“Charming Hotel in Jacmel. Hotel Florita”
Review of Hotel Florita

Hotel Florita
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Jacmel
Reviewed 4 June 2014

A good business man never mix business and pleasure, but in the other hand the comfort and relaxation is extremely important after a hard day of work. As a business man and an entrepreneur I travel a lot in the US and outside the US and the first criteria I consider when I’m looking for a hotel are, Good customer service, luxury, and simplicity.

In 2013, I was in Haiti working for Benjamin Contractor a small construction Company. Duing my time in Haiti I went to supervise a construction site in Anse-a-Veau about 2h from Port-Au- Prince. On my way back to Port-Au-Price I was exhausted, I decided to stop for a moment and spend the night on a hotel. Since I was new the area I did what any smart business man would do, I called someone I know that can refer me to a good hotel.

I was referred to Hotel Florita in Jacmel. When I called the Hotel I had the extreme pleasure to speak with the hotel manager Jean Ruid Senatus. Who gave me specific information and direction how to get to the hotel from my location. When I got to the Hotel on Thursday night I received a high quality service, the check in process was professional and transparent. The room was extremely clean and the manager was very concerned about my demanded. I was supposed to go back to Port-Au-Prince the next day but I decided to cancel everything I had on my agenda and spent the rest of the weekend in Hotel Florita. I end up staying for 4 days, and I can testify that the place and the service are unique. It is unfortunate that the is not a Hotel Florita in every other country or state. A hotel manager like Jean Ruid Senatus, because that will be my first and only choice. No matter who you are or where you came from if you are in Haiti I highly recommended Hotel Florita in Jacmel. Your experience will be unspeakable happiness.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank Mozart_sony
There are newer reviews for Hotel Florita

Reviewed 15 May 2014 via mobile

My fiancee and I spent 1 day at this hotel. Staff is nice, the hotel is extremely charming. It seems to be a 150 years old building transformed to an hotel. The back court with vines is to die for.
The issues can be fixed: mosquitoes... they should hired a pest company to deal with this or get the 'Vap' or other devises to control the mosquitoes.
AC... the can install air in some room as options for guests that wants AC. You know we willing to pay more for AC. A nice wall system only cost $500 per room including installation.
Back court, although very nice, need some cleaning, and some furniture.
Overhaul, great experience. Hope they could make it better.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank alain c
Reviewed 29 April 2014

This hotel is a unique and charming historical hotel. It really feels like traveling back in time. The Creole architecture is charming, and the staff is very friendly and accommodating. Be forewarned that there is no air conditioning and the rooms are old with lots of cracks and holes for critters to get in. There are bug nets on the bed however, and the rooms are beautiful. The rocking chairs on the porch outside the suites are great to enjoy the evening sea breeze. With some updating this hotel has a lot of potential.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 25 March 2014

The Hotel Florita in Jacmel is full of whimsy.. At every turn there is an object or a display that demands attention and wonder. There are stairs in unusual places, lights oddly illuminating some thing, artwork throughout, courtyards and vegetation wherever.. The service is excellent, the rooms are impeccable and the food is delicious. We could not give this a higher recommendation and hope to come back.. Jacmel is a fantastic destination--very reminiscent of New Orleans. Though it was hit hard by the earthquake, the tumbledown buildings and roads and alleyways only augment the charm and suggest a rich rugged history.. The Haitian hospitality is unparalleled..

Room Tip: Ask for upstairs in the back!!
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank oakboyds
Reviewed 10 March 2014

Completely unique and magical.

Definitely worth staying here since it is central and doesn't require travel which means you can stay out all night and enjoy the city! The internet connection was iffy and the bar is pretty expensive for the area- but if you need a calm retreat with an exotic feel, this place is perfect!

btw, did anyone check out the art work in the bathrooms?? a little shocking, but you never know what you'll get in haiti...haha

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 6 March 2014

I could not stop taking pictures of this charming spot. I felt as if I had stepped back into colonial times. The artisan work on the stairs, vestibules and balconies are absolutely amazing! The attitude of the staff was amicable and pleasant. That being said, do not expect tout de suite service, things just move slow... that is just the way it is...so make sure you order your meals prior to a feel of hunger. By the way the food is delicious. The bathrooms are clean with good water pressure (no hot water...but come on...it's hot outside. lol The balconies call you to sit in the bright blue rocking chairs and chat while having the national beverage, Rhum Barbancourt, and enjoy the scenery and company. Each bed has a bed net and there are towels available for your needs.

The hotel is in the middle of town and behind the hotel, just to the left of the Hotel Florita signage is an artist space. It has a very interesting story, with beautiful art displayed downstairs and upstairs there is space for other artistic expressions such as dance. Just a few doors down from there is a restaurant and bar (painted blue) that has a dance floor and overlooks the ocean (can't remember the name). There is also an ATM that dispenses the Haitian Gourde. This is a great place to stay if you have a day trip planned to visit Bassin Bleu, which I highly recommend. There is also an added sense of safety as you findHaitian police as well as UN soldiers in the area.

The hotel itself is two blocks from a very well planned sort of beach board-walk if you will. It is clean, well lit and spacious and the place for handholding couples to walk and fall in love under a carpet of stars.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Kemsonjkat
Reviewed 25 January 2014

A beautiful place with lots of charm. The artwork on walls includes the very best Haitian paintings anywhere; this feature alone makes Florita one of the top spots in Haiti as far as I am concerned. I am a musician, did a concert here once and also stayed for a week. The ambiance and people the hotel attracts are fantastic; you'll meet lots of cool folks. It's across the street from a local arts center called Forsage (my spelling of the latter name might be lacking...), which is also a cool place to meet local painters, musicians, and dancers. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Jacmel
Hotel Cyvadier
#3 of 13 in Petionville
Marriott Port-au-Prince Hotel
Marriott Port-au-Prince Hotel
#1 of 20 in Port-au-Prince

Been to Hotel Florita? Share your experiences!