“Thanks Ramon”
Review of Posada la Hamaca

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Culebra
Posada la Hamaca
Ranked #8 of 19 Culebra B&B and Inns
McMinnville, Oregon
“Thanks Ramon”
Reviewed 21 February 2013

We stayed at Posada for 3 nights in February. Ramon was so kind and helpful to our family he really made the stay nice, showing us where things were on the Island and making sure we had everything we needed. The rooms are rather functional/rustic and there is a lot of noise from the street and the roosters, just bring some benadryl and none if it will bother you. Rooms were clean and basic and had all we needed for a comfortable stay. The ice chest, ice and beach towels provided for days at Flamenco were a real bonus. Ramon was even generous enough to let us store our luggage, use the outdoor shower and return our towels and ice chest late in the day after we had checked out so that could enjoy another day on fabulous Flamenco and catch the late ferry back to Fajardo. Thanks so much!

Room Tip: Try to get a room away from the street although the roosters will crow all night long and they are a...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank denpan01

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
puerto rico
Reviewed 2 February 2013

We own and run Barefoot Travelers Rooms Guesthouse here in Puerto Rico and were on a short vacation getaway to Culebra..love the island so much we decided to extend on night more...but needed a better spot to stay then where we had been....AHA! Posada was the perfect spot for us. In town, on the canal, surprisingly quiet (Thursday night) slept well, clean and comfortable bed. Everything we needed and warm welcome too!
Thanks Ricardo!

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
Brooklyn,
Reviewed 31 January 2013

I arrived at Posada Hamaca in Culebra and received the warmest welcome from Ramon. He was super informative, pretty much outlined all the great beach and snorkel spots, set us up within 10 minutes with a rental car and the rest was history! The rooms are pretty basic, not the nicest, but if you don't mind then no problem!

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank RosieB1117
Wyckoff, NJ
Reviewed 8 January 2013

Highly recommend Posada Hamaca hotel in Culebra PR. The location is great, a 7 min walk from the ferry. And its very close to all the restaurants and bars in town. Recommend Pandeli for breakfast in the mornings. Its up the street. Also El Eden restaurant is great for dinner and Mamacitas is a nice spot for night time drinks/music.

The facilities at Posada Hamaca are basic, but clean. We didn’t spend much time in the room, as we wanted to enjoy the Beaches. Especially Flamenco Beach, amazing.
The best part of staying here is the owner Ramon. He is super friendly, and gives great suggestions and goes out of his way to make your stay comfortable and enjoyable. We had something spill on our clothes in our luggage, and Ramon saved the day by having his staff launder all the stained clothing and we found it hung in the closet in the room. He also found us walking towards Flamenco Beach and stopped and gave us a ride! We were glad as that would have been a crazy long walk!!

Will definitely stay here again when in Culebra…great location, amazing host, and clean facilities!!

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Naod21
Huntington, New York
Reviewed 6 January 2013 via mobile

Reservations:  I called "Posada La Hamaca" to make a reservation.  When you book your room, you get to know exactly your room number, location, amenities and occupancy.  As most of the hotels in town were full due to high season, we opted to stay here and take Room #9 which faces the street and it is two double beds.  The credit card you provide to hold the reservation will be charged in full for the entire stay.  I was not told of this when I made the reservation until I got the email confirmation stating that the credit card was already charged.  This could be an inconvenience for some.  Check-in time is 3:00pm and check-out time is 10:00am.

Location:  Located in town and along the water, this 'posada' is a 7 to 10 minute walk from the ferry station.  If you don't already have a map of Culebra, ask a local person where the street is as none of the streets have name markings. I asked a local policeman and he directed me the correct way.  I even emailed the Posada in advance but all I got was a "it is a 5 minute walk from the ferry" email with no directions or any other pertinent information.  Posada La Hamaca is conveniently located walking distance to anything and everything.... town, restaurants, grocery stores and ferry station.

Arrival:  Ricardo, the  reception desk clerk, had our room and key ready when we arrived in his very tiny reception area, which looks more like an overcrowded closet with shelves on top overflowing with boxes, toiletries, messy papers and the likes.  He is very friendly and, while not forthcoming in providing information, once you ask him, he tells you everything you need to know.  He was more interested in getting back to the computer to play his online games than to help and assist guests.

There are plenty of boxes that overflow the hallway, specially to the hall leading to our room (room #9) which was located right behind the reception.  We had to pass piled up boxes and a microwave on top to get to our room.

