“Amazing tour with Amazing people!”

Culebra Island Adventures
Ranked #2 of 19 Tours in Culebra
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Come and enjoy small groups snorkeling in one of the Caribbean's most pristine islands, Culebra, Puerto Rico. Experience swimming with turtles,sea rays, and colorful fish through breathtaking corals, while being guided b y certified professionals in beautiful and warm turquoise waters.
Reviewed 23 May 2014

This is a MUST DO tour when visiting Culebra! The owners, which are also the guides that pick you up at the culebra airport, and take you to playa flamenco and go with you snorkling are really awesome! They really take care of their clients and were very helpful with us. My wife and I got lucky that the day we were traveling to Culebra, the Ferry's computer system was down. As such, they (culebra island adventures) did not take any other people on the tour other than us. Also because of the computer failure at the Ferry station and due to other bad reviews I have seen on the Ferry, we would HIGHLY recommend to fly from San Juan to Culebra. The package is more expensive but HIGHLY WORTH IT! We had no delays and were able to enjoy our full day at Culebra. Since it was only the two of us, we started the day snorkling instead of going to Flamenco first. The snorkling was amazing as we got to see many fish, stingrays, turtles, starfish, hermit crabs, and many more. Laura and Damian (owners) even brought snacks with them so that we could snack in between both snorkling trips, which are on the same beach (tamarindo beach), but with a small break in between. After we were done with snorkling Laura took us over to Flamenco beach and we enjoyed the rest of the afternoon there. They have stands where you can purchase food and drinks. Stand #6 was our favorite as it was recommended to us by Laura. This was an amazing tour!

1  Thank Jose L
"amazing experience"
in 18 reviews
"tour group"

Reviewed 15 May 2014 via mobile

This really was incredible. Yeah the ferry was long and I little sickening- so plan ahead and pop a Dramamine- nonetheless still very worth it. The family that run the tour were friendly, welcoming, kind, and very knowledgable. I felt like I for every penny's worth with them. They were incredible guides on the coral and pointed out marine life I would have totally missed. They were so knowledgeable about the area that they took us to the perfect spots to see multiple turtles, urchins, star fish, and so many beautiful fish! The snacks were great too! Flamenco beach was a great way to end an already phenomenal experience. I would come back to Puerto Rico just to take this tour again!

1  Thank Andrew L
Reviewed 7 May 2014

This is a hard review to write because it had such highs and lows in the same experience. The highs: amazing snorkeling with sea turtles and stingrays. The three-person family team was very helpful throughout the water adventures. Snorkeling the reef was also really good - we liked the turtles even better. Having a few moments at Flamenco Beach was also great. And, the pictures they take and post afterwards are fantastic.

The lows: the ferry experience was the worst travel experience our family has had. The ferry ride over was an hour and a half and most of our family was seasick. The tour hosts were fairly dismissive about that when we arrived and seemed more frustrated with the delay of the ferry than impact of the travelers.

The ride back was even worse. It was supposed to be shorter but was longer - two hours. It was raining and it forced everyone inside, but there was no room. Our two young daughters couldn't stand that long and so eventually had to sit in a cramped passageway outside the men's bathroom for most of the trip. In all, we were on Culebra for the adventure for 5 hours and on the ferry or waiting for it for 7 hours.

Until the ferry experience improves (unlikely anytime soon), this adventure is not worth it if you take the ferry.

There is the option of flying to Culebra and that is worth considering, but it doubles the cost or more (to any Culebra company adventure) and we may have chosen something else at that cost.

2  Thank Amberjaymc
Reviewed 7 May 2014

I was so glad i booked a tour with Culebra Island Adventures! I had done some research before i left on my vacation but decided to wait till i arrived in Puerto Rico and play my vacation excursions by ear. Well, the only day that ended up working out for me to do the tour was Thursday. I called on Wed (last minute) to see if there was space still available. Damien answered the phone and was very helpful. My issue was getting to Culebra Island. I wasn't driving an hour or so to get to the ferry - which then was another hour and a half ON the actual ferry to Culebra. From where i was in San Juan, it was easier to fly and not that much more expensive? I had read about the flights to the island which sounded FUN and easy as opposed to driving and the ferry. The prob was the flight to Culebra in the morning was already booked (as they are small planes and only 8 seats) CIA uses Air Flamenco. I started to get discouraged. Realizing that getting a driver to shuttle me to Fajardo, and then buying a ticket for the ferry might be my only option. Damien then told me i should look into another small airline charter (Vieques Air Link). They had one seat left leaving at 9:00AM the next morning! I booked it and Damien picked me up at the local airport. It was super easy and actually a great way to see the island and how pretty it is. So much fun and faster than the ferry. Because it was faster i got to spend an hour at Flamenco Beach which was absolutely stunning! I waited for the ferry riders to get to Culebra and just as i feared the ferry was running very late. Damien, and Diego were patient and we all waited at Playa Tamarindo Beach for the others. The kayaking was great! Very enjoyable and we got great instruction. I was by myself so i got to pair up in a kayak with Damien's wife Laura who is a real expert. The snorkeling was also amazing and again great instruction for novices. The reef was beautiful and the fish were very cool and the sea turtles were so close and spectacular! It was everything i hoped it would be. I can't say enough about how beautiful it was to be snorkeling and seeing all these cool things under the water! We even saw sting rays. I couldve stayed for another couple hours. I thought the time went fast even tho we were out there most of the afternoon. The family is very patient and accomodating. At the end of the tour we got to go back to Flamenco Beach. The ferry riders didn't get to see the beach for that long, as they had to head back to catch the ferry. I was a lone again and had extra time before my 5:30pm flight back to PR....which i was so happy about! The beaches, snorkeling, kayaking and instruction were fantastic! I loved it and would go back again. Worth every penny! Do the charter flights - you will be so glad you did and that you have extra time to relax! CIA is truly a great excursion and take a lot of care into putting together a fun day for adventure seekers like me!

3  Thank Jody M