“Nice Holiday” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #8 of 12 Hotels in Cayo Coco
kent
“Nice Holiday”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2006

My husband and i have returned from a 2 weeks stay at The Tryp Cayo Coco. We flew with Thomas Cook Airlines and what a wonderful exprience that was. We had loads of leg room and TV Screens in the headrests of our seats, with a good choice of films to watch too, which made the flight go quicker. Upon landing in Cayo Coco we had to queue to get our Visa stamped, then collected our cases. It was a short journey to the Hotel and we then checked in.

The room was lovely, we had an excellent maid called Aida who treated us like family. She always came in every day.

The service we recieved was good most of the time, but we found it only improved if we tipped first. We feel that we should tip for good service, not tip first then recieve the good service.

Cleanliness. The Hotel grounds were always kept clean and tidy and the Gardeners were always out there bright and early mowing lawns, pruning etc, a very friendly bunch of guys. The reception area was always spotless as too were the public toilets. The only downside was the bar area and the pool area were plastic cups and plates had been left they were always left laying around.
The worst thing about the place has to be the terrible smell around the downstairs bar and buffet resturant. It comes fron the river that runs through the Hotel which is full of green stagnant water, which i think they have tryed to make into a water feature from as it has a little concrete Dolphin in it.

Dining. The food was nice, but only luke warm so we had a word with our rep and it did improve for a day or 2 then went back to being luke warm again. The service of the waitress's could have been better, as several times i had to clear our table before we could sit at it and collect our own knifes and folks. The staff seemed to only take an interest in the people who flashed their cash at the tables. As i said before we like to tip when we have recieved good service!!!

The Grill Bar. Ok for snacks in the day time, in the evening they turned it into a Chinese Resturant and an Italian Resturant...FANTASTIC.

Outdoor BBQ. Well worth a visit, a FANTASTIC MEAL.

Pizza Place. Great Pizzas and in the evening they changed it into a Seafood Resturant.

Entertainment. Ok for kids....apart from that i think i will pass on my comments!!!

Overall not too bad but we would not return to this Hotel. I think we have been spolit with the Riu Hotels in The Dominican Republic.

11 Thank SnorkelQueen7

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,286)
england
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2006

Stayed at the Tryp 8-22nd June.
Dont know where to start really! will try and tell you everything you need to know (any questions feel free to email me abimarston@hotmail.com as i'd have liked to have had someone to ask questions!)

The hotel in general - rooms were fine, very big nice air con,very clean, fresh bottles of water most days and the odd can of coke/beer

The Buffet - not bad, try and stick to the meat they will cook for you as some of the prepared stuff was a bit cold...this place is great if you like fish as they have loads! A bit of a smell when you walk in but thats normal i think as the food has been lying around! Nice staff...gorgeous fresh orange at breakfast!

International restaurant - really nice venue, nice food and good staff

Grill - not bad in the day, good at night, excellant service

Outdoor bbq - fantastic, amazing food-try and get in as often as you can!

pizza place - nice pizzas, good break from the beach

Staff - in general were ok but i noticed if you dont tip them all the time some can be a bit funny with you

Bars - slow service at the lobby bar (tend to serve big tippers first!)

Entertainment - not bad but a bit same-ish and very loud. good if you've got kids.

Free candyfloss and doughnuts at night were AMAZING!!

Remember you need 25 pesos each to pay at the airport when you leave (tax)

went on the dolphin trip (well worth the money, get to look round 3 cities too but the hotel was disgusting - they only offer overnigh trips) sppedboat and snorkelling was amazing, we'd liked to have done it twice.

the beach was amazing, and the weather was great...

My boyfriend was ill for 4 days though (maybe food poisoning though nothing looked that suspicous) and we had to visit the doctor twice for injections/antibiotics...we were a bit wary of the food after that but not sure if that was anything to do with the hotel...

internet access at the hotel - much cheaper than using the phone

cigars at the airport are very cheap, buy them there

if you go on the dolphin trip, take presents for people in the towns, pens, hats, paper, they want anything...

Overall a good holiday, not a 4 star hotel, 3 star but okay if you dont have too high hopes...

