“Lovely resort..great value for money!!”
Review of TRYP Cayo Coco

TRYP Cayo Coco
Ranked #7 of 12 Hotels in Cayo Coco
Yorkshire lass!
“Lovely resort..great value for money!!”
Reviewed 30 August 2014

My husband, daughter (age 5) and I have just returned from the Tryp after 2 weeks all inclusive and had a wonderful time. This was our first visit to Cuba so we didn't know what to expect, although we had read reviews on here.
The transfer is about 10-15 minutes which is great, check in at the hotel was quick. We were initially disappointed with the room as it was a lower standard than where we have stayed previously but the bedding was clean and so was the bathroom. The brown tiles give the room a dingy look but they were clean. The maids make the rooms up daily and change towels when left in the bath, our maid made swans etc with the clean towels which we loved. Hairdryers and irons are provided.
We upgraded our room to a beach view which was lovely to sit on the balcony in the morning and watch the sea. We had a bottle of rum, champagne and beer as part of the deal and half an hour free internet.There was also a plate of fresh fruit.
The beach is white soft sand and the sea warm and clear. The tide is up most days so the sand is damp but this isn't really a problem unless you have children who like to dig in the sand all day. We saw pelicans diving for fish just meters away which was amazing! We also saw humming birds.
The entertainment staff are BRILLIANT!! They were energetic and friendly. There is always something happening to be involved in if you want to. At 4pm they do fun games in the pool which attracts the 'young uns!' and can be noisy but fun to watch..the pool is big enough to be away from the action if you want. The evening entertainment is different every night and entertaining. There is a lovely small beach bar but sometimes the music is a bit loud!
Many guests take their own large plastic cups which the bar staff are happy to fill for you.
The reps for Thomas Cook are very helpful but they tend to try and sell the excursions rather than let you sort out your own travel. We used the bus from the hotel to another beach (pilar) and got a taxi back quite safely. The Tryp advertises 7 restaurants which you have to book into and they are good..we especially liked the Oriental and italian. You can also visit the Tryps sister hotels which are worth visiting.
We were bothered a little bit by mosquitoes so be sure to pack some repellent although it seems to make little difference!!
We took things like loom bands, toothpaste and brushes, soap etc for the workers who appreciated them. The Tryp complex and other hotels stand alone so there is nothing really nearby to walk to.
We were impressed that the manager comes to say thank you at the welcome meeting and also the staff wave you off as you leave which is a lovely touch.
Our holiday was relaxing and we got a great tan..looking to book again already!!

Room Tip: Sea Views are beautiful...we stayed in block 5.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank redhair!
ManagerTrypCayoCoco, General Manager at TRYP Cayo Coco, responded to this review, 1 September 2014
Dear redhair from Yorkshire lass,

Thank you very much for choosing Tryp Cayo Coco for your holidays and for sharing your comments about your stay in our hotel.
We are happy to read that you on the overall you enjoyed our service and hotel.
We pay attention to the issues you mention that help us to improve day by day. We inform you that we are working in updating our rooms so in future visits you will have more options.

We hope to see you back soon in the Tryp Hotel!

Asier Baquero

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,333)
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 29 August 2014

What can I say… Great food, nice staff, white sand beach, good entertainment. Only 15 minutes from the airport, check-in/check-out were a breeze. The a la carte restaurants are very good, Very clean place and would definitely recommend it. Can't wait to go back!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Wildchild2538
ManagerTrypCayoCoco, General Manager at TRYP Cayo Coco, responded to this review, 30 August 2014
Dear Wildchild2538 from Ottawa, Canada,

Thank you so much for choosing our hotel for your vacations and sharing your comments on this forum.
We are so glad to see that you have enjoyed our facilities as well as the friendliness of our employees. It is always a pleasure to receive such encouraging comments and this will be for us one more reason to continue working hard.
Since you are thinking of coming back again, we will be happy to see you and give you the benefits of repeat guests on that occasion.

Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 28 August 2014

My boyfriend and i went here for reading week and we had a blast! the staff is AMAZING and the drinks were good as well. Food was fair for cuba. We had one problem during our stay which was our air conditioning started leaking. We called the front desk and they came and fixed it immediately. Overall we had a great time and would come back to this resort.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
ManagerTrypCayoCoco, General Manager at TRYP Cayo Coco, responded to this review, 9 October 2014
Dear Client,
Thank you for choosing our hotel for your vacations. We are pleased to know that overall you have enjoyed our services. We will take your suggestions into consideration to keep improving day by day. We hope you can visit us again soon.
Our best regards from Tryp Cayo Coco
Toronto
Reviewed 26 August 2014