Room / Cleanliness:  Once we entered, Room #9 had a room deodorizer that smelled like caramel... seriously!  And it was so strong you felt like you were inside an ice cream parlor. I had to unplug it.  The room had a 'bar' area with a microwave, a dorm-style refrigerator, and a couple of bar stools.  As most of hotels close to water, they do not have carpets (mold/humidity issues) which is fine but clean the floors properly!  I took my sandals off and while walking in the room, I felt "things" under my feet. I had to put the sandals back on.

We also had a full size kitchen with a sink, dishes, pots and pans, silverware, a stove top (no oven) and coffee maker.  Supplies were sketchy as we had 4 forks and only 2 spoons and a couple of knives.  However, as I looked around the kitchen, the sponges were dirty, an old and overused cleaning rag, no dish soap, no coffee filters, no paper towels... I mean, none of the basics were offered.  (I've stayed in hotels that have kitchenettes and they offer the basics stated above).  I ran hot water in the coffee pot a few times and then I poured the hot water over the coffee cups, spoons and plates we wetre going to use to get them properly cleaned and desinfected.

We had two double beds in the room. However, the beds where on wheels and not attached to anything so when you sat in bed, the beds will roll out and move around.  The beds were partially made.  The blanket was just laying under the pillows and you had to set up your own bed.  The Posada only offers housekeeping services every 3 days only.  While walking by the reception desk, I saw guests coming to get toilet paper and toiletries.  Beach towels are provided at the desk.  They are old and overused.  The one I was given had some stains in it and the other one was shredding away.  There is a cooler in the room to take to the beach if you want to.

The television was really high on top of the 'closet cabinet' which had no doors, a shelve on the floor (fell off and no one had fixed it) and no hangers.  We had Direct TV in the room but no channel list provided and it was a science to figure out how the TV remote worked.  It took me the 2-full days I was there to do so.  Most of the time I just stood in front of the TV and change the channels manually.

Airconditioning until was located in the ceiling over the kitchenette and it was very rusty.  We did not bother even touching it or turing it on.

Bathroom:  Hum.... how can I describe it... Shower had no light so when you close the curtain you could barely see anything, rusting rod, dirty shower curtain, sink that would 'wobble', not hot water pressure out of the sink and just yukky....  It was a weird set up.  The bathroom door did not close properly and made an awful noise every time you opened it.

Amenities:  The hotel is located right next door to "Mamacitas" which has a bar and restaurant.  The hotel has a dock with a couple of tables and two chairs in the back facing the water which could use some sprucing up.  No other amenities.  There are city maps on a shelve in front of the 'reception' window and a few informational pamphlets hanging of the cork-board in the hallway.

Overnight Experience:  Since the Posada is next to "Mamacitas" bar, there is a constant flow of loud people walking by our windows, being noisy and obnoxious.  Then, in the early morning hours, you do hear the rosters from across the street, trucks and traffic.  We barely slept and most of my sleep I did while laying at the beach.  If you cannot reserve a room facing the water or the back of the hotel, do not book here.  The street noise will keep you up all night.

Checkout:  As we already pre-paid our stay, there was nothing to do than to give our room key.  After seeing how this place is run, I think the 10:00 am check-out time is a little extreme, counting the fact that the place has a few rooms, housekeeping is offered every 3-days only and the cleaning job is minimal.  However, the hotel offers a shower and 'lockers' to leave your bags whle you enjoy your last day in Culebra.

Final Score:

Hotel Amenities: 1.5 out of 5.0

Overnight Experience: 0.0 out of 5.0

Checkout Experience: 2.0 out of 5.0

Final Score: 14 out of 40 / 35% of F Grade

Final Comments:  While the location is great, I would avoid staying here, unless you want to party all night and be in the middle of town and dealing with all of the issues that come with it.  I reccomend going to Bahia Marina or Sea Breeze Hotel.  These are located a bit inland (probably need to rent a car or rely on the very unreliable taxi services) but the crowd is more upscale, views are panoramic and amazing, great hotel amenities such as restaurants, bar, pools, clean and modern rooms and friendlier staff.

Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Flyairhost
london
Reviewed 26 October 2012

place is dirty and smelly, on top of that forget about sleeping becouse from 3am you will hear cocks giving a concert. Also if you ask at teh reception where can you go for food, all restuarant we went to were closed due to off season - why someone there would not know that???!!!

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank aaj250811
va
Reviewed 20 September 2012

Pretty basic but mostly clean place, about 10 minute walk from ferry dock. Can walk to restaurants, or catch a cab (for $3 per person) to Playa Flamenco. Check out is at 10am but they have an area to store bags and shower later in the day.

I'd have no problem staying here again.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank jl21Va
Also consider these accommodations in or near Culebra
Club Seabourne
#10 of 19 in Culebra
Casa Robinson
Casa Robinson
#6 of 20 in Culebra

Been to Posada la Hamaca? Share your experiences!