“Love it, Love it, Love it”
Review of TRYP Cayo Coco

TRYP Cayo Coco
Ranked #8 of 12 Hotels in Cayo Coco
Montreal, Canada
“Love it, Love it, Love it”
Reviewed 22 June 2014 via mobile

What more can I say! Love the staff, the food, the beach! You cannot go wrong by going to Tryp! It was my 3rd time returning and was given an a+++ service! The room was great and clean with flat screen TV. A bit outdated but who cares the weather is awesome so you're never in the room! We were invited to the repeated guess dinner and again it was good, felt special and was able to meet with the Director of the hotel. I went in Oct 2013 with my mom and she really enjoyed her trip, went back with my BF in early May 2014 and he really enjoyed as well.. we've been to Sol Luna and Mares in Holguin together, it was his 1st time in Cuba and it experience was awful... food was not good at all so he was not expecting anything from Tryp Cayo Coco... he was blown away how great this place his ... He talks about it to everyone who's looking to go to Cuba. If you've been to Varadero and was deceived by food I'm telling you, go to Tryp... bi secret here that A la Carte Are better than the buffet so if you can book as many as possible! For 1 year old to 90 years old, you will enjoy. Best restaurants are the Chinese and International! Try the surf and Turf! Langosta and Steak! It's not free about 25 pesos but sooooooo worth it! Animation at the pool or at night is also very good! I definitely recommend this place!It's not overly expense and it's great! The beach is AWESOME at low tide!

1 Thank KatMontreal
ManagerTrypCayoCoco, Director General at TRYP Cayo Coco, responded to this review, 24 June 2014
Dear KatMontreal, we would like to thank you for your fidelity and choosing our Hotel once and once again as the perfect place to spend your holidays, being part of our family already and taking part of your time to share such a nice comments; they are really appreciated, and encourage us to keep working, in order to fulfil your expectations. Our staff works really hard in order to delight our guests as much as possible.
We have been working for some years, and we need to refurbish our buildings, but, we are already working on it; in order to make of our Hotel a more pleasant place.
We will be really privileged if you and your family keep giving us the opportunity to provide you all outstanding experiences and the wishes to keep coming back.

Asier Baquero,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,328)
Reviewed 22 June 2014

I really enjoyed the location of Tryp. I could see the beach from our room and it was just a few minutes walk to the beautiful beach! The pool was excellent! The food( which everyone was warning us about! ) was pretty good! I was pleasantly surprised the grill station was the best. Just don't expect western food and you'll be ok. No one in our group got sick! The nightly entertainment was superb! The dancers are sooo talented! I looked forward to it every night! The general service was very good, the workers friendly and helpful. We went on two side trips there which we highly recommend. We went on the catamaran snorkelling trip which was awesome! Such a great experience! Pilar beach visit is a must if you go! It's probably the most beautiful beach in all of Cuba. The package included snorkelling equipment, two snorkelling spots, lunch on board and a visit to pilar beach! The crew was engetic and fun but also very knowledgable. The second trip we did was the visit to the city if Moron and Ciego de Avilla ( don't know if I spelled that right lol) but it really showed the true Cuban culture! The package included horse and carriage ride, ricksha ride, stops at two hot spots where there were dancers and bands playing and shopping time plus lunch! It was really great! The tour guide was very knowledgable and pointed out key areas for history buffs. The only thing they need to improve upon is the hotel rooms. I was a bit disappointed in the rooms because they were very outdated and musky. They really need to renovate and update! But it was livable and clean. I did not see one big in the rooms( we had room 941 and 942) but I would highly
recommend mosquito repellant and after bite! Being two of each and sunscreen higher than SPF 30 because we still managed to burn. It was also very safe we were a group of five ladies and had zero problems.
All in all it was a very enjoyable and fun trip I would highly recommend this resort!

2 Thank Aturi123
Dear Aturi123, we would like to thank you for choosing our Hotel as the place to spend your holidays, and taking part of your time to share such a nice comments; they are really appreciated, and encourage us to keep working, in order to fulfil your expectations. Our staff works really hard in order to satisfy our guests as much as possible.
On the other hand, we have been working for some years, and we need to refurbish our buildings, but, we are already working on it; in order to make of our Hotel a more pleasant place.
We will be really privileged if you keep giving us the opportunity to provide you and your family outstanding experiences and the wishes to keep coming back.