Allow me to start with the fact that we usually stay at places twice as expensive as our holiday at Tryp. So I can't fairly put them head to head with a 5 star resort from Mexico or Jamaica. We've stayed at other resorts in Cuba so we weren't expecting the moon and stars above. The resort is very dated in many areas, especially the rooms.
William from guest services was a great help with our room request and the room change when we were unsatisfied with the noise at our first room. Our second room was quieter but the a/c was not very cool, but we made do. Some upgrades had been made but many more are needed. Old tiles, chipped paint, no screen over bathroom window that has gaps to allow mosquitos into the room. A lot of wood damage around corridors. One inch gap at bottom of room door gives more easy access to more creepy crawlies.
The pools were problem free and cleaned every morning. Ocean was cleared of sea weed each day.
The food was o.k. nothing to rave about. Selection can't compare to 5 star else where. I would have liked to seen at least a little change at breakfast, same thing everyday.
Biggest complaint comes down to other guests once again, but the resort can't control that.
They could enforce the stated dress code policy for the ala cartes. And they could ask parents to stop their children from running all around the restaurant. But that's what you get from a half price resort. A half price experience. So save yourself some luggage space. You want to wear flip flops a tank top and a ball cap to dinner ...... feel free.
Deck chairs by the pool were easy to get. But if you want shade by the ocean get up at 6or7 in the morning. And it seems some guests (I want to say Quebecers but that wouldn't be fair considering 75% of the resort was from la belle province) feel they can reserve 2 and 3 deck chairs for each in their group while other guests have no chair at all. (rant finished)
So all in all Was it worth the money? I guess so. But I've just become use to a higher standard. One that has cost me twice what I paid here.
So if you have simple tastes, simple needs and the patience to deal with rude guests I'm sure you'll enjoy yourself.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
5 Thank jimmer
ManagerTrypCayoCoco, General Manager at TRYP Cayo Coco, responded to this review, 27 August 2014
Dear jimmer from Toronto,

Thank you very much for your constructive comments about your stay in our hotel.
We are happy to read that you on the overall you enjoyed our service and hotel, and value the price and product.

Cuba is different destination to Mexico and Jamaica as you said, and the Tryp is not a 5* but a 4* All Inclusive Resort. With regards to dated rooms, we inform you that we are currently working on updating them and we also working on other areas, always in a quite way so we do not disturb any guests staying in the hotel.

We are happy to read that pools and ocean was great for you, and food was ok.
About dress code in the a la carte restaurant, to be honest we do not get complaints like this but we do receive comments thanking for being flexible in the dress code. We have a great community of Repeat Guests, we do value their comments very much and in general the comments we get are being happy with flexibility in dress code. It is not what I personally think or like but what is better for the majority of our customers, especially Repeat Guests.

Your comment, about rude guests in the hotel, well I can not agree on that, there could be some, but in general we have very good people from Canada mainly that enjoy their vacation here, they get friendship with place and the people, and many return every year as Repeat Guests. I would say there are many many nice people here, maybe just a few rude like everywhere else.
Now that you know the hotel, and know that we are in a process of improvement, you may consider coming back in a future for a relaxed vacation at a good relation price-quality.

Reviewed 23 August 2014

To begin with, the entire staff of this resort is incredible. So friendly, down to earth, always smiling and brightening my day. Entertainment staff is BY FAR my all time favorites!! Steve, Arcia, Jose, Alexis, Felix and many many more are always up and running around, keeping every one busy, and entertained. My second time at this hotel, and I will DEFINITELY come back again. Food is incredible, rooms are clean and very neat. Beach is amazing, white sand and clear water. Over all, best hotel I've been to! Really recommend it :)

• Stayed August 2014
4 Thank V1996C
Dear V1996C,

Thank you so much for your enthusiastic comment and for sharing with us your feedback after spending your holidays at the Tryp Cayo Coco.
We are so glad to see that you have enjoyed our facilities as well as the friendliness of our employees, especially the Entertainment department, with Steve, Arcia, Jose, Alexis, Felix and many many more. It is always a pleasure to receive such encouraging comments and this will be for us one more reason to continue working hard and improve the operation and facilities of the hotel day by day.
We look forward to meet you here on your 3rd time. Do not forget to let us know that you are repeat guest so you get all the benefits, sometimes we get reservations with misspelling or other issues so we do not get the info match in our system.

Best regards from the friendly and sunny island of Cayo Coco in Cuba.

