“AMAZING EXPERIENCE, NO MOSQUITOS, VERY FRIENDLY!”
Review of Iberostar Mojito

Iberostar Mojito
Ranked #8 of 12 Hotels in Cayo Coco
GTA, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
“AMAZING EXPERIENCE, NO MOSQUITOS, VERY FRIENDLY!”
Reviewed 22 April 2009

This being our first family vacation and first stay at an all-inclusive resort, I will admit we don't have anything to compare it to first hand. However, we read reviews, and some being good others being bad, we decided to go because it appeared as though the bad reviews were based on high expectations from a country that has different amenities and standards than North America. We are from Toronto, Canada.

My husband, myself and 2 kids (5 months, 5yrs) stayed at this resort from April 14-21. We booked through Air Miles (Transat Holidays) and upgraded to the Emporador Suite. We requested a non-smoking room on the main floor (due to having a stroller and not wanting to take the stairs when it could be avoided), and those requests were met. Our room was ready at check-in (processed quickly and efficiently), we noticed in our information package that all of our a-la-cartes were pre-booked with the exception of VIP (probably because it was adults only and we had kids). When we went to book our 5th a-la carte in exchange for the VIP, we were told we could go to the VIP with the kids (we assumed because the resort was not very busy at that time). All of our reservations were pre-booked for 6pm, with the exception of one, for 8:15pm.

OUR ROOM
- Our room was very spacious (with a little living room which could be closed off from the bedroom, and full bathroom (tub w/shower).
- Room was clean, being on the ground floor I was a bit nervous about little bugs making their way into the room, that was not an issue. Saw 1 spider and 2 little beetle things which my husband got rid of during the course of our stay and on a couple occasions when my son dropped crumbs on the floor we saw a few ants which were easy enough to just wipe up, and they didn't return unless there were more crumbs.
- Our maid changed the linens (bed sheets and all towels) everyday regardless of us keeping them hung.
- She always left the room very clean, and we showed our appreciation with a daily tip, and on a couple occasions a little item to go with the tip.
- A/C worked nicely, but didn't feel the need for it much, only when it got stuffy, as we enjoy the heat.
- Toilet worked flawlessly, and maid always made sure there was enough toilet paper.

POOL/BEACH TOWELS
Never had any theft issues, and never noticed that the towels were in real bad shape. They always had towels to swap, we could swap as many times a day as needed (we only swapped once a day), they didn't need to be returned by a certain time each day either.

POOL/BEACH LOUNGERS
It must not have been a busy time that we went, because there were ALWAYS LOTS OF LOUNGERS available poolside and at the beach. The little shaded huts at the beach were always taken because people woke up early to reserve those spots with a towel. We read reviews on that (seems to happen at all inclusives everywhere), but we are not the kind of people to stoop so low such as to reserve something that we will not be using at that time. If it was available when we were ready to use it, great. If not, oh well. It sucked a bit because it would have been nice to keep the baby out of the sun as much as possible, but there was no way I was going to reserve it and keep somebody else from using it, as perhaps they too may have a baby they'd wish to keep out of the sun. We think it's absolutely ridiculous that resorts even allow people to reserve loungers and/or shady spots when not in use.

FOOD
I am an extremely picky eater, and I was so worried that I packed a whole bunch of snacks for our stay (and was quite disappointed when we exceeded our luggage limit when weighing at home, and had to remove them ALL. I thought I was going to starve there, after hearing so many people say the food in Cuba has little to no flavour, etc.
I was quite surprised to enjoy the foods there. Again, I'm picky so I didn't even try a lot of foods there as I wouldn't eat them here either, but I found things that I ate tasty enough and never felt I was unsatisfied after a meal except with some of the a-la cartes, but that was only because I couldn't find anything on the menus I was willing to try because I'm so picky. The steak at the VIP restaurant was really yummy! They had plenty of bread, which I'm a fan of, and their breakfast croissants were really tasty (though Baguette still has the best croissants ever!).

CLEANLINESS
Resort was very clean - garbages were in sight everywhere we were except the beach. In other reviews people said the lagoon stunk. It DOESN'T stink. There is a slight nature smell to it, but at times we did smell a foul odor around the resort, and we believed this to be due to how they deal with sewage there. Sometimes the smell escapes, you smell it but you pass through it quick enough, not a big deal at all. We only noticed it on occassion when walking. Never smelt it by the eateries, nor near the lagoon, or near our room. Pools were clean.

ENTERTAINMENT
Nightly mini disco for kids, and dance shows for adults (safe for the whole family). Dancers are quite good, and our son had a blast every night up on stage for the kids show. Lots of beach and pool games.

