“Great trip until after check out!!!”
Review of TRYP Cayo Coco

TRYP Cayo Coco
Ranked #7 of 12 Hotels in Cayo Coco
Reviewed 18 July 2014

We really enjoyed this property. The beach is spectacular, the water like a spa bath, the service is excellent and the food was good. There was always fresh fruits and veggies, great pizza, pasta, egg and French toast stations. Some of the ala carte meals were sub par, but they tried their best to give you a good experience. It was nice to have no begging. Our room was great (block 8, ocean view), clean, comfortable and just in need of a few cosmetic touch ups.

Unfortunately, after we checked out and were sitting on the bus to depart, one of the front desk personnel came running onto the bus shouting our name. We were sitting in the very front seats and identifies ourselves. She waved a paper stating that we owed 4 Cuban pesos for a call from our room to customer service (on site). We were surprised we would be charged for an on resort call, that we were treated like we were trying to get a way without paying and that this occurred one hour and ten minutes after we had checked out and had been sitting in the lobby waiting for the bus. I told the lady that I wasn't sure I had any pesos as we got rid of them as you can't leave the country with the currency. She then rudely asked "well, don't you have Canadian money"? with her hand held out. We paid her with our Canadian funds and she left without saying a word. It was embarrassing.
We were really disappointed that our great vacation ended on this sour note and we left feeling let down. I get that she was probably going to be held responsible for not collecting these funds, but a little courtesy and respectful behaviour goes along way.
This occurred on Saturday, June 28 at 12 noon (if a manager would like to follow up)
We will return.
Marion and Bob Haughton, Ontario, Canada

Room Tip: bring your own thermal drinking cups, lots of sunscreen and don't over tip like some folks do...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank 986MarionH
ManagerTrypCayoCoco, Director General at TRYP Cayo Coco, responded to this reviewResponded 19 July 2014

Dear Robert and Marion Haughton,

Thank you for sharing your review with us on Trip Advisor. We value all feedback as is it is truly a tool for us to continue to do better and continue to deliver the good service that our guests should expect.
We are happy to read that you enjoyed your stay in the hotel.

On the other side we are worried about the issue with the telephone call. We have investigate in our records and found that the charge was made for an outside call to Westjet Vacations Representative not to the hotel's customer service. We are deeply sorry about this missundertanding which was easy to explain and especially for the lack of respect of our colleague when speaking to you, as you said. We will make sure this does not happen again.

It is a shame you could have value your vacation as 5* and then value as 4* due to this issue at the end of the stay.

We hope you can value the global of your stay and come back to the hotel in a near future.

Kind Regards,

Asier Baquero

Write a ReviewReviews (5,970)

Reviewed 18 July 2014 via mobile

Beach was perfect as always in Cuba.Im a Varadero person & go every year but this year we tried Cayo Coco,.Hotel site shows totally different then what we saw & got. Website shows an amazing high class hotel from its pictures but instead we only got the opposit.rooms were very outdated,drunken guests vomited on our balcony,break-ins,room cards not wkng,had to get a maid to open the door everytime we left the room.Family friendly It is NOT true.No change tables anywhere in the hotel or bathrooms to change my kid.had to put him on a towel on the floor in the bathroom to change him at the Italian resto WHEN i asked if they had change tables I was told to go back to mybriom & change him.Only the "International" restaurant was the best Resto & yummy to eat.the rest was not good tasting food at all.some night we just ate fruit or bought snacks at the store to get some flavor.the main Buffet food tasted like nothing literally,fresh grilled food was always raw or over cooked,eggs over cooked,rice was undercooked & hard,veggies..omg I will just stop there with the food.I know Cuba is all about gorgeous beach & food not that great but the food was below expected here which was sad.We lived at the beach bar for lunch cause it was good for lunch so 1week lunch of burgers.No animation throughtout the day,No animation or animators on the beach to get u to come participate at something.No Theme's.we were in our room by 9:30pm some nights.morning was zumba & a kids game & at night the show..Thats it. Its Cuba,I wanna hear live latin music or latin music not English top 10 songs on the radio.In varadero it was live latin music everyday at least once per day.we had 1 amazing night with Haila the amazing Cuban singet LIVE with the 3 Cuban tenors..AMAZING & then thats it.seeing all these reviews on how amazing this "Melia" place was is not true & It is far from amazing especially the food.Looked forward to the grilled lobster they mention & instead I got boiled lobster. It was truly a hit & miss every day.they show these glamorous rooms on the site which is far from picture true..instead we got an old room,Broken toilet,Bathroom door did not close,no drawers,A/C broken,black mold on the wall & dirty sheets.we changed room 3 times only to accept the 3d one.This hotel is FULL of drunken S-Trip students who steal ur stuff,drink & vomit in the pool & throw garbage everywhere..These wonderful staff members work so hard & I have to say I feel sorry for the staff when guests are rude,dont tip & have no respect.Its horrible.I literally tipped 200-300$ this week..they are such nice people.
POSITIVE: Alexander at International is the BEST waiter..staff is sweet & deserve more respect,Beach is Perfect,the 7:30pm Trio in the lobby was wonderful.Sorry for the mostly bad review but personally I will not go back unless its free.I spent lots of money & did not get what I