Reviewed 22 June 2014

When we got there excellent service at the lloby, our room were ready and the view it was beautiful. We did enjoy the a la carte dinner specially the night at "La picua" restaurant at the beach was the best. The beach obviously was amazing!! You can do snorkelling right there at the beach. The bar was really good they have good quality drinks, my favourite was the Mojito and the Margaritas :D. The buffet was decent and you always find something to eat so don't worry and our favourite The snack bar lol!...After all we had an awesome time with Tryp cayo coco... See you next year :D

2 Thank Viviana V
Dear Viviana V, we would like to thank you for choosing our Hotel as the perfect place to spend your holidays and taking part of your time to share such a nice comments; they are really appreciated, and encourage us to keep working, in order to fulfil your expectations. Our staff works really hard in order to please our guests as much as possible.
We will be really honoured if you keep giving us the opportunity to provide you and your family outstanding experiences and the wishes to keep coming back.

Kitchener, Canada
Reviewed 22 June 2014

Ok, MY 'REVISED' review of MY stay at Tryp Cayo Coco with my boyfriend MAY24-31,2014.

Now let me start off I ABSOLUTELY LOVE Cuba and have been MANY times and KNOW what to expect.

The GOOD:

- staff are great, Very friendly & helpful, even the reception desk. Cleaning ladies very kind & friendly

- the pools are nice , we stayed at the 'Quiet' pool day 2&3 only , after that the mosquitoes were so bad even in the day to sit by the pool, so we went to the beach where it was safe.

- the beach is FABULOUS!!! If you like tropical fish you feed them bread or bananas and they will swim around you , cool amazing experience. Private beach so no one bothers you. Water is clear and beautiful. We did see what looked to be a barracuda once .

- food was ok ( it is Cuba) , pizza is yummy

-didn't see any bugs except a couple flies other than the ABUNDANCE OF MOSQUITOES.

THE BAD:

-checked us in late (4:30)

-first room (building 12), our room smelled SOOOO moldy/musty coming from the A/C,,, floor was dipped, uneven & cracked, holes in walls around the light/plug wall plates, wall lamp half off the wall, old wicker headboards on beds, Bathroom, has a shower door for a door, NO vent, only glass window slats with NO screen, we would NOT open windows unless you want the ABUNDANCE OF MOSQUITOES to come in.

- so they kindly moved us to the 'upgraded' room (building 10 ground floor) which did not smell (yay), no unsanitary wicker headboards (yay), newer but badly painted (oh well), but same holes around wall plates (boo), same bathroom (boo), and oh I almost forgot to mention, the closet walls inside don't connect, yes about 2inch space along the edges which I was afraid of what creepy crawlies would come in. So we lived out of our suitcases

- kingsize bed is actually 2 double beds so my boyfriend and I slept separately

-connecting rooms would make LOUD bang sound when patio or front door would open. Would wake/startle us up even at 2am.

-A/C broke twice

- minibar is a bar fridge with 1 bottle of water /day

-wasted Day 1 just trying to check into a room :(

-rude Cubans that were vacationing at the resort that were even rude to the Cuban staff who were working so hard and amazing.

THE EXTREME BAD which RUINED our vacation:

-INFESTED WITH MOSQUITOES!!!

- and I am NOT exaggerating,, there is a stagnant marsh/swamp river thing that goes through out the resort that is filthy & stinks.

-I NEVER seen anyone 'fog' the resort against bugs, I only SEEN twice a staff member with a pack on his back spray the main building.

- we brought 'OFF' clip ons, I purchased Bug repellent at the resort store, tried a day without bathing, no perfumes etc... and ABSOLUTELY NOTHING worked to keep the MOSQUITOES away DAY OR NIGHT.

- I seen ALOT ALOT ALOT of people COVERED in bites . I myself had OVER 30 bites from MOSQUITOES.

- I read the OTHER reviews and am shocked by them.
MY experience was HORRIBLE and my vacation was RUINED all because of the mosquitoes.

- I have emailed the resort and have never heard back from them.

-I have done ALOT of travelling all over the Caribbean and have gotten bitten before , but NOTHING NOTHING NOTHING like at TRYP CAYO COCO.
Even DAY time they were bad. I couldn't even stand outside for very long to take pictures for they kept attacking.

- I PERSONALLY rate this to be a maximum of 2 stars. If they got rid of the marsh, fog the entire resort against the mosquitoes, and fix the rooms to 4 star standards, this place COULD be fabulous. But as is, the only thing that is fabulous is the beach & staff.

