a new set of skins for their Yamaha drums….theirs are duct taped, which is pretty sad. 12” and 13” skins would be most welcome, and Cele could use some 10 gauge electric guitar strings, any brand. I told them I would put the word out on Trip Advisor, so if anyone is able to help, they would be most appreciative. The disco fires up at about 11 PM, and both nights we went, the place was almost empty. Don’t go there if you get migraines or suffer from seizures.

The pools were clean, the water was refreshing, and the drink service was very efficient. The towel game is very much in effect here as well; any lounge chairs in the shade will be claimed by 6:45 AM. It’s a good idea to bring an insulated mug for your drinks, as any liquid in a plastic cup gets warm very quickly. The adult pool is much quieter, with a small portable bar at one end, but beach chairs aren’t plentiful. One issue with both pool areas is that there is only one washroom in the entire pool/snack bar area (next to the stage) and it’s not the cleanest. There are nice washrooms in the resort lobby, but loos close to both pools would be very welcome.

There is a gym, which is air conditioned, with good quality Life Fitness cardio equipment. You must wear gym shoes and a shirt to get in; bare feet, sandals and flip-flops are not allowed. There are some free weights and benches, but no weight machines. I never saw anyone using the tennis courts or the hair dresser. We didn’t have children with us, so I can’t comment on the kids pool or the kids club.

There is a 20 CUC charge if you don’t turn in your beach towel at the end of your stay. I’m not sure if you would get a 20 CUC credit for every “found” towel you returned. That could be a lucrative business. Maybe that’s why a lot of people use personal articles of clothing like scarves and t-shirts to save beach chairs rather than towels. Internet service is available in the lobby for 6 CUC per hour. From what I heard it’s pretty slow, like dial-up….for those of you that remember.

And finally…tipping and gifts. 100 Canadian dollars gets you about 82 CUC (Cuban Convertible Pesos) in the resort Lobby. The average wage for a Cuban worker is about 400 Cuban pesos a month - which is equivalent to about 16 CUC. So one CUC is a reasonable tip….and you don’t have to tip every time. Remember though, that most of the tips are shared among the staff, unless you designate it to a specific individual. Housekeeping staff receive the most tips, followed by the bartenders, servers, gardeners, grill prep staff, and entertainment/activities personnel. Gifts are most welcome: gloves for the gardening staff, toothpaste, toothbrushes, Ibuprofen, Acetaminophen, coloring books, pencil crayons, crayons, clothing, cologne, perfume and after shave, razors, shave cream, sunscreen, mosquito repellent, shampoo, ball caps, sunglasses, clothing, chocolate, swimsuits, shoes, sandals….and anything else you might not need when you leave. You cannot bring suitcases full of items into Cuba to give away, or Customs will be chatting with you….and from what I saw, they aren’t a pleasant lot. The Cuban people don’t need your charity or your gifts to survive. However, being Canadian, we’re blessed with an abundance of things that we take for granted that are considered luxury items in Cuba. So please be generous. And enjoy your vacation at the Mojito!

Room Tip: Ground floor units have patios. 2nd and 3rd floor units, with the exception of a few buildings, don...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
12 Thank donnyawesome
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for this wonderful review where you talked about all the services of the resort. You did not miss anything and this will be helpful for other clients who would like to choose Iberostar Mojito as their holiday destination.
It is true that here sometimes we lack some material items, mostly because they are not available from our suppliers. We are a blocked country, but the warmth and willingness of all the workers plus their great service would make you feel like in Paradise. Our staff will always walk the extra mile.

We are working on a daily basis to make our resort more beautiful and more comfortable.
Thank you once again.

Kind regards,

Saskatoon, Canada
Reviewed 8 May 2014

I'll start off by saying that we visit this resort every year and have experienced the very best and worst it had to offer over the years. Iberostar is doing a great job of making improvements each year since they assumed mananagement of the resort.

Offering food on the beach again finally and having washrooms nearby was much needed and nice to see it there now. The band in the Cigar Lounge is fantastic as you can tell by all the wonderful reviews. My only suggestion is that they start earlier or play later but basically play more. The other issue that I have and has always been an issue is make sure you stock plenty of Cristal Beer. The Buckanaroo is not great and most guests I encouter say the same thing. The Cristal is only 2 cents more so spend the money and make the guests happy.