• Stayed June 2006
23 Thank am16
Cranbrook, BC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2006

I spent 2 weeks in late May, and early June at the Tryp CC. This resort is not a 5 star nor is it priced like one. It was perfectly fine for what I paid to go there. While not as glitzy as some resorts I've stayed at in Mexico, it was very nice and about half the price. The landscaping was awesome, and while the rooms were a little tired, they were clean and the beds were very comfortable.
Food in the buffet was fine, not exceptional, but fine. I had the grilled chicken or beef most nights and never went hungry or had a bad meal. The rum balls in the desert displays were to die for.mmmmm I tended to sit in the same area of the buffet for most meals and the waiter took very good care of me. I tipped him only just before my stay was over but still got good service.
I'm not a big drinker, but I had many nice drinks. I'd take my travel mug to a bar when it wasn't terribly busy and ask for something sweet with rum. I had some great drinks, very few of which seemed to have names. I rarely tipped, but always had good service.
Dance lessons, were always enjoyable and I miss my 5pm salsa and marange lessons!
The Entertainment-I was very impressed by the quality of the live bands, and the dancers at this resort. The shows were excellent and the entire entertainment staff are to be commended.
The Disco- one of my favourite spots at the resort! Latin music early in the evening followed by more contemporay and international dance music. I loved it. If you get a chance to watch 2 or 3 couples from the entertainment staff dance the salsa you're in for a treat. Also great fun when entertainment staff lead the guests in a series of dances.
The Diving- I would hesitate to recommend it for uncertified or newly certified divers as they didn't seem very big on instruction, but if you have your certification and some experience, the diving is great! I don't have my own equipment but didn't have much trouble using theirs. (I had one small trouble with a regulator that was taken care of ably by the dive master) The dive boat can be pretty interesting to get into, but I did 11 dives during my stay and can't wait to return to Cuba to do more.
Excursion to Moron and Ciego de Avila, definately worth seeing the mainland for a reality check!
Tipping- I tipped in moderation, left gifts for my housekeepers (I changed rooms a couple of times once by choice as I'm not a fan of ground floor rooms and once to a nicer room because the hotel was doing renovations on the building I was staying in). I gave small gifts to some of the grounds keepers, and was thrilled to buy cd's from the entertainers who performed in the hotel. They are great souvenirs. I did not feel that tips were expected nor did I feel obligated to tip if I didn't feel like it.
I had a great stay and will happily go back.

27 Thank V_from_BC
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2006

The Tryp Cayo Coco was excellent!!! We went together from May 26th to June 2nd with 7 people and recieved very nice service and hospitality. We had Three kids with us ( 11, 8 & 4). They loved it!! The staff was very very good and they are all freindly. We enjoyed the Tryp very much as there were many other family's vacationing at the hotel and provided much social atmosphere for us and our children. The kids as well as us looked forward to the nightly entertainment put on by the professional and excellent performers. The food was excellent and we had no problems. There is something for everyone and to enjoy. The drinks are excellent and the staff takes care of you whether or not if you tip. We tipped. The beach was to die for and was the best part. We will certainly go back there again and we are missing it!! Chow Chow Mickey Mouse!!! (one of the most famous saying's). Can't wait to go back.

34 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
toronto
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2006

ill try and make this brief and to the point as much as possible.

i went with my wife/4 yr old daughter end of may for 1 week. i will admit the price was cheap at$800/pp all taxes in but this still wasnt worth it.

where to begin,ok here i go:

the good:

1)nightly half hour 'caio caio, mickey mouse playtime on the stage was great for the kids 10 and under. kids got to play and dance, our daughter loved it.

2)the quiet pool by block 10 was fantastic. quiet enough to sleep but still fun. great bar there also. close to beach. ask for rooms 1001-1010. 5 second walk to pool.

3)cigar store by main lobby area. nice selection and good prices. 10% more expensive than at airport roughly.

4)beach/ocean. a+++++++++

5)jungle tour(also known as boat trip/adventure). we loved it. you get your own 40hp boat and boot around for approx 1 hr. you stop off and snorkel in a great little cove with tons of different fish and lobster. price was $93 cuc for family. you'll have fun.

6)pizza rest was ok at best. line ups at times which were a pain because it was at the farthest end of the resort. service there was poor at best. pizza d+.

and thats it for the good.

now the bad or real bad:

1)upon arriving at hotel by bus you learn what cuba is all about fast. and that is we tourists are all walking wallets. the tour /bus guide stresses to you that you have the best bus driver in cuba and that the driver and himself really love tips. christ we havent even got to the hotel and the harrassment has begun. most on the bus were grumbling about this in the lobby also. very bad move by whomever is in charge of that clown.

2)rooms were very aged. we had a great location and the maid was great but the beds were pathetic and the room was arghh at best. and i checked at least 10 other rooms when walking by them all the same.

