“Wonderful Tryp”
Review of TRYP Cayo Coco

TRYP Cayo Coco
Ranked #7 of 12 Hotels in Cayo Coco
Reviewed 5 July 2011

We read hundreds of reviews prior to our vacation and all of the information (both good and bad) was quite valuable - so thanks to all of the other writers who put in their two cents!
Our vacation was fabulous. The beach is absolutely stunning, crystal clear all the way. Aqua marine colour with gentle waves and soft white sand. I enjoyed many afternoons in the shade at the ocean just relaxing. Afternoon is the best time to go to the beach - way less people (i think they all go for a late lunch). No need to reserve any shade/loungers if you go in the afternoon but if you feel so inclined and need a guarantee i suppose you could take the time out in the morning to try to reserve - i never had to. Husband loved the water too. Not much of a water person but something about this beach and its beauty enticed him to reconsider.
Our hotel room was in Block 2, room 232 - very spectacular view of the ocean. spent a lot of the evenings on our balcony - figured it was the best seat in town! Parents traveled with us so it was us two couples and they loved it as well. Room clean and thats all that mattered to us. Our room was so close to the end of the resort and conviently close to the small pizza hut place by the beach so it was quite convenient to grab a spot under the shade within a stones throw of our balcony and close to some facilities as well - in case we didnt want to walk the short distance back to our room. A quieter end of the resort which is what i requested. We all got the VIP package - Strongly recommended - so many little extras for a very small additional fee.
Hotel staff went above and beyond! Yanet in Client Services was absolutely amazing and so was the entire Tryp team. We tipped, but they all deserved it for sure. It was exceedingly hot - very very hot! so when we visit again (and we will be visiting again), we will aim for March i think.
Restaurants - The International was good (la Loma Azul). The Italian was FANTASTIC and for lunch we always ate at the BBQ hut by the beach (across from the far end of the main swimming pool). Excellent bbq chicken skewwers and an excellent server named Luisa!
Excursions - didn't do very much. we were really there to relax eventhough we love new experience and information we tried to stay at the resort and lounge as much as possible. But inevitably we did go on a few excursions that we could not resist. Speed boat adveture with snorkle - Absolutely fabulous! drive your own speed boat, very well coordinated staff, great experience and the snorkling was in a long channel in the mangroves, very calm and relaxing, great fish. Aquavita Spa - ok everybody - YOU HAVE TO GO TO THE SPA!!!! no kidding. We all went, view is absolutely breathtaking. right on the edge of a rocky inlet with the most amazing blue water you will ever see! 49 pasos for 3 hrs of complete bliss -including a 30 min massage - WHAT?!! - DO IT.
Moron Plus - did not go but parents went and didn't enjoy it that much. It certainly depends on the people, what your interests are and what you think you'd like to do - so investigate the excursions, read reviews like mine, get the details, then decide.
This resort was fantastic, very friendly, wonderful staff that wend above and beyond. My parents have gone to Tryp about 10 yrs ago and wanted to go back this year to celebrate their 35 wedding anniversary. Guest services sent a bottle of sparkling wine to their room and also invited all 4 of us to a special luncheon for repeat guests - it was at the Loma Azul and was delicious - especially the dessert.
The quitet pool - also a nice area of the resort. didnt spend a lot of time there. was too busy doing nothing somewhere else, like by the ocean! but a beautiful pool with a bar right there.
The main pool - nice but not my scene during the day. nice for that crowd who likes the goings on about the resort, music, random microphone usage and spontanious games. I stayed at the beach during the day. BUT at night, we swam in the pool. No one else did this and i thought it was the strangest thing. here you have this giant, wonderful pool. the sun has dissappeared, the pool is gently lighted. Its the only way to possibly find some refreshing temperature. A lo of movies show night time pool parties so i never understood why no one else swam at night or was hanging around the pool at night - it would be such an awesome scene! their loss, it was great for us, no body else, very peaceful and refreshing just loved it.
Internet - best way to stay connected there is to pay 6 pasos for an hour (thats super cheap!) there is a little internet room with AC, you can go in, log on and your set.
I noticed not very many people mentioned anything about bugs and i tried to find out before i went. The mosquitos at the airport when we first arrived were unbelievable, seriously. We were afraid. But at the resort, not really anything to wirte about. In the late evening just when the sun goes down, but mosquitos get a little frisky but then - gone! we used some repellant but it wasn't very bad at all and was so short-lived that i don't think anyone really notices (could have something to do with the fact that its an ALL INCLUSIVE resort and by then perhaps no one is any condition to notice, lol).
Took tones of pics. was a fabulous trip. Will do it again for sure!
Special thanks to Jose Ramon (lobby bar) Fidel Escobar (buffet) Yanet (Guest Servces) Emerio (Loma Azul) and many others for making this trip especially wonderful!