• Stayed: July 2014
5  Thank HolaLo
ManagerTrypCayoCoco, Director General at TRYP Cayo Coco, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2014

Dear HolaLo,

Thank you for choosing our hotel for your vacations.
We are pleased to know that you enjoyed "Haila the amazing Cuban singer LIVE with the 3 Cuban tenors..AMAZING", the beach, Alexander at the International restaurant and the Trio Cuban Music at the lobby bar.

On the other hand will take your suggestions into consideration to keep improving day by day. We do have a place to change babies in the main toilets, close to the doctors and the chemists, but after reading your comment we are going to look for a proper changing place for the other toilets, reception and Italian restaurant mainly. We do have a customer service in the hotel, leaded by William. We could have had a chat here in the hotel during your stay and get this comment as a positive help directly here.

We have all touroperators informed that during certain weeks of the year we have young students on Spring Break in the hotel.
We do have an extensive animation program, with day and night activities, in the swimming pool area, beach, rifle, tennis, water activities etc. shows every night at 9:30 in the teatre. It is advertised in between reception and the internet cafe, also at the entertainment point in the swiming pool. We are reviewing to see how can someone can not get informed we do have shows every night and rest of activities.

With regards to Cuban / English music, we do have a Trio at the lobby bar daily as you mention, we do play Cuban music, you enjoyed Haila and the Tenors Concert. We try to satisfy everyones likes and we do get requests of English music too. We will be more focused on everyones likes.

We hope you can think of the possitive aspects of your stay and visit us again soon. Our best regards from Tryp Cayo Coco.

Reviewed 15 July 2014

I'm seventy and this was the best vacation I've ever had. My room was clean and comfortable. Maid service was terrific. Staff was just wonderful, so kind and helpful. Customer service was excellent. Beautiful beach and pool's. Activities all the time for both the young and old. And the food WOW, could not eat enough. My daughter was sure I'd put on a hundred pounds. Would recommend TRYP to anyone who want's a great vacation. 10 Thumbs up.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
8  Thank patricia s
ManagerTrypCayoCoco, Director General at TRYP Cayo Coco, responded to this reviewResponded 16 July 2014

Dear patricia s,

Thank you for your glowing comments about your recent stay at Tryp Cayo Coco Hotel.
It brings us great satisfaction to hear that we created a memorable Tryp experience for you.
Our staff will be very happy with your feedback. They will be commended for a job well done. Once again, thank you for your comments and business. We are looking forward to seeing you again in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 14 July 2014

Where do I start the hotel the beach the food the entertainment the management dancing waiters. If you want to go on holiday and relax this is the place to be it's amazing.

What I mean by poor mans paradise ... The Cubans have nothing but there so happy and the sand on the beVh is like powder absolutely amazing.

The food is awesome from champagne breakfast to pancakes croissants and a full English ... Eggs cooked exactly how you want them and fresh omelettes I've probably missed something do much choice

Lunch meat stir fry pizzas chips loads a choice even if your a fuzzy eater you won't go hungry .... Dinner is much the same but always done kind big joint of meat or fish the beef was to die for.