LOCATION
Weather was extremely nice! 2/7 days it was too windy for the pedal boats/kayaks etc, but it wasn't too windy to go in the ocean, and although it was windy, the breeze wasn't too cold, and the sun seemed hotter than normal those days whenever the wind was calm. Never had any issues of sand blowing around at the beach.

INSECTS
NO MOSQUITOS (I've heard this is due to Cayo Coco being breezier than other areas of Cuba). There are some tiny, tiny flies (smaller than fruit flies) which we noticed bit us (except for baby) a couple of times (maybe 3 or 4 times each during the whole stay). Sometimes they were a little itchy, other times not.

TIPS
We tipped the maids on a daily basis, tipped the waitstaff for lunch and dinner each time we ate. We'd tip the a-la-carte staff and if we ate again at buffet that night, even if we just grabbed one tihng. Basically as long as we sat down, we tipped the waitstaff. We also tipped the guys who would cook food to order, as well as bartenders even though it was mostly for juice or pop since we aren't big drinkers. We tipped the guys at La Sirena (24hr snackbar) when we'd order food or drinks there, pretty much on a daily basis, and made sure the night crew got tips in addition to the day crew, since were were there both times. We tipped the gardeners as they would bring shells and little things made out of palm leaves and coconuts for the kids. We also took little items there for the people, mainly stuff for kids, which I'm sure they'd put to good use. Things like little toys for the kids (those happy meal toys), hair clips and barrettes for girls, frisbies, skipping ropes etc.

EXCURSIONS
- My husband and son enjoyed the horseback riding. We didn't do any others, because we traveled with an infant and preferred to keep her on the resort. We were also very limited as to what she could do - couldn't go on any water excursions as there is no life jacket for her size.

THINGS TO CONSIDER TAKING WITH YOU:
-Cooler type mugs or bottles that allow for keeping drinks cool, and can carry more than one little plastic cup full, as you can drink out the plastic cup in a few sips.
-Maple Syrup - for pancakes as they don't have any.
-Jam - if you want it for toast at breakfast.
-Hot Sauce - we didn't feel it was needed but if you're someone who puts it on everything you eat, then you'll want it.
- Kleenex - you won't find any there in the hotel rooms.
- If travelling with a baby on formula, carry your own distilled water, as the bottled water is just bottle water, it's not been boiled to be considered sterile for mixing with formula. We carried our own and it worked out great!

We had a wonderful time, and would go back there in a heartbeat. The staff are all very friendly, everyone says hello, the resort is beautiful - the pictures the travel agencies show don't do it justice! We thought the lagoon was beautiful, and stopped EVERY TIME we passed it to look in the water and look for different types of fish and jellyfish. With talking to other vacationers during our stay, we heard that other resorts are more man built and it sounded like a lot of the nature is taken out, whereas this one has left a lot of the nature there, which we truly enjoyed being around. Perhaps it's the difference between Cayo Coco and other areas of Cuba, I don't know.

I hope you find this review helpful, even if in a small way.

12 Thank Laserbluechic

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (604)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Sheffield
Reviewed 21 April 2009

After reading many reviews we were expecting this place to be the pits. If we had not been travelling in a large group for a wedding we would most certainly cancelled. That would have been a big mistake. We have had the most wonderful relaxing holiday ever!! Clear blue sky, friendly staff, perfect wedding. Our maid Oddety block 40 Emperador side was so pleasant, our room was cleaned daily, clean towels, fresh bedding and as much bottled water as we wanted. We never felt under any pressure to tip (we did take out rubber gloves and toiletries for the maid but we didnt give them until the end of our stay) but still our room was kept clean. I have never seen anyone close to tears when given gifts and money but our maid was. She was so grateful, we dont realise how lucky we are!

The beach was perfect, seaweed cleaned off every day, sun loungers did have to be reserved early if you wanted any shade though. Its a pity that some people who reserved loungers under the shade did not show up all day but did come to collect their belongings and Canadian flags about 4.30pm.
Beach bar ran out of beer on a few occasions but after filling bucket sized cooler mugs its not surprising. The bar staff should I feel fill a plastic cup like the ones we used and tip that into these buckets, if they want any more then they should have to go back as we did!! Oh and please and thank you would be nice, not just beer!

No compaints about any of the restaurants, good service always. Good choice of food,always something to take your fancy. Fresh cooked omelettes every morning served with a smile what more could you want.

The wedding was perfect the bride and groom had absolutely no stress, it was planned to perfection they even had a choice of location and restaurant.