Room Tip: Get VIP for oceanview - a must
15  Thank Lisa2Cents
AlbertoCayoCoco, Director General at TRYP Cayo Coco, responded to this reviewResponded 16 July 2011

Dear guest,

Thank you very much for your review. It is very nice to read the very good comments you made. It encourages us to keep working hard. Hope to see you here again.

Best regards,

Write a ReviewReviews (5,994)

Reviewed 5 July 2011

We have just returned from 2 weeks at the Tryp, we travelled as a family (6 adults and 2 kids) and we loved it!

The rooms are a little dated and the bathrooms could do with a revamp but they are spotlessly clean the hotel and grounds are lovely. The buffet can get a little bit boring for dinner but there is always something for everyone and the breakfast is amazing! Fidel, our breakfast waiter was fantastic and saved us our table of 8 every morning with fresh orange juice waiting for us as we sat down. We tried all the a la cartes and our personal favourites were the seafood and the oriental but all were lovely.

Bar service can be a little slow, but Liset in the lobby bar did her best to get to us as soon as she could and was great fun. The pool bar was always busy but the barman there worked hard all day.

The kids loved the kids disco every night and we all enjoyed watching the shows too. The entertainment team as a whole were fab and kept everyone laughing. Big thanks to Danny, Cecilia, Sandra & Steve for making the holiday so much fun. Also to Jordi in the Pizza restaurant on the beach - which was great fun and very lively!

All in all, we loved the Tryp and would definately recommend staying there and hope to go back very soon. Ciao ciao Mickey Mouse!

Room Tip: Take plenty of insect repellant!
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
4  Thank SJH1Essex_UK

Dear guest,

It is very nice to know that your family loved their stay among us. Thank you for your comments they are very nice and becomes in opportunities for improvements. Thanks for your recommendations and hope to see you here again.

Reviewed 4 July 2011

Just returned from a wonderful vacation at Tryp. This was my second time and I am already looking forward to returning. Beach stunning, buffet plentiful, evening shows were entertaining. Yes the rooms need upgrading but I wasn't in my room enough to actually let that bother me. So much to do and the beach is where I spent all my time. Met so many friendly people including guests and staff. The staff are warm and friendly and I miss them already. Made new friends and had a great time. Thank you to all the Tryp customer service team and staff of the resort. See you next year.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank sk8pro

Dear guest,

We are happy to find your comments here. Thank you for your loyalty. Hope to meet you next year.

Reviewed 3 July 2011

We stayed at the Tryp as part of a Cuban twin centre holiday and was pleasantly surprised at what a good hotel it is - considering some of the negative comments on here - which, in our experience, are generally unfounded.