Only downside was the lack of glasses on an evening the week before we got there a group of Canadian students had gone in a rampage and smashed them however we didn't see any problems and the management were dealing with it.

The rooms could do with updating however you are in a third world country so don't expect too much. The beds are extremely comfortable the shower is hot as far as I. Concerned don't need anything else . I don't pay to go on holiday to stay in the room :-)

If your thinking of booking this hotel stop thinking and get booking I'll probably return 2016 :-)

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
11  Thank Lindsey B
ManagerTrypCayoCoco, Director General at TRYP Cayo Coco, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2014

Dear Lindsey1884 from Doncaster, UK,

Our staff will be very happy with your feedback.

Once again, thank you for your comments and business. We are looking forward to seeing you again in 2016.

Reviewed 13 July 2014

Stayed at Tryp Hotel from 25 June - 9 July 2014 with my husband and 2 children in BLOCK 6. On arrival I was extremely disappointed with the standard of accommodation in particular the bathroom. Having read past reviews I wasn't expecting much but I was still shocked at our accommodation, especially for what we paid for it. Rooms not really suitable for 4 people. There is a lack of storage. Only 2 shelves in wardrobe. 6 coat hangers and no drawers. There was no bin and only 2 towels. After 4 days we managed to get 4 towels and a bin but nothing else could be done about the state of the bathroom. We were told that Cuba has different standards. Main problem was bathroom wall was covered in black mould and bath and ceiling were rusty.

Another major problem for me was the hundreds of Canadian students who arrived a few days into our holiday. The complex resembled an 18-30 holiday. Once the students arrived I didn't get much sleep. They partied out on their balconies/porches into the early hours. On 2 different nights we were wakened by drunken Canadian students knocking on our door looking for a party. We had food thrown onto our porch from the balcony above and discovered vomit on our porch when we got up one morning. An airbed and rubber ring were taken from our porch during the night. On returning from the entertainment on the last night the walls and doors of our block were covered in graffiti. Every morning the gardens around our block were covered in litter. In the afternoons it was difficult to get a drink at pool and beach bar as it was crammed with students shouting and swearing and basically taking over the place.

NOW FOR THE POSITIVES.

BEACH
Cayo Coco is an absolutely stunning location with the most beautiful beach I have ever seen. White powdery sand and crystal clear warm ocean. Spent most days on the beach, snorkelling, kayaking and feeding the fish. Victor at the beach was very friendly and helped us get our sun beds.

FOOD
Great choice of food. Our favourite restaurant was the Italian. We dined here on 3 occasions and were looked after fantastically by Ernesto. He was extremely hard working, friendly and couldn't do enough for us.

ENTERTAINMENT
Really enjoyed the entertainment at the Tryp. Kids disco and evening shows were fabulous. Entertainment team are very hard working, professional and talented. Marislay (Mary) from the kids club was brilliant with my two children and helped make the holiday extra special for us. She is such a beautiful person.

STAFF
All staff (gardeners, cleaners, chefs, bar and restaurant staff, entertainment team) are hard working, friendly and very helpful.

POOL
Pool area and gardens were lovely and well maintained apart from around my block which was quite dirty and badly littered once Canadian students arrived.

ROOMS
As mentioned at beginning of this post my room in BLOCK 6 was not of a good standard. However my parents were staying in BLOCK 14 at the same time as me and their room was lovely, bright and clean. The gardens were beautiful and peaceful. There didn't seem to be any students in this block and as a result there was no litter and no disturbances during the night.

WILDLIFE
Came across a huge variety of wildlife on our holiday. Flamingos, lizards, crabs, chickens, kittens, a snake, loads of different fish, huita, giant butterflies, birds. Absolutely amazing.

EXCURSIONS
Went on a glass bottom boat trip which was great fun. Freddy on the beach arranged this. Went swimming with the dolphins in Cayo Guillermo and a speedboat trip through the mangroves. This was arranged through our Thomas Cook rep at the resort and was the most amazing experience.