Please take all negative comments with a pinch of salt and give it a try. We all enjoyed it and there were 26 in our party

• Stayed April 2009
6 Thank onthebeach14
Toronto, On
Reviewed 21 April 2009

This was my first time to Cuba and I have to say our trip was just amazing from beginning to end. Our room view was breath taking. The food very good, especially the cuban restaurant. The steak house is very good as well. The pools so... refreshing got to luv those pool bars. Be sure to tip your servers well you'll get the best service. Overall we found that the resort treated us very well. I will be taking my whole family with me next March. I can't wait to get back there...I miss it already. Oh ya we met so many great people and made some really great friends that we plan on going away with again to Cuba. Enjoy your and keep smiling.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with friends
5 Thank Happytorontogirl
pebmarsh, essex
Reviewed 20 April 2009

My husband, son (7yrs) and myself stayed at this hotel for 2 weeks over the easter holiday. We had a fantastic time, after booking the holiday on late deal and then reading the reviews on this website, i was ready to cancel, my husband then suggested i should take the reviews with a pinch of salt. I am so glad i did, yes the flight was long and tedious, People had suggested that Cuban customs can be intimidating, i was more intimated going to New York. The hotel was about 20mins away and check-in was a breezer, we stayed on the Emporador side and had a living room, bedroom and bathroom, right by the pool which we had requested. The hotel is fine, the staff were fantastic and we never waited very long for a drink, my husband tipped quite well, so that may have something to do with it. All of the staff were lovely, the gardeners gave my son animals that they had made out of palm leaves and they always said hello. Wilbars Flair bar was our best discovery and we went there everynight. The beach is amazing, i couldn't get my son and husband out of it. I will definately be going again very soon.

6 Thank kirstym123
Canada
Reviewed 19 April 2009

We were at this resort April 2-9. Have to admit that I was a tad hesitant after reading the reviews and am pleased to say that we had an amazing trip to Cayo Coco & Krystal Resort.

We (my husband, I, and our daughter 5yr) stayed at the Emerador half of the hotel and had a pretty nice room with a separate living area and a big bathroom with really plush robes. Everything was very clean and we never had any insect issues. I will say that this was not our first room. The first one took three sets of keys to get into and once we did get in it was still dirty from the previous guests. With our booking on the Emerador side we received a welcome gift of a package coffee and a bottle of rum and five dinner reservations including one at the VIP restaurant, and our mini bar was stocked with beer, soft drinks and water each day. We didn`t have to pay for our safe either. Also our wrist bands were a different colour.

Food was way better than I had expected. We were always able to find something tasty to eat and both my daughter (5 yrs) and my husband can be fussy. I would suggest taking maple/pancake syrop as this was not available. We also brought along ketchup and peanut butter (as suggested in other posts) but never used them. Only issues we had were at breakfast one morning. We went later that normal (say 930am) and it was very busy and food was running low. What they replenished with was not thoroughly cooked (raw bacon & sausages). But other than that everything was fine. You have to remember that you aren't in Canada and food will be prepared a little differently. Also in Cuba supplies may run out and you will have to wait until the next shipment arrives.

Pools were fantastic. Always lougers available. They do run a few activities at the pool during the day - mostly aqua fit. More things are run on the Laguna side. They have a DJ at the pool playing music all day. Great swim up bar. You can also get a poolside massage.

The beach was breath taking! The softest sand ever! The beaches a cleaned every morning to remove and seaweed. One complaint though - people reserve their chairs very early. I say reserve but what they really do is leave their towels or stuff on them all day; often not showing up until after lunch. My husband went down one morning at 8am and all the loungers under the thatched shelters were already reserved. We did some water sports and swam a great a deal. No issues with jelly fish. Several times a day man drives along the beach selling rum drinks in fresh coconuts. Well worth the 2 pesos and really yummy. Two beach bars to get drinks from. We brought our own insulated glasses - not because the glasses there were dirty but because they kept our drinks cooler longer. Did see a few people with gallon sized cooler glasses - gimme a break!

Our routine was breakfast, beach, lunch at the beach restaurant, then to the pool. Siesta, cocktails, dinner, then show. Repeat.

There are a few shops at both sides of the resort so you can get snacks, rum. cigars & souvenirs. bring lots of sun screen - I bought some for $23.75 pesos which equalled $30 Canadian!

BEAWARE - there are no ATM's and the convertable Cuban peso costs more than the Canadian dollar. $500 Canadian bought us $350 convertable pesos. Using your VISA or M/C is really expensive. Bring lots of cash.