The main pros of the resort are:
- It's clean and tidy - okay the rooms aren't up to The Ritz standard, but we didn't book The Ritz, we booked a four star in Cuba and bearing that in mind they were more than adequate and comfortable.
- Staff are generally friendly and willing to help - yes, there is a 'tipping culture' but you'll find a 1CUC (approx 75p) tip goes a long way. We found all the bar-tenders, gardeners, waiting staff and front desk staff were great - especially Niuyrs (buffet server) and Liset (lobby bar waitress), who would go out of their way for us. Of course there are some less than jolly staff, after all they're not robots, but our only bad experience was with our house-keeper who sadly, despite our attempts at conversation, ignored us everyday, didn't leave any drinking water, and was generally surly.
-The food was probably the best I've ever had at an all-inclusive - for example: fresh meat, pasta, eggs, pancakes cooked in front of you; fresh fruit and salad; fajitas; home-made pizza - and that's just the buffet restaurant. Compliments to the chef!
- The a la carte restaurants are good - great service in all the ones we visited (Italian, Oriental, Grill) and the food is tasty too. Book as soon as you get there though – they do get pretty busy.
- The swimming pools are clean and there is never a shortage of sun-loungers/ umbrellas - a major plus in my book for such a huge resort.
- Words cannot express just how beautiful the beach is - dazzling white sand and clear blue water. Stunning.

The main cons are:
- There are no toilets around the swimming pool areas/ beach (not that I could find anyway) and while our room wasn’t too far away, it was inconvenient.
- The a la carte’s need some soft background music to up the ambience.
- The entertainment shows (which we didn’t watch, but many people seemed to enjoy) seemed to play the same music in the same sequence every night – it got a tad frustrating as it’s the only music in the main lobby bar. After two weeks of the same jingle/ songs it really did begin to grate.
- The hotel coped admirably with the number of guests until a few days before our departure, when it really did take on more than it could handle. One server told us there were approx. 1,000 guests on site. The knock-on effect was that we had to queue for a table at breakfast/ lunch a few times but the staff and manager (who was extremely hands-on and helpful) did their absolute best to ease the situation. I think a learning point for the hotel is that while it may have the bedrooms to cope with such a swell of guests, it doesn’t have the dining/ seating facilities to cope when it’s almost fully booked.

The biggest gripe I had with the resort has nothing to do with the hotel/ staff etc but other travellers. I was astounded by the sheer greed and manners of some. Just to give some examples: people at the buffet were feral – pushing and shoving to get to the toaster/ ice cream etc; there were reports of guests stealing other guest’s towels (which cost 25 CUC to replace); my jaw physically dropped when I saw a man empty a whole bottle of cava (meant for a Buck’s Fizz at breakfast) into an over-sized flask and walk off leaving other guests without. Not the kind of people I enjoying spending two weeks with.

Other tips:
- If you don’t like mosquitos/ cockroaches/ crabs/ lizards etc then Cuba is not for you – they are indigenous to hot countries and you will find them in the resort. Pack some bug spray with Deet in.
- Get your mojitos (which are delicious) in early – the bar runs out of mint pretty quick as they are so popular.
- There is a pond in the middle of the resort, it’s not attractive but it didn’t smell (which other reviews have suggested).
- Make sure your luggage isn’t overweight when you fly home – they’re strict on weight allowances – the couple in front of us was charged 100 CUCs (aprrox £75) for an extra 5kg.
- There isn’t anything else on Cayo Coco other than hotels and so shopping is limited. No sign of pain-killers etc in Tryp’s little shop, so bring everything you might need from home.
- Get out of Cayo Coco and see the real Cuba – Thomas Cook does day-trips to nearby Moron and Havana. Cuba is amazing, so much more than just a beach, so go and explore it!

9  Thank AlanaBerkshire

Dear guest,

Thank you for your feed back. We consider it very helpful. We are glad knowing that you enjoy your stay here. Hope you will comeback.

Reviewed 30 June 2011

I enjoyed my trip at Tryp Caya Coco Hotel. The staffs are very friendly and funny. They all speak "fluently quebecer french", which is pretty funny. The beach is nice, the sand are whitish and pretty soft. The swimming pool is big, there's a show near the bar's pool around 3:30 pm, really intertaining. There's some nice show at night started from 8:30 pm until 10:30pm. There's only one animation staff that i actually didn't like, she plays the show for kids at 8:30 pm. I don't like her attitude with the kids, like she doesnt have the patient with them... The food wasn't fantastic, but for the "a la carte" ill suggest you to try ORIENTAL SUZOU restaurent, it was delicious.