Room Tip: Do Not stay in Building 12,,,bring STRONG MOSQUITO repellent, ground floor is safe, bring facecloths...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
9 Thank MissAnnG
ManagerTrypCayoCoco, Director General at TRYP Cayo Coco, responded to this review, 2 July 2014
Dear MissAnnG from Kitchener, Canada,

First of all I would like to apologize for the dissatisfactions you encountered during your stay.
With regards to mosquitoes, this is not an issue of the hotel but of the whole Cayo Coco island and other areas in the Caribbean during certain times of the year, depending on humidity and other weather conditions. There is a plane fumigating the whole Cayo daily, at around 8:30 am. Then a pick up car around the hotel and the person you mentioned you had seen with a pack on his back.
With regards to Minibar, you have an extra payment option of it, so you get beer and drinks daily. The basic as you had is only one bottle of Water.
We are very sorry about the situations you mention in the bedrooms. We are undertaking a refurbishment plan to solve any inconveniences.
With regards to "Rude Cubans" staying as customers, we do have different market segments in the hotel: Canadian Families, Canadian Students, British, Argentinians, Cubans and others. We are sorry if any other customer annoyed you, we have a Qualiy and Customer Department Service always ready to help with any situation.
On the positive part we are happy to read that you enjoyed our wonderful beach, pools, food and Staff.
We hope you change your mind and valorate these positive aspects and return in the future to the hotel to enjoy an amazing holiday as expected.

Kind regards,

Asier Baquero
Darlington, United Kingdom

Tryp Cayo coco
ROOM ------ was horrid and smelt really bad air con kept leaking on the floor reported it 3 times n give up in the end as nothing was done mould all in the bathroom
CLEANER------ they came everyday and very polite and done there job really well thumbs up to them
FOOD------ buffet food was the same everyday pork pork n more pork and food under cooked a lot the restaurants were bland as well
POOL AREA------best place about this hotel is the pool area it was lovely and the pool was lovely and clean
BAR STAFF----- lovely people and the drinks are very strong

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Rachaelt1984, we would like to thank you for your comments; regarding that our main objective is always to improve our services, so your comments are very useful on this purpose. Please, accept our most sincere apologies, for not being able to fulfil all your expectations.
We have been working for some years, and we need to refurbish our rooms, but we are already working on it; in order to make of our Hotel a more enjoyable place.
On the other hand, although, it is not that common to get comments about the food at the Buffet and all the à la carte restaurants, we are taking all the possible measures, working with the Chef and cooks totally involved, to please you as much as possible.
It is going to be our pleasure, if you give us the opportunity to change your experiences in a further stay in the near future.

Brebeuf, Canada
Reviewed 21 June 2014

Although we travelled in May, the resort offered entertainment every day & every nite !
The beach is lovely , you can walk for miles & miles and is all sand !
We had lunch at the grill most of the week , it was our favorite place, right on the beach and our waiter Murrey was always on the go to offer us a great service service !
Lots of choice in the buffets which is where I prefer to go so that I can choose what I feel like eating !

The staff was great & helpful all the way !
The catamaran is always our favorite !!!
The spa was great too !
Thankyou to all the staff, we hope to go back soon

Room Tip: Ocean view rooms / corner suites / top floor are large sunny and the view is breathtaking !
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank Denise G
ManagerTrypCayoCoco, Director General at TRYP Cayo Coco, responded to this review, 23 June 2014
Dear Denise G from Brébeuf, Canada,

Thank you very much for your lovely review, by the sounds of it you had a great time!
We are happy to read that you enjoyed the resort and our service.
We hope you will give us another opportunity to serve you in the future again!

Kind regards,

Asier Baquero
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 21 June 2014

Stayed at the Tryp from June 13 to June 20 / 2014 and here is a brief review.of the Hotel.

ROOMS..... have moldy smell and you lucky to find one that does not smell at all. I checked 3 rooms and all had same odor. Needs attention ...although maid did excellent service in cleaning I thank her on Block 7 ...very good job as well to grounds maintenance very nice and well kept
BUFFET .... Very good food tasty but might find odd dish undercooked and raw but otherwise very good.Garlic makes a big difference .
SERVERS.... I found one or two who did an amazing job but some were just terrible and ignored us, but its common on all resorts in Cuba........could be much improved.
LOBBY BAR AND THE ONE WERE I CALL IT SPORTS BAR
Terrible terrible service...don't seem care about customers unless you tip...arrogant at times and you have to serve yourself cause they just will not do it.......no good guys common.
RECEPTION...... just OK
PROPERTY.....To many mosquito's and strong odor coming from stilled waters surrounding the property. Make sure to bring repellent or you gonna have a hard time
OVERALL.........A nice hotel and we had fun besides those negative points...HAPPY HOLIDAYS EVERYONE

Room Tip: If not for the mold all seem to be ok
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank soavemente
Dear soavemente, we would like to thank you for your comments; regarding that our main objective is always to improve our services, so your comments are very useful on this purpose.
We are also, taking all the measures, working with the Food & Beverages Department (regarding their aptitude), in order to avoid unpleasant situations like the ones you faced during your stay.