One last thing - for parents who think that they might use the kid's mini club. While we were there it never seemed to be open.

If you have old children`s clothes bring them. The locals are greatful for whatever gifts you leave but seem to really need/appreciate children's clothes, toys, shoes and school supplies.

A great trip and we would go back the Krystal Laguna Villas & Resort.

5 Thank iamjennybird
guelph
Reviewed 12 April 2009

This was our third trip to Cuba but first time in Cayo Coco.
The length of time from the airport to the hotel was less than 20 minutes. We arrived on Saturday at the hotel around 10:30 to 10:45am. The room that we had requested wasn't available. They had no record of our request for a non-smoking room. That , I think is more the fault of the booking agent then the hotel's. All the rooms are designated smoking. They simply spray the walls with cleaner for those who request non-smoking ahead of time.
While others from our flight got their room by noon or even right away, we did not get ours until 4pm. Right away we could tell the hotel staff were not going to be much help and it was quite evident through out our stay, too.
There was no water when we got up the next day, Sunday, in our building,19, and there were several complaints from other bulidings as well. The front desk could not find the key for our room safe (we didn't have a modern electronic keypad safe) By noon on Sunday we still didn't have water and no new safe as we were promised by the front desk.
After our orientation meeting with our Sun Wing rep the next morning our complaints about the lack of water and the length of time to get our room, upon arrival, went straight to the front desk. Henry, our Sun Wing rep. was fantastic! He will always go the extra mile to ensure Sun Wing patrons are treated the best. He got us a free upgrade from a standard room to the villas. These are the bungalos over the water and are the top of the line rooms in the hotel.
Our cleaning staff were helpful and friendly but we noticed the restaurant staff were simply untrained in customer service. There seemed to be a total lack of supervision or leadership to ensure prompt service. We have been to many all inclusives in the Caribean and this hotel's service was simply lacking in most regards. The wine and beer were about the only drinks we had that tasted like they had alcohol. I'd swear the mixed drinks were shirley temples.
The Friday night before we left our hotel closed the main buffet room for lunch and dinner. We didn't get a notice that this was going to happen! We were, however, able to share the Emperador's facility next door as the two hotels share the same property. Their food was better any way.
We found out late in the week that the Krystal Laguna was going to be closed down within the next couple of weeks for maintenance. Make a note of this when looking at prices since there will only be one choice for food.
If it wasn't for the beautiful weather, nice beach and our Sun Wing representative it would have been a disappointing trip.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank galloper23
Moncton
Reviewed 12 April 2009

I had heard from various persons that this was a good place to visit, however the negative reviews I kept reading had me worried until we arrived on site.

We stayed on the Emperador side in unit 45.

The staff was very nice, offered great service and always made an effort to go the extra mile.

The buffet was good and always had something to offer for everyone. French toasts, pancakes, omelettes on demand, eggs and GREAT BREAD(I'm not kidding on this one!!!) in the morning.

Fish, chicken, pork chops, cooked on the grill at your request. Pizza and pasta made with the ingredients of your choosing for lunch. The pizza was GREAT as well. Arcivelio who worked the pancake\french toast station in the morning is working the pizza\pasta station for lunch, and this guy was simply the best.. Nice and smiling every time..

Diner at the buffet was also good with similar stuff found at lunch, but with more variable dishes to help out everyone.

Did I mention the 24 hour grill where you could get ham and cheese sandwiches, hamburgers, pizza and more importantly... POUTINES!!!! great tasting poutines at that...

The "a la carte" restaurants were also great. We tried the VIP, Steakhouse, Italian and Cuban ones, and enjoyed every single one of them.

The rooms were clean and the cleaning staff was extremely friendly (as was the rest of the staff).

The only comment I can offer for improvement is that a fresh coat of paint on everything would go a long way. The grounds could use a bit more water, but were very clean and honestly, I didn't go there to sit on the lawn.. but rather on the Beach.

AAAAAAAhhhh the beach.. B-E-A-U-T-I-F-U-L !!! White sand all around (the sand was never too hot to walk on like it is in the Dominican Republic).

If you go, please visit Wilbur's Flair Bar from 7pm to 11pm.. Wilbur will keep you entertained with his spinning bottles and ice tricks.

We had a great time and would go back without hesitation in the future. When we go down south, we are mainly looking to spend time on the beach and to relax. This resort definitively allowed us to do that.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
Memories Flamenco Beach Resort
Pullman Cayo Coco
Pullman Cayo Coco
#2 of 12 in Cayo Coco

Been to Iberostar Mojito? Share your experiences!