UK
Reviewed 23 August 2014

I have resisted writing this review for some time as I do not like to write things in the heat of the moment. A year later I am still furious with Thomas Cook for marketing this dump! My family and I travelled here for my birthday last summer (July 2013) and it was the worst holiday we have ever had. The hotel was a run down dump that made a 1980's Butlins resort look upmarket. The entire property needs renovating or, preferably, closing.
The room we were given was damp and mouldy and on being moved to another room the standard was no better. There was rubbish around the building permanantly, the bulding, stairs etc and surrounding area were never cleaned for our entire stay despite repeated complaints; the only response was that the hotel uses that building for the Canadian students so what was the point of cleaning it! None of the exterior lights functioned and despite repeated complaints, when my daughter inevitably tripped on the stairs in the dark one night the only response from the hotel was that we were mistaken that the lights did not work! (Despite our having photographic evidence of everything!) The pool area is filthy and the surrounding concrete/tiles all broken and uneven. The main restaurant resembles a college canteen scrum and the a la crte restaurant's food is barely edible. We also had the horror of watching the manager return unused food from a guest's plate back to the buffet selection for someone else to select!!! The maid service in the rooms was undoubtably the worst I have ever experience and the evening entertainment was a joke. Thomas Cook also neglected to inform us that the hotel beach was a public beach; this means that every weekend you cannot get a sunbed unless you are up early as all the local hotel workers are using them on their days off! The also - despite management's denial - use the hotel pool and restaurants too! The other hotel guests were no less desireable than the destination; there were many loud, drunken Brits and the South American guests were thoroughly rude, the atmosphere being something of 'free drink night on a rough council estate'. The Canadian teens were not as badly behaved as they could have been considering they were all drinking underage but they did take up the entire pool area.
The only decent thing about this awful place was the guys in the Beach Hut bar along the beach and the waiters in the main restautrant.
Basically if you want a cheap, tacky, drunk filled holiday then this is the place for you. If you happen to prefer something better than one or two star standard then please go elsewhere. I have read many reviews on here by idiots who will complain about various places for the sake of complaining but I am not one of them so I do not write this review lightly. I originally discounted the bad reviews of this hotel as written by nit picking moaners; how wrong I was. Every bad review written on here is very accurate and no exaggeration so please take note if you are still considering this hotel. My husbandand I have stayed in many places around the world and my husband said that he had stayed in a very basic hotel in a very poor part of India that was much cleaner than Tryp Cayo Coco. This hotel is absolutely disgusting and should be closed on health and safety grounds.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
16 Thank Trolleycase
Dear Trolleycase,

Your comment is about your stay in July 2013... more than a year ago! You had to write down September 2013 in, because otherwise Tripadvisor would not have taken such an old comment. What is really the point of writting it now?

Well, we do not like that any of our customers encounter disatisfactions during the stay in the hotel. We really apologize for it.
We did have Spring Breakers this year too and we did not have the problems you comment from 2013. We will have students in 2015 too. Your touroperator was notified in 2013.
We can only tell you that some things have changed in the hotel since 2013 and many more are going to change, for better.
We hope to welcome you and your family in the future to offer you an amazing holiday as expected.
Kind regards,

Reviewed 22 August 2014 via mobile

AS I wrote in my prediction of the hotel before we even got there ! (after our 5th visit I should know this place )

This is why we return to the hotel tryp , because this hotel is so special to our family . STILL NO GOLD TAPS OR MARBLE FLOORS if you really want these facilities dig deeper in your pockets and go to a place were their is a plastic atmosphere for guests and were your money paves the way ! (Probably Disney Land but hes not real THE MOUSE)

I am a hard working middle class person not naive or certainty not a fool . So this is why we return and if you take time to review all the tryp review, on average 78% are return guests .... so statistics are proven :-)

so enough of the hard sell ! its back to the review and this will be in a simple way

GENERAL FOOD ..amazing choice for everybody, well presented in buffet..24Hr bar food (mmmmmm
ace)

RESTRAUNTS. .. excellent service, the staff makes you feel so important, the food is amazing, tasty and well presented .

ROOMS AND MAIDS ... basic rooms ! But so
CLEAN !
.just remember to put your towels in the bath in the morning !(our maid remembered us and could point our rooms from previous time and I wish I could mention her name #block10# HOW RUDE AM I ;NOT TO TAKE NOTE OF THAT"

ENTERTAMENT STAFF AND DANCERS ... talk to them they will reply , thats their job which they do so well ; if you interact with them and get to know them you will find a GENUINE freind for life !

BAR TENDERS ... if you wait more than five minutes for a drink their must be a problem either changing a barrel or some one ordering coffee by the bus load !

GUEST RELATIONS and MANAGMENTS ... Completely approachable and helpful and beyond !

THE GARDENS AND GROUND ! ..100% clean and very friendly hola goes a long way !

SUMMARY ?

Its simple !

If your in touch with your reality , and you treat people how you want to be treated yourself . You know the words "please and thankyou " this will be eden for your vacation or as us brits say "holiday"
I hope in my opinion (only mine) this helped as a basic idiots point of veiw ... but this place is a amazing and we will return next year ! To be honest weve already booked ! Xxx

so thanks to ALL THE STAFF AT THE TRYP to making an impact in my families life ....
I cant name staff as I dont won'tito favourites any staff and the page isn't long enough to name them all

but thanks
TRYP

Paul cr

• Stayed July 2014
12 Thank Paul C
ManagerTrypCayoCoco, General Manager at TRYP Cayo Coco, responded to this review, 23 August 2014
Dear Paul C,

Repeat guests like you are very important for us. This is like your second home and we have to keep it fine for whenever you want to come around. You will have more options of renew bedrooms for your next vacation.
Thank you so much for your enthusiastic comments on the Trip Advisor’s site and for sharing with us your feedback after spending your holidays at the Tryp Cayo Coco.
We are so glad to see that you have enjoyed our facilities as well as the friendliness of our employees. It is always a pleasure to receive such encouraging comments and this will be for us one more reason to continue working hard and improve the operation and facilities of the hotel day by day.