“CAPT. DAN LOVES KIDS TOO!”

Capt Dan Classic Sails Day Tours
More attraction details
Owner description: I love to sail! I do customized sail trips and sailing lessons designed to be just what you want and when you want. If it sounds like fun to you it will probably sound like fun to me - so let's do it!
Waterford, Connecticut
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“CAPT. DAN LOVES KIDS TOO!”
Reviewed 11 January 2013

I’ve read so many reviews from Honeymooners and Sunset Cruisers, and I wondered, “How will my 9-yr-old like this?”… Well, HE WAS IN HEAVEN!

We sailed w/Capt.Dan on Jan 2, 2012, as a Family of 3 - and our destination was Isla Culebrita. The winds were a little swift, the surf a little high and the tidal surges were magnificent. In the care of a less experienced Seaman/Guide, these could all be negatives… But Capt. Dan made it an adventure to remember!

Upon request, my son got to man the tiller, as well as the winch, and he loved ‘heeling’ in the wind. We love to snorkel, so Dan let us poke-around a bit while he took everything to shore. Body-surfing was amazing, and we got to watch some seasoned surfers whip through a narrow pass in the coral reefs.

We trekked through the volcanic rock paths (Buy the best all-terrain shoes you can – KEEN – you won’t regret it!) to the tidal pools, and bathed in between surges. One surge was unexpectedly high, and Dan wrapped himself around my son and held him up safely. Next, he took my son over to the volcanic rock walls to peek inside some indentations that held geodes, forming crystals…

My son Jasper took some souvenir stones (including some green "Jasper" stone) and coral pieces from the trip, and they are prominently featured as our Dining Room Centerpiece now – Bet you didn’t know you were an Inadvertent Decorator too – Did ya’, Dan! LOL. Two thumbs Up!

Visited January 2013
2 Thank Shaler W

San Diego, California
“Sailing the Crystal Clear Culebra waters with Captain Dan...”
Reviewed 9 January 2013

During a recent vacation to Puerto Rico, my boyfriend and I were looking for an ideal day trip to one of the islands that would end up creating one of my most cherished memories of our relationship thus far.

We had received various recommendations to day trip to Culebra so upon our arrival to the island from the ferry and after taking in some of the island culture at a local bar, we immediately sought out Dan's sailing expertise. A quick jaunt down to the dock where the boat was kept, we jumped on board and immediately were cast upon the beautiful scenery the island and its coastal waters had to offer. After a beautiful sail to one of the islands perfect little coves, we geared up with snorkeling equipment and took to the calm waters. The likes of a sea cucumber, sea turtles, starfish, and sea urchins lined the cove's floor and with the sun shining brightly and the conversations that were shared, the day was completely won over.

Dan is an extremely adept sailor taking precise precautions and exercising succinct communication while we were sailing. Aside from sailing stories, his stories about the island, his experiences on the island, and his input into our conversations made this experience more than impressive!

I highly recommend this experience to anyone that visits the island!

Gainesville, Florida
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Beautiful evening sail”
Reviewed 4 January 2013

Captain Dan took us out on a evening/night sail around Culebra...Beautiful! Capt Dan is very friendly and wonderful tour guide. He is from San Fransisco, where he charters boats for six months out of the year, before coming down to Culebra to do the same. He gave us some really interesting facts about the island, before we went up to the front of the boat to have a more private experience. We brought wine and cheese, and watched the sunset. If there is no moon in the sky, you can see the bioluminesence of the bay after sunset, and even jump in for a little swim. As we sailed back into the harbour we were treated to the best views of the town's New Years fireworks - very romantic!

1 Thank Ernestine L
New York City, New York
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Grea time”
Reviewed 1 January 2013

One of the best experiences. Sailing then a bit of hiking and we found ourselves in paradise on earth. The beach at culebrita was almost empty and thanks to Dan we saw places we would have never seen otherwise. Highly recommend. We were 5 adults ages 56 to 20 and everyone had an amazing time

Usa, Japan
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“The time of our lives!”
Reviewed 31 December 2012

We had a pleasant day with the Captain. The 28-foot boat was a bit small for 6 people, but it was fun sailing off to the uninhabited part of Culebra for the day.

Food at our place of lodging was scarce, so we had packed a strange variety of foodstuffs: a whole pineapple, cold cuts, pickles, hamburger buns, peanut butter, and stale vanilla wafers. But Dan was not judgmental. In fact, he gladly accepted our meager offering of a PB&J on a bun.

It was windy, cloudy, and basically freezing at the start, but Dan used his phone to keep us up to date on forthcoming changes in the weather pattern; he assured us that sunshine was on the way. And it was! We swam to shore while Dan towed our shoes in a styrofoam cooler previously used to store our cold cuts, and then we embarked on a hike around the island. Thank goodness Dan brought the bug spray/sunscreen--the mosquitos were out in full force!

Anyway, the hike was vigorous but invigorating. Dan kept us entertained with fun facts about the foliage and cacti. I even ate a cactus berry! When my sister slipped on a wet rock, Dan offered his condolences and instructed her on how to care for her wounds throughout the day.

We'd packed our own waterproof camera, but Dan kindly offered his own waterproof camera for our use. And he even tolerated the terrible warbling emitted from the teens on board!

If you are a person who requires a toilet on board, be aware that this amenity is not offered on Dan's sailing vessel.

When we got back to the dock, Dan recommended some local lunch options. He even carried our cooler to a potential lunch spot. I would not recommend Culebra unless you revel in booze, but I would recommend CAPTAIN DAN!

2 Thank Koln K