“Beautiful Beach! AWFUL FERRY!”
Review of Flamenco Beach

Ranked #1 of 30 things to do in Culebra
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: A pleasant beach on the northern coast of Culebra.
Reviewed 2 April 2010

Like everyone else I agree that this really is one of the most beautiful beaches I have ever been to. The sand is super soft and the turquoise water is calm and clear. I'm not a big fan of going into the water but my boyfriend loved the snorkeling. Not as great as Hawaii but still outstanding. He went on and on about the fish and all the coral he saw. There were some vendors who served sandwiches and kabobs at the parking area. I think would have been neat to camp on the beach.

Now the ferry. We easily waited for over an hour and half to get tickets for the 9:00am ferry on a monday. The 9:00am sold out, but luckily they decided to run another ferry at 11:00am. We found this out by asking spanish speakers because the announcements were not in english. Lucky us!
No round trip or advanced tickets are sold. They will only begin to sell tickets one hour before the ferry is scheduled to leave. We got to the Culebra dock an hour before the 5:00pm ferry and we still weren't able to get tickets for it! They told us that another one would run at 9:30pm. However they wouldn't sell us tickets for that until the 5:00pm ferry had came and left. It was running an hour behind and it took an hour to board everyone. During this time we found out that they were not going to be running another ferry after all. However the captain let the 30 or so extra passengers who were unable to get tickets onto the ferry. I counted at least 5 extra seats around us! Nearly 5 hours later we were back in Fajardo and on our way home.

Side note: i noticed a sign saying that the government was going to spending $2,000,000 on renovating the fajardo dock. They really need this!

5  Thank chicagonurse123

Reviewed 2 April 2010

Best. Beach. Ever. I love this beach. Beautiful powder white sand. You can wade far out into the water and the water is still chest deep. Sandy bottom - no rocks, no coral, no seaweed. Waves are slight to nonexistent. You can bring your floating loungechair while sipping a pina colada - that is how calm the waters are. There is a coral reef that acts as a barrier so waves break before the swimming area. Getting here via the Fajardo is like childbirth: arrived 7:30am for the 9am ferry on a Friday AM. There were 100 people in line before us. ONE ticket window opens at 8am. Line moves slowly in the heat and we think this is crazy, nvr do this agn, people are cursing the system, etc. We will miss the ferry, let's go to Vieques instead, bla, bla. STICK WITH IT! We get the golden tickets at 9am. Ferry does not leave until 9:30am. Get there finally and the beach is beautiful..u forget the pain! Life is good...sipping pina coladas...until the ride back home! Get those round trip tickets on ur way in! Left the beach at 3:30pm to mk the 5pm ferry. People already lined up. Nxt time dont evn bother to lv beach early. Crazy system, but it somehow worked. Everyone got on that ferry back home. Take some dramamine before getting on. The ride can make you sick + it is LONG. 1.5 hours. I love Playa Flamenco, wish I were there right now =)

1  Thank cybill234
Reviewed 22 March 2010

We flew from Fajardo on Air Flamenco to Culebra. Great trip and timesaver, too. The beach was the most beautiful beach I've ever seen. Crystal clear water. We went snorkeling at both ends of the beach. The left side by the abandoned army tanks was a bit more interesting than the right side. Two problems with our trip - our van driver did not return to pick us up as he had promised, and the bathrooms were inadequate, unclean, and we had to pay for toilet paper. A beautiful beach with such poor facilities. Someone should make improvements.

Reviewed 3 March 2010

We loved Playa Flamenco. The water water was the bluest you've ever seen. You feel like you are in a different world with just powdery white sand and green mountains around you. It is truly one of the most amazing places on earth. Make sure you hike over to the other side to Playa Carlos and go snorkeling!

1  Thank BlackJM
Reviewed 21 February 2010

This was my first vacation. I stayed in Isla Verde at the Intercontinental hotel. It was a beach front property. It was a lot of fun, but the beach was not what i had in mind. The water was full of seed weed and it was not white sand and crystal clear waters. When I arrived at Flamenco Beach it was everything you dream of when you think secluded white sandy beach with crystal clear water. It truly was heaven. If ever your in PR take a day for Flamenco Beach. Its truly a dream.

2  Thank gandjBrooklynNy