“Grea time”

Capt Dan Classic Sails Day Tours
More attraction details
Owner description: I love to sail! I do customized sail trips and sailing lessons designed to be just what you want and when you want. If it sounds like fun to you it will probably sound like fun to me - so let's do it!
New York City, New York
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Grea time”
Reviewed 1 January 2013

One of the best experiences. Sailing then a bit of hiking and we found ourselves in paradise on earth. The beach at culebrita was almost empty and thanks to Dan we saw places we would have never seen otherwise. Highly recommend. We were 5 adults ages 56 to 20 and everyone had an amazing time

Visited December 2012

Usa, Japan
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“The time of our lives!”
Reviewed 31 December 2012

We had a pleasant day with the Captain. The 28-foot boat was a bit small for 6 people, but it was fun sailing off to the uninhabited part of Culebra for the day.

Food at our place of lodging was scarce, so we had packed a strange variety of foodstuffs: a whole pineapple, cold cuts, pickles, hamburger buns, peanut butter, and stale vanilla wafers. But Dan was not judgmental. In fact, he gladly accepted our meager offering of a PB&J on a bun.

It was windy, cloudy, and basically freezing at the start, but Dan used his phone to keep us up to date on forthcoming changes in the weather pattern; he assured us that sunshine was on the way. And it was! We swam to shore while Dan towed our shoes in a styrofoam cooler previously used to store our cold cuts, and then we embarked on a hike around the island. Thank goodness Dan brought the bug spray/sunscreen--the mosquitos were out in full force!

Anyway, the hike was vigorous but invigorating. Dan kept us entertained with fun facts about the foliage and cacti. I even ate a cactus berry! When my sister slipped on a wet rock, Dan offered his condolences and instructed her on how to care for her wounds throughout the day.

We'd packed our own waterproof camera, but Dan kindly offered his own waterproof camera for our use. And he even tolerated the terrible warbling emitted from the teens on board!

If you are a person who requires a toilet on board, be aware that this amenity is not offered on Dan's sailing vessel.

When we got back to the dock, Dan recommended some local lunch options. He even carried our cooler to a potential lunch spot. I would not recommend Culebra unless you revel in booze, but I would recommend CAPTAIN DAN!

Visited December 2012
2 Thank Koln K
Milwaukee
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Highlight of Our Trip”
Reviewed 6 December 2012

A big thank you to Dan! Our trip with him was definitely one the of the best memories of our vacation. Culebrita was amazingly beautiful and I enjoyed the hike around the island and the beaches there are incredible. I didn't want to leave! Dan is a wonderful captain and guide - if you don't do this day tour with him, you are missing out!

1 Thank TravelWag0n
Portland, Oregon
“Go With Dan!”
Reviewed 3 December 2012

The cherry on top of our week in Culebra was our trip with Dan. He took us on a beautiful day trip and hike. Dan is also a great resource on where to go and what to do on the island. You won't see him without a smile on his face.

Conway, AR
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Even better than I'd hoped for, based on excellent reviews.”
Reviewed 1 December 2012

My boyfriend and I spent 5 days camping on Flamenco Beach over Thanksgiving. As we are both interested in sailing, I had emailed Capt. Dan ahead of time to arrange a day sail. Dan was just as friendly, knowledgeable, and fun to hang out with as everyone had said! He really is an expert sailor, and a great teacher. We had fair winds for a sail to Culebrita, and we enjoyed talking and taking in the gorgeous views along the way. We did the adventure hike, and it was absolutely incredible. Dan carried all our stuff, took pictures for us, and was a great guide as he described the highlights along the hike. While we ended up visiting 5 of the beaches on Culebra's mainland over our visit, I still say the two beaches we visited on Culebrita were tops. The water, the views, and the natural beauty of the islet are stunning. The hike was somewhat strenuous and definitely for active people, but it was fun and perfect for us.

We thoroughly enjoyed spending the day sailing and swimming with Dan. He was by far the coolest person we ended up meeting on our trip. We got dinner for him that night, because we had such a great time (even though it took us 3 hours to find some!). This generous man even let us use his bathroom for a shower after two grungy days of traveling, camping, and swimming. He gave us some great tips on food (Homeless Dog Cafe, Zaco's Tacos) since half the restaurants on the island were closed while we were there. We saw him at Zaco's the next day, and when my boyfriend told Dan that he'd left his knife on the boat, Dan assured us he would find it and leave it for us, which he did.

Dan made our trip to Culebra a truly unforgettable experience, and we were so thankful to meet him while were were there. I will definitely go sailing with Dan again next time we're in Culebra, and maybe even in California!