3)the tipping scheme will will kill cuba in the end. i dont know how many times i went to the bar with a tip in hand and still some other regular whom i guessed was a big tipper got served before me. even though i was clearly first in line. horrendous service at time. the tipping alone will keep alot of people from going back from what i heard from other (from england/canada).

on that subject heres what made me sick. i needed a simple 5 cent pack of matches one night and went to the front desk/lobby area and asked. i was told they had none and that a maid would have to drop them off 30 minutes later. guess what- she wanted a tip. so i paid $1.25 for a 5 cent pack of matches. what are these people thinking. do they not want/need repeat customers. wow

4)the food was bland at best. though the shrimp personally made in the buffet restaurant was great. tip the chef a peso and he'll give you lots. the service was a joke at times. 1 or 2 good waiters when they werent trying to sell you fake cigars for cheap (be careful dont do it)

another thing that bothered people was the harrassment you received by the musicians in the buffet rest and international rest. the piano guy in the buffet would walk around while you were eating or just starting to eat and would try and sell his cd. and same in international rest. hotel owners dont let this happen. tourists dont like cold food. the food at the buffet was almost cold anyway but dont bother people when they are trying to eat. just my opinion.

5)plastic cups were a joke. we had our home mugs thank god. another big mistake by the hotel

6)main pool was disease city. disgusting amounts of floating filth. yuk. your choice. lots of topless and bikinis though.

7)dont get ala carte italian or chinese. bad foods and worse mosquitoes.

8)lagoon stink wasnt as bad as i expected after reading others reviews. 1 day it was pretty bad.

in closing this place might be ok for single guys who are looking to score. a 3 star at the very best.

cheers and good luck!

21 Thank canadianman1
denbigh, north wales
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2006

i'm 19 and my boyfriend is 22, after visiting the caribbean before this is definatley the best holiday we've had. we couldn't fault this hotel in any way. the staff where very friendly especially in the restaurants. the food was alwys fresh and plenty of variety every meal. we ate in the restaurants most evenings with our favourite being the cuban, which was like a small house, a four course meal is served and i would recommend the marinated beef-gorgeous!! the international is excellent aswell.
the rooms are cleaned daily, with fresh towels left.
we did the speedboats trip which is a fantastic day out and quite cheap, well worth doing.
the beach is just like you see in the photos- clear water and perfect white sands, the see is strangely very warm.
tosties are available throughout the day from the bottom bar which are very nice.
will definately be returning to this hotel.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
25 Thank jadelj
A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2006

I went to the Tryp Cayo Coco for 11 nights, it was just me and my friend having a girlie / chill out holiday.
The beach is the best I have ever seen. The water is so clear, they do have a problem with seaweed being washed up onto the beach but the staff work hard to clear it up. We spent most of our time at the quiet pool, it looked cleaner and was much much quieter than the big pool, you get less harassment from Bar staff and entertainers!
Food – This is the first time I’ve done All Inclusive and I expected better. I’m used to S/C holidays and going to restaurants every day where you get good waiter service, good menu, fresh food and a clean table with a full set of cutlery. The only place that came close to this was the International restaurant, the food here was fab! The best meal we had the whole time. The pizza hut was good but there are only so many times you can eat pizza. We tried the Italian and Chinese but weren’t impressed. They only have a few things to choose from on the menu, mainly meat with a sauce. We put up with the Buffet for the rest of the time but found this repetitive and unhygienic, people dipping their fingers in things to see if they liked it, Birds flying around, Filthy table cloths and you were lucky to get a knife and fork. Some of the waiters / food servers I found to be a bit too attentive, yeah I know a bit off attention is nice but when they are declaring their love for you and saying “ You just don’t understand how you make my heart feel” Can be a bit uncomfortable, also having “Chica chica” said to you every time you go anywhere is a pain. In the end we were dodging certain people, not much fun on holiday.
Didn’t have a problem with mosquitoes at the hotel but when I landed back at Manchester I had 10 bites on one leg, Somebody mentioned that this happens a lot on the flight home so remember to spray your legs with mozzy repellent before you fly.
A lot of Canadians had thermos flasks to keep their drinks cool, I would recommend this as I’ll be doing it next time I go away. You only get one bottle of water per room when you arrive, you can get this filled up at the bars but I thought it had a funny taste, it comes from the same pump as the soft drinks so I think you got a bit of the residue. We just ended up buying bottles water from the shop everyday.
The reception staff could be a bit curt at times. Especially the lady that does the phone cards, don’t think I ever seen her smile.
Overall the holiday to Tryp Cayo Coco was just OK. I don’t think I would go back.

18 Thank A TripAdvisor Member