“Not bad for a quick lunch or dinner”
Review of El Batey - CLOSED

El Batey
Dining options: After-hours
Dining options: After-hours
Kalamazoo, Michigan
“Not bad for a quick lunch or dinner”
Reviewed 31 July 2013

The food is average, it's not a bad stop for a quick lunch or dinner. It's definitely good choice for a couple of cold beers. It seems to be more of a local place though.

Visited May 2013

Perth Amboy, New Jersey
“Good food but be prepared for 'island-time'”
Reviewed 15 July 2013

We ended up here for a late dinner because there weren't too many places still open with food options after 8:30. We ordered at the bar and sat at the bar to eat. The bartender is the hardest working guy there, taking food orders, preparing drinks tirelessly and playing DJ with his playlist to keep a fun vibe. Unfortunately we waited nearly an hour for our food but it was tasty and hot. There were four people we could see working in the kitchen, just preparing everything slowly. My husband and I ended up getting meat skewers from the cart just outside as appetizers to tide us over. I got the whole fried snapper with tostones and my husband got the churrasco steak with rice and beans. As appreciation of our not complaining, the bartender did give us a 20% discount for the wait.

The wait would deter me from returning next time, but the food really is great. Maybe if I am there mainly to hang out for drinks with friends, but will still order food right away. Try the local cocktail, called bushwacker.

Visited July 2013
Baltimore, Maryland
“So so”
Reviewed 7 July 2013

A bit overpriced. Order the chicken breast and it is just that, nothing more. My husband had the burger, it was ok, nothing special. Service was slow, I think it was the chicken though because another table ordered and their food came much more quickly. It looked like they had all burgers. We ordered Medalla to drink and were told they were out. However, we saw some people at the bar drinking some about an hour later.

Visited July 2013
Dallas, Texas
“Great tasting food”
Reviewed 1 July 2013

Great local spot. For some reason they were out of gas to cook our meal, so we had to wait awhile for them to get more gas and prepare our food. The cook (the owner maybe?) and the young guy at the bar both profusely apologized for the inconvenience and our first round of beer was on the house, and I'm sure our bill was even discounted some because the total amount seemed pretty cheap. The wait gave us some time to work up a good buzz and an appetite. The food tasted amazing!! It completely made up for the wait. I'd definitely eat here again and I'd even recommend the place to anyone traveling to Culebra.

• Visited June 2013
San Juan, Puerto Rico
“Don't even bother.”
Reviewed 1 July 2013

We came in for lunch. There were three service people, and the one at the bar was overworked. One of them spent quite a while chatting with other locals. The result: a 40-minute wait for the food, and the drinks only served when insisted on. Food was decent-tasting (a bit too salty), but one of the people in my party got a pork chop that was essentially all fat.

I'm being generous with this rating, because the place has a lot of authentic local color the ambience is authentic Puertorro watering hole. But the prices are a ripoff and the service is brutally inconsistent. Whomever wants to rate this place higher than a 3 probably has pretty low standards.

• Visited July 2013