“All round great spot!”

and 1 more site!
Hotel Colonial Cayo Coco
Ranked #11 of 12 Hotels in Cayo Coco
Reviewed 28 July 2014

We traveled with Air Canada in a group of 9 (4 children) in April 2014. Fourth trip to Cuba, second year in a row to beautiful Cayo Coco. Cayo Coco is a tropical paradise and the people are fantastic! The resort has lots to offer.. a different feel than we are used to.. the atmosphere is like a Spanish village rather than a beach side retreat. People work so hard. We were pleasantly surprised by the few lineups for drinks, check in was smooth and the room as ready upon arrival before noon.. buffets are manageable if you go early. Room was clean and everything worked. Most comfortable bed in Cuba thus far with 'real' pillows! No issues with AC. We were disappointed that our group could not get 3 rooms on the same floor given we booked months ahead of time and made this request (they were no where near full capacity) ..but at least we were in the same building. The place seems to come alive in the evening with lots of options.. disco, piano bar (gorgeous!), lobby bar, live entertainment at the snack bar (beside the churros! mmm.. fried dough), etc. Good bar tending skills. Best a la carte was the Cuban restaurant. The beach is stunning and we had a couple days of fun big waves. If I could recommend any improvements, it would be to give the salt water pool some attention, repair some stairs (some are quite unsafe) and offer more water sports.

Special mention to Glenda in the buffet who took good care of us (and paid special attention to our daughter) and Liber (sp?) in the lobby bar for his humour, class and outstanding mixology skills.

Room Tip: choose an upper floor close to the beach as possible
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank Sunny010133
Write a ReviewReviews (1,441)

Reviewed 22 July 2014

Hello, we just returned from a week at Hotel Colonial.
We would like to say that this is a very clean, well kept, quaint hotel which makes you feel like you stepped back in time.
Gardens and landscaping were awesome, staff was great....only found 1 bar tender down at the main pool bar not so friendly at all, but the rest were great. Room was good, clean, with great air conditioning and clean towels and toilet paper and water everyday. The rustic metal frames beds and double opening windows to the balcony just added to the charm. Our balcon was wood and quite large and with a good view (1471). Snack bar had excellent sandwiches (tuna, chicken salad, hot dogs and burgers ) fries were also good. All drinks were good as well, shopping was quite little...not much at the property and even the one down the road seems to have less available. Pools...main pool was good and clean, the salt water pool in areas was good, but half of it is in need of dire repairs and was even yellow flagged (use at your risk ) beach in behind the salt water pool was far the best area...no one there, clean, and the largest sandy area, compared to the rest...further down was not very good.
You will find if you go here in the next little while...that a lot of this property is closed down and not being used ( including many buildings and restaurants spread around the place) even the main giant buffet is closed under renos...but there is a smaller one just down from it..which at times if you get there at certain times is locked..due to not enough space for people and you will have to wait inline outside locked out.
Over all this is a great resort...would return at a different time of year though...due to summer vacations...place was not full by no means but by mid weeks was over run with either Cubans and Brazilians and French which were basically all rude( budding in line...swarming the restaurants...eating everything in site and in their paths.. littering food and cups and plates all over the place....and were of course in our opinion showed special treatment over everyone
else. We really would hate to sound rude or bad but we have been to Cuba( love it ) but this happens all the time, but this was the worst by far for this.
All and all it was awesome and wish we were still there.

2  Thank WeloveCuba0731
Reviewed 21 July 2014

Unbelievable real eye opener!
First let me begin by stating......there is no exclusive side or block of rooms known as"CLUB CARIBE" to Hotel Colonial .my room(1164) closest to the lobby & face the street enterance ,noise of the constant traffic of buses,cars,tractors and the smell of diezil.(This was the club caribe)I i went down to reception and asked about my booking and questioned about the CARIBE block of rooms ,the reception clerk looked at me and thought i was crazy....misleading advertising. So booking Club Craribe cayo coco is nothing special,so if you think paying extra for nothing more than a $3.00 bottle of rum...It is what it is!
next day i talked to Holo sun rep...he was nice and talked to hotel reception for us. all the rooms are the same at this resort,it was just location was the problem.they however did offered us to exchange rooms.
..i spoke to guest relations and she said this is a bonus of bottle of rum and mini bar-4 cokes-2 juice boxes in your frig on the first complete day of stay in your room only...no refills on daily basis! o.k..,I also talked to her about the many problems of this resort ,telling her it was only fair to advise her before I wrote this review.She was pleasant and professional as I was sincere about the issues that we & others encountered .Making this a decision that most of us will not return to this hotel complex.