Even though there were two negative points about my holiday to the Tryp (accommodation and Canadian students) it was still the most amazing holiday and my family had an amazing time. We were all very sad to leave Tryp.

We would love to return to Tryp BUT ONLY if we could have a room in a block away from the Canadian students and a room that has been refurbished.

Room Tip: Rooms in block 14 were very nice.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
6  Thank marly15

Dear marly15,

We would like to thank you for choosing our Hotel to spend your holidays with your family in Cuba, and taking part of your time to share your comments; they are really appreciated, and encourage us to keep working, in order to fulfil your expectations. Our staff works really hard in order to delight our guests as much as possible.

Regarding the behaviour of the students that stayed here in our Hotel coinciding with you, we would like to offer our deepest apologies. We always advice all the Travel Agencies to suggest their clients to travel in a different date from the students stay. Despite we have taken all the measures to avoid the incidents that you had during your vacations, we are going to keep the hard work for further occasions.

On the other hand, we have been working for some years, and we need to refurbish our rooms, but, we are already working on it; in order to make of our Hotel a more pleasant place.

We will be really honoured if you and your family keep giving us the opportunity to provide you all outstanding experiences and the wishes to keep coming back.

Best Regards,

Reviewed 11 July 2014 via mobile

Just got back from our trip and had a blast! Friendly, helpful staff, beautiful resort, beautiful and engaging activities. However come check out time it was a different story. Being told we would have a locked luggage room with showers to store our bags until our flight. I requested this at check out. The male receptionist pointed to and said there. I asked if it was locked and he said yes. What we found was an open area space with no lock. He was quite rude when I questioned this saying hotel has cameras and it will be safe cause they can see if it gets stolen. Unable reason with him I found a kind helpful gentleman who assisted in locking my bag in guest services. Aside from this inconsiderate approach to guest safety upon check out and a rude staff we thoroughly enjoyed our time at tryp Cayo coco!

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Danielle Lynn W
ManagerTrypCayoCoco, Director General at TRYP Cayo Coco, responded to this reviewResponded 12 July 2014

Dear Danielle Lynn W,

Thank you very much for sharing your comments about your stay in our hotel.
It was me who help you the lugage, sorry I did not present myself as the Hotel General Manager. Thank your for your comment as "kind helpful gentleman". We apologize with regards to my colleague's attitude in reception, it was a mix of misunderstanding and lack of experience. We encourage and train all our Staff to improve the professionalism in the job.

We are happy to read that you on the overall you enjoyed our service and hotel; and you had Good Fun!

We hope to see you back soon in the Tryp Hotel!

Reviewed 10 July 2014 via mobile

Had a great time. The staff were very welcoming and happy to help, will miss so many of them. We loved the beach and enjoyed feeding the fish!!! The bathrooms could have been a little better but cant fault the cleanliness. My daughter who is almost 11 was treated like royalty by the entertainment staff and became a fashion model for a night and was also a popstar for a night which really made her holiday. Thank you everyone!!! We made some good friends who were waitresses in the buffet who we were really sad to leave. They gave US presents before we left. Mary, the childrens entertainer was so lovely to us as a family but especially to Siobhan, and we were very sad to leave her. Siobhan is also going to miss Steve who was so good with her. We are seriously considering coming back next year xx

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank alexsabre
ManagerTrypCayoCoco, Director General at TRYP Cayo Coco, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2014

Dear alexsabre, we would like to thank you for choosing our Hotel to spend your holidays in Cuba, and taking part of your time to share such a nice comments; they are really appreciated, and encourage us to keep working, in order to fulfil your expectations. Our staff works really hard in order to delight our guests as much as possible.
We have been working for some years, and we need to refurbish our rooms, but, we are already working on it; in order to make of our Hotel a more pleasant place.
We will be really privileged if you and your family keep giving us the opportunity to provide you all outstanding experiences and the wishes to keep coming back.

Best Regards,

#2 of 12 in Cayo Coco
IBEROSTAR Mojito
IBEROSTAR Mojito
#8 of 12 in Cayo Coco

Been to TRYP Cayo Coco? Share your experiences!