“A good resort, but still needs some improving”

Pestana Cayo Coco All Inclusive Beach Resort
Ranked #6 of 12 Hotels in Cayo Coco
Toronto, Canada
“A good resort, but still needs some improving”
Reviewed 19 July 2014

Overall this was a very nice resort. Everything was clean and well run. Not what I would consider a 4-star, but getting there. The food was surprisingly good, considering that we had heard it would be bland. Both the buffet and the a la carte's had a good variety. But beware, if you are a coffee drinking crew, the coffee in the buffet is the worst I have ever had. Not sure how they make it, but after the first day we only drank the coffee that we made in our room. Fortunately I can say that the coffee was the second worst part of our trip, so that's not bad. The beach had some rocky spots, but overall it was amazing. Personally I would take out some of the vegetation between the resort and the beach and make it much more access friendly. Plus that would make a much larger beach area so that everyone wouldn't have to be so crowded together. Our worst part of the trip is unfortunately out of the hands of the staff. I used to think that Americans were the most annoying vacationers, but after our Cuba trip it is definitely now the french Canadians. We have never seen so many rude travelers. Stepping in front of anyone they wanted to in the line ups, teaching their young that it is okay to bud in line anywhere they want. Leaving garbage all over the beach. And verbally abusing the staff just because they did not understand french. They are probably the single reason that I doubt we will return to Pestana.

Room Tip: There are no elevators. So if you are old or out of shape you may want to insist on a ground floor...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
10 Thank RobClarington
MarketingCcs, Director General at Pestana Cayo Coco All Inclusive Beach Resort, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
Dear Rob Clarington:
I appreciate your comment that you found the hotel clean, that is nice, the food was for your taste good and thaks for call my attention about the cooffe we have, we will review it. Posed the idea of the beach we can not, in Cuba we can not touch a tree, it is against the law. But I appreciate your interest in improvement.
I would like you to come back and we will give you our best service with our staff.

Director

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (519)
  • Polish first
Norfolk County, Canada
Reviewed 18 July 2014

Traveled to Pestana July 5 – 12/14 for vacation with my sister and we were not disappointed. This resort is new, well laid out and kept immaculately clean.

Rooms: The rooms assigned to us were on the 3rd floor of Bungalow 1 and had lovely views toward the ocean. They were spacious, had great air conditioning and lots of hot water. Our rooms were kept sparkling by the cleaning staff & the daily towel ‘art’ was a lovely touch.

Beach: Crystal clear & calm as always in Cayo Coco, some areas had little stones & seaweed when you first enter the water – but it’s the ocean & near a coral reef! Junior & the rest of the group made sure the area was clean & beach chairs were brought quickly when we arrived in the morning. Note: Lots of travellers are annoyed at people who take prime beach space by throwing a towel down early in the day then sometimes not returning at all. Having all the oceanside chairs stacked & brought over as people arrived went a long way in solving that issue. Bravo, Pestana.

Pool(s): Large and kept sparkling clean. The pool(s) are strategically placed in the middle of the resort just steps from the main lobby/beverage area, the snack bar & a short walk to most of the bungalow buildings. A walking bridge splits the pool in two, one more shallow for little ones, the other somewhat deeper. In the afternoons it’s a bit difficult to find shaded areas poolside but as the trees grow in that area this may resolve itself. The grounds are kept in beautiful condition by a small army of landscape & maintenance staff who work tirelessly to make sure it looks wonderful and functions as it should.

Main Lobby/Beverage Area: This is a huge, well laid out, open air building filled with tons of cushioned couches, chairs & tables of all sizes. The performance theatre is attached to it. This whole area is bustling from morning to mid afternoon (with the performers practising) until late evening when the entertainment is done & guests are ready to retire.

Check in - was a breeze. We arrived just after dark & were welcomed by Roberto-Fabio and Alfredo. They presented us with a wonderful juice drink while we got the paperwork filled in & we were quickly whisked to our rooms. Throughout the week the front desk staff, the public relations women – and the lady who works the ‘bank’ - looked after any requests we had or money we wanted exchanged & were very pleasant.

Beverage Bar – This is the central hub, from early morning coffees to a final nightcap prior to bedtime. Victor and the entire staff in this area were friendly, efficient and pleasant. Once we discovered that, yes – we could still get our caffeine fix during the oppressive mid afternoon July heat by ordering ice coffee or ice cap, we were in 7th heaven! (Open until at least 2:00 a.m. I believe, afterward the snack bar is always an option 24 hours a day).

Store – The onsite store is small but well stocked with most necessities like water, juices, snack food, etc. (Note: the young man who works there had impeccable English skills & loves to have a chat, great guy.)

Buffet: All the standard fare is served at the buffet restaurant and it is the usual Cuban food. Cuban ice cream is the absolute best – I just wish they’d serve it at breakfast so I could enjoy it 3 times a day instead of two! We had good, attentive service in the buffet, especially from Juanita in the morning and Pedro at lunch time.