OUR ROOM and all the other travellers had a huge issue with no water pressure,drip drop.and no hot water....about 20-30 mins of running the water you would get warm water. but such a waste of water while you waited for a trickle of warm water.This was a disappointment to say the least!
beside the water issues the room was a great size ,,the bathroom was large and marble from top to bottom.towels white & fluffy,no bathroom door per say,but swinging bar doors to seperate the tub & toilet from the sink and closet area.not a problem for us.

POOL nice area 2 pools side by side lots of loungers near snack bars , bar area and exercise room

BEACH is long & narrow than years before....the seaweed is sweep daily but the plastic garbage around the back of the chairs is not picked up.looks untidy and dirty.but the water is that beautiful blue and the water sport are available.lots of sun huts.Nice breezy beach bar on the top of the beach with really nice friendly service and huge sitting area.peaceful place to enjoy the view and the breeze.

LOBBY BAR was nice,again great bartender with great sense of humor...but if you can believe it "NO MOJITOS" the whole vacation....no mint to be found .He said none on the island or mainland ...had to wait to go to big city to pick up some! o.k. Hotel Colonial has no mint! other hotel had their supply of mint.better planning perhaps! this is a first in all our 17th trips to cuba,where the hotel had not their national drink! o.k. i will ask for orange soft drink my second favorite..NO.......coke or sprite only! OMG!!! but the bartender said he would mix up a drink close to a mojitio as possible for me....he did and it was most enjoyable..I was pleased with his efforts and good humor to all his customers..charming man.

PIANO BAR was the greastest .airconditioned and fancy drinks served in glasses...Real class act.bartender A-1 one night he even showed up with jar of " MINt"from his home and fixed up a couple of drinks for all of us.A real personal touch!

A LA CARTE RESTARANTS were elegant and delicious.Service excellent
Now the BUFFET. was adequate nothing special ...but you will find something...,always a grill station of fish and another of chicken or pork,,,,but you have to make sure it is well cooked. as they are in a rush to serve you.......chicken or pork was undercooked and i had to say cook it more please!
BUFFET & SNACK BAR is overloaded with locals and families,pushing and ordering all sorts of things..plates and plates full of foods.they eat aliitle and then put all this plate fulls of foods in their beach bags or large purses in plastic bags.UNBELIEVABLE!
Our last lunch at the buffet July 19th was the real eye opener...young couple 20-30 yrs..right beside us ...at first they never sat down just ran around filling the dinner plates with meats and dinner items 8 plates to will exact...then let the cake & ice cream in a 12 in dinner plate melt over the table after a few bites ,they were finished. all 7 others were dished in the plastic bags in her beach bag ..i did not take my eyes off of her,i had to watch this again. oh they left the plate full of salad they never touched it! WHAT A WASTE and this is why perhaps the food is not overly fancy because it is costing too much.The budget must be huge to supply this demand on a daily basis...if every cuban family is doing this,,,far as I can tell everyone is doing it
.IT puts the word BUFFET to a whole new meaning......
I saw cubans in a new light...these people are not poor,underfed, These families are well off .nice bathing suits,& cover ups ,such clothing and so much gold jewelery ,,like Mr.T wore around his neck.I am serious..... thousands of dollars of 24 kt gold. personally i know no one with that about of gold around their necks and wrists and all the females have the fake nails. Children are well dressed....Not the cuba i have seen before...(we were just in cayo coco in march this year with grandchildren at the Playa cayo coco.resort) we are lead to believe to bring things from Canada personal.items we leave or special gifts we bring to them...Who are these people ?? Cuban Mafia. rude,pushy,arragent . This was one of the issue I discussed with guest relations about certain guests filling thier handbags of food..She was the one explaining to me that the hotel is opened to" locals" and they are given a list of rules while they are paying guests at the hotel.
This food stuffing is a daily routine ,there are many cuban families vacationing here...over run and making it very difficult...for others tourists...Buffet restaurant opens at 1pm. crowd rushs in and fill the buffet and by 1:30 they have the door locked so no one else is able to enter.so you wait till someone leaves then if you are lucky there is a emply table and hopefully food left for the second seating.....I was always at the first seating 1p.m.
By the way..the hotel was not full vacancy! image if it was full.

