“Very accommodating”

Ranked #10 of 19 Culebra B&B and Inns
nyc
“Very accommodating”
Reviewed 20 January 2014

We have lots of allergies and the staff at Mamacitas went out of their way to be helpful (giving us new linens and being careful with what products they used to clean our room). The bar was louder on Friday than other nights, but was able to sleep through it. The room was clean, the staff was friendly, it is right in the center of town so it is easy to walk to restaurants, grocery store and places to snorkel. It is only a $3 taxi to Playa Flamenco, but nice strangers in golf carts often gave us rides.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Reviewed 6 October 2013 via mobile

From the booking process alone I should have known not to stay here. When I called to book I had to give them my credit card details, I asked for a confirmation email but never received one. I called twice more to receive confirmation but both times they said they would email me and didn't, and were unable to confirm I was booked in.

When I checked in, I arrived at 8.30am from the airport (I had told the staff this on the phone when I booked) there was no one at the guest house. I waited for an hour and a half for someone to arrive to check me in.

I chose this guest house because of the restaurant and bar, but it wasn't advertised this wouldn't be open for September. There was no sign of any free breakfast either.

The guest house itself was OK, average beds with a clean bathroom. Wifi apparently wasn't working the whole time (the owner never gave me a password but the network appeared to be working).

Mamacita's also charged me twice for my stay, despite leaving a note and several emails they have never responded. I have had to resort to organizing for my credit card company to reverse the charge.

I can understand a hotel might be quieter in the off season, but my experience at Mamacita's was pathetic and the inconvenience of the credit card charges is still ongoing!

Think twice before staying here.

Other advice for culebra - the publicos are very cheap to get around on, $3 each trip to and from Playa Flamenco or the Airport. However renting a golf cart around the island is a good idea as well as a novelty!

Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank markcmclennan

Travellers are raving about these Culebra hotels

Boquete, Panama
Reviewed 25 September 2013

They were remodeling the bar, so the music noise was not there, however there was some construction noise. The location is great, right down town. Our room, #4, has a nice covered patio.. Room was clean, and friendly staff.

Room Tip: #4 is the best one, you have to go outside for the inter net to work though!
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed 23 August 2013

My family and I finally got to visit Culebra. The island in general did not disappoint us. Playa Flamenco is just gorgeous. A search of hotels by rating and price yielded this guesthouse. We thought that for a $120 per night rate (plus taxes) the room would be at least average. We were wrong. The three-star rating and pictures seen on this website were deceiving. We were told that this was a suite-like room, good for four people and a fifth guest, for whom they would provide an extra couch or mattress. However, the room was extremely small. There was barely room for the suitcases and to walk. Only the main area had an A/C, and the bed for the extra person was a beat-up mattress that barely fit in the room. The bathroom was dirty, and we had to chase and kill a coach roach before we can actually go to sleep. Next morning at checkout we told the employee. She didn't even apologize.

I gave a rating of 2 to this guesthouse only because the shuttle that takes you to the beach (for a fee, of course) stops right in front of the guesthouse.

I will go back to Culebra, but definitely not to this guesthouse. Now I know that there are better options than this place. Before you go to Culebra, make sure to carefully research and read reviews from different sources.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank EMC931
Alexandria, Virginia
Reviewed 15 July 2013

Room: Other reviews have said it was loud... believe it! Friday night the music was so loud in our room, I could literally feel it vibrating in my skull. They were totally over-pushing their speakers and the bass was completely distorted. It was so bad we had to leave the room and go elsewhere in town until the band was done at 11:30. Thursday night it was not that bad, as there was not a live band.
There were no washcloths or shampoo in the room. When asked, the office staff said it was because people kept stealing the washcloths. Shampoo was set to arrive next week. This is a $100+/night room... management, just buy some more washcloths!

Restaurant:
GOOD: The restaurant is charming, and right on the canal. The food and service was very good. The ceviche especially was awesome.
BAD: They add a tip ito the bill automatically, a fact that I did not notice until the next day. I tipped around 20%, which was added on top of the 18% they added to the bill. OK, I should have paid more attention... but I still feel totally cheated, and as a result I will never go back. A tip is not a FEE, it is something we give for good service.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JJA_Alexandria
New York City, New York
Reviewed 9 July 2013

I visited Culebra and Mamacita's back in June of 2010. We stayed on the top floor back side with a view of the channel and it was the perfect location. The island is quiet, relaxing and allows for you to really get some refreshing from the big city. Mamacita's is a very simple but yet perfectly welcoming place. Everyone was very friendly and helpful, our room was simple but yet provided everything we needed and was reasonably priced. The restaurant and bar downstairs had some great food & even better drinks! It was simple to get to from the ferry, you could always get a taxi to the beautiful & quiet beaches and don't be surprised if an iguana strolled up to your chair or table to bet for food or simply watch you. We snorkeled with Taz & his wife while staying and is some of the best snorkeling i have had in the Caribbean. We are quietly awaiting our return to Culebra and this time we will certainly be taking friends. A helpful hint is load up on supplies (snacks, food, extra beer or drinks) on the mainline and bring over on the ferry with you. Stores are limited and of course a little more spendy because everything has to come over on the ferry. :)

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Heather C
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Reviewed 25 June 2013

I choose this place because its website boasts it has a restrauant and bar , after I checked in at 530 pm they told me that both the bar and restrauant were closed because it rained , this is insane because it rains here 2-3 times a day
They could not find the key to our room , gave us a master key ,the a/c remote did not work
Which is the only way to control the a/c unit
That's about it , there are few decent places to dine on this island , do not stay here if you think it has a restrauant / bar

• Stayed June 2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Culebra
Club Seabourne
#1 of 6 in Isla de Vieques
Palmetto Guesthouse
Palmetto Guesthouse
#5 of 19 in Culebra

Been to Mamacitas Guest House? Share your experiences!