A la Carte: These dinners were booked for us by one of the two public relations ladies on our first day and it was really good for planning our time. We knew well ahead which evenings we had reservations. We had dinner at all three a la carte restaurants - Italian, Mediterranean & Cuban themed. Each one is beautifully decorated yet comfortable and the same two servers were there each time giving us wonderful service.

Animation Staff: This exceptional group seems to be everywhere – the beach, the pool, the gym, even on the grass leading tai chi lessons. There was always some type of activity going on from water aerobics in the ocean, beach volleyball, salsa lessons, etc. yet they weren’t pushy if you didn’t want to be involved. They were busy from dawn to dusk and beyond, an amazing, friendly group of young people. When Pinky was ‘In the House’ things were gonna start happening at the pool! Fer’Nando’ and the exceptional Joe were standouts who always took time to stop & chat & make sure our day was going well. Joe has an especially great sense of humour – and he manages that in a language secondary to his own.

Special Appreciation: Goes to wonderful, wonderful Yennedrys (Jenny) a young woman we met on our very 1st trip to Cayo Coco 3 summers ago. She is one of the most warm, friendly, happy, kind-hearted people you are ever likely to meet. She joined the public relations staff at Pestana when they first opened & has now taken her talents to Gaviota Tours, booking day trips and other wonderful things for tourists and Cubans alike - although this new job still has her visiting the resorts on Cayo Coco regularly. To our great delight when we checked in at Pestana, the first thing Roberto-Fabio said to my sister when she gave her name was “Jenny just called for you!” She stopped for a visit the next day, called us a couple of times to ask how we were doing, how the resort was treating us, etc. The hotel was very accommodating when I wanted to arrange for Jenny to join us for the Cuban a la carte dinner which fell on my birthday. We enjoyed a wonderful meal with her and another Canadian who travelled on the plane with us & was staying at the resort. The meal ended with Jenny popping in to the kitchen & emerging with a surprise birthday cake, a lovely gesture and a great evening all around.

Overall, my sister and I will continue to return to Cuba. It’s not just the beautiful beaches & landscapes, the exceptional climate, the striking Havana architecture, the wonderful artwork. We keep coming back because of the Cuban people. At every resort and every location we have visited on day trips they prove over and over again what a warm, friendly, intelligent, welcoming people they are. Pestana has resort staff who exemplify this every day. They work hard, play hard and have the most wonderful appreciation of life. That makes it easy for us when planning another trip and I would certainly return to Pestana again & recommend it others.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Lisa H
Dear Lisa H:
We appreciate your comments and know that you loves this country of contrasts and nice people who only wants to please our visitors, that is the experience of many, and is most notable here in Cayo Coco. The maids take the time to make figures with towels, waiters decorate your tables, animation whom vary all activities during the day, I see you liked the pool, the beach, the layout of the hotel.
Thanks for coming and we want you to come back and we will be glad of being able to meet you again, with the sympathy of the Cuban.

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 16 July 2014

We had great time at Pestana. We emailed in advance asking for specific floor (top one) and rooms close to each other. We got them. It is great to see that General Manager is walking through grounds every day and is approachable. Beach and pool are shallow for our little kids. Waiters (Saidy, Alexei and JOrdanis) are doing great job, always asking for things to do for our table. Our maid in Building 1, Sandra provided great service cleaning. Customer service department (thank you, Youenia and Suleima, and Liuba) organized great birthday party for my daughter. Will be happy to return. Lobby and beach bar service was also quick. Hope to see the hotel soon

1 Thank JannaandGeorgia
MarketingCcs, Director General at Pestana Cayo Coco All Inclusive Beach Resort, responded to this review, 21 July 2014
Dear Janna:
I want to thank your comments in which I can see that we exceed your expectations, mainly to fulfill your requests and for the service our employees have given to you as Saidy, Alexie, Jordanis, Sandra, Yoenia, Suleima and Liuba, I personally will thank them .
Thanks for recommending and want to return to your hotel Pestana Cayo Coco, here we are waiting as always with a big smile and eager to serve you

Toronto, Ontario
Reviewed 13 July 2014

We stayed here mid-May, expecting a four star resort. I've been to Cuba 5 times before and know that the food is not like North American food. I'm not a picky eater by any means but the food here was horrible! First off there was a shortage of food - one day at the buffet, there was only a single plate of sliced watermelon in the fruit section. We saw some crazy things at the buffet such as limp spaghetti floating immersed in very watery tomato sauce with chunks of cut up hot dog floating around in it. One day at lunch, they were grilling whole fish (that tasted like it had been out of the ocean for 5 years) and then the next day we saw the same fish with head and tail on mixed with pasta in the buffet. -disgusting. I was travelling with my two year old and really struggled to find things for the poor kid to eat - some meals it was bread and butter and pineapple. Please please please if you have kids, do not come to this resort. They ran out of pizza dough early on in our trip at the snack bar so no pizza available for a few days. The yogurt at the buffet looked like milk - it was so watery like they had watered it down. I could go on and on about the horrible food this resort had but I think my examples above are enough. The hotel should be ashamed of themselves. Like I said, I've stayed at resorts in Cuba before - in Varadero, in Cayo Coco, in Holguin and I always was satisfied with the food but this place was a disaster.
Beach was nice, staff was nice, resort was ok - it does not look like a brand new resort - it looks at least 5 or 6 years old.
Save your money, save your time, save your appetite and do not go to this resort!!!!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
9 Thank Surfer_Chick_Patty
MarketingCcs, Director General at Pestana Cayo Coco All Inclusive Beach Resort, responded to this review, 16 July 2014
Dear Surfer_Chick_ Patty:
I'm really sorry you have had so many inconveniences in food, I personally try to be in all the services, but I see I did not.
I'm really sorry and I dedicate more to check my operation to prevent this from happening in the coming months.

Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 1 July 2014

We just returned from one week's stay (June 22-29) and my mind is still on vacation! It was very difficult to leave the paradise-like beach, breeze, sun... an absolute dream! The many local sand and sea creatures delighted our children as did snorkeling at the patch of rock/reef.

Special thanks to the front desk for taking care of our large family's needs (7 kids combined). Our travel agent's email request for a communicating room was not well-understood, but quickly resolved and the junior suite we enjoyed was perfect. Our maid, Yovanna, did a great job. Thanks to Geisy and Orlens for their concern and care. I was disappointed that the beach grill was closed, but I understood it is low season. This also seemed to be the case for the à la carte restaurants.

The hotel is new, and the grounds are well-maintained, however it seems the landscaping could use a little extra color and TLC especially in the less traveled yet visible areas. And more toilet paper in the stalls, please!

I had no problems with the quality of the food, except to invest in a better tomato sauce as kids usually go for pasta when all else fails. The breakfast and lunch was very repetitive, but the dinner mains varied. The different ice creams were good, the coffee at lobby and snack bar were excellent, but the desserts were always the same. Hola y gracias to our "tortilla" breakfast chef, and evening pasta and grill chefs. Our 'team Italia' kids were most appreciative for your excellent service. Thank you to Saily for her constant charm and care by our table. And how clean and crisp each place setting was!

Hello to dj Javier (the mix CD is awesome) at the beach and gracias to 'Giovanni' serving up beach drinks all day. "Awaye", Nando and Joe at the beach - you guys rock! You were amazing - especially the kids - they miss you! And, of course, our most excellent salvavidas Yaciel, Javier, and Evel, thank you. We felt safe and secure under your watchful eyes as there were quite a few locals enjoying the beach among us, so there were no problems. I appreciated your calm, fun, and cheerful attitude as the time spent by your side was the better part of our day. We will never forget you! Besos y Hasta Luego!

Patricia

4 Thank MammaBrava
Dear Patricia:
It has been a pleasure having you on site and know that much of your satisfaction has been our employees, I will personally congratulate as are Yovanna, Geisy, Orlens, Saily, both Javier, Giovanni, Nando, Joe and Jaciely . I recognize that they are good and are part of the reason people want to return to the hotel.
Thanks for coming to enjoy with your family and know that you feel we were a good choice.
We all want you to come back and give you a good attention.
We wait for you.

Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 30 June 2014

Beach is very nice. Food is OK. When eating at buffets in Cuba or Canada don't expect everything to taste good.
Bring your own beach towel the hotels now charge you $20.00 if you don't return the towel. Other hotels are doing this in Cuba as well. We bring our own towels now and leave them for the maid.\
The lobby bar and theater are the best place for the evening.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Tom H
MarketingCcs, Director General at Pestana Cayo Coco All Inclusive Beach Resort, responded to this review, 2 July 2014
Dear Tom H:

Thank you for your positive comment and highlight services like theater and lobby bar at night and the beauty and pleasant of our beach .
We wish you to revisit your hotel Pestana Cayo Coco.
We waited for you

Barrie, Canada
Reviewed 30 June 2014

My daughter (teenager) and I had an amazing time at this resort and would highly recommend to others. What was important to us in a resort was beautiful beach and great service, and we had both at Pestana. All employees in this resort made our stay exceptional with great positive attitude and smiles all around! Modern hotel with great rooms that were fully equipped with everything we needed... being one of the newest hotels in Cayo Coco was also great! We loved it so much that we are definitely going to return here by end of this year. I would highly recommend it and will not be surprised when the ranking for this hotel increases very soon. As a side note, there is a large dance club being built in Cayo Coco to service all resorts, which is going to be walking distance from Pestana....the estimated time of completion is said to be at the end of 2014.

3 Thank Irmina K
Dear Irmina K:

I really appreciate your comments and highlight that the hotel is the newest in Cayo Coco and everything works fine, but more important is the service that our employees always provide with a smile as you mentioned it. I see you also like the beach, as you say we will be top-ranked when more people know us and write about our service.
We will wait for you at the end of the year, with the same smiles.