BEAUTIFUL RESORT,a Colonial village ,very relaxed place, all employees look like they a enjoying their jobs,,you see them eating and drinking,laughing & joking.
Even a doctor & dentist at your service offering services so much cheaper than home...with professional results(our daughter had her teeth all cleaned and many repairs done last year while we stay at the Memories Flamingo hotel) at such a reasonable fee and has not had a problem,Even our dentist was pleased with the job well done!
This was the reason we booked this resort this time.We wanted to book a echogram at the medical clinic.and didn't want the bother of travelling from the other hotel!
Let me end my review with the staff are great,hotel is older but has such charm.rooms are fine.
cleaning ladies do a excellent job.internet room is cool and computers work well.a la carte are great .3 per week..buffet could have better selection but it is impossible under the current situation of having people stuff huge amounts of foods in their bags.Water pressure is another huge problem that need to be addressed.
Would i recommend it or stay again ..No but i did enjoy my vacation
.ocean with the peacefulness and the breeze
,slept well,always found something to eat,and was never stomach sick,and was not bited to much. and meet some really wonderful new friends
always look for the positive |I say and enjoy what come your way!

Room Tip: room blocks 29-34 overlooking the saltwater pool looked charming, room block14-15are nice & qui...
6  Thank youville
Reviewed 15 July 2014

First of all, I don't understand the negative reviews. This hotel is very clean, our room was fantastic, bed was comfortable, staff was super friendly and the beach (people, pick up after yourselves, especially your cigarette butts!!?!) was AMAZING.

Food: you want to eat like you do in your own country? Stay home. You're in Cuba, read about the country before you go, there's something called an embargo, stocks are limited. However, we ate calamari, mussels, and shrimp all week so I was happy! They have a grill for chicken, turkey and fish. Fruit platters were plentiful, so was the salad bar, they have an ice cream station and yummy desserts. All à carte served fantastic fish and chicken, with grilled vegetables, it was delicious.

In the morning you can have omelets or pancakes, toast or scrambled eggs. People who complained about that must have a different breakfast everyday when at home, wow!

Drinks: always had something to drink in a timely manner (lobby and or buffet) and if you want a mojito, you go to the swim up bar where Miguel serves it with a smile! People saying they couldn't get served must have been rude or had attitudes with the staff because we always got served with a smile (miss you LP!!). Lunch at the beach side buffet was awesome! You got to sit on the terrasse with an ocean view, so relaxing!

Water: no water during the night because they are improving the pipeline system, but it shuts down at midnight and when you wake up it's good to go. No issues except for the shower heard... made taking a shower an adventure each time!

My only rant would be that the managers should tell the staff to not let the Cubans cut in line or rather, if they do, to not serve them before the tourist who were waiting their turn. Favoritism was a common thing, manager said he couldn't do anything so that was a bit ordinary. Also, there's a lady in the shop that hid a bottle of conditioner so I couldn't see the price ($1.75) and charged me $3.75 for it. I know because I went to buy a second bottle and paid $1.75. She's tall & thin, with short brown hair. Make sure she scans you things, she used a calculator when she ripped me off and probably punched in the register after I left. It's not that I care about the $2, it's the principle. The rest of the staff was great!

Dancers are fantastic, they gave a great show each time! Oh and people, you sit on the beach all day, eat and drink. Is it really too tiring for you to clap your hands for the dancers who work so hard? It's not Cirque du Soleil but they work hard, they deserve more than golf claps.

Sugar Rail excursion was great, but don't buy souvenir at the bar (after the Cuban show in Moron), they're cheaper in town. Catamaran was fantastic!! The lobster meal was sooooo good!

So that's it. We loved our vacation and we had a fantastic time! The Colonial lived up to my expectations and more.

Room Tip: Had room 2362 - it was beautiful and had been renovated (I think) because it was spotless, the balco...
8  Thank Annedubureau
Reviewed 28 June 2014 via mobile