I, also, went to the excursion to visit the town & the catamaran. It was pretty fun, it tooks around 2 hours to get to the town. (both excursion cost 135 pesos convertible). I'd suggest you to not buy any metal rings, bracelets at downtown, the color just went off easily. I bought a ring that changed his color already and i wore it only once.

We were lucky because It didn't rain at all since we got there, june 18th to 25th 2011. The room service was great, shouldn't expect something fancy since it's Cuba.

I'd suggest you to bring some medecine too such as tynanol, Imodium, after sunburn cream... and of course SUNCREAM and OFF!!! BECAUSE once u get OFF from the airplane, you might get 10 or more mosquito bite!!! so.. just put the OFF right when u get out of the plane!!

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
4  Thank MeowJanet8
ManagerTrypCayoCoco, Director General at TRYP Cayo Coco, responded to this reviewResponded 2 July 2011

Dear guest,

Thank you very much for your comments. Hope to see you again here.

Reviewed 29 June 2011

This was the first time my husband and I stayed at the Tryp.

Check in went smoothly and our room was ready on arrival. However, when we arrived at our room (335) we were extremely disappointed. This was not my first trip to Cuba and my husband is Cuban so we did not have huge expectations. THe bathroom looked like it hadn't been cleaned in months and the water pressure was terrible. If we turned off the air conditioner the room had a very strong smell. When I complained to guest services they were very quick to move us to another room (638) which was much better.

The rooms are old so try as they might the maids are not able to get them as clean as I would have liked. We were on the second floor so did not encounter any bugs in our room. The linens and towels were stained and or ripped. Again, not something we are accustomed to. For the prices charged by the hotel, new linens should be their number one investment.

As we are not beach people we only spent an afternoon at the beach. It is a beautiful beach.

We spent most of our time at the pool. It is very clean and lots of areas for shade.

The entertainment was great. We saw most of the shows during our two week stay.

The food was good. The buffet can get very repetitive. We mostly ate from the grills and not the pre-cooked food. The 24 hour snack bar was greatly appreciated as we missed the breakfast buffet most mornings.

We really enjoyed the a la carte restaurant Loma Azul. The food was fantastic and the staff was great.

As with anywhere, you have staff that work really hard and some that hardly work. I found most of the staff to be very hard working and accomodating.

Would I return? I'm not sure.

4  Thank C-Lo1707

Dear guest,

We sincerely offer apologies for the inconveniences you faced during your stay. We thank you for your comments. A new visit may give you the chance to experience the changes we are working on to improve our services. Hope to meet you here again.

Reviewed 27 June 2011

My wife and I stayed in Tryp Cayo Coco from June 18 - 25/2011. We have chosen this resort to celebrate our 31st wedding anniversary/my wife's birthday (same day) and of course, Father's Day. This was our third visit to this resort. We had a wonderful time during our stay. It was awesome! To enjoy staying in this resort, you have to be fun-loving, gregarious, friendly, fashionista and people-person. If you are the opposite, you are very welcome to their neighbours (left and right). I do have suggestions for improvements and I would rather write Alberto, the general manager than write them here.

Who says it's "low season?"... the resort was full and Canadians are taking advantage of good deals being offered on the web! Keep going Canadians! I would say ... 99% of the guests were Canadians!

We loved our stay and would like to go back again and again... with families and friends.

Room Tip: Visit the resort to have fun and enjoy.
4  Thank PAPAKO

Dear guest,

Thank you very much for your help. Your comments are always welcome. Hope to see you again.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Cayo Coco
#1 of 12 in Cayo Coco
IBEROSTAR Mojito
IBEROSTAR Mojito
#8 of 12 in Cayo Coco

Been to TRYP Cayo Coco? Share your experiences!