Something still needs to be done with the buffet, it's much too small to accomodate the hotel when it's near full capacity. The food there is great but the line ups and overall noise and activity make it a chore.

The staff as always is why those like myself keep returning so it's nice to see all the familar faces still there year after year. I would like to especially thank Marilus for helping us out this year. It was my first time meeting her but she went above and beyond to make our stay enjoyable. We met so many new people from all over Canada this trip. As one poster commented it felt like a family and you recognized faces everywhere you went and could stop and talk or have a drink together.

Some nice future touches might be a sports bar and additional restaurants. Another addition would be a wine bar with some international selections possibly part of the cigar bar. The selection you have is very limited and the wines are not great. If you want to sell more wine bring in wines people enjoy. Other resorts in Cuba do this very well with great success. However, I'm confident that Iberostar will continue to make improvements over the coming years that will bring new guests to the hotel and keep the repeaters coming back. Listen to the feedback guests are giving you and things can only get better.

We stayed in building 18 next to the main pool and buffet. It's a great location if you like everything really close.

Room Tip: Look at a map if you can find one on-line. Everyone has a different preference for location so what...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank NewBrunswickChuck
Director Genera... I, Manager at Iberostar Mojito, responded to this review, 17 May 2014
Dear guest,
Iberostar aims to provide to our beloved guests an excellent service so they can “enjoy being a Star” & the feedback from your review is more than welcome. Also we would like to thank you for your fidelity over the years in choosing our hotel Iberostar Mojito & we will share with Mariluz & the whole staff who have helped towards making your holiday special, this positive review.
We hope to see you soon, remember you are our family guest at this resort and we are happy always to give you a welcome back & for sure we will keep getting better.
Thanks once more.
Reviewed 7 May 2014 via mobile

It was was first time to this resort and won't be my last. It is well maintained, the staff is amazing! ... all the way from the room to the pool and/or beach. The dining is very good!... Breakfast, lunch and dinner. I will be back next year for sure!

A special thanks to Alex for his service from and around the pool bar!

Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
6 Thank Chad J
Dear guest
We are pleased to read your positive review about our resort, on behalf of all the hotel staff & particularly the manager we would like to thank you for choosing us & recommending Iberostar Mojito. Thanks once more for the appreciation of our services. We will always congratulate Alex who helped us make your holiday a memorable experience.
We look forward to seeing you again at Iberostar Mojito.
St. John's, Canada
Reviewed 6 May 2014

I really loved this resort. Not only was it absolutely beautiful, it was clean and very well maintained. All of the staff was incredibly friendly and helpful, the food was fantastic and the beach was breathtaking. I felt very safe and very much at home there and I would certainly go back there any time.

Room Tip: There is a lagoon to cross to get to the beach so try to get a room close to there or the main pool.
3 Thank Leanne S
Dear guest,
On behalf of our staff & the hotel manager we would like to thank you for recommending our resort. We are delighted with your words of joy; I felt very safe & very much at home; excellent words to describe a marvelous holiday.
Thank you very much & we hope to see you back at Iberostar.
Fondest Greetings,
Cape Breton Island, Canada
Reviewed 5 May 2014

This was our 2nd trip to this resort and we will be returning again next yr. The resort is clean, food great and the staff, especially the ground keepers, bar tenders, go out of there way to help you. The cigar lounge with the live band is a very pleasant addition. we had a group of 14 and I,m sure that will increase next yr. A special thank you to FREDDY the bar tender at the cigar lounge, and to all who made our visit a beautiful and relaxing time. All I can say, is check this place out, you won,t be disappointed. April 26th till May 3rd 2014

Room Tip: choose a room that is close to the pool area and dining facuality would be a good choice
1 Thank MickeyF180
Dear guest,
We would like to thank you for your fidelity choosing stay at the IBEROSTAR Mojitos Hotel for you Holiday. Your letter motivates us to continue improving our service & we will share with Freddy & the staff in general your review. Thanks again.
We hope to see you soon, remember you are our family guests and we are happy always to give you a welcome back.
Best Wishes,
Memories Flamenco Beach Resort
Pullman Cayo Coco
Pullman Cayo Coco
#2 of 12 in Cayo Coco

Been to Iberostar Mojito? Share your experiences!