Just spent a week there with my 2 children, from June 20 to 27. The reception service was nothing spectacular and information given was not consistent. (When a la carte is open, buffet will be closed - no, says another and no reservations are required. Not true! We were turned away one evening and yet there were only 5 tables of guests!) The guest services people were seldom available. Because there were so few guests, the buffet was repetitive and I am sure leftovers were served all week! Note to chef: maybe cook the bacon in the morning, it barely looked like it had touched a grill! The al la carte restaurant, when open, was tasteless. The snack bar had fries, always, and at times sandwiches, hot dogs and pork hamburgers. The wooden paths were in disrepair (I fell through a plank of wood by the stairs of the beach bar). The rock paths and ceramic paths were in much need of tlc. The kids park is outdated and dangerously in need of repair. The turtle and fish ponds were so murky that there was only one day we could see them. The entertainment in the day was almost non existent. There was only entertainment for the kids on Thursday evening and lasted barely 30 minutes.
The lobby bar staff was amazing, even to the kids, with the exception of Friday the 27th. It was a different bartender and the lobby was full due to the bad weather. Yoima, who works the kids club, was out sick until Thursday, so my kids were disappointed (they wanted to go back there just because of her). There was no apparent replacement. My son loved the rapport with both Aliosmy and Alexis at the buffet each morning.
The beach could have been better cleaned every morning, but I imagine the hardworking guys on the beach do the best with what they have.
To sum it up, food was horrible, even for Cuba, staff could use some people skills, drinks were good (how could they not be, Santero dark, yum...) don't go there for the entertainment. Next time I will go back to hotel Tryp. (Keep in mind, this was my 5th trip to Cuba in under 3 years, some with and some without my kids)

• Stayed: June 2014
11  Thank Cubanfriend
Reviewed 26 June 2014

We went low season and paid a really good price. We had been before 2 years earlier in December, paying much more and enjoyed it then apart from poor weather.
This time we noticed a change in the upkeep.
As there were only a few travellers arriving , check in was ok, no drinks waiting, no help with cases up lots of stairs and vague directions to room.
The room was fine but a/c did not work, a maintenance man arrived after 30mins to fix it and was ok rest of week.
The buffet and the Italian restaurant alternated each evening due to small numbers. The food in buffet was ok, as it always is in Cuba, except the meat dishes were always overcooked. It was better to eat fresh grilled fish/pasta/ grilled meats from the Chef stations.
Some of the soups were nice, but were reused the next day at lunch.
Breakfast was good with omelets, pancakes and eggs freshly cooked for you. There was always fresh fruit available and the service was good everyday.
The Italian restaurant food was poor, service was good though. Amount of food was small and of course the buffet was not open to get more....
The lunch buffet was held in a small restaurant near the beach, and choice there was limited and it was very hot inside. We only went once. It was better to have pizza/fries/pasta at the snack bar near freshwater pool...service was fine there and they had a full bar service.
The 24h snackbar/bar had burgers/sandwiches etc but it was very hot there even under umbrellas.
The freshwater pool is lovely as it was renovated a couple of years ago, but it did need someone to brush it occasionally!!! The saltwater pool had the swim up bar but needed some TLC on walls etc.
The beach is lovely but take a blow-up float to put on loungers as the plastic can get rather hard after a few hours. We had no problem getting shade huts but think it might be difficult if the hotel was more full in season. We did not use the nautical centre, but there were catamaran rides, pedal boats and kayaks for use. However there did seem to be a lot of family/friends of the employees using them for sailing/fishing/snorkelling.
The live open air entertainment in evenings was good but we did not go to the inside shows as we have been to very many over the years.
The lobby bar was my favourite, Liber was pleasant and the cappachinos were great.
In summary, we had a lovely week there as the staff are helpful, the rooms are fine, the food is ok, the beach is gorgeous and the price was right. It could be a lovely place if they would just get some of the staff to work on the upkeep of the resort.... some painting and repairing of paths etc would really help...but then again this is Cuba.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank scousergirl52
Reviewed 25 June 2014

Spent a week there,from 14th to 21st of June.Reception desk very efficient.Rooms clean and nice.Yes,hotel needs some work and plenty of hardworking people are doing it.Bathrooms clean and well supplied,hot water always,no problems with anything.Cleaning lady was great.Food tasted VERY good and there was PLENTY of it: several kinds of meat,lots of vegetables,fish,fruits,cakes.Bars offered many different drinks.Everyone had big smile on their face and spoke good ,and ,in many cases,excellent English.Public areas were well maintained and if you needed something,you just had to ask.We stayed in rooms 2032 and 2334.There were saltwater and freshwater pools.And,of course,the awesome beach.Ocean was unbelievably warm.Every night there was entertainment.I didn't like mosquitoes(who does??!!),but the hotel was using spray every night.We also brought bug spray.Took one day trip to town of Moron and liked it very much.I would like to thank everybody at the Hotel Colonial for doing EVERYTHING they could so all of the guests could enjoy their holidays .

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
#7 of 12 in Cayo Coco
Pullman Cayo Coco
Pullman Cayo Coco
#2 of 12 in Cayo Coco

Been to Hotel Colonial Cayo Coco? Share your experiences!